PDA

View Full Version : California Beer Festival in Ventura

sunrise
09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Just curious, is anyone else doing the California Beer festival this coming weekend in Ventura?

BowtieBill
09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Just curious, is anyone else doing the California Beer festival this coming weekend in Ventura?

Yes, I will be there. This is my first year, not sure what to expect.
I have spoke to the organizer a few years ago hoping they could make this a sanctioned event.
Practicing my Open category right now.

Bill

BowtieBill
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Great seeing you this weekend Ron. Hope your wife is feeling better.
Congrats on your first place call! Was it fo chicken? Sorry for not remembering, this weekend kicked my behind.
Are you coming out to Dana Point?

BowtieBill
09-18-2012, 02:17 PM
This was a fun event in a great setting. But it kicked my butt, had to cook it by myself. Sherry and her sister did help out, doing the PC serving. Never seen lines of people like this for PC, it was crazy(and I have done Stagecoach).
I got lucky and took home the GC, with 1st in Pork (I turned in spare ribs), and 2nd in Brisket. Ron took home a first place as well (in chicken?).
Of course, it is always a better comp when I get to hang out with Steve (All Hogs go to Heaven), always keeps me laughing. Though did miss Ardith and Ted not being there.
Another competitor that I met was Ken Gregory (BBQ Memphis), who recently relocated out this way. He has won category at MIM. Hope he will join our Association, I am sure we will see him at some more CA comps soon. Also "Smoke it, it's Legal" and "La Salle's" was there. There was a total of 10 teams.
Tammy, the promoter, did a fantastic job on putting this on. Hope that one day they can make this a sanctioned event. Though the HD sure was the toughest one ever, which might make it impossible to do.