PDA

View Full Version : BBQRace.com

Heath Hall
09-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Huge announcement last night on the BBQ Central Radio Show - we formally announced BBQ's best and most comprehensive rankings site - www.bbqrace.com (http://www.bbqrace.com)!

Want to see where you stack up in the Overall, Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket KCBS Team of the Year standings? BBQ Race is your place to find out. You no longer have to be in the Top 25 to know where you stand.

Want to see how you stacked up against everyone cooking on a weekend? Check out the weekly rankings.

Check out your Team Dashboard which provides fast access to your TOY standings, your historic contest log, a graph that tracks your performance and much much more including badges that hightlight your accomplishments!

Still to come are some exciting new races! Stay tuned for more announcments.

Please take a look at your team and make sure all your comps for 2012 are present. If not check and see if there are additional spellings of your team name on the site. If so let us know so we can merge them together.

Any questions just let us know! Any suggestions let us know those too!

Best,

Heath
Pork Barrel BBQ & BBQ Race

AZScott
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
A huge thanks to you for putting that together. I've been paying attention to it for the last two months and it's absolutely great.

Smoke Ring
09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
How soon are the weekend results posted? I notice the results from Sunday's Telluride BBQ Festival aren't there yet.

big matt
09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Fantastic job Heath this site is great it looks and works great too.

Wampus
09-26-2012, 01:09 PM
DIG the site. Great stuff.

TheJackal
09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
How soon are the weekend results posted? I notice the results from Sunday's Telluride BBQ Festival aren't there yet.

Que by the Sea is no up either. Sunday turn-in events in the past took a while to show up as well. Looks like Saturday events are usually available same day.

Scottie
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Good job Heath. My girls also want to know when you will be on Shark Tank again. They want to see you up against Mark Cuban....:-P

MarleyMan
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks! Excellent site for keeping tabs on your or your favorite teams!:thumb:

Heath Hall
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Guys, sorry about the Sunday contests. Our computer guy had to attend a funeral which is causing the delays for Sunday. We plan to have these updated early evening on Saturday and early evening on Sunday.

Scottie - I'll be with Barbara next week in New York and will tell her that direct orders from your daughters are to get us back on the show ASAP!!

82's BBQ
09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Are you guys going to come up with a widget for websites?

TheJackal
09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Thoughts go out to Brian and his family. Sorry for his loss.

Heath Hall
09-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Are you guys going to come up with a widget for websites?

We are working on it. Probably won't be until next season that we roll them out.

stan
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Heath how do you get contests not yours out of the database? Combine where a team is spelled 3 to 4 different ways?

KC_Bobby
09-26-2012, 11:04 PM
To add to Stan's question, what is the process to combine multiple listings that are the same team?

Example:
Boondoggle
Boondoggle BBQ

New Pal Frank
09-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Hi Heath. What a great reference to see how the teams are doing. I tried to merge two teams and got an integrety error. Just FYI

Keep up the hard work.

esselle
09-27-2012, 05:21 AM
:clap2:Fantastic site Heath. I know you have the weekly results and you can see how you did that week against everyone else, but can you go back to a set date and see how you did against everyone then or does it only apply to the past week. The reason I ask is that we are included on the rankings because we have competed in 3 U.S. comps this year, even though we are U.K. based but it would be nice to see how we compared with the rest of the U.S. in the particular weeks that we competed. Thanks again for a great site.

CivilWarBBQ
09-27-2012, 05:31 AM
I told them about the exception their merge request form was throwing weeks ago. Also requested a merge via email at the same time and was told it would be done right away, but we're still listed under four different spellings. Confirmed with KCBS they have our scores tracked correctly under the same team number so it has to do with how this site is collecting their data.

Nice concept, but I think this resorce is more accurately described as being a beta release. Could be useful when the bugs are worked out.

4 smokin butts
09-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi Heath. What a great reference to see how the teams are doing. I tried to merge two teams and got an integrety error. Just FYI

Keep up the hard work.
tried to merge our team also,got error,,windsor mo ,end of aug missing from ours nice site,great job:thumb:

82's BBQ
09-27-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm a statistics nerd. In case you guys ever get bored and want something to do/work on, add an option to see averages. Such as avg score (overall, individual categories) and avg place.

TheJackal
09-27-2012, 07:21 AM
82's, I already requested that. I had a merge problem with the form originally like many others here. I sent an email to admin@bbqrace.com. Brian responded and processed my request the same day. I think he needs to rerun the rankings everytime there is a merge so he may be queueing up a bunch since it seems more requests are coming in.

Here were my suggestions. He responded and said many of them including the registration feature were in the works for a future release but right now he is just working on data quality.

1) average score for each cetegory on the breakdown page.
2) year over year comparison (I can see my TOY points for this year but I can't see it for prior years). Looks like the data is already there for 2011 since I can see the comps under event history. This would just be another 'view' on that data.
3) a comparison feature (caompare your scores to 1,2,3, teams, etc)? This is just fluff but trying to think of ways to make the site even more interesting. I know there are a few teams that we regularly compete against and you always want to see how you stack up against them.
4) It would be great if you could 'register' on the site much like you do for a message board. Then you can be automatically logged in and see your team's page immediately upon entering the site

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Heath how do you get contests not yours out of the database? Combine where a team is spelled 3 to 4 different ways?

Go to this page http://bbqrace.com/contact/ and let us know what contests aren't yours in your database.

Go to the same page and let us know the different spellings of your team name that are in the database that need to be merged and let us know what the master name should be that we merge the other spellings under.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:24 AM
To add to Stan's question, what is the process to combine multiple listings that are the same team?

Example:
Boondoggle
Boondoggle BBQ

Let us know at this link http://bbqrace.com/contact/ what the names are that need to be merged and tell us which is the master name the others should be merged under.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Keep up the hard work.

What are the names that need to be merged? Let me know the master name you want the other name(s) merged under and I'll get it in the system.

Thanks for the heads up. Still working out some bugs.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:27 AM
:clap2:Fantastic site Heath. I know you have the weekly results and you can see how you did that week against everyone else, but can you go back to a set date and see how you did against everyone then or does it only apply to the past week. The reason I ask is that we are included on the rankings because we have competed in 3 U.S. comps this year, even though we are U.K. based but it would be nice to see how we compared with the rest of the U.S. in the particular weeks that we competed. Thanks again for a great site.

Hi - right now we only have the current week up. I'll add archiving past weeks to the list of things we are considering as we expand the offerings of the site! Thanks for the idea.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:31 AM
I told them about the exception their merge request form was throwing weeks ago. Also requested a merge via email at the same time and was told it would be done right away, but we're still listed under four different spellings. Confirmed with KCBS they have our scores tracked correctly under the same team number so it has to do with how this site is collecting their data.

Nice concept, but I think this resorce is more accurately described as being a beta release. Could be useful when the bugs are worked out.

What are the team names that need to be merged? We are doing the best we can to get everything merged this year to have everything in place for next season. As I've already mentioned we know there are still bugs to fix and that is what we are working on clearing up over the next 3 months so we have a clean start when 2013 arrives.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:37 AM
tried to merge our team also,got error,,windsor mo ,end of aug missing from ours nice site,great job:thumb:

Your two names 4 Smokin Butts and Four Smokin Butts are in the merge file now. Once we do a merge update they should be merged. Let me know in a couple days if it looks like you are still missing comps.

Heath Hall
09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm a statistics nerd. In case you guys ever get bored and want something to do/work on, add an option to see averages. Such as avg score (overall, individual categories) and avg place.

Working on that.

Rich Parker
09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Idea:

Something I was planning to do but since your site is live, I have no need for it anymore.

Automate a process to scrap the data from their events section than when members find invalid team names they can contact KCBS to have it corrected and then initiate a refresh on the bbqrace.com side which would eliminate all of the merging issues you are having.

TheJackal
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Idea:

Something I was planning to do but since your site is live, I have no need for it anymore.

Automate a process to scrap the data from their events section than when members find invalid team names they can contact KCBS to have it corrected and then initiate a refresh on the bbqrace.com side which would eliminate all of the merging issues you are having.

I was thinking the same thing. A few days ago, I actually pulled the data from a comp off of the kcbs site into Excel using the Get Data From Web import functionality just to see what it would look like. Not sure where they get their data from or what database platform they are using. If it is SQL Server then I'm sure they could source the KCBS URLs with SSIS to Extract Transform and Load the data into their database in an automated fashion and on a regular schedule.

dhuffjr
09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
3) a comparison feature (caompare your scores to 1,2,3, teams, etc)? This is just fluff but trying to think of ways to make the site even more interesting. I know there are a few teams that we regularly compete against and you always want to see how you stack up against them.

That would be interesting. I requested the ability to sort so those of use that don't do 10+ contests a year can see how we stack up against our peers. I'd love to see how we rate against teams that compete the same number of contests.

An additional thought is make it easy to see the total number of teams. Say 782 out of 6387 or whatever the case may be.

DawgPhan
09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
if you have any questions I know a guy with about 5 years worth of experience doing this.

Just Pulin' Pork
09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Very cool website and thanks for designing this! Very informative.

davidtxs
09-27-2012, 04:27 PM
great idea for a site nice work too

CivilWarBBQ
09-27-2012, 10:40 PM
What are the team names that need to be merged? We are doing the best we can to get everything merged this year to have everything in place for next season. As I've already mentioned we know there are still bugs to fix and that is what we are working on clearing up over the next 3 months so we have a clean start when 2013 arrives.

JOHNNY MITCHELL SMOKEHOU
JOHNNY MITCHELL'S SMOKEH
JOHNNYMITCHELLSSMOKEHOUS
JOHNNYMITCHEL'SSMOKEHOUS

The correct team name is "Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse" but it is too long for the old KCBS scoring program.

-GF

New Pal Frank
09-28-2012, 05:21 AM
Master nteam name is Hug Hogs

Merge Hug Hogs BBQ Team with master.

Thank you:clap2:

What are the names that need to be merged? Let me know the master name you want the other name(s) merged under and I'll get it in the system.

HarleyEarl
09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Sent a message in a while back about the Polar Bear Challenge and you guys said you would get it fixed. Any chance of you guys getting on this problem? It shows that I have three overall scores from the contest, no chicken score, and no rib score. The pork and brisket score are okay. Looking at the results, this happen to all the teams - there are no chicken or rib results.

TheJackal
09-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm a little disappointed that not all the contests were updated this past week. It really skewed the results. (Weekly results, TOY, etc.) After all, current #1 3 Eyz is listed as hanging on to the top spot by a minimal margin of 30 pts. However, they took GC this past weekend for one of the two contests that never got updated.

Poor showing in the week that you "went into production" and rolled this out. It's only as good as the data it reports. If the data is missing or inaccurate, then the users will discount the content and move on.

I really like the website and hope it succeeds but now is not the time to let issues linger for a day or two or 6.

Diva Q
09-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Good website and I am glad to see all your success

rolfejr
09-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks so much for the effort in compiling the numbers.

I have always wondered why KCBS does not use team numbers instead of names for compilation of scores etc...

That would eliminate the spelling and grammar errors that seem to comprise most of the redundancy with team names.
Apostrophes, commas, hyphens, and periods seem to be the bane of the system.

Just a thought.

DawgPhan
09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm a little disappointed that not all the contests were updated this past week. It really skewed the results. (Weekly results, TOY, etc.) After all, current #1 3 Eyz is listed as hanging on to the top spot by a minimal margin of 30 pts. However, they took GC this past weekend for one of the two contests that never got updated.

Poor showing in the week that you "went into production" and rolled this out. It's only as good as the data it reports. If the data is missing or inaccurate, then the users will discount the content and move on.

I really like the website and hope it succeeds but now is not the time to let issues linger for a day or two or 6.

lol.

CivilWarBBQ
09-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Let's cut the poor devs some slack here. After all, this is a free service that isn't charging us anything for their efforts. Sure it's not perfect, but as someone who's worked in IT for over 25 years I can assure you Version 1.0 of anything never is.

New Pal Frank
10-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Let's see here. Average weekend in BBQ season. Maybe 20 - 25 contests per weekend.( often time a lot more ) CHECK Each contest average 30 - 50 teams. CHECK each team 4 catagory scores plus over all scores to enter CHECK Plus debugging program for badges and all the behind the scenes techi stuff. GREAT JOB A lot of effort so everyone can see where the stand. Thanks again:clap: :clap::clap::clap:

4 smokin butts
10-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Your two names 4 Smokin Butts and Four Smokin Butts are in the merge file now. Once we do a merge update they should be merged. Let me know in a couple days if it looks like you are still missing comps.
the one that was misspelled,actual team name 4 smokin'butts,windsor mo ,labor day wknd,has us listed as 4 smoke butt

gettinbasted
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Getting basted
Getting' basted
Gettin basted
all need to be merged with Gettin' basted

I love the Site and sent an email a couple of weeks ago but got no response.

JerryA
10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
The "West Coast BBQ Classic" contest out here in Long Beach, CA (5/12/12) is a bit skewed.
All the Pork and Brisket scores are bunched up with Ribs.
Any chance of getting it fixed?

Thanks for the site by the way, it's awesome!

Funtimebbq
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
The "West Coast BBQ Classic" contest out here in Long Beach, CA (5/12/12) is a bit skewed.
All the Pork and Brisket scores are bunched up with Ribs.
Any chance of getting it fixed?

Thanks for the site by the way, it's awesome!

I asked about that a couple of time via email and PM. In addition, the two contests held over the New Year's weekend do not show up as 2012 TOY events. Teams such as Slap Yo Daddy and Tippy Canoe have different point totals if the top 10 contests are used on this site (added up) vs. copying the point total from the KCBS site. I'm sure they will get it corrected, even it means just changing the contest dates to reflect 2012 dates.

New Pal Frank
10-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks. I got the email and all is good. Thanks for all the hard work and effort you put into this. I know it's a monumental task. Keep up the good work.

HarleyEarl
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I think the premise of this site is great, but if they can't correct glaring errors such as having the chicken and rib score doubled up under the overall results (I have 3 overall results for the Polar Bear challenge) thus no results for these categories - especially after e-mail notification and posting on this forum. It isn't worth a hoot. Hopefully they can take it serious next year or just shut it down. The legitimacy and accuracy are really questionable. Longing for the good old days when Paul with the Pickled Pig kept track of the results.

fnbish
10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
It isn't worth a hoot. Hopefully they can take it serious next year or just shut it down.

So you are saying you don't think they are taking their new web site seriously at all?

HarleyEarl
10-16-2012, 09:43 PM
So you are saying you don't think they are taking their new web site seriously at all?

When they ask for feedback on issues with the site and receive comments about errors then tell people you'll fix the problems and months pass without making the fixes, sure seems like they aren't too interested in taking feedback seriously.

When the Pickled Pig ran a similar ranking system, Paul responded to issues damn near immediately. As we all know maintaining these rankings is very time consuming, especially during the middle of the season, but they need to make the fixes when pointed out to them.

Love the concept, but right now the rankings are unreliable due to unresolved issues starting with a contest last February. There were quite a few top 25 teams there and the rankings don't accurately reflect their scores.

fnbish
10-17-2012, 06:08 AM
When they ask for feedback on issues with the site and receive comments about errors then tell people you'll fix the problems and months pass without making the fixes, sure seems like they aren't too interested in taking feedback seriously.

When the Pickled Pig ran a similar ranking system, Paul responded to issues damn near immediately. As we all know maintaining these rankings is very time consuming, especially during the middle of the season, but they need to make the fixes when pointed out to them.

Love the concept, but right now the rankings are unreliable due to unresolved issues starting with a contest last February. There were quite a few top 25 teams there and the rankings don't accurately reflect their scores.

Thanks for the clarification

DawgPhan
10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
just to remind everyone I am sure that bbqrace.com is run as a hobby. It seems kinda rude to tell someone that they are not doing a good job at their hobby and they should get better or quit.

Without it I wouldn't have any idea where my team is in the KCBS TOY until next year. Its a neat tool and provides a lot of great information.

musicmanryann
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Well said Dawg. Additionally you can see Heath's quote below that their intention is to get everything fixed up by next year. Heath is probably the most busy guy in barbecue and one of the best. He'll get it done, but it will take some time. My understanding specifically with the Polar Bear challenge is that it is a bug that is in the programming language, so it is not a simple fix.

As I've already mentioned we know there are still bugs to fix and that is what we are working on clearing up over the next 3 months so we have a clean start when 2013 arrives.

fnbish
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
just to remind everyone I am sure that bbqrace.com is run as a hobby. It seems kinda rude to tell someone that they are not doing a good job at their hobby and they should get better or quit.

Without it I wouldn't have any idea where my team is in the KCBS TOY until next year. Its a neat tool and provides a lot of great information.

Great point . Seems a pretty big swing at someone to publicly call them out on the forum for not taking it seriously. Especially when they have said a fix is coming in a few months. Not easy what they are doing.

Pig Pimp 21
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
This site is great. As was mentioned above, for those of us who don't compete in many events each year (3 to 5) it would be fun to see a per event average ranking to get a feeling of where we stack up against the teams competing more than 20 times per year. But then, maybe that isn't the point of the site.

Big Poppa
10-18-2012, 03:52 PM
I just wish he would respond to my emails! I love it and want to sponsor it.

Ryan he may be the second busiest man in BBQ hahahah

Jorge
10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I just wish he would respond to my emails! I love it and want to sponsor it.

Ryan he may be the second busiest man in BBQ hahahah

How about the busiest one that might sleep?:razz:

Big Poppa
10-18-2012, 10:46 PM
good one George!