PDA

View Full Version : What happened in Myrtle Beach?

bbqbrad
09-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Can anyone who was there say what happened? I'm hearing 2nd hand stuff on Facebook...

Sauced!
09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I heard a tray of chicken boxes was dumped over and a pork box was lost. I heard it second hand after turn ins were over. It wasnt a very organized contest at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bbqbrad
09-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Holy cow. If HALF what I'm now seeing is true... Holy sh@t...

Muzzlebrake
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Fill us in, we're not seeing what you are

Market Hunter
09-03-2012, 03:03 PM
IDK about the overturned chicken boxes. I hope mine was on that "alleged" overturned tray and the judges had to wipe off gravel to eat it. Or, SC judges hate my chicken (which may be more accurate) which would explain my "less than spectacular" chicken scores.

I DO know that "Is this your chicken box? OR is this your CHICKEN box?" was the question posed to my neighbor by the Rep. It was due to 2 teams having the same turn in number. He handled it a lot better than most I may add.

Those that were directly involved can provide a more accurate statement. I am curious to hear the story behind the "alleged" lost pork box after turn in and how it was handled.

Overall, heat, wet ground and lack of adequate electricity may have made this contest a lot more disorganized than it appeared. IDK, I was sweating too much to care...

bbqbrad
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I've heard trucks were towed,...

"So if not enough water or electricity, no communication between organizers,reps and teams,the reps loosing my pork turn in box,not giving me a sauce turn in cup (only asked 5 times),and our neighbor gets kicked out for vending the same as last year ( that communication thing again) was not enough, the wonderful event organizers unplugged my electric cord( for fridge only) yesterday to remove hose but FAILED to plug it back in.......YEEHAA what a great event NOT!"

"Lets not forget ..oh yeah, you wont be able to head out till after fireworks around 10pm.. got that notification thursday on the road there!! Please fill out the kcbs critique for this event, it will have an impact on future sanctioning.."

"Lets not forget rib turn in when no one showed up to receive boxes until 12:26."

"Also at 11:35 cop comes around told me to move my truck right as I was doing chicken. So after I moved it they told me I could leave where it was. So I said need to get ur **** strait. Won't be back."

"Your right, everyone's talking about it. I'm surprised teams still show up..they must like to get their trucks towed. Or maybe they like to have to be held by police till after the fireworks Saturday night. Seems that the cookers are the last ones they take care of."

I don't think you can blame this in KCBS or SBN. Sounds like an organizer problem....

Diva
09-03-2012, 03:42 PM
If boxes weren't numbered correctly, thats falls on the Reps. If a box was lost, that, too, falls on the Reps.

Muzzlebrake
09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Sounds like there were a few problems, that's too bad. I heard there were issues last year but they were handled and the contest was supposedly headed in the right direction. Sounds like maybe not quite yet.

I had thought about doing this contest, tie it in with a visit to the in-laws. Glad they came here! :clap2:

Cue's Your Daddy
09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Its never KCBS fault. Just ask them.

Sauced!
09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
The organizers called Thursday am to say we had to wait until after fireworks to leave. Fortunately we were right by the entrance so once awards were done we packed up and left. No one said anything glad we didn't get stuck. We had power issues as well. Their idea of power is a daisy chain of power boxes with everyone sharing. That is after charging an extra 50 for campers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BKBBQ
09-03-2012, 06:01 PM
They couldn't judge ribs yet they were at my place asking me to id chicken.

bbqbrad
09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Listening to BBQ superstars radio show talking about it right now.

Wrench_H
09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
It seemed that the organizers were overwhelmed. We didn't know anything about giving away food to the public, so from about 11:30 until 1, we had to tell about 500 people that we didn't have any samples, and wouldn't until 1, and even then we wouldn't have much. I felt bad for the public as well since I'm sure we weren't the only ones that had to do this, and they had just paid $10 to get samples from all of the teams. We also got a spot close to the baseball parking lot, and just carried all of our stuff out of there as soon as turn-ins were over, and left right after awards. I really hate that this one wasn't better as it is by far the closest one to us.

U2CANQUE
09-04-2012, 04:22 AM
I will see how long it takes me to get my refund due to me pulling out after them calling me Thursday to let me know about the no leaving til after fireworks. The organizer had called me the previous week because I was not hiding my disgust in the contest from the previous year, and guaranteeing the same problems would not occur this year (having police come by as I am dipping my chicken in sauce, being threatened with arrest due to wanting to leave after awards, and then list goes on). What was I going to do, it was the closest contest to me this week, so I decided that with the organizer taking the time to get in touch with me personally that I would give it a try.......glad that I decided to pull out and drive an additional 4 hours each way to VA......I suspect that it will not be in existence again next year....but, then again, I have heard that before about this one....

PatAttack
09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow! Now I'm really glad we didn't cook this one! I will cross this one off the list unless organization is changed completely. Can't wait to hear the real story.

How do you lose a pork box? How do you drop a tray of chicken? Were these people (organizers, reps), doing all the drinking?

Pack-A-Smokes
09-04-2012, 02:36 PM
All I can say is WOW! Glad we didn't do this one.

Wampus
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
:jaw:

Market Hunter
09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
They couldn't judge ribs yet they were at my place asking me to id chicken.

Did the chicken in the other box spell out "Eat Mor Chikn"? If so, that was my box they had.

:grin:

You handled that better than me friend and you should be commended on that.

bbqczar
09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I REALLY feel that the rep's at this event should be suspended for a period of 3 years followed by a 1 year probation period :clap2:

Slamdunkpro
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I REALLY feel that the rep's at this event should be suspended for a period of 3 years followed by a 1 year probation period

:rofl:

No, but seriously;

:rofl:

sdbbq1234
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I REALLY feel that the rep's at this event should be suspended for a period of 3 years followed by a 1 year probation period :clap2:

Nicely said!!!! :clap:

wallace

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
sadly all we can do is joke about it. We all know that there will be zero penalties for any of the reps involved in this fiasco that cost several teams an honest shot at winning. I wonder what the rep was doing instead of properly handling turn ins? scanning the crowd for offensive t-shirts?

Ford
09-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Give the reps a break. It was probably a volunteer or table captain that dropped a tray. However there are rules for the reps to follow if I box or boxes are dropped and spill open. The meat is not put back in the box for judging. Hopefully the bod will discuss this problem and take appropriate actions.

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Give the reps a break. It was probably a volunteer or table captain that dropped a tray. However there are rules for the reps to follow if I box or boxes are dropped and spill open. The meat is not put back in the box for judging. Hopefully the bod will discuss this problem and take appropriate actions.

Did you listen to the bbq superstars radio clip from about the contests?

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 08:36 PM

also check out who was the rep. I really doubt the board does anything. which brings up the question, why are board members getting paid to rep contests?

drbbq
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I tried to find that audio but don't have a clue where it is. Anybody got a link?

Diva
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I tried to find it as well.

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/bbqsuperstars-blog-talk-radio/id407594496?mt=2

you can download the podcast there. Killer B's Jim Burg is the one you want.

You can skip to about 10 minutes in if you want. the first is just general stuff, bad power, bad water, issues with the organizers. 10 minutes is where the turn in box issues start getting.

Pit Master Fraz
09-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Who was the Rep in charge?

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 09:40 PM
2 chicken boxes with the same number. Had to go and ask the teams to ID their box just a few minutes before rib turn in.

Killer B's was told he didnt turn in a pork box, again it was numbered wrong.

No one was there to take rib boxes when the window opened. Boxes stacked on the turn in table for 15 minutes before heading back into the tent.

besides all the belly aching about power, water, and mud the issues for me seem to be that turn ins were poorly handled.

It's a long 2 hours of typical cook complaining, the KCBS stuff was right at the 10 minute mark and on.

DawgPhan
09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Who was the Rep in charge?

the kcbs website lists KCBS Reps: MICKY WILLIAMS, TANA SHUPE

huminie
09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a clusterfark. :shock:

Lake Dogs
09-05-2012, 06:41 AM
It seemed that the organizers were overwhelmed. We didn't know anything about giving away food to the public, so from about 11:30 until 1, we had to tell about 500 people that we didn't have any samples, and wouldn't until 1, and even then we wouldn't have much. I felt bad for the public as well since I'm sure we weren't the only ones that had to do this, and they had just paid $10 to get samples from all of the teams. We also got a spot close to the baseball parking lot, and just carried all of our stuff out of there as soon as turn-ins were over, and left right after awards. I really hate that this one wasn't better as it is by far the closest one to us.

Wait. Let me understand this. The organizer sold tickets to the crowd for $10 to "get samples from all the teams"? At a KCBS cookoff?

Were the teams informed? Were they required to cook extra? For that matter, were their reimbursements provided?

If not, I can't think of a BBQ cookoff where this would've worked. This is different from having the teams compete in a blind peoples choice and sell tickets to judge. This is more like a chili cookoff, and BBQ cookoffs ain't chili cookoffs!

I can imagine that as a crowd person I'd have been awefully mad if they'd sold me a $10 ticket and didn't get to "eat around".

Ford
09-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Box numbers. When the boxes are delivered the team needs to check to ensure all their boxes have the same number. Yes the reps messed up but the double check is the team. 2 mistakes don't make it right but sharing blame is appropriate here. I'd like to hear more on the missing pork box.

As far as giving way food I totally agree with lake dogs. I'm sure the bod will be discussing this contest at the September meeting probably in executive session. Sounds like many problems. I'd like to know how much the reps knew about giving way free food.

hogzgonewild
09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Box numbers. When the boxes are delivered the team needs to check to ensure all their boxes have the same number. Yes the reps messed up but the double check is the team. 2 mistakes don't make it right but sharing blame is appropriate here. I'd like to hear more on the missing pork box.

As far as giving way food I totally agree with lake dogs. I'm sure the bod will be discussing this contest at the September meeting probably in executive session. Sounds like many problems. I'd like to know how much the reps knew about giving way free food.

From Jim Burg's show, it sounds like in the chicken instance, one team was given a # early on friday, and then a late entry team came in at 10pm on friday night and was given the same # on their boxes.

In Jim's Pork box, the incorrect ALTERNATE number was placed on the box behind the turn in table by the Reps.

All and all, sounds like a mis-managed competition. It makes you appreciate the hard work that people like Jane Tomlin and Randall Bowman put into their competitions.

It also makes you appreciate great Reps like the Braziers and Polands who put their best effort into being Reps. I have no worries about our boxes hitting the same tables or mis numbering when they are the Reps.

Ford
09-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Sounds like the reps screwed up not once but twice. Hope we see bod action on it.

Wrench_H
09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Wait. Let me understand this. The organizer sold tickets to the crowd for $10 to "get samples from all the teams"? At a KCBS cookoff?

Were the teams informed? Were they required to cook extra? For that matter, were their reimbursements provided?

If not, I can't think of a BBQ cookoff where this would've worked. This is different from having the teams compete in a blind peoples choice and sell tickets to judge. This is more like a chili cookoff, and BBQ cookoffs ain't chili cookoffs!

I can imagine that as a crowd person I'd have been awefully mad if they'd sold me a $10 ticket and didn't get to "eat around".

I signed up late, so maybe there was some communication about this prior to me signing up, I don't know. All I know is that people started showing up about 11:30 looking for a sample of pork. About 12, shriners started showing up offering to help us hand out our samples. We told them we didn't have any and wouldn't have any until about 1. Evedently they gave out some butts to teams on Friday night to cook, but never got around to us. Since it was for charity and I had cooked extras, I gave out what we had, but it wasn't a lot.

I felt like this whole event was looked at by the organizer as a chance to make some money for charity, like a bake sale or golf tournament, and the organizers didn't really understand that cook teams take this serious regardless of the benefactor. It didn't seem like ill-intent, just lack of understanding of the size and importance to teams of the event they were running. All that said, I might speak differently if my number was given out twice or my boxes dropped.

Sledneck
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
S**t happens stop yer bitching

deguerre
09-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! This concludes the test of the Emergency Bullchit System.

Edit...there. That's better.

Wrench_H
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM

That added a lot to the conversation. If pointed at me, I wasn't bitching just answering a question asked in a prevoius post. I'm not exactly sure what would make you post on a subject that you aren't interested in. Move on if you don't want to read it.

bbqczar
09-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Well first it was Arlie Bragg in Mcminville screaming and cussing at a team(in front of kids,at a "family" event) and trying to stop them from leaving,now we have Tana with this cluster,WTF is up with BOD members being reps,organizers,or having anything to do with these comps ? I think,as have others,and maybe we are wrong here,but it sure seems that BOD members shoudn't be repping events,nor promoting or organizing while on the BOD,sure seems like a conflict of interest in several ways.

Lake Dogs
09-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I signed up late, so maybe there was some communication about this prior to me signing up, I don't know. All I know is that people started showing up about 11:30 looking for a sample of pork. About 12, shriners started showing up offering to help us hand out our samples. We told them we didn't have any and wouldn't have any until about 1. Evedently they gave out some butts to teams on Friday night to cook, but never got around to us. Since it was for charity and I had cooked extras, I gave out what we had, but it wasn't a lot.

I felt like this whole event was looked at by the organizer as a chance to make some money for charity, like a bake sale or golf tournament, and the organizers didn't really understand that cook teams take this serious regardless of the benefactor. It didn't seem like ill-intent, just lack of understanding of the size and importance to teams of the event they were running. All that said, I might speak differently if my number was given out twice or my boxes dropped.

That's a shame, and probably did come to pass as you described. I used to counsel organizers, both of chili cookoffs and bbq cookoffs, and one of the big key points was one that you made, and that's regardless of the beneficiary that teams are here to compete, and compete they will, and they take it darned serious. If you want them back, then you'll treat the cookoff seriously and show them respect by adhering to the rules and enforce them. It almost sounds like this was a great group of guys who thought it was more of a backyard group of folks gathering around having fun to raise money and didnt understand what having a sanctioned cookoff means (even though they seem of have had some history with KCBS).

For many reasons I stopped playing in to the Peoples Choice type of thing many years ago, unless it's completely blind. Unless it's chili, then the turn-in is so fast & easy that you might as well have fun and hand out chili... What the hell. It's not like you have 20 minutes to get the next box of meat put together and on the walkway, and then another, and another...

Grizmt
09-05-2012, 11:54 AM

I've been lurking and reading on here for a while now and just have to add a couple of comments here. There are events where tickets are sold specifically so the people get samples, at least here in AZ. Most times it works ok but the teams are well aware what's needed ahead of time. The last couple the promoters asked the teams if they'd be coming in heavy and give an estimate on how heavy so they could avoid running out of food too early (learning from their missteps in the past) and keep the public happy.

As for what appears to be a real cluster at this event, I've been in the tent usually as a TC doing double duty. I certainly don't fault the reps for dropping a tray nor do I fault the person who dropped it. People make mistakes, greasy hands,unstable surface to set the tray on or bumping into another person happens. Where the reps are totally and thoroughly responsible is losing an entry, having entries with the same number and not accepting entries at the posted times.
The big question is how do you discipline a rep that's also a BOD member? Better yet, why is a BOD member allowed to be an independent contractor (or promotor/organizer for that matter) for an organization that they are in control of? I'm sure y'all are aware that reps are independent contractors right? I don't know the answer to the following question so if anyone knows please tell me if there's any other business that'd allow this kind of "relationship" to occur?
It would seem to me that it needs to be remembered that these reps and organization are regularly in control of thousands of dollars that don't belong to them and what they do could negatively impact others. Most do a fine job but it seems to me that incidents like this seem to be happening with more frequency lately.
Hopefully it'll all get sorted out for the good of KCBS and competitors.

dosvans
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
now we have Tana with this cluster,WTF is up with BOD members being reps,organizers,or having anything to do with these comps ? I think,as have others,and maybe we are wrong here,but it sure seems that BOD members shoudn't be repping events,nor promoting or organizing while on the BOD,sure seems like a conflict of interest in several ways.

I'm not sure what happened in this instance, but Tana Shupe reps a lot of events around my area and she always does an excellent job. I really don't see why there would be an issue with a BOD member repping an event. We all have bad days, and maybe in this case it was just one of those days. I'm sure the BODs will discuss this in great length and figure out a process that will help eliminate this kind of thing happening again. This doesn't seem to be a common occurance, so how about cutting the Reps a little slack!!

sitnfat
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
So if a box is dropped in the judging tent it can't be judged correct? If that is the case is the team notified and allowed some extra time to build a second box? I hope it never happens to me but I would be madder than a wet hen if I got 2 calls then get my score sheet and last on a meat cause someone else messed my stuff up.

jrbBBQ
09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
So if a box is dropped in the judging tent it can't be judged correct? If that is the case is the team notified and allowed some extra time to build a second box? I hope it never happens to me but I would be madder than a wet hen if I got 2 calls then get my score sheet and last on a meat cause someone else messed my stuff up.
I was told by a rep at a contest earlier this year that if a box is dropped, you automatically get the the same score as the Highest scoring entry at that table. The subject came up because the tray were being wheeled down a ramp and long hallway to the judges and a few teams expressed concern about the location of turn-ins.

sitnfat
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
That works until that score is the 1st-2nd and a computer decides which wins then it's possible a dropped box cost the other team a few hundred bucks or more

Ford
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I was told by a rep at a contest earlier this year that if a box is dropped, you automatically get the the same score as the Highest scoring entry at that table. The subject came up because the tray were being wheeled down a ramp and long hallway to the judges and a few teams expressed concern about the location of turn-ins.

That is my understanding of the current KCBS policy. In this case the boxes wre not dropped as somebody posted. 2 teams were assigned the same box number. Clearly an error by the reps.

Lake Dogs
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I've been lurking and reading on here for a while now and just have to add a couple of comments here. There are events where tickets are sold specifically so the people get samples, at least here in AZ. Most times it works ok but the teams are well aware what's needed ahead of time. The last couple the promoters asked the teams if they'd be coming in heavy and give an estimate on how heavy so they could avoid running out of food too early (learning from their missteps in the past) and keep the public happy.

This approach works great in chili cookoffs. BBQ... mixed results, mainly because of the $$$ of the meats involved, timings of multiple turn-ins (OMG if one of the sanctioning bodies that has finals), and frankly the volume of meat needed to cook. Usually, like in a Peoples Choice that aren't blind (like you're describing above), the winner is the local team that brought out the crowd, OR it's the folks with the most meat to provide and they literally out-last everyone else. I've probably competed in 150 of these and witnessed another 100, with only 1 or 2 exceptions they all went this way. For me, as a competitor, I only do blind for these.

But, in this case, the organizer really messed up by having the crowd go to competitors camps during competition turn-in. That's just asking for trouble! Then, $10 per person sets a bit of an expectation, one that is going to be HARD to live up to. MUCH better are those (as in done at Deep Roots Festival) where they provide the meat to the teams, and the teams turn it in, and are judged blind by the crowd who pays (usually it's about $5/plate) to sample the Q and to vote for their favorite on their plate. Last few years they sold out, even at 2 butts per team, in less than 30 minutes. It was SNARFED UP by a huge crowd...

Still Smokin
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I know the organizer group (good charity, one we all like), but they have become greedy. This was a dual sanctioned event, KCBS & Southern BBQ Network (SBN). The rep from the charity was instrumental in forming the SBN, because they did not want to pay higher fees the SC BBQ Assoc. (great group by the way) charges.

I competed last year (got 2nd in Pork in both divisions, 6th in Chicken 8th in Brisket). The business model for SBN is low entry fee, and they provide 8 butts, the trade off is that you use the 8 butts to feed the public. The problem you have is that not all teams participated in the SBN portion (butts & ribs only) and the general public did not know which teams were giving out the samples.

I am glad I did not go this year. Most were not happy with the fact that load out could take place until 9 or 10 PM. We had a camper last year and spent the night, so we were OK with that. This organizer did not make that clear last year, but I knew from speaking with someone else, but that is one of the reasons I did not go back this year.

Stoke&Smoke
09-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I know the organizer group (good charity, one we all like), but they have become greedy. This was a dual sanctioned event, KCBS & Southern BBQ Network (SBN). The rep from the charity was instrumental in forming the SBN, because they did not want to pay higher fees the SC BBQ Assoc. (great group by the way) charges.

I competed last year (got 2nd in Pork in both divisions, 6th in Chicken 8th in Brisket). The business model for SBN is low entry fee, and they provide 8 butts, the trade off is that you use the 8 butts to feed the public. The problem you have is that not all teams participated in the SBN portion (butts & ribs only) and the general public did not know which teams were giving out the samples.

I am glad I did not go this year. Most were not happy with the fact that load out could take place until 9 or 10 PM. We had a camper last year and spent the night, so we were OK with that. This organizer did not make that clear last year, but I knew from speaking with someone else, but that is one of the reasons I did not go back this year.

Normally a peoples choice deal like that is taken care of simply enough by giving those participating some kind of marker, a balloon, penant, flag, something to hang out, so that the crowd can tell who is participating.

I would be pretty irritated if folks kept walking into my site during turn-in's looking for food if I wasn't a participant in the "people's choice". That one seems to be squarely the organizers screw up!

Sounds like we'll be hearing about this one for a while! I don't know either of the reps, and don't have a personal axe to grind at all, but having some folks from the BOD just recently say something to the effect that the membership was complaining penalties were not severe enough, and "setting an example" with the latest incident before this, it seems they have set a slippery slope for themselves if they now have to vote on how to handle this incident. And as others have pointed out, since the affected persons are part of the BOD, how does the vote work? Seems like it needs to be addressed somehow, lest it be perceived as being "swept under the rug"?

We're hoping to maybe do a few more comps next year, and maybe spread out to a state we haven't been, but it sounds like this one is one to avoid! Sounds like a mess all the way around:tsk:

bbqczar
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote,

Sounds like we'll be hearing about this one for a while! I don't know either of the reps, and don't have a personal axe to grind at all, but having some folks from the BOD just recently say something to the effect that the membership was complaining penalties were not severe enough, and "setting an example" with the latest incident before this, it seems they have set a slippery slope for themselves if they now have to vote on how to handle this incident. And as others have pointed out, since the affected persons are part of the BOD, how does the vote work? Seems like it needs to be addressed somehow, lest it be perceived as being "swept under the rug"?

Well you can bet it will be,"swept under the rug",nothing will happen at all,and after some other reps were put on notice this year,but some BOD reps are far worse it seems,makes one wonder what is going on.

wmaes47
09-05-2012, 06:38 PM

This is from the Reps Advisory 2010:

"
Opinion: If an entry is dropped before being judged for Appearance all the judges are to give the entry the highest score on that table on APPEARANCE.

Generally, not every piece of meat hits the floor. Try and salvage any meat that may not have been contaminated. Divide the meat into as many pieces as necessary, so all the judges can get a sample.

If the entry is dropped while the judges are passing the entry around the table, you may be able to get enough of the entry from one of the judges, who had already taken a sample. If you have a judge who refuses to sample the dropped product, ask for a volunteer from one of the other tables.

As a last resort, give the entry the highest score on taste and tenderness, of all the other entries, for that category, at that table.

If all six entries are dropped and no meat is salvageable from any container; then each entry shall be given a score equal to the highest score given for that category, at that contest.

Be sure to turn the Judges Slip over and explain what you did and why. February 17, 2006"

Smoke'n Ice
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
I am somewhat confused about all that went on. I see that some are saying the organizger is solely responsible for the cluster with pc sampling and the time of departure. In the area that we complete, the KCBS reps work with the organizer up front and weeks before the actual contest to insure that these things do not happen. I know that there are rep advisories and actual training in this area of their responsibility. Some of the other items, wrong box number, two boxes with the same number, not there to accept turnins, leads one to believe that this particular rep team, and possible others, should be placed in the rep-in-training program until they can prove their competence and understanding of the rules and what it is all about.

This actually is far worse than wearing an inappropriate apron which did not cost teams any money other than the fine.

Not only did it cost the teams money, it will affect the future of this contest.

Grizmt
09-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Well said. It's certainly sad when greed rears it's head and takes over if in fact that's what happened.
Unfortunately I and others can say from first hand experience that it will end up destroying that event and taint any others they try to put on in the future. I've noticed it doesn't take a whole lot of shenanigans to turn away teams from events (rightly so) and most times their memories are loooooong.

As for samples vs PC, personally to me it's all just semantics since I've not seen a truly blind one here in AZ yet. To me, it's just another vehicle to get money from the teams over and above the entry fees, larger site fees,power fees (if charged) etc since any money collected is split 50/50 with the teams who also foot the bill for everything needed to produce/serve it along with the labor.
The 50% collected from the teams are then "donated" by the promoter/organizer to whatever charity they/the event have chosen, at least that's how it works here in the majority of cases.
Personally, I'd love to see the organizer or whomever collects all the entry/upgrade fees match whatever the "take" is from the teams PC/Sample sales and donate that so the "giving" is shared by all.

U2CANQUE
09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Still no response regarding my refund.....e-mail sent, calls made, next to KCBS......this event needs not be sanctioned by KCBS imo......

BKBBQ
09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I have to say we did sign up late for this event but were on site at cooks meeting.the other team was not at cooks meeting and got there after ten pm.he is a good friend of mine but I believe if you can't make the cooks meeting you should not be allowed to compete. It was 1223 when I was asked to id my box I was more disappointed in my chicken not being judged yet more than anything. And of course it was a huge distraction while slicing ribs. I don't believe my chicken was judged properly at all. When we got results back we tied for chicken.I guess I will move on to the next comp in union sc this weekend I have fun hanging with my brothers but I believe the box situation could've been handled differently.I wish they would've just flipped a coin to see who's is who's because it did affect me mentally for the rest of turn ins. Or maybe I should've had more beer.

Grizmt
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
I have to say we did sign up late for this event but were on site at cooks meeting.the other team was not at cooks meeting and got there after ten pm.he is a good friend of mine but I believe if you can't make the cooks meeting you should not be allowed to compete. It was 1223 when I was asked to id my box I was more disappointed in my chicken not being judged yet more than anything. And of course it was a huge distraction while slicing ribs. I don't believe my chicken was judged properly at all. When we got results back we tied for chicken.I guess I will move on to the next comp in union sc this weekend I have fun hanging with my brothers but I believe the box situation could've been handled differently.I wish they would've just flipped a coin to see who's is who's because it did affect me mentally for the rest of turn ins. Or maybe I should've had more beer.

I'm sorry you had to go through the whole mess, as a judge I hate hearing of things like this happening, there's enough hurdles for everyone to clear without things like this added in.
All you can do is move on to the next one (beer and event:becky:) but I"d bet now you know what event you're not doing again.
My guess is if they had flipped a coin it would've rolled away and been "lost" before they had a chance to see what side was up!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Mr Goodtimes BBQ Club
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I am not pointing fingers at anyone but somewhere along the way there was a major break down in communication. They came around and asked if we could cook anymore butts and they told me that if we couldnt chop the meat just take it to the shriner tent and they would chop it. So since it was for a good cause and I had my large cooker I took 16 butts prepped and cooked them.(dont regret because it was for a great charity) but then people started showing up at our tent asking for samples while I was prepping our box's. One of our members checked and they said that we had to chop the bbq and serve it to the public. Lucky for us or them I had several friends that came down for the day and didnt mind chopping 16 butts so I could focus on our competition. They did finally send someone over to help give out samples. I must say it did add a lot of extra stress in the tent. There were other issues that are not worth mentioning. We still were able to pull out a 1st pork in SBN and 6th Brisket KCBS

Diva
09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
The cooks meeting is not mandatory.

Pigs on Fire
09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
The cooks meeting is not mandatory.

It may or may not be, but at most competitions it is listed in the schedule of events as "mandatory", at least down here.

I suppose that is so that if you do not attend and you miss something that causes you to be DAL in every category or some other tragic event, the organizer (and probably the Rep) can ask "were you at the cook's meeting?"...

CYA...

Diva
09-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I understand where you're coming from. That also makes me cringe....if you're cooking a KCBS contest, everything should be the "same" no matter where you're cooking. If a KCBS cooks meeting is/n't mandatory, then, EVERY KCBS cooks meeting should/n't be mandatory.

This whole situation in Myrtle Beach is a mess. Box acceptance, number changing, box "losing", etc. is the ABSOLUTE responsibility of the Contest Reps.

crd26a
09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
is the ABSOLUTE responsibility of the Contest Reps.

Agreed, but will we even see anything done about it given a Rep is a Board Member? It "might" be handled in Executive Session and if any penalties, we will probably at least hear those. But little has been done to date.

How something seriously impacted a contest in how it was ran and impacted the competing teams does not merit a special session yet an inappropriate apron requires a 3 hour special Exec session is beyond me. I get the need to "protect" the public, but what about the cooks, when this behavior directly impacts the main body the KCBS was designed to assist.

Diva
09-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I used to be a Contest Representative. I know the hustle and bustle of the judging area. I know the responsibility of the job. I had repped contetsts that were anywhere from 10-80+ teams. One of the Reps at Myrtle Beach used to be the CONTEST ORGANIZER for Jack Daniels!!! I guess thats why this whole thing just blows my mind.

I know that in the South there are Turn In Table people, and as I recall, they usually wear these "cute" little pins that read T.I.T.S. (why no one has found THAT to be offensive, yet, I don't understand {tongue in cheek}). I believe that some southern Reps get so much "help" from other people that when they get to an "unorganized" contest, and that help is nowhere to be found....some reps can't handle it.

If they saw that the tables were inadequate, they should have said something Friday to the organizers so it could be changed. If they didn't have all the help they needed, then, they should have come up with a plan and taken care of their business! My rule of thumb, when repping....stand there with your Rep partner while the boxes are being accepted and change the numbers yourself. When all the boxes are in, roam the room to make sure things are being done according to the rules. When the first table is done judging and the cards are in, one Rep goes to enter them and the other Rep roams the room until all of the cards are given to the rep keying the cards and then you start all over again.

This can be done for just about every contest except the American Royal and the Lenexa BBQ Battle (LOTSA teams!) and probably others that I'm not familiar with.

Wienie Apron vs TOTALLY dropping the ball.....it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Grizmt
09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I used to be a Contest Representative. I know the hustle and bustle of the judging area. I know the responsibility of the job. I had repped contetsts that were anywhere from 10-80+ teams. One of the Reps at Myrtle Beach used to be the CONTEST ORGANIZER for Jack Daniels!!! I guess thats why this whole thing just blows my mind.

I know that in the South there are Turn In Table people, and as I recall, they usually wear these "cute" little pins that read T.I.T.S. (why no one has found THAT to be offensive, yet, I don't understand {tongue in cheek}). I believe that some southern Reps get so much "help" from other people that when they get to an "unorganized" contest, and that help is nowhere to be found....some reps can't handle it.

If they saw that the tables were inadequate, they should have said something Friday to the organizers so it could be changed. If they didn't have all the help they needed, then, they should have come up with a plan and taken care of their business! My rule of thumb, when repping....stand there with your Rep partner while the boxes are being accepted and change the numbers yourself. When all the boxes are in, roam the room to make sure things are being done according to the rules. When the first table is done judging and the cards are in, one Rep goes to enter them and the other Rep roams the room until all of the cards are given to the rep keying the cards and then you start all over again.

This can be done for just about every contest except the American Royal and the Lenexa BBQ Battle (LOTSA teams!) and probably others that I'm not familiar with.

Wienie Apron vs TOTALLY dropping the ball.....it will be interesting to see how this pans out.
One mistake cost people embarrassment, the other cost people money and possibly draws to the Jack and a Royal invite.

I've been at events where volunteers were tight at the beginning. People were sent out into the event to find some bodies to help out stacking boxes or other things to free up other people to handle the turn ins. Worst case some teams would send family members to help out doing things which (I would think) should be fine as long as they're not in contact with the entries to be judged.
Generally though people would volunteer readily once they found out they got to taste a bunch of BBQ.

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
'if everyone thought before they spoke the silence would be deafening'. I believe that we should give the benefit of doubt to the BOD on this issue and believe that they will make an equitable and just decision sometime in the future, maybe even in our lifetime. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/playful/cute-smiley-tongue-in-cheek-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/cute.smiley.tongue.cheek-emoticon-2843.html)

drbbq
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't know Mack, that particular board member is pretty untouchable. I say she gets a stern warning.

Smoke'n Ice
09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Beauty (and justice) are in the eyes of the beholder.

Grizmt
09-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't know Mack, that particular board member is pretty untouchable. I say she gets a stern warning.

And sent to her room without desert?:heh:

Diva
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
One mistake cost people embarrassment, the other cost people money and possibly draws to the Jack and a Royal invite.

I've been at events where volunteers were tight at the beginning. People were sent out into the event to find some bodies to help out stacking boxes or other things to free up other people to handle the turn ins. Worst case some teams would send family members to help out doing things which (I would think) should be fine as long as they're not in contact with the entries to be judged.
Generally though people would volunteer readily once they found out they got to taste a bunch of BBQ.

I appreciate your point of view. It was a 35 team contest. They should be able to handle that on their own.

Tarheel
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Well the other one just came off of some sort of a probation period due to a problem in tryon a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Grizmt
09-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I appreciate your point of view. It was a 35 team contest. They should be able to handle that on their own.

One would think so.
I was unaware it was that small, from reading all that happened it sounded like it was double or triple in size.
Wow, just wow.

rocksbarbque
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I had been waiting and waiting and then wow what restraint... Have you gone soft since you got hitched? I am gonna go read some old bigorangesmoker threads lol

drbbq
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
I had been waiting and waiting and then wow what restraint... Have you gone soft since you got hitched? I am gonna go read some old bigorangesmoker threads lol

I'm just getting old John :)

Cue's Your Daddy
09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm just getting old John :)

After couple years of marriage, the grumpyness comes back.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I wasn't there so I can't say much other than what I have read here, and make my own opinions like everyone else.

It does sound like a finger has to be pointed to more than one person or group of people.

I agree something needs to be done...

Now here is where it "burns" me. I inquired abt being a rep. I was told there is no need for any more reps in this area at all as there are too many. So, why does a BOD member have to be a rep at contests? I was at one in June and had BOD members as reps.... IF BOD has to be reps, then why do we not need more reps in the area? Seems like someone, or more than one does NOT know what is going on nor what is needed. The way I see it, more reps are needed, and if there is too many, then there would be less in the area that they would have to be used for.... give them a little R&R....

And I also have a hard time seeing why two different governing bodies are doing the same contest... seems like too confusing to me for the teams, organizers, and reps, as to who is doing what and when.... especially when turn ins, etc overlap or are at the same time.

My $0.02 worth... take it for what it is worth and I am going back to my corner now....

YankeeBBQ
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
IF BOD has to be reps, then why do we not need more reps in the area? Seems like someone, or more than one does NOT know what is going on nor what is needed. The way I see it, more reps are needed, and if there is too many, then there would be less in the area that they would have to be used for.... give them a little R&R....

I think what people sometimes forget is being on the BOD is an unpaid volunteer position. If I wasn't allowed to compete because I'm on the BOD then I never would have run for the position. I believe the reps that are on the board probably feel the same way. If we pass a rule that BOD members can't compete, Rep, judge or instruct classes then who will be left to fill the positions ?

Smoke'n Ice
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree with Steve, reps and cooks should be involved even while on the board. The only issue becomes, is there a double standard when it comes to enforcment of the rules and directives?

I, as a "Dues paying member" of KCBS would hope not, but the action, or lack of action, is leading one to believe that to be the case. This issue cost teams money, cost the organizer teams, and has the potential of actually ending an event for the future due to lack of participation. We all await with bated breath the action (if any) that may be forthcoming. It may even have a bearing on whether I renew my membership or not.

Rich Parker
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I think what people sometimes forget is being on the BOD is an unpaid volunteer position. If I wasn't allowed to compete because I'm on the BOD then I never would have run for the position. I believe the reps that are on the board probably feel the same way. If we pass a rule that BOD members can't compete, Rep, judge or instruct classes then who will be left to fill the positions ?

Do BoD members that are reps and cbj instructors abstain from decisions that could effect their pay check? Such as how many reps in an area or cbj instructors.

There is a big difference between someone being paid e.g. rep or cbj instructor then a cook or judge who just pay in.

YankeeBBQ
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree with Steve, reps and cooks should be involved even while on the board. The only issue becomes, is there a double standard when it comes to enforcment of the rules and directives?

I, as a "Dues paying member" of KCBS would hope not, but the action, or lack of action, is leading one to believe that to be the case. This issue cost teams money, cost the organizer teams, and has the potential of actually ending an event for the future due to lack of participation. We all await with bated breath the action (if any) that may be forthcoming. It may even have a bearing on whether I renew my membership or not.

The reason there was a special meeting called about McMinnvilee is because it occurred after the monthly meeting. The board thought it was important enough to address right away and not wait a month for the meeting. The Myrtle beach contest happened last weekend and the board will be meeting this Wednesday so a little more than a weeks time has lapsed. I don't see a double standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As far as what if any action will take place regarding the current issue, I can't say I'm not psychic. I can assure you the Myrtle Beach contest will be discussed.

YankeeBBQ
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Do BoD members that are reps and cbj instructors abstain from decisions that could effect their pay check? Such as how many reps in an area or cbj instructors.

There is a big difference between someone being paid e.g. rep or cbj instructor then a cook or judge who just pay in.

The reps committee and judging committee make recommendations to the board on where reps and cbj instructors are needed. Board members abstain from votes on any situation that would directly effect them. I know we voted to publish all members of committees on the website but I just looked and don't see it. I will bring that up to the board.

bigsapper
09-09-2012, 08:32 PM
What are the paid positions within KCBS?
BOD
Organizer
Rep
Judge
Table captain
Contestant
???

YankeeBBQ
09-09-2012, 08:40 PM
What are the paid positions within KCBS?
BOD
Organizer
Rep
Judge
Table captain
Contestant
???
BOD unpaid
Organizer: Depends on the contest
Rep: Paid
Judge: unpaid (unless you count free food)
Office staff: paid
Executive Director: paid
Table captain:unpaid (and no guarantee you will get food)
contestant:paid if you win or if you receive a free entry because your a tv star otherwise unpaid and a losing proposition.

rocksbarbque
09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
BOD unpaid
contestant:paid if you win or if you receive a free entry because your a tv star otherwise unpaid and a losing proposition.

Thanks for keeping us informed Steve.

nthole
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Ha, thanks Steve. I like the spin on that :wink:. So I'm apparently one of the idiots constantly chasing the losing proposition! :becky:

bbqczar
09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
I still say,as do others there is a direct conflict of interest with BOD members being reps at contests and or being contest organizers.I know some don't want to believe it,but it isn't that hard to see and understand why it is a conflict. I would think the proper thing to do would be to have enough rep's trained so BOD members wouldn't have to rep contest's.I think BOD menmbers can and should teach the classes,just not rep or organize any until off the board,alot of others feel the same whether they say or not.

DawgPhan
09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I still say,as do others there is a direct conflict of interest with BOD members being reps at contests and or being contest organizers.I know some don't want to believe it,but it isn't that hard to see and understand why it is a conflict. I would think the proper thing to do would be to have enough rep's trained so BOD members wouldn't have to rep contest's.I think BOD menmbers can and should teach the classes,just not rep or organize any until off the board,alot of others feel the same whether they say or not.

there aren't a lot of large successful non-profits who consistently hire their board members as consultants. The conflicts are obvious. Board members should have a financial obligation to the organization, not the other way around.

Grizmt
09-10-2012, 09:18 PM
BOD unpaid
I understand that being a member of the BOD is an unpaid position and many times thankless to boot. The thing I've been wondering for quite some time is while the position in and of itself is unpaid aren't there other ways the BOD make some money along the way? What about the perks? I'd think travel,hotels,expense accounts and???
Also, while the BOD are not paid for doing "regular" business like BOD meetings do they get a wage or compensation if they are out of town like meeting with sponsors,being at events (not as reps per say) to watch things etc?
Just wondering....

Rookie'48
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
I understand that being a member of the BOD is an unpaid position and many times thankless to boot. The thing I've been wondering for quite some time is while the position in and of itself is unpaid aren't there other ways the BOD make some money along the way? I'm not aware of any other than teaching a class (if qualified to do so) or being a Rep. What about the perks? I'd think travel,hotels,expense accounts and??? We're reimbursed for expenses for the two required in-person meetings - the annual Banquet in January and the February Strategic Planning meeting.
Also, while the BOD are not paid for doing "regular" business like BOD meetings do they get a wage or compensation if they are out of town like meeting with sponsors,being at events (not as reps per say) to watch things etc? Again, not that I'm aware of.
Just wondering....

Okay, here's my answers above in blue letters. As far as I know no one is going to make money by being a Board member - it really is a matter of spending a lot of time doing Board duties rather than using that time to make money. If some one is looking for a high paying gig they might check out Wally World :becky:.

DawgPhan
09-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Do people think that serving on a non-profit board is a means of enriching yourself financially? If so, I think that says just about all that needs to be said.

Serving on a board means that you are there to serve. You are there to give of your talent, time, and treasure.

chrisnjenn
09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Do people think that serving on a non-profit board is a means of enriching yourself financially? If so, I think that says just about all that needs to be said.

Serving on a board means that you are there to serve. You are there to give of your talent, time, and treasure.

mmmmmm. Lets not forget the board are elected by the members of the KCBS. They are elected like any politician. They also choose from their own free will to run. I hope people who run for the board or any office for that matter do it with the right intentions and not for selfish ones.

There are fringe benefits to any elected position that we don't see nor will we.

Some say it is a thankless job. I serve on a couple of nonprofit boards and I don't need to be thanked. I do it because I want to. Makes me feel good. Many do it for attention, power, makes them feel important, etc.. Whatever motive they have, no one forced them to do it. If they don't like it., then quit. There will be plenty who will gladly take their place.

How someone votes tells me more than any words they say/type.

CBQ
09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
[What] about the perks? I'd think travel,hotels,expense accounts and???

Having talked to the reps about the kinds of hotels they stay in and the meal comps they get, I think calling it a "perk" is a bit of a stretch. I would imagine the BOD travel policy is not all that lavish either. People are giving their time here, not getting rich off this. Most of the reps and BOD members I know are doing it because they care about BBQ.

YankeeBBQ
09-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I understand that being a member of the BOD is an unpaid position and many times thankless to boot. The thing I've been wondering for quite some time is while the position in and of itself is unpaid aren't there other ways the BOD make some money along the way? What about the perks? I'd think travel,hotels,expense accounts and???
Also, while the BOD are not paid for doing "regular" business like BOD meetings do they get a wage or compensation if they are out of town like meeting with sponsors,being at events (not as reps per say) to watch things etc?
Just wondering....

BOD members are reimbursed expenses if they are traveling on KCBS business but those trips are few and far between. There is no wage compensation that I'm aware of. There are also no expense accounts, BOD members have to front the money and then get reimbursed.

bbqczar
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
And now some of the winners checks have had stops put on them,dang this contest just gets better and better !

Fat Freddy
09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
And now some of the winners checks have had stops put on them,dang this contest just gets better and better !

WHAT??? Your kidding right?

I know both Dave and Steve have said something in this thread but this is truly starting to sound like a bigger mess than both North Platte contest and the Apron issue contest. Not saying reps are or are not responsible just in general this is starting to sound like a big thing that I sure hope to hear responses after their meeting

PatAttack
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
This comp has truly become a Fustercluck!!!!

I know I will never enter a comp that these organizers have anything to do with!

Fat Freddy
09-11-2012, 11:29 AM
No slamming of anyone here, but I truly hope the BOD gets all the facts and IF only IF there is a shred of truth to much of this, to protect the integrity of the KCBS they come down hard. If not I could easily see someone saying as PatAttack did that they will never do a contest with these organizers, others may say they will never do a contest with these reps, others still will never do a contest with this sanctioning body(KCBS).

As a KCBS member I am concerned, however I will hold off judgement until the people I elected to represent me in the BOD has the facts and makes a decision, but I will now be waiting to hear the decision whereas before i may not have even payed attention.

Grizmt
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Okay, here's my answers above in blue letters. As far as I know no one is going to make money by being a Board member - it really is a matter of spending a lot of time doing Board duties rather than using that time to make money. If some one is looking for a high paying gig they might check out Wally World :becky:.

Thank you for answering quickly and honestly. I'd bet the benefits at wally world are better as well.:becky:

Grizmt
09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
BOD members are reimbursed expenses if they are traveling on KCBS business but those trips are few and far between. There is no wage compensation that I'm aware of. There are also no expense accounts, BOD members have to front the money and then get reimbursed.
Thank you for answering quickly and honestly. I hope y'all know there was no ill intent or idea to cast aspersions on the BOD members. When I saw the question about positions asked and answered it just reminded me of what I've wondered for a while.
Thanks again!

Wrench_H
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM

That sucks. I'm taking mine to the bank now and will let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: The bank took mine, but it was a small one :)

Pickin' Porkers
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
It is true.....with all the problems in the previous posts on this thread....they actually put stop payments on two checks given to us as winnings. There is another thread on the BBQ Brethern about it.

Diva
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Have you called them and asked why they stopped payment?

Pickin' Porkers
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Have you called them and asked why they stopped payment?

Yes.....the dude had no idea....and said he'd look into it. This is addressed on another thread regarding Myrtle Beach.

BMerrill
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
It is a common known fact that the 2 reps for this contest are not the most respected. With all of the problems at rhis contest, KCBS will have to do something to save face and to maintain integery of the origination.. Without integery you have nothing. I was there and 90% of what is posted here is truth with our experiences similar to others.

Please go to the KCBS website and fill out a comment sheet about the contest to voice your opinion. There are questions about things not discussed here that the reps or the contest should have done. Please tell your fellow cook teams that do not frequent the boards to do the same.

Pickin' Porkers
09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
One thing that people seem to have forgotten regarding the Reps. The problems were identified and corrected. THAT alone is the purpose of the Reps. The fact that SOME screw ups may have happened is understandable...crap happens, but I am glad the Reps corrected everything. Having every single contest go without flaws is a wonderful goal but sometimes, things just do not go as planned!

Slamdunkpro
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
One thing that people seem to have forgotten regarding the Reps. The problems were identified and corrected. THAT alone is the purpose of the Reps. The fact that SOME screw ups may have happened is understandable...crap happens, but I am glad the Reps corrected everything. Having every single contest go without flaws is a wonderful goal but sometimes, things just do not go as planned!

I have a tough time giving the reps any kind of credit for fixing issues that they themselves created.