PDA

View Full Version : Awards question

rookiedad
11-30-2005, 09:06 AM
in the judging tent , how many places in each catagory are announced? is it just first, second, and third, or do they keep going? also, can a team win with consecutive fourth place finishes in all four catagorys if the firsts and seconds in each catagory don't score well on anything else. thanks.
phil

homebbq
11-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Nothing is announced in the judging tent. The winners are announced in the awards ceremony, some hours after judging has ended. And some contests its 1 thru 3, others 1 thru 5, and others 1 thru 10, etc..

Grand and Reserve Champion is determined (in KCBS and FBA) by total points in the 4 categories, so its not based on the placement in each category. So the answer to your question is yes.

homebbq
11-30-2005, 10:17 AM
also, you never know who will be reserve champion and grand champion until its announced. Because of the fact its an accumulation of all scores... I have placed in all 4 categories and ended up 3rd overall a couple of times now, and the reserve and grand champions place 1st or 2nd in 2 categories and score real high in both... I was scratching my head until I saw the score sheets...

BBQchef33
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Ive seen the same thing.. one event we had 2 seconds and a 7th and 9th and still placed 3rd overall and just .026 out of RGC. Ya never know till the sauce lady sings.

homebbq
11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
yep, I've had it work once the other way also... Other teams got 2 or 3 calls... I got 1 call and ended up getting Reserve.. You never know...

The_Kapn
11-30-2005, 12:47 PM
"Roger" to all the info above.

Really huge events can pay (or award) to 15th even.
Mobile had 83 teams and did that.

TIM

Moderator's note: renaming the thread for accuracy and clarity.