PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Roll Tour

5string
09-09-2012, 02:43 PM
My wife and I are leaving next week for a cruise up the coast from NY. One of our goals is to find the best lobster roll available in the ports we visit.
My personal goal is to find some good BBQ so my palate doesn't get ruined from cruise ship food.
Looking to my New England Brethern for recomendations...
We'll be in:
Newport, RI
Boston, MA
Bar Harbor, ME
Saint John, New Brunswick
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Any help would be appreciated.

Teamfour
09-09-2012, 03:14 PM
We did that route last year. Best lobster roll was at a tiny place on the main drag in Bar Harbor. Don't remember the name. We didn't look for BBQ places.

Tim Campbell
09-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Camden, Me Reds Eats. Rent a car if you have to

lemur
09-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Lord's Lobster in the City Market****city market MUST SEE****interested to hear how they stack up...Grab a bag of dulse from slocums...even if you dont like it "straight" it make for an interesting ingredient in cooking

Urban Deli on King St..1 block from market..has small smoker on site....Another spot in Market sq smokes outside of town but has a counter in Cougars (if not Cougars its bar beside it)... Market sq is mall at bottom of king st ....These 2 spots are ONLY places Ive had Pulled pork (other than my own)so if you partake, agin id be interested in your take on em

Best bet for bevy...Callahans....spitting distanse from Cruise terminal (3 wood shot if at under construstion\new terminal...prices, people and arcutecture all tourist freindly....when are you here?...might bump into you..rob

5string
09-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Lord's Lobster in the City Market****city market MUST SEE****interested to hear how they stack up...Grab a bag of dulse from slocums...even if you dont like it "straight" it make for an interesting ingredient in cooking

Urban Deli on King St..1 block from market..has small smoker on site....Another spot in Market sq smokes outside of town but has a counter in Cougars (if not Cougars its bar beside it)... Market sq is mall at bottom of king st ....These 2 spots are ONLY places Ive had Pulled pork (other than my own)so if you partake, agin id be interested in your take on em

Best bet for bevy...Callahans....spitting distanse from Cruise terminal (3 wood shot if at under construstion\new terminal...prices, people and arcutecture all tourist freindly....when are you here?...might bump into you..rob

Thanks for the great info Rob. We'll be in Saint John on the 18th and will definately check out your suggestions. We're excited about visiting the east side of Canada as we've been to the west side many times. (Vancouver and Victoria, BC)

High Q
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I can't help you on the whole trip but I have a fair amount of experience on Mount Desert Island, Maine. I'm not a huge Bar Harbor fan because it's a little too touristy for me. My family has vacationed on Mount Desert Island a number of times and lobster rolls are one of my favorites.

My number 1 recommendation is Trenton Bridge Lobster. It's just across the bridge back to the mainland, It's down the shore a bit from the main road. Unbelievable view across the narrows, very secluded location. Beyond the lobster roll, they also have an unreal blueberry pie. The lobster operation runs year round but the dining room is seasonal so make sure they are open before you go.

A trip to the 'quiet side' of Mount Desert is worth a drive if you have a chance. If you can go to the west side of the island, I would recommend Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard. Hard core fishing town with a great lobster pound right on the harbor.

Another option is Beal's Lobster Pier in SW Harbor. It gets very busy during the summer season but if you are going this time of year you won't have any issue. Another great setting right on the water. This is one of our go to restaurants.

If you are stuck in Bar Harbor and can't leave. Try West Street Cafe.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

PS: The tip on Red's Eats in Camden is a great one. The wholde restaurant is the size of a woodshed on the main drag in Camden. Great lobster roll, one of the best I have had. Bad news is that it's a fair drive from Bar Harbor.

Teamfour
09-10-2012, 07:55 AM
We did that route last year. Best lobster roll was at a tiny place on the main drag in Bar Harbor. Don't remember the name. We didn't look for BBQ places.

Remembered the name: Downeast Deli.

Gore
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Been on a few lobster roll tours. I must admit the lobster rolls themselves usually are a disappointment, way overpriced and low on lobster. The shacks themselves are another matter. Remember one small restaurant on the Bay of Fundy where we ordered blueberry pie for dessert and the servings were 1/3 of the pie. I still can taste that one. :hungry: Our first tour ended at McDonalds. I'm not sure where it was, but it was when I was dropping my parents off in New York. I'm guessing it was in Moncton. My mom commented, "I can't believe the best lobster roll we got on this whole trip was at McDonalds. It was half the price and had twice as much lobster." :doh:

I admit that I've never had one at a place that would make me go back, but I AM paying attention to what is posted on this list....

Caper
09-11-2012, 06:49 AM
I feel more confident recommending a good lobster roll in Halifax than good BBQ, just because of my limited experience with eating BBQ in the US. Saying that, I'll still give you my picks. The Battered Fish on Lower Water St has a great lobster roll, (although the best lobster in the world is at my kitchen table ), and they have very fine haddock, fresh and sweet. I have eaten BBQ at Boneheads and I thought it was very good, but it's a small spot and there isn't any booze if that's an issue. I hope you have a great trip, it's a super time of year in Nova Scotia.

1MoreFord
09-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Been on a few lobster roll tours. I must admit the lobster rolls themselves usually are a disappointment, way overpriced and low on lobster. The shacks themselves are another matter. Remember one small restaurant on the Bay of Fundy where we ordered blueberry pie for dessert and the servings were 1/3 of the pie. I still can taste that one. :hungry: Our first tour ended at McDonalds. I'm not sure where it was, but it was when I was dropping my parents off in New York. I'm guessing it was in Moncton. My mom commented, "I can't believe the best lobster roll we got on this whole trip was at McDonalds. It was half the price and had twice as much lobster." :doh:

I admit that I've never had one at a place that would make me go back, but I AM paying attention to what is posted on this list....

Sure wished the McD's down the street an' roun' the corner from me offered a lobstah roll. I don't even have a nasty Joe's Crab shack nearby.:tsk:

Gore
09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Sure wished the McD's down the street an' roun' the corner from me offered a lobstah roll. I don't even have a nasty Joe's Crab shack nearby.:tsk:

Yeah, wouldn't mind if they had it my way also, but it's a Maritime thing. The only other thing on the menu that I can stand to eat is the Asian chicken salad and they have two different versions of that. :crazy:

lemur
09-24-2012, 04:24 AM
How was trip?..Food?

5string
09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
How was trip?..Food?

It was great! We did make it to Lords in City Market who had the best tasting lobster. The Barking Crab in Newport, RI was the winner by just size, it was huge. Thanks again for the tips.

gettinbasted
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Neptune oyster in the north end Boston is as good as it gets. They have an original and a hot one soaked in butter. Best rolls ever

http://neptuneoyster.com

MacNH
10-22-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm a new member to the brethren. I wish I had join a couple of moths ago and I would have told you about "Taste of Maine" restaurant in Bath Maine. A co-worker had told me about this place back in May knowing I was going to be in the area in June. I took my brother there for lunch since he is crazy about lobster. The hot dog roll is 30 inches long and stuffed with the meat of five 1.5lb lobsters. It was huge. And since a normal size roll is anywhere from $15-$20... This was a bargain at $50. Everyting about the roll was awesome. The roll was toasted and warm and the lobster was cooked perfectly. We are going again next year for sure.

Remember it for the next road trip.
MacNH

5string
10-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm a new member to the brethren. I wish I had join a couple of moths ago and I would have told you about "Taste of Maine" restaurant in Bath Maine. A co-worker had told me about this place back in May knowing I was going to be in the area in June. I took my brother there for lunch since he is crazy about lobster. The hot dog roll is 30 inches long and stuffed with the meat of five 1.5lb lobsters. It was huge. And since a normal size roll is anywhere from $15-$20... This was a bargain at $50. Everyting about the roll was awesome. The roll was toasted and warm and the lobster was cooked perfectly. We are going again next year for sure.

Remember it for the next road trip.
MacNH

Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on the list for our next trip north.