PDA

View Full Version : Retirement and must see places

smoke-n-my-i's
09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
If all goes well, I am thinking of retiring in a few yrs and put in some travel to many places that I have always wanted to go to, but never taken the time to go see.

I have started a list, and will sit down and start setting them in an order of travel... I am also going to, now picture this one, travel as many non-interstate roads as possible.... back roads so to speak... enjoy the breeze in the hair thing.... just have a great time and be in no hurry.

What are, in your opinion some of your "MUST SEE" places?

BTW, I hope to eventually see all of the lower 48 states.....

mmmmeat
09-09-2012, 12:17 AM
arizona. We've got a lil of everything.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I do have RT 66 on my list, and as it goes through your state, I will be visiting some.... is there some really great places that I should put on my "have to see" list that you would recommend that is not along RT 66?

lemur
09-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Worlds highest tides...Bay of Fundy in Atlantic Canada...July aug better than Jan Feb :wink:

wnkt
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
We had a couple great vacations over the years....one was we flew into Phoenix and went up to the Grand Canyon....we also visited Sedona Arizona which is where a lot of the big red rocks are, in the city of Sedona are a crapload of shops and stuff....cant swing a dead cat without hitting a t-shirt shop...we drove through Albuquerque and then up to Taos New Mexico....then over to Denver where we flew out of.

Another nice trip was the Pacific Northwest...we flew into Seattle and went to Mt Ranier and then down into Oregon and saw Crater Lake..saw Mt St Helens....dipped down into California breifly, then back up north and saw a lot of waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge in and around Portland.

5string
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Just drop down to 85, hang a right, merge onto 40 west and keep going! We've done the trip twice and plan on another one in the spring. Just too many things to list. When you blow through Greensboro, look south and wave. Safe travels Brother.

4uweque
09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
America, try to see all of it! It's farkin beautiful almost everywhere you go.

caseydog
09-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Be sure to go in July. :rolleyes::becky:

CD

caseydog
09-10-2012, 01:11 PM
The only place in Texas I'd recommend is the Hill Country around Austin and San Antonio. Nice country roads, with Bluebonnets in bloom around March/April. Also, the best BBQ in the State.

CD

Teamfour
09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I love going to all of the places of beauty in this country. But don't count out Washington DC. It is quite educational and most attractions are FREE!

Gore
09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
The one place I would go back to in a heartbeat is the Gamirasu Hotel in Cappadocia

http://www.gamirasu.com/

Stayed there many years ago for about 5 days. We had them arrange three days of local tours for us. Everything was amazing. Cappadocia is an amazing place.

The_Kapn
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Do you have hobbies or other such interests?

If so, look at destinations that feature that topic.

Mrs Kapn and I are NASCAR fans and intended to visit all of the tracks over several years. Never came to pass for several reasons, but illustrates what I am suggesting.

Enjoy your retirement when ya get there!!!
We do :-D

TIM

deguerre
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Monument Valley Utah.

Gore
09-10-2012, 03:25 PM

I'd have to second that. The first time I drove across the country, I felt sorry for everyone living in all the other states. I still feel Arizona has more to offer than any other state. Too bad it's going to be wall-to-wall townhouses in the next decade. :tsk: Last time I went through I was really depressed of all the beautiful places that I loved that were paved over and gone.

deepsouth
09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
nothing to see here (in mississippi)....

Jetlagger2
09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Great time to visit New England!

4uweque
09-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Monument Valley Utah.

Rode a motorcycle across there last year, it is truly spectacular.

Gore
09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
In Japan, one of the most memorable was Nara and their pick-pocketing deer. I laughed myself silly when I was there.

1MoreFord
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Smoke, I'm gonna recommend you go peruse some photography sites. The Nikon Cafe or Fred Miranda forums are good starts and look thru their travel / destination / landscape type forums. You'll find must see places you never new existed.

With that said, I've got the Grand Canyon, Moab, Painted Desert, and Monument Valley on the list, plus the upper NE seaboard. Oh, and an Outer and Inner Coastal transit to Alaska and back and as much of Alaska as I can stand. Now, all I need to do is win the lottery so I can afford it. While I'm dreamin' a Trans Canadian train ride would be nice too.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the input.... and, some of those ideas are on my list already, and some are not.... but will be.

Great idea on the photo and tourists forums.. I hadn't thought of that one. I have been doing a LOT of looking and "dreaming" and hopefully it will all fall into place. Time will tell.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
The one place I would go back to in a heartbeat is the Gamirasu Hotel in Cappadocia

http://www.gamirasu.com/

Stayed there many years ago for about 5 days. We had them arrange three days of local tours for us. Everything was amazing. Cappadocia is an amazing place.

Gonna be kinda hard to drive the truck hauling the trailer to get there... LOL

In Japan, one of the most memorable was Nara and their pick-pocketing deer. I laughed myself silly when I was there.

Same here.... :)

bbqbull
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Montana and Wyoming are awesome states. The Upper Penninsula of Michigan is also beautiful.
Guess I would just Google your "must see places" and hang on Bill!

Cast Iron Chef
09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Glacier Park Montana! My favorite spot in the US.

Jorge
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
If all goes well, I am thinking of retiring in a few yrs and put in some travel to many places that I have always wanted to go to, but never taken the time to go see.

I have started a list, and will sit down and start setting them in an order of travel... I am also going to, now picture this one, travel as many non-interstate roads as possible.... back roads so to speak... enjoy the breeze in the hair thing.... just have a great time and be in no hurry.

What are, in your opinion some of your "MUST SEE" places?

BTW, I hope to eventually see all of the lower 48 states.....

Make the exception for Hawaii. It's on the short list for a return visit for us. We only had a couple of days to spend on Oahu, but it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

big brother smoke
09-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Washington to California, San Diego (coastal). You will be awe of nature and a few other things, lol.

seadad9903
09-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Williamsburg, Virginia. The whole Hampton Roads area has a lot to see and do, but I think Colonial Williamsburg is at the top of the must do list for this area.