PDA

View Full Version : HnF Advice Needed for Charity Event

Swine Spectator
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I am entering a non-sanctioned Charity event in two weeks. There is no money involved, just braggin' rights. I am planning to enter all of the categories (Sauce, Ribs, Chicken, Butts, & Sausage).

HOWEVER, the organizers threw one major monkey wrench into the competition. Teams cannot set up until 6:45 AM and Butts are due at 3:00 PM.

For practical purposes, that leaves 7 hours to cook. I have always cooked my butts at 225# for 12-14 hours unwrapped. I know that I can't get it done my way in the time allotted. Here are my ideas about how to overcome this challenge. You thoughts and advice would be much appreciated:

1. Seek out the smallest butts I can find (or have butcher cut them in half).
2. Run temp up to 275#.
3. Wrap (gasp!) at 2 hours.
4. Unwrap for last hour.

I might even try putting one wrapped butt on the upper rack nearest to the firebox (300#), just to see if I can get it to pull.

Any thoughts?

David

nthole
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I'll give you one key to remember. You're cooking to turn in pork butt, not cooking it at home to shred it to make a nice pulled pork. As such... the center doesn't have to be at 195 does it? The pieces you want to turn in have to be exactly where you want them to be to turn in.

Just sayin'. :wink:

landarc
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Run it at 300F, assume you will foil wrap, check the meat often. And what Neil said is true, it doesn't all have to be done. You might even consider boneless.

Swine Spectator
09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Good Point, thanks!

Stoke&Smoke
09-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I had to cook up a bunch of meat 2 saturdays ago for a couple of parties, one that day, and the rest, this weekend. I had a lot going on, and didn't want to do the normal 12-14 hour overnight for the pork, so I gave Patio Daddio's method ( http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2012/02/hot-fast-memphis-style-pulled-pork.html ) a try.

I don't know that I would use it for a competition, in that the higher temp made going from done to overdone much easier to do, but overall, it produced very satisfactory results, in WAY less time! I'm sure he has it posted here somewhere as well, but this link was handy (sorry mods)

Good luck!

LTG
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Cook at 300-325 assuming you are using the Klose.

Swine Spectator
09-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Just got home from the event. This was a good outing. In a field of ~20 teams, I took 1st in Whole Chicken, 1st in Ribs, and 3rd in Pork Butt. Not bad, eh?.

David
The Swine Spectator

4uweque
09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Good job!