PDA

View Full Version : Greasy/Slimy Pork Butt

Eggspert
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Our pork butt has not scored well in competition all year long. This weekend we had a bunch of family over to judge our competition recipe along with a couple of other recipes we are considering. The recipe has scored a 5th and 10th place finish, but then 3 other comps. finished in lower 1/2 of the pack.

Everyone preferred a very simple butt with rub, wrapped late in the cook. Our competition butt is injected with Butcher's, rubbed with a traditional rub and wrapped at 170 degrees (about 5 hours in). The biggest complaint about the competition butt is that it feels slimy/greasy in your mouth. My 8 year-old niece actually scored our comp. recipe a 4 for texture, ouch!!! She doesn't like slimy.

When we "wrap" we have been putting our butt in an aluminum pan and covering with foil, instead of tight wrapping in foil. Could sitting in the juices make the meat more greasy? I was trying to make things simple with the pan vs foil wrap. Is it the Butcher's injection that gives the meat that coated/greasy/slimy feel? I have cut back on the powder in the injection by 1/2 of the recommendation, but still it does have that texture.

Has anybody had luck with a simply pork butt recipe? I have to agree that I prefer the traditional pork but, without the heavy injection and richness to it. I just wonder if compared to 5 other butts at the table injected it will not appear bland/flavorless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange thermapen

The_Kapn
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Off the top of my head----"greasy/slimey" is un-rendered fat or too much pan drippings added back in.

Beyond that.... I don't have a clue.

This is a general cooking question.

TIM

CivilWarBBQ
09-04-2012, 06:40 PM
One thing is certain, and that is that unless your friends and family are active CBJ's their opinion is essentially useless when it comes to developing comp Q recipes. Comp cooking is a totally different animal.

That said, "slimy" is not usually a word associated with fat content. My guess is they are picking up on xanthan, guar or other powdered gum used to thicken many commercial injection products. It that is the case, cutting back or eliminating it may get you where you are trying to go.

landarc
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, leaving a pork butt, that is done, in a pan of it's own rendered fat and juices will result in a greasy product as it cools. Adding in the strained and defatted juice can be good, letting a butt sit in cooling fat, is not good.

Smokin Mike
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I would trim more fat, and wrap tight, not in a pan.

well thats what I do, I have very little fat cap on mine when I am done trimming, BUT, I don't need a layer of protection from the fire.