PDA

View Full Version : BOD meeting

Pappy Q
09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Any word from last night's meeting regarding Myrtle Beach?

Pappy Q
09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I see the quick notes posted today but oddly enough there's not a single mention of executive session or discussion of the topic......

Ford
09-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Looks like the quick notes were truncated during posting. Lots of topics missing.

Sauced!
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Was Myrtle Beach supposed to be on the agenda?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

drbbq
09-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Looks like the quick notes were truncated during posting. Lots of topics missing.

That happens pretty often. Then when they figure it out they usually put up a second page.

drbbq
09-17-2012, 09:42 AM
The Quick Notes have been updated.

"When returning to Open Session, the following decisions were announced.
Carolyn Wells will write a letter to the organizer of the contest in Myrtle Beach citing concerns by the cooks and directing the organizer to attend other contests before their 2013 event.
Regarding Candy Weaver's presentation regarding a potential website helpful to KCBS, she and Carolyn Wells will gather additional information and report back to the board.
Candy Weaver made a motion to accept Carolyn Wells' Employment Agreement. Seconded by Mike Budai, the motion passed.
At 9:00 p.m. Randy Bigler made a motion to adjourn; seconded by Steve Farrin, the motion passed."

I'm sure that letter will fix everything. And congrats to Carolyn on a new agreement. Didn't she just get a new deal last year?

Smoke'n Ice
09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
There are several taka-a-ways from these notes:
1.George Mullins resignation, which was on the new business agenda, was not discussed or accepted. Does this mean he is still on the BOD?
2. There is a double standard for conduct of reps if they are members of the BOD. The integrity of the BOD now comes into question.

Scottie
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM
:shock:

crd26a
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Having not listened to meeting, I was sad to see no mention of Rep conduct for MB included in quick notes and a removal of the petition regarding the apron. Was hoping both would come out.

Gadragonfly
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
2. There is a double standard for conduct of reps if they are members of the BOD. The integrity of the BOD now comes into question.

I don't agree. There weren't any rep problems at this contest that don't happen at other contests occasionally (and I was at this contest so I can have an opinion). Boxes get misnumbered, labels stick to the bottom of other boxes or shirts and for a minute it appears a box is lost, I was even at a contest this year where an entire tray was dropped by a Table Captain. That incident didn't even make a splash on this forum. The reps at this contest made a mistake but they admitted that they made a mistake and worked with the teams involved to correct it. Earlier in the year the reps made a mistake and didn't admit it and everyone screamed cover-up. You can't have it both ways - decide which way you want it and let the reps know. I'm sure they'll either tell you about mistakes or keep them a secret, whichever the majority wants. But Tana being on the Board was coincidental to the way this incident was handled by the Board.

Julie

DawgPhan
09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
of course we all knew that Tana was above reproach. They were NEVER going to say anything to her about it. Is it any surprise that people worry about conflict of interest when reps are also board members.

She screwed up, she shouldnt be allowed to rep any contest for the rest of the year....yes even that one.

Smoke'n Ice
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't agree. There weren't any rep problems at this contest that don't happen at other contests occasionally (and I was at this contest so I can have an opinion). Boxes get misnumbered, labels stick to the bottom of other boxes or shirts and for a minute it appears a box is lost, I was even at a contest this year where an entire tray was dropped by a Table Captain. That incident didn't even make a splash on this forum. The reps at this contest made a mistake but they admitted that they made a mistake and worked with the teams involved to correct it. Earlier in the year the reps made a mistake and didn't admit it and everyone screamed cover-up. You can't have it both ways - decide which way you want it and let the reps know. I'm sure they'll either tell you about mistakes or keep them a secret, whichever the majority wants. But Tana being on the Board was coincidental to the way this incident was handled by the Board.

Julie
In the more than 150 contests that I have participated in over the last 10 years, I have never seen any issues with box numbering, lost boxes or reps being abscent at the start of a turn-in time. Either I have been very lucky or the reps at the contests that I attended were properly trained and did their job properly. These types of problems should be an exception and never tolerated by the cooks or the reps.

Pickin' Porkers
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Myrtle Beach should NEVER..EVER be sanctioned again as long as the Omar Shriners are involved.....Period.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2012, 02:33 PM
The Quick Notes have been updated.

And congrats to Carolyn on a new agreement. Didn't she just get a new deal last year?

This is the deal from last year it was just finalized. I's dotted t's crossed if you will.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
1.George Mullins resignation, which was on the new business agenda, was not discussed or accepted. Does this mean he is still on the BOD?

Good point on number 1 I think it got overlooked.
I don't agree with number 2. I spoke to all the teams that were directly effected by the reps mistakes (and yes there were mistakes) in Myrtle beach and not one of them suggested the reps should be fired/suspended/retrained. They seemed to understand that reps are people and people sometimes make mistakes. If the board fires a rep every time a mistake is made then we won't have any reps. Tana was questioned extensively and admitted that mistakes were made. I'm satisfied that they were corrected in an appropriate manner and within the spirit of the rules. No numbers were made up or concocted and every entry was appropriately judged.

timzcardz
09-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Clarification please.

Are you saying that it got overlooked in the meeting, overlooked in the notes, or both?

Thanks.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Clarification please.

Are you saying that it got overlooked in the meeting, overlooked in the notes, or both?

Thanks.
I don't recall voting on Georges resignation in the meeting. It's basically a technicality, I don't believe anyone has a problem with George resigning and taking care of what's important in his life. Every member on the board respects his decision to my knowledge.

DawgPhan
09-17-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't agree with number 2. I spoke to all the teams that were directly effected by the reps mistakes (and yes there were mistakes) in Myrtle beach and not one of them suggested the reps should be fired/suspended/retrained. They seemed to understand that reps are people and people sometimes make mistakes. If the board fires a rep every time a mistake is made then we won't have any reps. Tana was questioned extensively and admitted that mistakes were made. I'm satisfied that they were corrected in an appropriate manner and within the spirit of the rules. No numbers were made up or concocted and every entry was appropriately judged.

of course...hands tied..what can you do....eye roll.....everyone makes mistakes...like someone makes a bad choice at the awards...

basically KCBS BOD stance is if you are a cook, the hammer is waiting for you...as a rep or judge, lets not get carried away with any sort of punishment.

got it. crystal clear.

sometimes when you are always in the wrong place at the wrong time...it became the wrong place when you showed up.

DawgPhan
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't recall voting on Georges resignation in the meeting. It's basically a technicality, I don't believe anyone has a problem with George resigning and taking care of what's important in his life. Every member on the board respects his decision to my knowledge.

lulz...you dont recall voting...you should run for public office.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
of course...hands tied..what can you do....eye roll.....everyone makes mistakes...like someone makes a bad choice at the awards...

basically KCBS BOD stance is if you are a cook, the hammer is waiting for you...as a rep or judge, lets not get carried away with any sort of punishment.

got it. crystal clear.

sometimes when you are always in the wrong place at the wrong time...it became the wrong place when you showed up.

That's not my stance. Two different things. What do you do for work ? Let's say you work in a mail room just as an example. You deliver some mail to the wrong desk one day. Odds are you won't get fired or retrained. Your boss will probably realize you just made a mistake that day. Of course if you keep doing it repeatedly that's another story.

Now let's say you go into work one day and decide to deliver mail with a big fake penis strapped on. Odds are you'll be fired on the spot.

Maybe you see no difference in the two situations. I do.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
lulz...you dont recall voting...you should run for public office.

Well I did leave the meeting for a few minutes to take care of a personal issue. It's possible the vote was taken then.

DawgPhan
09-17-2012, 03:53 PM
That's not my stance. Two different things. What do you do for work ? Let's say you work in a mail room just as an example. You deliver some mail to the wrong desk one day. Odds are you won't get fired or retrained. Your boss will probably realize you just made a mistake that day. Of course if you keep doing it repeatedly that's another story.

Now let's say you go into work one day and decide to deliver mail with a big fake penis strapped on. Odds are you'll be fired on the spot.

First I find this insulting. I don't work in the mail room. Also it wouldn't matter if I did or didn't.

In this situation, the board of the company has hired a member of the board to handle the mail delivery even though there are tons of other qualified mail delivery companies out there. Several who seem more qualified. Forget about the obvious conflicts that most high functioning boards would never engage in and most high functioning board members, would never ask their board to engage in. Someone was hired to do a job. They did the job poorly.

Also the mail that was mishandled was very time sensitive and the resulting error possibly cost someone thousands of dollars. The sensitive nature of the mail also allowed for the improper transmission of member trade secrets, which again could result in loss of revenue for the member. This wasnt a copy the sears catalog that got delivered late.

As for the apron situation, the person wearing it wasn't at work. They were at a retreat with a ton of their buddies. Many of the people in attendance had been drinking for much of the weekend. Drinking and lewd behavior was perfectly acceptable and most often sanctioned by the bosses (reps reminding about red cups wink wink). The person had attended dozens of these retreats and always seen people enjoying themselves and plenty of "adult" humor.

Of course the boss that made a stink about the apron, one step over the line, professionalism, and whatnot is the very same boss who cant deliver mail without screwing it up.

This is about perception and fairness. 3 year ban for an entire cook team, not even a slap on the wrist for a board member who being paid to perform a service.

dmprantz
09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Let's say you work in a mail room just as an example. You deliver some mail to the wrong desk one day. Odds are you won't get fired or retrained. Your boss will probably realize you just made a mistake that day. Of course if you keep doing it repeatedly that's another story.

Unfortunately, this isn't really a fare or complete analogy. What if the company didn't mind that he wore the fake penis as long as he was in the mailroom or delivering the mail? What if they only fired him when he wore it to the company Christmas party? You think an employment lawyer might have fun with that case? Or what if he got the job because the supervisor was his friend and hired him? They were friends, and he got him the job, and he wore the penis to the aforementioned Christmas party without the supervisor's knowledge, consent, nor participation...Do you think the company would turn around and fire the supervisor too just through association? What do you think the lawyers would say then?

What if it wasn't just delivering the mail incorrectly? What if she lost the mail and had to embarrass the company by going to the company's clients to ask who sent what, and she was on that company's board of directors? You don't think it might look differently in that light? For the record, I have nothing against Tana, consider her a friend, and am glad that she has not been punished harshly by her colleagues due to a knee jerk reaction to a mistake. I just think that if you're going to draw comparisons and differences between situations, you should try to avoid painting a picture that makes things look better than they are in reality. Unfortunately, having just recently been alerted to some of these details, I now think there's more to this story :(

dmp

bigdogphin
09-18-2012, 12:21 AM
I had one of my turn in boxes miss numbered and it disappeared in a contest earlier this year.... No one seemed to care I got a score of zero until I called several days later.... Stuff happens... You just won't see me back...

ssbbqguy
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Well said Scottie. Steve , I voted for you for the same reason, your opinion. As said be yourself and to these with their own trouble stirring agendas, keep them to yourselves. It gets real old trying to understand any facts when personal problems enter into things. Steve.

CarolinaQue
09-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm just curious if those that are beating KCBS over the head for being so horrible (in their opinion it seems) compete in KCBS sanctioned contests? And if so, why?

Candy Sue
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
This is a fine example of "you can't please all the people all the time, and some folks can't be pleased at all." KCBS gets what it pays for with it's Directors on the board, we get paid really big bucks, donchaknow? (i.e., $0 + $0 = $0) We (the directors) do it because we care about KCBS. There ain't no glory and often there's a whole lot of pain.

I was substitute secretary building the agenda for the last meeting. Didn't do a good job. Skipped George's resignation on one part and had it on the other. Steve told me so, but I missed it on the 2nd go round too. Serving on the board is Voluntary! Doesn't take a vote to move away.

Honestly, being on the board just means extra scrutiny if you're an official. No added perks that I can see.

-----------

This is my opinion and my opinion only. I welcome all responses at all times!

DawgPhan
09-18-2012, 10:44 AM
This is a fine example of "you can't please all the people all the time, and some folks can't be pleased at all." KCBS gets what it pays for with it's Directors on the board, we get paid really big bucks, donchaknow? (i.e., $0 + $0 = $0) We (the directors) do it because we care about KCBS. There ain't no glory and often there's a whole lot of pain.

I was substitute secretary building the agenda for the last meeting. Didn't do a good job. Skipped George's resignation on one part and had it on the other. Steve told me so, but I missed it on the 2nd go round too. Serving on the board is Voluntary! Doesn't take a vote to move away.

Honestly, being on the board just means extra scrutiny if you're an official. No added perks that I can see.

-----------

This is my opinion and my opinion only. I welcome all responses at all times!

I just want to thank you for being professional in your responses. You always have been and it doesnt go unnoticed.

KCBS is no different than every other non-profit board or community board that people serve on. Just because you aren't getting paid to do something doesnt give you the right to act like a jerk when someone disagrees with your decision.

Generation Smoke
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Myrtle Beach should NEVER..EVER be sanctioned again as long as the Omar Shriners are involved.....Period.

Totally agree; Myrtle Beach should never be sanctioned again as long as The Omar Shriners are involved. What a total mess this event was. Burnt power cords due to not having the right amps for RV's. Police demaning that we move our trucks while we where preparing for chicken turn in. Know one knowing what is going go. Shriners and KCBS Reps were not organized. Not sure Generation Smoke will ever attend Myrtle Beach again.

Rick (Generation Smoke.

Scottie
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
When people ask me why i have absolutely no desire to run for the BOD. I will point at this thread...

No thanks. The challenge would be awesome, the headaches would not.

Pickin' Porkers
09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Gosh, enough of the board bashing already.....let's get back to the original question!!!

"Any word from last night's meeting regarding Myrtle Beach?"

I haven't heard a peep.....

Ron_L
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Mod Note:

I've scrubbed a bunch of off topic stuff and unnecessary bickering from this thread. Yeah, there was some collateral damage because of quoting of posts, etc. I apologize to those who were innocent bystanders.

Keep this thread on topic and keep the personal issues out of it or it will be closed.

BTW, for those who posted in the thread that it should be closed or removed, we don't have time to read every single post on this forum, so the odds are that we won't see posts like that. There is a report post button on every post that will alert the mod team. If you see a rule being broken or something getting out of hand, use the report post button. In this case someone not even involved in the thread used it to alert us.

chrisnjenn
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Mmmm. Interesting.