PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Jack Draw Results Thread

dmprantz
08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm going to be leaving for Lynchburg in a few minutes, and I wanted to start a thread where I can post results if I'm able. If I get there and it looks possible, I'll post a confirmation, and then just the results one at a time. If it gets to be 13:30 and there's nothing more from me in this thread, I think it'll be safe to presume that I couldn't do it. While I'll be reporting exactly what I see and hear, please keep in mind that whatever I post is not official, and you'll need to wait for BF / KCBS to post an official list.

Also, as a favour, I ask that you keep all congratulations and lamentations be made in a different thread, at least until the draw is finished. That will make it easier for me to keep track of what I've posted, and I think will make it easier for those wanting to scan the results. Thanks, and good luck to all!

dmp

YankeeBBQ
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
AL Smokin' on The Roof
AR Caveman Cuisine
AZ Toys 4 BBQ'N
CA Too Ashamed To Name BBQ
CO Flyboy BBQ
FL IAB 30 BBQ
GA Jack's Old South
IA Meadow Valley BBQ
IL Brew-B-Q
IN Getta Que
KS Parrothead Smokers
KY Blue Chip BBQ
LA Big Bear BBQ
MD Deguello BBQ
MI Bavarian Smoke BBQ
MN A Boy & His BBQ
MO Political Pork
MS Killer Hogs
NC Pelletheads.com
NE Smokey Bears BBQ
NJ Three Men & A Baby Back
NV Smoke on Wheels
NY Buffalo Meatheads
OH Steel Smokin' BBQ
OK Little Pig Town
PA The BBQ Guru
SD Swine Assassins
TN Swiggin' Pig
TX BrotherHood BBQ
UT Rhythm 'N Que
VA Tarheel Smokers
WI Bringin' The Heat
WY QUAU

HOME STATE
AR Hog Tide Bar-B-Que
DE Finn's Finest BBQ
FL Git-R-Smoked BBQ
MD Pigs in Blankets
ND Spitfire
NE Phat Jacks
NM TheSmokeRing.com
NV Sin City Smokers
UT R&R BBQ II

WILD CARD Ten Pinos Cooking Team

Pelkster
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
"The results are under review..." Damn replacement refs thought it was a 90 hour rule instead of 90 seconds.

Kit R
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
sure is nice having an auto this year. i would have been crazy by now.

That is what we have 21st Amendment Hop Crisis and JD Single Barrel for.

sweetracks
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Congrats all!

Sledneck
08-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Congrats to all who got in

Candy Sue
08-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Finally...

CONTEST
STATE

TEAM NAME

AL Smokin' on The Roof
AR Caveman Cuisine
AZ Toys 4 BBQ'N

CA Too Ashamed To Name BBQ

CO Flyboy BBQ

FL IAB 30 BBQ

GA Jack's Old South

IA Meadow Valley BBQ

IL Brew-B-Q

IN Getta Que

KS Parrothead Smokers

KY Blue Chip BBQ

LA Big Bear BBQ

MD Deguello BBQ

MI Bavarian Smoke BBQ

MN A Boy & His BBQ

MO Political Pork

MS Killer Hogs

NC Pelletheads.com

NE Smokey Bears BBQ

NJ Three Men & A Baby Back

NV Smoke on Wheels

NY Buffalo Meatheads

OH Steel Smokin' BBQ

OK Little Pig Town

PA The BBQ Guru

SD Swine Assassins

TN Swiggin' Pig

TX BrotherHood BBQ

UT Rhythm 'N Que

VA Tarheel Smokers

WI Bringin' The Heat

WY QUAU

HOME STATE

AR Hog Tide Bar-B-Que

DE Finn's Finest BBQ

FL Git-R-Smoked BBQ

MD Pigs in Blankets

ND Spitfire

NE Phat Jacks

NM TheSmokeRing.com

NV Sin City Smokers

UT R&R BBQ II

WILD CARD

Ten Pinos Cooking Team

Smokin Mike
08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
AL Smokin' on The Roof AR Caveman Cuisine AZ Toys 4 BBQ'N CA Too Ashamed To Name BBQ CO Flyboy BBQ FL IAB 30 BBQ GA Jack's Old South IA Meadow Valley BBQ IL Brew-B-Q IN Getta Que KS Parrothead Smokers KY Blue Chip BBQ LA Big Bear BBQ MD Deguello BBQ MI Bavarian Smoke BBQ MN A Boy & His BBQ MO Political Pork MS Killer Hogs NC Pelletheads.com NE Smokey Bears BBQ NJ Three Men & A Baby Back NV Smoke on Wheels NY Buffalo Meatheads OH Steel Smokin' BBQ OK Little Pig Town PA The BBQ Guru SD Swine Assassins TN Swiggin' Pig TX BrotherHood BBQ UT Rhythm 'N Que VA Tarheel Smokers WI Bringin' The Heat WY QUAU HOME STATE AR Hog Tide Bar-B-Que DE Finn's Finest BBQ FL Git-R-Smoked BBQ MD Pigs in Blankets ND Spitfire NE Phat Jacks NM TheSmokeRing.com NV Sin City Smokers UT R&R BBQ II WILD CARD Ten Pinos Cooking Team

Thanks! :clap2:

wmaes47
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
AUTOS

http://www.rbjb.com/jacks2012.pdf

bigdogphin
Uuuuum Oregon and Washington?

Ron_L
Steve, is that official?

musicmanryann
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Huge congrats to all brethren who got a bung!! Best of luck in The Hollow!! Those of you going the first time--it is an unforgettable experience.

YankeeBBQ
08-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Steve, is that official?
YES It is

Pelkster
08-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Congrats to all that got a bung pulled!

Ron_L
08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm going to clean up the banter in this thread and make it an official results thread. No offense to anyone who's post gets deleted.

Candy Sue
08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
AUTOMATIC:

Smokin’ Hoggz BBQ Abington, MA 2011 Jack Daniel’
Motley Que Crew Grosse Pointe Woods, MI American Royal/
Houston Livestock
Yazoo’s Delta Q Hernando, MS Memphis In May

3 Eyz BBQ Owens Mills, MD Seven Wins
Butcher BBQ Chandler, OK Seven Wins
Pig Skin BBQ Rockwell, IA Seven Wins
Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Diamond Bar, CA Seven Wins
Truebud BBQ Tonganoxie, KS Seven Wins

ZBQ Cumberland, RI, MD CT State Winner
Firefighters BBQ Team Keedysville, MD DC State Winner
Gone Hoggin.com Bear, DE DE Sate Winner
Ponderosa BBQ Des Moine, Iowa ID State Winner
Yabba Dabba Que! Bedford, NH MA State Winner
Hart Attack Hopkinton, MA ME State Winner
Team Enoserv Tulsa, OK MT State Winner
Fatback Joe’s BBQ Hampden, MA NH State Winner
Smokin’ Triggers Alvarado, TX NM State Winner
Movin’ the Chains Benverton, OR OR State Winner
Lakeside Smokers Methuen, MA RI State Winner
The Smokehouse Mafia Taylorsville, NC SC State Winner
Q Haven BBQ Orange, CT VT State Winner
Chix, Swine, & Bovine Jessup, MD WV State Winner

Smokin Mike
08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm going to clean up the banter in this thread and make it an official results thread. No offense to anyone who's post gets deleted.

good idea!:rolleyes: thanks for what you do Ron!

deena
08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Strange.. Nothing for Washington??

didisea
08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Apparently no Washington? What about Alaska?

Balls Casten
08-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Congrats to all.

kcmike
08-31-2012, 06:40 PM
WOO HOO! Congrats to IAB 30 and R&R BBQ!! Two Oakridge Teams are going to the BIG SHOW! :becky: :becky:

CBQ
08-31-2012, 06:46 PM
AUTOMATIC:

Houston Livestock

Rhode Island is often considered to be part of New York, but Maryland is a new one for me. :becky:

Congrats to everyone headed to the Jack, see ya in the hollow...

stan
08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Congrats to all the teams that got drawn and to all that got automatics!

Jeffp
08-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Congrats to all. Its a big accomplishment and you should be commended.

Sledneck
08-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Why not a new thread? Are we to erase history of how crappy this was handled so we forget by next year?

JD McGee
08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
No Washington? Really? :tsk: Congrats to all who got pulled and a special shout to Movin' The Chains for Oregon! :thumb:

deez butts
08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
How is Hart Attack in for Maine? The comp they won had 16 teams and was a second year comp? Am I missing something?

AUTOMATIC:

Houston Livestock

Muzzlebrake
08-31-2012, 07:02 PM
So here in the Northeast, NY, NJ and PA teams carried their states but in New England............ the NH team took the MA draw while teams from MA took the NH, ME and RI draw whose team took the CT and the CT team took VT

Congrats to all!

Big Mike
08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
How is Hart Attack in for Maine? The comp they won had 16 teams and was a second year comp? Am I missing something?

If it is the only comp in the state, I believe they only have to have 15.

ique
08-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Sorry to disappoint you. :wink:

I was surprised too when emailing with Jack folks last week. Since both Eliot (Lakeside), and Fryburg (3 Eyz) winners both had other automatics, Old Orchard Beach became the only Maine contest in the draw. There is a rule if only one contest qualifies for a state only 15 teams are required. When Lakeside won Eliot that actually qualified Old Orchard Beach.

Keep that in mind for New London, CT coming up, very well only need 15 for that to be a qualifier which I think it already has.

nucornhusker
08-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Congrats to all who were drawn and the AQ's! And to the two teams from Nebraska!

Sledneck
08-31-2012, 07:16 PM

I was surprised too when emailing with Jack folks last week. Since both Eliot (Lakeside), and Fryburg (3 Eyz) winners both had other automatics, Old Orchard Beach became the only Maine contest in the draw. There is a rule if only one contest qualifies for a state only 15 teams are required. When Lakeside won Eliot that actually qualified Old Orchard Beach.

Keep that in mind for New London, CT coming up, very well only need 15 for that to be a qualifier which I think it already has.

They have 12 right now but I'm sure they will have 15 contest time

Sledneck
08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
• To receive an invitation, teams must cook in the categories of pork, chicken, and beef to be considered that contest’s grand champion. In a KCBS-sanctioned competition, teams must cook the required four categories.
• If a contest is the only contest in a state, it should have a minimum of 15 competing teams.
• First-year contests that have a “state championship” proclamation from the governor of the state in which the contest is held should have a minimum of 15 competing teams. After the first year, a contest will be considered an “established” contest.
• Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation should have a minimum of 25 competing teams.
• Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

Any request for an exception to the above criteria must be sent in writing to Debbie Christian

Alexa RnQ
08-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Congratulations, everyone. See you in the Hollow. Let's hope for another sunny weekend this year!

deez butts
08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Well that's cool! I figured I was missing something. Good luck out there!

Brewer
08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
No Washington? Really? :tsk: Congrats to all who got pulled and a special shout to Movin' The Chains for Oregon! :thumb:

Bad A$$, congrats Jesse - you and Charlotte deserve it! :thumb:

swamprb
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Strange.. Nothing for Washington??

Washington State must have been voted off the Island, just like Pluto was declared "not a Planet".

ique
08-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Well that's cool! I figured I was missing something. Good luck out there!

Thanks! Great to cook next to you guys again in Eliot.

Teamfour
08-31-2012, 07:33 PM
• To receive an invitation, teams must cook in the categories of pork, chicken, and beef to be considered that contest’s grand champion. In a KCBS-sanctioned competition, teams must cook the required four categories.
• If a contest is the only contest in a state, it should have a minimum of 15 competing teams.
• First-year contests that have a “state championship” proclamation from the governor of the state in which the contest is held should have a minimum of 15 competing teams. After the first year, a contest will be considered an “established” contest.
• Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation should have a minimum of 25 competing teams.
• Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

Any request for an exception to the above criteria must be sent in writing to Debbie Christian

Didn't they do away with the State Championship Proclamation for 2013? Wouldn't that make all comps in CT in the draw?

Sledneck
08-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Didn't they do away with the State Championship Proclamation for 2013? Wouldn't that make all comps in CT in the draw?

Ct has only 1 contest

deez butts
08-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks! Great to cook next to you guys again in Eliot.

Always a pleasure being next to teams that are going to kill us :)
Now just watch out for that yoder down there, it has a mind of it's own.

Muzzlebrake
08-31-2012, 07:47 PM

Congrats! 11 in a row? You definitely have the Jack Mojo. That is an interesting interpretation of the qualifier rules.........I'm glad it worked to your advantage.

ique
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats! 11 in a row? You definitely have the Jack Mojo. That is an interesting interpretation of the qualifier rules.........I'm glad it worked to your advantage.

Thanks Bro, yup, 11. I dont make the rules. I just cook, try to win a couple and keep my fingers crossed.

:-D

Kenny Rogers
08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Uuuuum Oregon and Washington?

Yup... that's a result of our requirements to make a state qualifier. There were VERY few this year, and none in Eastern Wa, and I think only one in MT...

Because of this areas geographic isolation, it's difficult to get 25 teams every year to make a state qualifier...

Muzzlebrake
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks Bro, yup, 11. I dont make the rules. I just cook, try to win a couple and keep my fingers crossed.

And that is a fine example of why you should just keep your head down, cook and let those in power do what they do. Like I said, I wouldn't have seen that one coming but I'm glad it worked out for you!

It does make the CT contest a tougher choice........my wife is going to like this

bluegrass smoke
08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
What is the qualifier in Kentucky?

DeanC
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Congrats and good luck to everyone that made it in.

pwa
08-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Washington State must have been voted off the Island, just like Pluto was declared "not a Planet".

Alaska to :(

Jorge
08-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Jack likes you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Svenmac
08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
What is the qualifier in Kentucky?

Blue chip BBQ is from Louisville

CBQ
08-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Two things:

1 - Only the AR removed the proclamation requirement, not the Jack.
2 - It has to be a four meat sanctioned contest

Westport, CT is a KCBS Competitor's Series event, so it's not a four meat sanctioned event. As of right now, New London is still the only 4 meat sanctioned event in CT. If that remains true, they only need 15 teams to be an auto qualifier. New London also has a proclamation (or at least they did least year.)

dmprantz
08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
2 - It has to be a four meat sanctioned contest

Correction:

1) To qualify for The Jack, you must win a grand champinoship at a qaulifying event.
2) To be a qualifying event, it must "cook and turn in pork, chicken, and beef."
3) In addition to the above, KCBS sanctioned competitions require you to cook and turn in all four main categories (pork shoulder, beef brisket, pork ribs, and chicken) to win grand champinion, so you must cook all four to qualify for (1), while cooking all four qualifies you for (2).

I don't know if the context of this disucssion makes KCBS Competitor Series "KCBS Sanctioned" requiring four meats or not, but in general, you do not need to cook four meats to be a Jack qualifier. I'm surprised at how many times I've had to point this out recently....

dmp

INmitch
08-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Blue chip BBQ is from Louisville

Deespite being from Louuuieeevill.........One of he nicist guys in bbq.:clap2:

Candy Sue
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Yup... that's a result of our requirements to make a state qualifier. There were VERY few this year, and none in Eastern Wa, and I think only one in MT...

Because of this areas geographic isolation, it's difficult to get 25 teams every year to make a state qualifier...

Here's what I heard back from the folks working the draw. There were 4 qualifiers in Washington State. 3 teams did not return their paperwork. The one team that did let them know that the team could not attend. None left to draw.

bigdogphin
08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Bad A$$, congrats Jesse - you and Charlotte deserve it! :thumb:

Super excited...congrats to all the competitors that had the courage to compete this season.

swamprb
08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Super excited...congrats to all the competitors that had the courage to compete this season.

First off- Congratulations for making it Jesse!

But did you get any information packet from the Jack, an e-mail confirmation or any correspondence regarding inclusion prior to the draw? I have an e-mail regarding all qualifying events that were submitted to the JD, but LHS and Damn Straight have not received anything-not sure about the rest of the teams?

huminie
08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Here's what I heard back from the folks working the draw. There were 4 qualifiers in Washington State. 3 teams did not return their paperwork. The one team that did let them know that the team could not attend. None left to draw.

It's a shame that 3 teams didn't return the paperwork, but I can see how it would easily happen. I won a GC at a qualifying PNWBA event in California and I never received any paperwork. Not sure why, but I got nothing.

Now, I knew enough to ask around and I received copies of other people's paperwork, so I could have turned it in if I had wanted to and I chose not to. But if I didn't know any better than to ask, then I might not have known what was required of me.

Maybe this is what happened for the 3 WA teams? Not sure.

Along these lines is there an informational website that lists all the rules and requirements for the Jack that teams can use as a reference to navigate through this process? All the info seems to come second and third hand. I have searched the JD website and only found very vague generic information.

bigdogphin
08-31-2012, 10:52 PM

But did you get any information packet from the Jack, an e-mail confirmation or any correspondence regarding inclusion prior to the draw? I have an e-mail regarding all qualifying events that were submitted to the JD, but LHS and Damn Straight have not received anything-not sure about the rest of the teams?

Pm.... Sent

Muzzlebrake
08-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Along these lines is there an informational website that lists all the rules and requirements for the Jack that teams can use as a reference to navigate through this process? All the info seems to come second and third hand. I have searched the JD website and only found very vague generic information.

the rules were published in The Bullsheet 2 or 3 issues ago. I think they are archived on the website.

JerryA
08-31-2012, 11:03 PM
It's a shame that 3 teams didn't return the paperwork, but I can see how it would easily happen. I won a GC at a qualifying PNWBA event in California and I never received any paperwork. Not sure why, but I got nothing.

Now, I knew enough to ask around and I received copies of other people's paperwork, so I could have turned it in if I had wanted to and I chose not to. But if I didn't know any better than to ask, then I might not have known what was required of me.

Adam, I didn't find one. I searched and searched everywhere on the Internet and what I did find here on the brethren was that the rules were released in one of the Bullsheets. So I accessed the archives on the KCBS site and was able to find the info.

swamprb
09-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Any word on Montana?

NorthwestBBQ
09-01-2012, 12:47 AM
I am farking standing besides myself. :mad:

I certainly hope there will be a WA team going to the Jack this year.

I remember in 2010 there was some hang up about the OR team but it was resolved about a week later.

Brewer
09-01-2012, 01:00 AM

That's what happened to us. Unfortunately, we weren't sent any paperwork and assumed that because our name was on the .xls submitted to the Jack that we'd be included in the draw.

I understand that the Jack team is working on it and I'm sure they'll get it squared away quickly. They may not have been aware of the problem until early this am.

Crash
09-01-2012, 04:10 AM
No Hawaii representation either this year. Bummer!

Big George's BBQ
09-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Congrats to all that got in

dmprantz
09-01-2012, 06:55 AM
No Hawaii representation either this year. Bummer!

Well, Slap Your Daddy got that GC and sent in the paperwork for it. No one else from HI had a mainland GC for home state.

dmp

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
09-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Congrats to all who got in. Blue Chip BBQ from KY will surely represent us well. Go Get Em.

brownkw
09-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Maybe I missed it, but is there a list of the international teams anywhere?

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
09-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Congrats to all who got in. Blue Chip BBQ from KY will surely represent us well. Go Get Em.

Agreed. Charlie is a great guy and will represent KY well.

JD McGee
09-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Wow! Not liking the sound of this at all. We were the "one" team that contacted the Jack (Debbie Christian) directly to let them know we would not be participating in the draw due to prior commitments. I do know that I talked to Jesse (Movin' The Chains) about his invitation and also sent the PNWBA President an e-mail asking if they had notified the Jack of all eligible teams. The response I got back (from PNWBA) was that they were waiting for the remaining competitions to see if there would be any more qualifiers before submitting.

On August 9th I posted this thread on the PNWBA forum...

http://www.pnwba.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3020

Here are the first 3 post in that thread...

USA
1159 Posts
http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_posticon.gifPosted - 08/09/2012 : 11:23:50 http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_profile.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=177) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_email.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:openWindow('pop_mail.asp?id=177')) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_homepage.gif (http://www.winecountryq.com/) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_edit_topic.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/post.asp?method=EditTopic&REPLY_ID=3020&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_reply_topic.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10) Has anyone received their Invitation packet yet? Good luck to all!www.winecountryq.comJD McGee (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=177)

USA
1159 Posts
http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_posticon.gifPosted - 08/10/2012 : 11:19:23 http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_profile.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=177) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_email.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:openWindow('pop_mail.asp?id=177')) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_homepage.gif (http://www.winecountryq.com/) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_edit_topic.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/post.asp?method=Edit&REPLY_ID=18551&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_reply_topic.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=18551&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_delete_reply.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:openWindow('pop_delete.asp?mode=Reply&REPLY_ID=18551&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10')) Well...I can tell ya right now...no one has. E-mail from Debbie Christian said they are still waiting for the info from the PNWBA. I forwarded it to Jane for action...
JDwww.winecountryq.comhttp://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_go_up.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3020#top)ptldrabbit (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=336)

USA
257 Posts
http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_posticon.gifPosted - 08/10/2012 : 21:24:49 http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_profile.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=336) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_email.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:openWindow('pop_mail.asp?id=336')) http://www.pnwba.com/forums/images/icon_reply_topic.gif (http://www.pnwba.com/forums/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=18561&TOPIC_ID=3020&FORUM_ID=10) I never got your email . . .

The Jack just sent out the spreadsheet and it has been filled out, sent back and received. I will be updating GC's when needed until the deadline of August 26th.

Jane Biehl
PNWBA President
PNWBA Head Judge
PNWBA CBJ# 200214
KCBS CBJ# 53194

JD McGee
09-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Any word on Montana?

Team ENOSERV won the auto at Billings...

JD McGee
09-01-2012, 09:33 AM
That's what happened to us. Unfortunately, we weren't sent any paperwork and assumed that because our name was on the .xls submitted to the Jack that we'd be included in the draw.

I understand that the Jack team is working on it and I'm sure they'll get it squared away quickly. They may not have been aware of the problem until early this am.

Phil...for what it's worth I sent Debbie an e-mail on your behalf explaining the situation and that you and your crew are more that happy to represent Washington State at the Jack.

Brian...since you are familiar with the draw procedures I assumed you would follow up on your own. If you are interested in going I recommend contacting Debbie asap...perhaps the Jack can flip a coin between you and Phil.

Hopefully the Jack will resolve this in short order...:thumb:

Brewer
09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Phil...for what it's worth I sent Debbie an e-mail on your behalf explaining the situation and that you and your crew are more that happy to represent Washington State at the Jack.

Brian...since you are familiar with the draw procedures I assumed you would follow up on your own. If you are interested in going I recommend contacting Debbie asap...perhaps the Jack can flip a coin between you and Phil.

Hopefully the Jack will resolve this in short order...:thumb:

Thanks JD, I appreciate it. :becky:

What disturbs me about this is that of the 4 teams that qualified the only one they heard from was you, who proactively called and asked for the invite and told them you would not be able to attend. So it's accurate to say that the 3 other teams who did not reach out received nothing from the Jack team - not email, not snail mail. It's too coincidental that all 3 packets got lost in the mail and all 3 emails never made it. I thinks it's pretty clear that perhaps this was all caused by an error on the part of the Jack team. My guess is that nothing was ever sent out to any of our teams.... There's no other explanation.

That said, I've got a huge problem with the process and being excluded from the draw. It was NOT an oversight on my part, we would have sent any paperwork we received, back the day we received it - we we're all in for the draw, wanted to be drawn and would have gladly made the trip.

Who's responsibility is it to ensure the qualifier GCs know what to expect and can identify potential problems before they happen? According to PNWBA - that's Jack's responsibility. However, it's completely understandable that the Jack team doesn't have to time or resources to reach out to every team eligible to confirm. That said, it's their system and it's not a very good one, so they should take some responsibility for making sure situations like this never happen.

IF it's neither the Jack's responsibility to ensure we're all aware of the process beforehand, nor PNWBA's (or KCBS, etc..) responsibility to let us know - then who's responsibility is it? Should we all expect to be excluded until we magically figure the process and requirements out? It feels more like a treasure hunt than a process in the best interest of fairness to all teams.

So far I've sent 3 emails and haven't heard from anyone at the Jack... Which is disappointing, considering I expected at least some communication in the interest of figuring out what happened here. I'm still confident they'll get this worked out at some point, just not sure right now what the final outcome will be.

Kenny Rogers
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I understand that not everybody that competes wants to, or has the ability to go to the Jack. However I can see that if you were a serious competitor the Jack would be THE place to go.
We have yet to actually win a GC, much less a bung for the drawing, we would be hanging on the edge of waiting for our name to be drawn, if I found out afterwards that our name was never actually IN the drawing, I would be less than pleased. All of the teams that qualified worked VERY hard, spent a lot of time and a ton of money, to get to get there, and to be "forgotten" is not acceptable.

IMHO this is one of the reasons that competition seems bbq to be failing to keep/draw in members. The lack of organization, consistency, and independence.

I could go on... but what I'm saying here is "Congrats" to all the teams that are going, you've worked hard for this and you've earned the right to compete. To those teams that didn't have their bungs in the draw because of an "oversight" I'm pissed off for ya!
Keep on keepin' on brethren!

Scottie
09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The association sends the info to the Jack. So I'd say contact someone on the PNWBBQ

Brewer
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
The association sends the info to the Jack. So I'd say contact someone on the PNWBBQ

In the case Chad is referring to, the PNWBA submitted the names in a .xls format as required. The question at this point is what happened to the initial invite paperwork and emails that were supposed to be sent by the Jack team but never received by any/all of the 4 qualifying teams. PNWBA can't answer that.

To be fair to the Jack team, the cause of the problem still hasn't been identified, so at this point, it's not fair to point the finger at anyone until they have a chance to identify where the problem occurred. It may very well be a PNWBA problem... or even a team problem for that matter.

CarolinaQue
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Not trying to split hairs here or take any thing away from Chris, but the OOB contest was 1 of 3 contests in Maine. One of the other one's was won by Lakeside who already had an auto invite because of his win in RI and the other was 3-Eyez (sp?) that won Fryeberg that made his 7th GC of the year, so he was an auto also. Just trying to understand the thought process used to determine how the rules are applied.

Bentley
09-05-2012, 01:26 AM
I understand that not everybody that competes wants to, or has the ability to go to the Jack. However I can see that if you were a serious competitor the Jack would be THE place to go.

You are right about not everyone wants to compete in the Jack...I must not be a "serious" competitor either, as I am cooking in the Jack and the AR Invitational & Open and I am much more stoked to be cooking in the AR then the Jack!

ique
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Not trying to split hairs here or take any thing away from Chris, but the OOB contest was 1 of 3 contests in Maine. One of the other one's was won by Lakeside who already had an auto invite because of his win in RI and the other was 3-Eyez (sp?) that won Fryeberg that made his 7th GC of the year, so he was an auto also. Just trying to understand the thought process used to determine how the rules are applied.

Since the other two contests were not involved in the draw process they treated OOB as the only Maine contest and applied the 15 team rule.

fwiw, I believe I had a second auto qualification for the Jack that never came into play. If they had included my NY bung in the draw (which they did not because of maine), I would of been the only team from Mass. in the draw. If not selected in the NY draw I would of been selected as the Mass home state rep.

By the way those that followed a thread from a few weeks ago, Staten Island did have a proclamation and will again in 2013

Scottie
09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Wouldnt the 3-eyz win count because it was their 7th? Of course I am stoked for you guys Chris. Go get 2.the rule just makes me scratch my head with less than 25 teams. Good luck bro. You represent NEBS.

ique
09-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Wouldnt the 3-eyz win count because it was their 7th? Of course I am stoked for you guys Chris. Go get 2.the rule just makes me scratch my head with less than 25 teams. Good luck bro. You represent NEBS.

Yeah, they treated this from a draw standpoint. There were zero 25+ team Maine contests in the draw so they checked to see if there was an eligible 15 team contest.

Any other questions I'll get you guys the Jack BBQ hotline phone number.

chicago jack
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Maybe I missed it, but is there a list of the international teams anywhere?

Bar-B-Q Shack qualified again by winning the British Series GC and Miss Piggys by winning the IBQN European title. There is some problem with the Dutch qualifiers due to a sponsorship deal, As to the other European teams , I don't know who they are or how they qualified.

JD McGee
09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Just in from Debbie Christian at the Jack..."we will be conducting a re-draw today for Washington State"...woohoo! Stand by for our WA Jack Rep! Good luck everyone!

Ps...just as soon as she personally confirms all interested teams...smart lady...

huminie
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
That is really great news!

In California there were 2 PNWBA events. I won one and decided not to enter the draw (see you at The Royal!), and Too Ashamed To Name won the other and was drawn for California. They had 2 other bungs, so I am not sure if they won on 2 or 3 bungs since the PNWBA bung might not have been in play. Doesn't matter since they won though, but it does make me wonder if there were PNWBA events in other states and if those winners got included in those state's draws. Not trying to stir the pot, just genuinely wondering.

swamprb
09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
No news here.

Still awaiting a response to my e-mail.

JD McGee
09-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Our Washington State 2012 Jack Daniel's World BBQ Championship representative is..."Damn Straight BBQ"! Big time congrats brothers...now...go get 'em!

huminie
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Nice! Good luck Phil!

RangerJ
09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
IMHO this is one of the reasons that competition seems bbq to be failing to keep/draw in members. The lack of organization, consistency, and independence.

Perhaps in the NW, but I see no shortage of cooks here in Texas regardless of organization.

Sorry for the hijack.

Brewer
09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Nice! Good luck Phil!

Thanks Adam, we're pretty damn excited!

JD McGee
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks Adam, we're pretty damn excited!
Damn Straight you are! :becky: Congrats again guys...great seeing you this weekend! Tell Bill not to burn the sauce at the Jack! :tsk:

shares
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
That is really great news!

In California there were 2 PNWBA events. I won one and decided not to enter the draw (see you at The Royal!), and Too Ashamed To Name won the other and was drawn for California. They had 2 other bungs, so I am not sure if they won on 2 or 3 bungs since the PNWBA bung might not have been in play. Doesn't matter since they won though, but it does make me wonder if there were PNWBA events in other states and if those winners got included in those state's draws. Not trying to stir the pot, just genuinely wondering.

The paper work from the Jack includes a sheet where you specify your qualifying wins. All 3 of ours looked to fall within the qualifying dates for this year. So for all I know, we had all three bungs in there.

It's a shame you didn't get your paperwork, the letter makes a great keepsake. I have no doubt you'll get some wins next year though.

Kenny Rogers
09-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Congrats Phil!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

swamprb
09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I just received my invite in the mail today! 9/13

If anyone hasn't received one from any PNWBA Qualifying events, I suggest you at least contact Debbie_Christian@b-f.com and request an info packet just for posterity.

Like Scott said the invite does make a great keepsake and the Jack folks realize that as well. Even if you are not able to attend, you did earn your place in the draw. There are motions in place to make sure that this does not happen in the future.