PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Trigg says...

jmoney7269
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Johnny trigg says he has never injected a peice of meat and never will. I will almost guarantee that he cooks wagyu briskets, but I looked at a recent comp he just did and he won by alot of points compared to the rest of the field. I have tried many different types of injections, but I do use kosmos occasionally for comps, but have just kinda gotten away from all that since I have been honing my comp techniques. What do you comp guys thInk about this injection trend?

Ford
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I think people should do what works for them. Different smokers, different temps, wrapping or not all work together and it's what works for you.

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I couldnt say that for sure either way, but Trigg seems like the one to cook the best brisket he can find, regardless of grade. And best brisket for him probably has more to do with feel and touch than grading and marbling.

huminie
09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
He doesn't inject and he doesn't use wagyu. He relies on good cooking.

Dustaway
09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Johnny cooks snake river farms did you ever think that it might not be the injection but what is done after it's cooked?

most contest are won and lost in the last few moments before you close the lid...

big matt
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
He doesn't inject and he doesn't use wagyu. He relies on good cooking.

Your half right..he doesn't inject..we actually had a talk about brisket this weekend at 4 am.

Scottie
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Not sure where some folks are getting their info... Not that i want to roll over on johnny on how he cooks. But all the info that has been stated is not correct. You figure out which one isn't' correct though...

jmoney7269
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I have Cooked the SRF briskets, I prefer the Strube

Wampus
09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
I heard he injects his brisket with LOVE. :shock:

For us, we've cooked SRF waygu, CAB, Creekstone Prime, Strube waygu and we didn't finish the best with either one of the waygus.
We've even cooked a Choice CAB at the same time as a Prime on the same cooker and with the same exact injection, rub and timeline and ended up turning in the CAB because it was better.

Me things that sometimes it's more about the cook (not the Cook him/herself, but how the actual cook goes) than the meat. Maybe not.

Pack-A-Smokes
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
We were at a comp two years ago and we had a brisket problem. The problem was we did not have one due to some shipping issues. Actually had to stop at Sam's on the way Friday and pick up two. They guy next to us had a SRF and was carrying on and on about how you were wasting time cooking anything but a SRF and anything else was trash. Had to hear about his "perfect" injection also. Wonder how he felt when we did twice as well as him with our crappy Sam's brisket.
I guess the point is that sometimes it can be the meat, sometimes the cook and sometimes the process of cooking. Injection will not produce a better product if the meat is not that good or if the process is off or if the cook gets half drunk and forgets to check the temp :doh:

Triple T BBQ
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Not sure what Johnny does, but I did conduct an experiment at our last comp. We had cooked a choice and a SRF brisket and had left overs. When the judges has finished judging for the day, a number of them were wandering around visiting after the event was over. I asked several of them to try the briskets that were in a pan to see what they thought of each one. I did not tell them what they were or that I had prepped them the same. Out of the several judges who stopped by several liked the SRF, and several liked the Choice brisket. I would say with proper prep, and what the cook does to the meat has a lot to do with how it comes out. Certainly adding the best possible quality to the mix helps but its also about knowing how to cook each kind of meat quality too that matters in my humble opinion.:thumb:

Cayman1
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
This is an interesting article on Wagyu.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/13/foods-biggest-scam-part-2-domestic-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/

huminie
09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Your half right..he doesn't inject..we actually had a talk about brisket this weekend at 4 am.

Then this is something that has changed recently. This year at most. Traditionally he has been very successful at using non-wagyu. Maybe BP has converted him.

jmoney7269
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/13/foods-biggest-scam-part-2-domestic-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/

I read that article also. I do believe it to some extent.

Butcher BBQ
09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Not sure where some folks are getting their info... Not that i want to roll over on johnny on how he cooks. But all the info that has been stated is not correct. You figure out which one isn't' correct though...

I do remember the finals of the Pitmasters show that was filmed in CA. They cooked whole hog and he mentioned he injected his hog. Just saying the words NEVER is not quite true.

Big Poppa
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Sort of crazy to speak for him...but

He cooks wagyu mostly these days....

David you are right he injected that whole hog...first hog he had cooked...

He doesnt inject briskets or butts though

rookiedad
09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Johnny Trigg don't need to inject. he just tells the stuff to get in there and it goes!

porkingINpublic
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Someone go sign JT up on the Brethren so he can tell us! :grin:

drbbq
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

He cooked hogs at the old BBQLossal in DesMoines.

Big Poppa
09-04-2012, 09:35 PM
he doesnt think so I know he hasnt cooked sardines Ray!

JD McGee
09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Took Johnny's class...chatted with him a few times about this, that, and the other at a couple of comps in Vegas...if you want to know how he cooks...ask Trish...:becky:

Scottie
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
That was made for TV Ray. Ive seen Johnny cook a few whole hogs. Him and Rod fighting over which hog we were cooking...

jmoney7269
09-05-2012, 07:24 AM

To set the record straight, not speaking for him at all, just repeating his exact words off of the last season of pitmasters. I personally think thick cuts need injections to get the profile you want. I know pork butts especially.

mr dirts bbq
09-05-2012, 08:12 AM

that was a very interesting article indeed! now im thinking long and hard about next SRF briskie, hmmmmm

ique
09-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Johnny trigg says he has never injected a peice of meat and never will. I will almost guarantee that he cooks wagyu briskets, but I looked at a recent comp he just did and he won by alot of points compared to the rest of the field. I have tried many different types of injections, but I do use kosmos occasionally for comps, but have just kinda gotten away from all that since I have been honing my comp techniques. What do you comp guys thInk about this injection trend?

You can find out directly from the old man himself:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138336

Candy Sue
09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I have been totally off the needle for 3 contests now. My only call in pork this year was non-injected. I've only injected brisket once this year (bad results). I credit Mr. Trigg for making me "clean."

drbbq
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
he doesnt think so I know he hasnt cooked sardines Ray!

I have not cooked sardines either.

Big Poppa
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
ever tried three types of alligator?

jmoney7269
09-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I have not cooked sardines either.

ever tried three types of alligator?

What does any of this have to do with my thread?

drbbq
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I apologize. I will never post in one of your threads again.

jmoney7269
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Dont care who posts in my thread, it's a forum, as long as its on topic and there is potentially useful knowledge to be shared. Ya know kinda like the header on the competition thread says. It sucks to have to read through off topic comments, jokes, or pokes when it's supposed to be straight to the point.

BBQchef33
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
What does any of this have to do with my thread?

I apologize. I will never post in one of your threads again.

Dont care who posts in my thread, it's a forum, as long as its on topic and there is potentially useful knowledge to be shared. Ya know kinda like the header on the competition thread says. It sucks to have to read through off topic comments, jokes, or pokes when it's supposed to be straight to the point.

This is addressed specifically in our rules. This is taken directly from our rules document (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207448&postcount=2), and highlighted for you. We all joke and banter in the forum. Expected and allowed as long as it does get out of control, or derail or screw up the thread. If it gets hijacked, the mods will address it.

Our members have an uncanny ability to hijack anything that moves, but they will always respect a post when needed. Lighthearted banter during an On topic post is the norm and allowed. If the banter derails the post, a moderator will scrub it and put it back on track. If posts go cold, they might get hijacked and taken Off Topic. Please understand this is part of our lighthearted nature. Moderators will split or scrub posts if the original intent is being compromised and the post needs to stay for informational purposes (Roadmapped. Explained below). If a post is hijacked that you wish to keep on track, please PM a moderator.

jmoney7269
09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
This is addressed specifically in our rules. This is taken directly from our rules document (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207448&postcount=2), and highlighted for you. We all joke and banter in the forum. Expected and allowed as long as it does get out of control, or derail or screw up the thread. If it gets hijacked, the mods will address it.

Got you. Thanks I just left a forum because you would make a thread and after about 1 page, it was nothing but banter. I have only been on 2 types of forums so far, overmoderated and undermoderated. I will lighten up a little for sure as this looks to be a promising home. This seems like the most knowledgable forum of well rounded cooks I have joined so far

Scottie
09-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Thread killer Poobah...

Lake Dogs
09-05-2012, 11:53 AM
> What do you comp guys think about this injection trend?

I think for some it works great, and for others they're able to produce equally awesome Q without it. I think do what works best for you and rock on.

As to Johnny, doing it or not... Good for him.

BBQchef33
09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
My side by sides only showed that while injecting can give a 'beefier' flavor(using beef base, prime dust, etc) at times it can even become overwhelming beef, or too rich.

I see no reason to inject with other flavors(garlic, onions, rubs, etc), since the goal is to have a beef product.. and to balance it by enhancing without overpowering.

for comps, i inject with phosphates to help with moisture, and a small amount of beef base.. want the beef to shine, nothing else.

For home.. salt,pepper, garlic, and a small amount of powdered celery seed on the outside and thats it.

tmcmaster
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Good thread...

(Yes, I'm shigging!!! :icon_smile_tongue: )

Big Poppa
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
sorry J money....Im out too. Dont want to bum you out.

For the record I do produce most of Johnnys classes and was trying to be helpful sorry i had fun with the good dr.

jmoney7269
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I appreciate any and a good information. Sorry I jumped the gun on you earlier.

huminie
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
No matter what you do, don't forget what you are trying to accomplish. That is to create the best BBQ you can. Injections are a great tool to use for getting flavor inside large pieces of meat and some products can help with moisture retention of that meat. But at the end of the day you are trying to create the best tasting meat with best possible texture. That means you have to create an entire flavor profile that works with the meat and you have to cook it well. Some people can achieve this with injections, some can achieve this without. If you do use injections, you have to use them properly and create a balance between all of your flavors. You have to decide what works best for you, your cooking style and your cooker to create the best possible product to present to the judges.

Pappy
09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I thought the mention of sardines was because the DR BBQ had to grill some on the TV show "Chopped". Maybe jmoney7269 didn't make the connection for the sardine humor.

YankeeBBQ
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
He cooked hogs at the old BBQLossal in DesMoines.

You could split the hog at Qlossal if I remember correctly. So it's possible he never cooked a WHOLE hog

PatAttack
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I thought the mention of sardines was because the DR BBQ had to grill some on the TV show "Chopped". Maybe jmoney7269 didn't make the connection for the sardine humor.

I don't think jmoney knows who drbbq is.:shocked:

Hopefully he will look him up.

jmoney7269
09-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Ray lampe right? The guy that got sent home on a salad on chopped grill masters? Dr BBQ? Holy smokes really? Omg
I mean that's great and all, I bet he is a really awesome guy to hang out with. He was very humble on the show in which all bbqr's should be. I watch every Bbq show there literally is. I love the sport and the art of it. Since making a full time switch to this site, I hope to get to know everyone well. Maybe even hand out some arse whoopins and take some at cookoffs.

PatAttack
09-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Ray lampe right? The guy that got sent home on a salad on chopped grill masters? Dr BBQ? Holy smokes really? Omg
I mean that's great and all, I bet he is a really awesome guy to hang out with. He was very humble on the show in which all bbqr's should be. I watch every Bbq show there literally is. I love the sport and the art of it. Since making a full time switch to this site, I hope to get to know everyone well. Maybe even hand out some arse whoopins and take some at cookoffs.

That would be him, Sir.

plethoraofpinatas
09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
But all the info that has been stated is not correct. You figure out which one isn't' correct though...

This type of statement is so frustrating... If there is a true statement on this thread why don't you just say what it is? I'm sure if he told you he would not care if you told us. It's not like us knowing whether or not he injects or which brand of meat he uses is going to make the difference between him winning a comp or not. Like another Brethren said, it is often what happens after the meat is off the smoker that matters most.

White Dog BBQ
09-07-2012, 08:42 AM
This type of statement is so frustrating... If there is a true statement on this thread why don't you just say what it is? I'm sure if he told you he would not care if you told us. It's not like us knowing whether or not he injects or which brand of meat he uses is going to make the difference between him winning a comp or not. Like another Brethren said, it is often what happens after the meat is off the smoker that matters most.

I have to disagree here. There are a lot of guys (Scottie and Johnny being some of them) that charge for classes where there give up their secrets. It would be pretty crummy to share for free what these guys are selling.

Not to mention no one here is entitled to this information.

AZScott
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Agreed. The more you compete, the more you know about what your competition does by talking to them over a cup of coffee, water, beer, etc at the competition. It's one of those things that happens and although others may know what a team has told me there isn't a chance I'll tell anyone else what I was told. If Johnny or any top team wanted to explain what they do, they would be on here telling us what they do.

Grizmt
09-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Gotta love Johnny and Trish, still a mystery after all these years!:icon_shy :clap2: