PDA

View Full Version : BBQ competition wish list items for teams

82's BBQ
08-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I posted this under the roll call topic, but thought it would get a better response if I did it separately.

There is a committee meeting tomorrow and I was just asked to present a list of BBQ team wants/needs. They are doing everything within their power and budget to make this a great event for the teams. If you there is something that you can think of that appeals to you when making a decision on where to compete, please post it or PM me and I will pass it along.

Teamfour
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
What event are you talking about?

82's BBQ
08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Danville, IL. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142656

Lake Dogs
08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Pay Out. Guaranteed. There are minimums, like available water and power. Sanctioning. Hooters waitresses passing out ice is always nice.

DawgPhan
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I want awards early or at least on time.

Breakfast is great. A cup of coffee and maybe a biscuit or something is great in the AM. doesnt need to be a huge spread, just something that I dont have to deal with first thing saturday.

82's BBQ
08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I want awards early or at least on time.

Breakfast is great. A cup of coffee and maybe a biscuit or something is great in the AM. doesnt need to be a huge spread, just something that I dont have to deal with first thing saturday.

So would a box of doughnuts delivered to the site work?

K-Train
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Indoor plumbing, or really nice porta pots just for the competitors. Gettysburg had air-conditioned bathrooms with lights and sinks with running water. Those were awesome. They were glorious when nature called.

Muzzlebrake
08-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Besides the tangible things like payouts, convenient date and location,
A gift bag is always cool
A meal for the teams (I'm a breakfast fan)
Good water
Reliable power
Free or low cost ice readily available, delivered if possible
Consistent trash pick up
Roomy sites
Accesable clean bathrooms for the teams
Timely awards that don't drag on

boogiesnap
08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
cannon lady.

big brother smoke
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Clear, genuine and excellent communication.

wags
08-28-2012, 08:45 PM
cannon lady.
Hey s'mo q, I agree. She was right on front of my site :)

Red Valley BBQ
08-28-2012, 08:46 PM

I thought you liked it when the top 20 teams got calls...:heh:

The Cosmic Pig
08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Besides the tangible things like payouts, convenient date and location,
A gift bag is always cool
A meal for the teams (I'm a breakfast fan)
Good water
Reliable power
Free or low cost ice readily available, delivered if possible
Consistent trash pick up
Roomy sites
Accesable clean bathrooms for the teams

Nailed it!

boogiesnap
08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey s'mo q, I agree. She was right on front of my site :)

mine too. threw off my whole timing. :biggrin1:

Muzzlebrake
08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
I thought you liked it when the top 20 teams got calls...:heh:

I don't mind that at a large contest, I can't stand the presenter who thinks he is a morning drive DJ and rambles on and on and feels the need to tell a story between each one

The flip side of that is the presenter that flies through the awards like they have somewhere better to be.

The Cosmic Pig
08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
So would a box of doughnuts delivered to the site work?

I love doughnuts, but am a diabetic. It's surprising how many people are and we don't know it. But I would probably eat every dang one of them because it would be a great excuse..."that's all they had!!!" :tsk: :grin:

porkingINpublic
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
How about hooters girls as box runners? It would be a glorious site seeing that winning box jogging toward turn in! :shock:

LTG
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Plenty of ash disposal containers and clearly marked containers for grease water.

Eggspert
08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
We appreciate hot showers available on site the most. Other cool things I have seen: free bloody marys Saturday am, Perkins muffins, hot breakfast, free ice, free 12 pack of local brewery beer, grab bags, a drawing for a free admission to next years competition, and free water park tickets. I agree with the large payout being a big determining factor and it is nice when there is payout to 7-10 place. It helps us little guys just starting out.

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange thermapen

dhuffjr
08-29-2012, 12:04 AM
x2 on ash and grease disposal.....There should be several locations ideally.

Shiz-Nit
08-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Nice CLEAN shower house with good pluming

rksylves
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Reliable power, water, dry level ground, turn-in area that's in the same zip code. I'm happy.

Bonus Points?
Porta-Johns that are cleaned occasionally
Trash pickup or dumpster nearby
Breakfast on Saturday morning
A list of good nearby restaraunts to maybe go to on Friday night

Double Bonus Points?
Give me a name/cell phone # of someone I can contact with questions or issues
Clean showers

Turn offs?
Local fire department demanding a 'certified' fire extinguisher (and oh by the way, the guy who can do that is standing right over there. Go pay him your $30 and he'll give you the little tag. Read scam)
Local authorities giving me grief about open container.

Russ

rexbbq
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Port-o-johns that are cleaned a couple of times during the contest.

BBQ_Mayor
08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Only 1.. A GC! Suppose they could help me with that?..:twitch:

Pack-A-Smokes
08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
communication, communication, communication!
If you promise 20x20 or whatever then make it so! We did a comp earlier this year and was supposed to have 20x30. When two 10x10 EZups hang over into someone else's site by 2 feet, that is not 20 feet. We were asked to only use one because of it and I told the guy why not just give me what I paid for.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Water, reliable power, and a clean port a John are the only things I expect. Things that make it nice are breakfast, free ice, and and an organizer that takes time to get unique trophies i.e. not ribbons or plastic bowling trophies.

JD McGee
08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I conducted a survey on three bbq forums a couple of years ago asking pretty much the same question...the PNWBA has incorporated several of it's findings into their sanctioning agreement for event organizers. I'll see if I can dig it up for you...it may be in the Event Organizer section...
Cheers!
JD

JD McGee
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Found it...here ya go...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97844

82's BBQ
08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
So I presented the list to the committee and they seem to be on board. They are looking into showers for the teams, breakfast and dinner will be a go, free beer? they are providing drink tickets to the bar, turn ins will be within walking distance.

Porkin in public even your request is being looked into, I brought it up as a joke. It might not be the hooters girls, but possibly the Bud Light girls. :-) You're welcome, now sign up. LOL

juslearning
08-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Found it...here ya go...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97844

I have a subscription and it tells me that I don't have permission to view this page.

I agree with communication and doing everything you say you are going to do. Also don't charge a lot for extra space. I can understand a small charge for extra space, but dang, don't make me downsize my rig because I can't afford the extra charge. If there is only so much space, I do understand, but I have been to several where the amount of space was not an issue, they just wanted the extra money. Or so it seemed.

Gift bags are not necessary unless you have sponsors wanting to get their product out there, that's fine but save that expense for something else. Breakfast is nice but doesn't have to be a big spread. And clean portojohns are a must.

Svenmac
08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Reliable power, water, dry level ground, turn-in area that's in the same zip code. I'm happy.
Russ

Especially the zip code comment. We went to a contest where you had to walk a half mile through the circus crowd just to do turn ins :mad2:

Disconnect
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned that we always appreciate is a little bit of no-mans-land, between (well-marked fully-boxed) spaces and/or behind the rows (where the generators live.) Space between camps helps keep people from walking through our space and lets us lay out the way we want, instead of having to block off pathways to keep people out. And space in the back lets us do things like shoving the front of the jeep or open trailer out when a 20' space ends up being 18' because of a roadway, hill, troop of wild monkeys, etc..

Even better in bad weather, if there is room to throw it sideways without being in the way we can tie our tents to it.

Obviously it isn't a guaranteed/advertised thing, but its nice to find it when we show up.

Its the little things :)