PDA

View Full Version : Table Captain Drops Rib Box

Exe-que-tioner
10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Judged the 33rd American Royal Open contest this past Sunday. The table captain just diagonally behind the table I was seated at dropped a teams rib entry. :doh: Appeared to be the first box taken out of the tray for the judges at that table to judge for the appearance score. At least two ribs (and garnish) that I could see were on the concrete floor and not sure where the others had landed. Arms by the judges at the table were raised immediately to signal for the contest rep, in which they promptly responded. Just curious to how this rib entry would be judged from this point forward? How is the appearance score handled, and if there were two or more ribs that ended up on the floor (assuming they only had 6 in the box), how would they judge the entry? And at last, do they notify the team of the mishap.....? :confused:

Teamfour
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM
4.12 Dropped Entry
Question: What happens when an entry is dropped?
Opinion: If an entry is dropped before being judged for Appearance all the judges are to give the
entry the highest score on that table on APPEARANCE.
Generally, not every piece of meat hits the floor. Try and salvage any meat that may not have been
contaminated. Divide the meat into as many pieces as necessary, so all the judges can get a sample.
If the entry is dropped while the judges are passing the entry around the table, you may be able to
get enough of the entry from one of the judges, who had already taken a sample. If you have a
judge who refuses to sample the dropped product, ask for a volunteer from one of the other tables.
As a last resort, give the entry the highest score on taste and tenderness, of all the other entries, for
that category, at that table.
If all six entries are dropped and no meat is salvageable from any container; then each entry shall be
given a score equal to the highest score given for that category, at that contest.

moocow
10-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Do they notify the team?

Buckscent
10-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Dang, according to that I am going to pray they drop all my
Entries from now on :).

drbbq
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking of oiling up the bottom of the box and loading everything on one side to encourage dropping :)

Dr_KY
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
120 volts wired in should do the trick.

Smoke'n Ice
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
A pizo crystal attached to the lid should do the trick :twisted:

Slamdunkpro
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Do they notify the team?
They do not.

Untraceable
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Is that how a team got a 180 in ribs?

FatBoyz
10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking of oiling up the bottom of the box and loading everything on one side to encourage dropping :)
you been doing that for years ray right....sorry going to my room ,,,,lol

Outnumbered
10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

If I understand the rules correctly, it would be difficult to not get a 180 on a dropped box. Unless you got a really crappy table with 5 really horrible entries.

lazyjacres
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
They do not.

They are supposed to.

wmaes47
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Those were the worst boxes I have ever handled at a contest...

They were flimsy and flexed with every move...

Several of the boxes at my table had cracks in the sides or cracks were created when passed to each judge...

As a TC, I cringed every time a judge passed the box...

AR should be able to afford better boxes... As HEFTY

Big Poppa
10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Ill say we had to be so careful with the latch area....

Q-Dat
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM

One team got a 180 in ribs in the invitational, and I promise that wernt no sympathy score.

Mogator
10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
It was interesting for sure, I saw the dropped box..and we too had several that cracked and had to ensure we held the bottom and sides.There were other issues too as with any contest, but getting the same box number for multiple categories bothered me more than other issues

bigdogphin
10-09-2012, 11:29 PM
It was interesting for sure, I saw the dropped box..and we too had several that cracked and had to ensure we held the bottom and sides.There were other issues too as with any contest, but getting the same box number for multiple categories bothered me more than other issues

How does that happen in contest that large?

Mogator
10-09-2012, 11:55 PM
honestly the only thing we could think of was our table capt was last to receive trays in two categories..and oddly those were the two times we had the duplicate box numbers..but yeah with 500+ teams it was shocking to say the least

gmholler
10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Actually, I just complained to Hefty about how flimsy and easily broken this latest batch of boxes has been(not that they actually answered me, tho). I had *thought* this problem was confined to just the Lafayette, LA Sams, where I get the boxes (which would make sense to me - we always seem to get the junk! It never fails, if I stop by another store, the other store always has a much wider selection and better stuff!). It's nice to be able to get them in relatively small quantities and it's convenient, as the Sams here isn't far from my house, but now I guess I'll have to go to a restaurant supply store and buy in bulk...

Lynn H.

Bunny
10-10-2012, 08:31 AM
They do not.

At the American Royal they do not but it should be reported to the team after the awards with explanation.

QansasjayhawQ
10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
The dropped box happened at table 88

I was at table 89

According to the opinion provided earlier in this thread, the rep (Linda Polson) handled it perfectly. The highest score given was a 9 and all the judges were instructed to give the entry a 9 in appearance.

Even so, I still felt sorry for the poor guy who dropped the box. I would have felt horrible.

Outnumbered
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
According to the opinion provided earlier in this thread, the rep (Linda Polson) handled it perfectly. The highest score given was a 9 and all the judges were instructed to give the entry a 9 in appearance.

Well that proves it. It was not my box. :biggrin1:

bigabyte
10-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Well that proves it. It was not my box. :biggrin1:

^^^THAT was farking funny.:laugh:

WAsn't ours either, our ribs tanked. Funny enough, we cracked the side of our own rib box wiping it down to clean up. Here I thought we were being idiots...but it seems it was more of a problem with the boxes.

PatAttack
10-10-2012, 11:08 AM

WAsn't ours either, our ribs tanked. Funny enough, we cracked the side of our own rib box wiping it down to clean up. Here I thought we were being idiots...but it seems it was more of a problem with the boxes.

I still say that had something to do with it!:laugh:

bigabyte
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I still say that had something to do with it!:laugh:

Good point.:laugh:

boogiesnap
10-10-2012, 01:25 PM

interesting, i've never had a problem with a box after i put my rib in it.

:bow:

:bolt:

Westexbbq
10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I always wondered and now I know.

djqualls
10-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know If we will get the judges scores for the Open, or just the wrighted cumulative. I would really like to see the indivudal scores.

didisea
10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I really like the Pactiv EarthChoice SmartLock boxes we use:
I hate to think about how many stryrofoam boxes are now forever in the KC landfill.

http://www.pactiv.com/products_na/foodservice/data/EarthChoice.pdf

Slamdunkpro
10-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know If we will get the judges scores for the Open, or just the wrighted cumulative. I would really like to see the indivudal scores.
If it works like last year they mail them to the head cook.

kenthanson
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I really like the Pactiv EarthChoice SmartLock boxes we use:
I hate to think about how many stryrofoam boxes are now forever in the KC landfill.

http://www.pactiv.com/products_na/foodservice/data/EarthChoice.pdf

These are the boxes we use in PNWBA contests and they are really nice to use and are very sturdy. Had to only have one box replaced because as soon as we got our boxes a wind storm came up and blew our stuff all over the place and lost a box and our barcodes.