PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook a Creekstone brisket?

QTEX
09-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Just ordered a Creekstone for next weeks comp and was wondering if it gets cooked just like any other brisket? Have heard and read that the Wygus get pulled at lower temps and are cooked in little different technique so is the Creekstone that type of meat or is it just an Prime angus so cook like typical CAB?
thanks in advance.

Podge
09-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Cooks like a typical CAB, but still pay attention to the feel.

Fatback Joe
09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Cooks like a typical CAB, but still pay attention to the feel.

I'll second that.

JS-TX
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
I bet that thing will taste delicious.. too good for them judges! :biggrin1:

QTEX
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I can only hope its tht good JS

JS-TX
09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
These are the same briskets Franklins BBQ uses, best restuarant brisket I've ever had. It had a very rich beefy taste and super tender. I think a nice basic rub with just enough salt in it will go well with this type of brisket. I need to order one of those one of these days.

Brew-B-Q
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I tried one the other day and it cooked similar to the choice briskets from RD that I've been cooking. The end result was a bit juicier, but the process wasn't much different. I don't use temperature but the feel of tender was the same if that makes sense.

Wampus
09-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Yep, we've cooked Strube Waygu, Creekstone prime and CAB's all the same way, sometimes even cooked 2 brands/types together right next to each other on the pit. No difference in cook or recipes, just may have one get done earlier, but that may happen with 2 CAB's too.

QTEX
09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks everybody

jbrink01
09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not being flippant, so please don't take this as sarcasm. It's just BBQ, and it's done when it's done. Just cook it.

djqualls
09-28-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm no expert but I cook them like any other brisket they seem to always need at least 200 to probe like butter. They do have enough marbling that if you done let them cool before holding they will over cook in the cambro much easier than plain CAB Choice cuts.

RX2006JE
09-28-2012, 04:26 PM
do you normally wet age your creekstone prime briskets

Nordy
09-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes.... I wet age a minimum of 21 days, but usually go up to 35-40 days

JS-TX
09-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Speaking of wet aging briskets. I've done it once and got a purplish smoke ring. I read somewhere on here it was normal with wet aging. Anybody else get this?

Pitmaster T
09-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Speaking of wet aging briskets. I've done it once and got a purplish smoke ring. I read somewhere on here it was normal with wet aging. Anybody else get this?

Dats funky right there, yo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLobYDesoJk

surprisingly funky hornz

The Line is... "if it break when it bend, u betta not put it in" and

ain't nuthin but a muffin, got a lot a buttah 2 go."

Big Mike
09-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Well, I cooked my first creekstone brisket this weekend and obviously I don't know how to cook one. My brisket score dropped 15 points. It was overcooked and dry.

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
09-30-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm not being flippant, so please don't take this as sarcasm. It's just BBQ, and it's done when it's done. Just cook it.

B and B I hope you don't have a patent on that quote. Even though we are competitive and want to give the judges the best bite we can give em, you quote holds true. "It's just BBQ, and it's done when it's done. Just cook it." I'll send ya the royalties off this. :grin:

Pitmaster T
09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Party Man - Sixth Fleet Band, c. 1991 - YouTube

Sorry... I meant to post this band instead of Prince.... Horz r so funky.

jbrink01
09-30-2012, 05:42 PM
B and B I hope you don't have a patent on that quote. Even though we are competitive and want to give the judges the best bite we can give em, you quote holds true. "It's just BBQ, and it's done when it's done. Just cook it." I'll send ya the royalties off this. :grin:

Nope, no copyrights here! I've been guilty of overthinking this BBQ thing, and my scores IMPROVED greatly, when I took this bit of wisdom to heart. You start with good meat, you cook it until it's done and you turn it in. Of course we wrap, we all season differently, etc, but it don't make a farking bit of difference if you can't tell when it's done. Temp all you want, but every piece is done at a different temp. You've gotta have the touch, and the only way to get it is to cook thousands of pounds of meat, after reliable instruction.

jmoney7269
09-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I have Cooked plenty of strubes and never did better than 4th out of 30-40 team fields. I just recently did one that had 42 and got 2nd! Why? Because I went back to what I know,10-12lb CAB choice nationals, Sam Kane or angus pride. BAM my scores went back up. I for one have always had my suspicions about the American "style" wagyu which btw is not even a breed, just marketing technique. Through my activism, research and especially after reading the Forbes article, I will never buy another one. Stick with what you know! Mine is 300* foil @180 with my beef enhancer liquid pull @209, rest countertop 1 hr, FTC till turn in. Good luck

JS-TX
10-01-2012, 08:38 AM
What's FTC?

The_Kapn
10-01-2012, 08:42 AM
What's FTC?

Foil, towel, cooler.

TIM