PDA

View Full Version : ATTN MoFos and others... April 28-29, 2006

Jeff_in_KC
11-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Have you thought about where are you going? Two contests that weekend. One is the Osage River Bottoms BBQ and Blues Festival at Warsaw. The second is Smokin' in the Creek at Sugar Creek. Best I recall last year, Warsaw was small (30 teams maybe?). The 2006 Sugar Creek contest will have 60 teams. Wayne and Jay, I know both you guys did Warsaw last year. I had planned on doing it this year but Lana (Squeal of Approval) says they had more fun at Sugar Creek last year than they did at Warsaw the year before and there is more money. She thinks I should go to Sugar Creek. What's your opinions? I haven't seen an entry form from Warsaw yet but Sugar Creek's I do have and they're only asking $75 entry fee for all four categories and a 20' x 30' space. electricity isn't even extra. Additional space (ten double spaces are available) is $50. It's tempting but would be more fun with some of the Brethren there.

Any MoFo, Kansas teams or anyone else for that matter thinking of competing at Sugar Creek or Warsaw?

MoKanMeathead
11-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Warsaw was a good contest, and you are correct, it was small - 25 teams. It is not as expensive as the other contests so the money isn't that much and the ribbons were kind of cheesy. We got 2nd in brisket and got a red ribbon that says "2nd Place". That is no contest name or date, or even that it was for brisket.

The Meteaheads will probably do Sugar Creek next year but we haven't gotten together yet to look at next years schedule. We may end of doing Warsaw again.

The Squeal girls will go where the money is - plus Alision's coworkers at the Independence PD will be there.

Jeff_in_KC
11-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Wayne, I'm leaning towards Sugar Creek myself, even though I love the Truman Lake area and I might be able to somehow combine some crappie fishing with BBQ that weekend if I went to Warsaw. Have to wait to hear from Jay on his plans for this weekend but I'd like to go where some of you guys are going. To me, that makes it more fun.

I'm thinking crappie fishing below Truman Dam on Thursday evening after work, get a motel room nearby Thursday night then set up everything Friday morning at the cook site and after getting the contest meat all seasoned, head back over to the dam for some more fishing... maybe get enough fish for a Friday evening meal that doesn't involve firing up the cooker!

Paola Greg
11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Jeff, last year in April we went to Osage City on 4-15 (a must do for us next year), Marshall on 4-22 (can pass next year), and Lawrence on 5-6 (a must do for us next year). So I can see us doing either Warsaw or Sugar Creek on 4-29 in lieu of Marshall next year. Of the two, I think we'd prefer Sugar Creek, it's closer to home.

Jeff_in_KC
11-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Greg. I was thinking about Osage City mainly because I really don't want to wait until April 28 to go to a contest! I have a friend who is in Lawrence Sertoma and wants me to cook the Lawrence event but being the Mizzou guy that I am, not sure I could handle it. Norm Stewart always said he'd go there for a game but would never spend the night there! I'm just wondering what the air in Lawrence would do to my Q. Might give it a nasty flavor! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/685.gif

MoKanMeathead
11-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Osage City was a great contest last year - well run and the volunteers would literaly do anything you needed. The desert and misc. catagory was Friday night and it was judged on-site. It was great - next year we'll feed the judges some strawberry margarita's along with their desert.

We have done Lawerance the last couple of years and will probably do that one again also, although that was a stretch of 3 contests in 4 weekends. I guess kind of like Hermann, the Royal and DeSoto.