PDA

View Full Version : Memphis BBQ Burger

Gore
10-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Since this section is devoted to restaurant reviews, I think it appropriate to include one here. Granted, Hardee's is a chain, but it has received a bit of attention in Q-Talk

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143405&highlight=hardee%27s

and also in the Wood Pile:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142758&highlight=hardee%27s

The advertising made the burger look pretty tasty, so I figured I had to check it out:

BBQ's Best Pair - The Memphis BBQ Thickburger at Hardee's - YouTube

Heck, they even have a Director's Cut:

DIRECTOR'S CUT: BBQ's Best Pair - Memphis BBQ Burger at Carl's Jr. & Hardees - YouTube

So, on my way to NC, I stop at my favorite Hardee's (mainly because it's located next to the cheapest gas station on the way).

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/restaurants/IMG_0120.jpg

I ordered the 1/3 pounder. It's not nearly as pretty as the advertisements, but I was assured it was made specially for me by Sara Underwood.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/restaurants/IMG_0115.jpg

OK, it didn't look nearly as good as the adverts, but it really had a lot going for it.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/restaurants/IMG_0118.jpg

You can see there is a healthy amount of crunchy fried oniony things on the top. They added a lot of flavor and good texture feedback. I was expecting more pork, but it actually was a good balance with the burger. The pulled pork had a slight bacony flavor and the sauce was the typical generic sweet sauce as you'd expect. Overall, I was quite pleased with the burger. Yeah, it was faux BBQ, but very satisfying and taste-wise, it was easily better than half the real BBQ I've gotten at BBQ restaurants.

1MoreFord
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm not convinced the burger looks tasty but I do see some things that just have to be tasty:twisted:

ETA
Now that I've gotten past the tasty stuff; based on your no doubt excellant pallete and the fact that there's a nearby Hardies I haven't helped survive the economy in some time I might have to give this a try. Gotta be better than the postponed McRib.:boxing:

Seems you've replied faster than my gettin' drunk arse could edit.:oops:

Gore
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
The burger definitely tastes much better than it looks. I have no idea about the other items. :becky:

1MoreFord
10-01-2012, 09:26 PM
The burger definitely tastes much better than it looks. I have no idea about the other items. :becky:

But I bet you have several Fantasies:twisted:

Corky
10-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Had one. It was pretty tasty, as are most burgers at Carl's Jr/Hardies.

landarc
10-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Gore, I am glad to see you are willing to take one for the team. It sounds good. And made by Sara, well, thems some fine cooties.

bigabyte
10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I have to say, I am not too surprised it was good. I think Hardee's is about the only big fast food chain burger I can get much enjoyment from, and they rarely disappoint. They seem to have the unhealthy twisted mindset that I do.

Actually, I like Wendy's Baconator too. I think that about wraps it up though.

Gore
10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I have to say, I am not too surprised it was good. I think Hardee's is about the only big fast food chain burger I can get much enjoyment from, and they rarely disappoint. They seem to have the unhealthy twisted mindset that I do.

Actually, I like Wendy's Baconator too. I think that about wraps it up though.

I'd pretty much have to agree. I only stop sometimes on my way to or from North Carolina -- the BBQ en route pretty much sucks around lunchtime and I've tried all the local places in the area and they're disappointing. About the only thing else I can stomach fast-food-wise are the salads :roll:, but for some reason, I can still eat Hardee's and their specialty sandwiches are normally pretty good. I liked their bleu-cheese steakburger and was sorry to see that go. Carl's Jr used to have a bacon-guacamole burger that was really nice, but I last was at Carl's Jr 25 years ago and Hardee's doesn't carry that one. They had a guacamole burger once, but it was different than what Carl's Jr used to carry. :noidea: Haven't had Wendy's in years. Really though, the purpose for this post was to give Bob a case of cooties.

deguerre
10-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I still think it's sad that they waited several years after pulling out (Insert bad pun) of the Memphis market to release a Memphis themed burger.

wnkt
10-03-2012, 08:49 AM
I tried one yesterday myself...all I could taste was the bbq sauce on the, what I thought was more or less crockpot Q. there was hardly any of the onion straw thingys....the burger patty was just... there...

All in All....I give it 2 Golden "Meh's" out of 10

The advertising/pics of the burgers are ALWAYS better than the real thing in the wrapper

deguerre
10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I think it would be funny if you opened the sandwich at the counter and asked for your money back because you didn't get what you ordered while pointing at the picture. Now, if only everyone did that...oh fark it. Maybe we should just follow Michael Douglas' example.

wnkt
10-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I thought about going up and asking where the onion straws were...anyways...Ill stick to Bacon Deluxe at Wendys and the Double Whopper at BK

Gore
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I tried one yesterday myself...all I could taste was the bbq sauce on the, what I thought was more or less crockpot Q. there was hardly any of the onion straw thingys....the burger patty was just... there...

All in All....I give it 2 Golden "Meh's" out of 10

The advertising/pics of the burgers are ALWAYS better than the real thing in the wrapper

I have had burgers made before with too much sauce and find them barely tolerable, and it is a pity that yours did not have many of those onion straw thingies. The one I had was much better balanced. I would hypothesize that the burger you had was not made by Sara Underwood and was the half-hearted effort of some flunkie. :tsk:

deguerre
10-03-2012, 09:31 AM
So it was actually Sara Underpants and not your kielbasa that disturbed that other guest?

gtr
10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
If selling those burgers helps support these nice young ladies, then I'm in favor. :thumb: If this turns out to be a successful ad campaign, then they'll make more spots like this one. :whoo:

deguerre
10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
If selling those burgers helps support these nice young ladies, then I'm in favor. :thumb: If this turns out to be a successful ad campaign, then they'll make more spots like this one. :whoo:
They don't air those in Memphis anyway...

deguerre
10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Falling Down - I want breakfast - YouTube