PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst of competition goodie bag?

sincitydisciple01
09-16-2012, 03:31 PM
What's the best and worst item you ever received in a swag bag @ a competition? While not the best, the hands down winner for irony is a pen we got over the weekend from a KC company the performs cremations. Worst was a mini-bottle of some sort of cinnamon hooch that tasted like a handful of red hots candy mixed with kerosene.

Podge
09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
When Bardwell, Ky. had a contest, J-mack Cookers were the organizers.. They had stuff we could use!.. paper towels, foil and a half cookie sheet.. Great contest.. I miss not seeing them! Madison, In. always gives us one thing in the goodie bag that I end up using year after year.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-16-2012, 05:51 PM
cool topic...watch for pics from Harrisburg PA....I hope to make them hard to beat!...for example...Stubbs rubs!!Pork Barrell BBQ , FAB!!!! Tasty Licks!!! and more...heck, 1/2 the entry is gonna be in the bag....rumor has it we have some comming in from Pork Pullin rub.....maybe more!! still trying!I still am holding out for so help from a butcher...

Rich Parker
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Best ones I have ever got were from Sam's with paper towels, rubber gloves, half pan, aluminum foil, and snacks.

Coz
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Best ones I have ever got were from Sam's with paper towels, rubber gloves, half pan, aluminum foil, and snacks.

Dont forget the red :grin: cup

Rich Parker
09-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Dont forget the red :grin: cup

I got pink ones the last time. :thumb:

K-Train
09-17-2012, 07:16 AM
I always like a cool t-shirt.

bover
09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
The best thing in the bag from the contest this weekend was that little blue bracelet that gave access to the facility with showers and a proper toilet.

HarleyGirl14226
09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Most funny - Fly swatters at the Hudson Valley Rib Fest last year...

JimmyDAL
09-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Was that from the Health department?

fweck
09-17-2012, 08:20 AM
A bottle of radiator stop leak. I guess one of the local auto parts stores was a sponsor.

Jaskew82
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
The Sam's club regional contest bag was an insulated grocery bag, 4 NY Strip steaks and a bottle of McCormack steak seasoning. That was pretty good!

CBQ
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Most funny - Fly swatters at the Hudson Valley Rib Fest last year...

I was going to put this one in but you beat me too it.

2010 New Paltz had a livestock show the week before the contest. The place was covered with flies. I left my RV locked in the hot sun to kill all the flies...counted 30 of em. I went out and bought EZ UP screens after that.

I thought the organizers showed a great sense of humor about it by including fly swatters in 2011 with the contest logo on it. They also did a much better of controlling the flies.

K-Train
09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
If I remember correctly a little way back someone mentioned little Thermapen key chains were given out at a contest. That would be awesome.

sincitydisciple01
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Good call on the Sam's events. Forgot about the cutting boards and foil. Probably the result of the red cup... :loco:

MoKanMeathead
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Here is a pic of the best goody bag I have seen. This was from the first SAM's club contest several years ago at MidWest City OK.

Lake Dogs
09-17-2012, 12:33 PM
^^^ all that, for every team? WOW!!!

HarleyGirl14226
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
2010 New Paltz had a livestock show the week before the contest. The place was covered with flies. I left my RV locked in the hot sun to kill all the flies...counted 30 of em. I went out and bought EZ UP screens after that.

I thought the organizers showed a great sense of humor about it by including fly swatters in 2011 with the contest logo on it. They also did a much better of controlling the flies.

We put our fly swatter to good use last year, and decided to leave a few of the squashed carcasses on the walls on our utility trailer as a message to the other flies... :evil:

DawgPhan
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
no bad goodie bags. any contest organizer that goes through the trouble and expense of putting something together for the teams is alright in my book.

never look a gift horse in the mouth.

ique
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Harpoon... tough to beat free beer,

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/beer-1.jpg

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/beer1.jpg

TheJackal
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
I always like a cool t-shirt.

You mean the Large T-Shirt that doesn't fit the majority of the competitors there (including myself)? Or the XL T-Shirt that fits me once until my wife shrinks it after the first wash? :twitch:

All in jest of course. Any goodie bag item is appreciated even if my teammate gets all the T-shirts. However, I would appreciate a choice in size or even the occassional organizer that thinks about his target audience and orders a few XXL's.

K-Train
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
You mean the Large T-Shirt that doesn't fit the majority of the competitors there (including myself)? Or the XL T-Shirt that fits me once until my wife shrinks it after the first wash? :twitch:

All in jest of course. Any goodie bag item is appreciated even if my teammate gets all the T-shirts. However, I would appreciate a choice in size or even the occassional organizer that thinks about his target audience and orders a few XXL's.

I'm on the slim side. Last shirt I got was Large. Washed it, it shrunk and now it's a belly shirt, not a good look.

TheJackal
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm on the slim side. Last shirt I got was Large. Washed it, it shrunk and now it's a belly shirt, not a good look.

Haha. Now think how that might look on the rest of us. :) Not a pretty picture.

Pack-A-Smokes
09-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Cumming, GA gave out igloo coolers last year.

BasicPatrick
09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll vote for Harpoon BBQ Championship of New England. I haven't had drink in over 18 years BUT the combination of Free Harpoon Beer Tickets for every team member for every day and this year's THREE cases for after the draft bar was closed has to be waaayyyyyyy up on any list.

swamprb
09-17-2012, 09:51 PM
What are these "goodie bags" you speak of?

ParkAvenue_2
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Some years back, we received a business card for a Bail Bondsman in a goody bag at a contest.

Luckily, we had no use for it. :grin:

Pickin' Porkers
09-18-2012, 08:23 PM
To keep in the spirit of the post....NO goody bag like Myrtle Beach offers....and unfortunately Tryon, NC...they used to have primo stuff but the cash flow killed them..... Next are those that give calendars and post-it-notes from local banks...throw a few ink pens in there....let's not forget local maps or ads from local realtors.

sincitydisciple01
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
no bad goodie bags. any contest organizer that goes through the trouble and expense of putting something together for the teams is alright in my book.

never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Dawg - don't get me wrong. It takes a tremendous amount of work to put on an event. Not questioning the effort, cost or intent! But I think it's safe to say that 2 cases of beer may qualify as better swag, than an apron from the previous year and 2 ball point pens! :biggrin1:

Dr_KY
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Grillstock- Use of WSM and /or Weber kettle, mountains of ribs and steak and chicken to cook for the crowds, free charcoal, sauces from Frenches, Rubs from California Rancher, drinking water, chimney starter, free electricity, washing facility, discounts on hotel rooms, free refrigeration,

CivilWarBBQ
09-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Best I ever saw was the now-defunct Springville, Alabama show where every team got a full-sized fire extiguisher courtesy of the manufacturer there.

Worst was full of cheap ad specialty junk, the highlight of which was business cards from three personal injury lawers.

Captain P.J.
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Whitewater, WI... We got a pint size mason jar of ranch flavored pretzels... one per team. The wife and I let loose and ate 4 pretzels.

Jeff Hughes
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
^^^ all that, for every team? WOW!!!

Yes, all thirty teams. Bunch of my buddies cooked that one...

Mexi "Q" Tioner
09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Heres what we got from our 1st comp this past weekend called the Blazin Hog

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p516/Los_MexiQtioners/589_zpsde673fbd.jpg

smokincracker
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
The Sam's club regional contest bag was an insulated grocery bag, 4 NY Strip steaks and a bottle of McCormack steak seasoning. That was pretty good!

I agree I loved it...

MattCom
09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
There are no bad gift bags. The best: A Fifth of JD, the worst: a medium tee shirt.:crazy: