PDA

View Full Version : Trying legs

4uweque
09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm gonna try turning in legs for chicken this week, I know it's a big risk but I'm tired of thighs. Any advise? (don't do it will not be accepted)

QN
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Go for it. I have seen legs do well. The 1st place KCBS chicken team of the year for 2011 cooks nothing but legs.

Shiz-Nit
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Keep us updated on the results

4uweque
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Any opinions on how to handle the skin??

QN
09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Any opinions on how to handle the skin??

Very carefully :becky:

deguerre
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
They let you cook chicken in Millington and call it barbeque?

4uweque
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
They let you cook chicken in Millington and call it barbeque?

At least it isn't goat!

pahutchens
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I've seen some nice legs at contests this summer, including in a turn in box :doh:

One that has showed up were small legs that had a fan of breast meat over the foot end of the bone.. One of the guys who cooks and Judges said that a key was to cut the skin and tendons near the bottom so when you bite its a better experience.... if that makes sense.

Lake Dogs
09-07-2012, 02:21 PM
At least it isn't goat!
barbacoa chivo is still barbacoa, barbacoa pollo is just pollo.

deguerre
09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the Millington Barbeque Network has a whole goat category...

dreed
09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I have flipped over to ckicken lollipops last year into the beginning of this year and they were more inconsistent and had lower scores. I would cut the tendons and remove the larger ones. Then push all the meat down to the proximal part of the bone. wrap the exposed bone with aluminum foil so they wouldn't burn.

bbq.tom
09-07-2012, 05:52 PM
From a judge's perspective, I've seen many more "leg" boxes this year than previous. One possible problem with legs is that they can seem "dryer" than thighs after sitting in a turn-in box for a while. At least that is what I've experienced.
I don't judge any different between legs and thighs, and while I take a bite from opposing sides of the piece (leg or thigh) I have not experienced tendons or anything else in the legs that hurt the tenderness score. Skin on the legs seems to have more bite-through without being removed and scraped and reassembled. Just saying...

HarleyEarl
09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I tried legs at a couple contests earlier this year then switched back to thighs. The presentation scores were low on the legs which seemed to transfer over to the other two scores. All scores went up with thighs - same marinade, rub, sauce, etc. Contests cost just way too much to keep turning in a cut of meat I perceived not appealing to the judges.

BTW my preference would be to turn in legs since the prep time is cut by over half. Good luck and let us know what your experience is.

Chenernator
09-07-2012, 08:00 PM
We turned in legs last year because we couldn't find any decent thighs. Then we ended up winning. Go figure. We just left the skin as it came from the butcher.

4uweque
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Well I think it worked out ok. I was solidly in the middle of the pack. Slightly better than normal for my chicken and it was much easier to prepare. I'm not giving up on them yet.