PDA

View Full Version : NBBQ News Best of the Best, Douglas GA

chad
11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, the Best of the Best contest went down this past weekend in Douglas, GA.

In the Invitational Bar-B-Quau continued their winning ways with Grand Champion - winning 3 of the 5 categories. Smokin' Triggers took Reserve. There were 27 teams in the Invitational.

Our own Kevin Bevington, HomeBBQ.com, took 1st in pork and 3rd in ribs in the Invitational. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ((I spazzed and mistyped 3 instead of 1 and missed the ribs the first time around - I apologize - what a marroon! :eek: ))

In the Open Jack's Old South took Grand Champion and, guess who - Bar-B-Quau took Reserve! Not a bad weekend! :biggrin:

I can't find complete results so will have to wait on the next issue of the NBBQ News.

BrooklynQ
11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Congrats Kevin!

The_Kapn
11-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Here are the results for the Invitational part of the Event.

"Tough Field" by definition.
Great Job Kevin!!
----------------------------------------------
Chicken
1 - Bar-B-Quau
2 - QN4U
3 - Smokin Triggers
4 - The Dixie Boys
5 - Firefly's Bodacious BBQ
6 - ButtRub.com
7 - Prime Time Smokers
8 - The Purple Turtle
9 - Dr. Frank N Swine
10 - Hush Grill Team

Ribs
1 - Bar-B-Quau
2 - Bar-B-Q Bandits
3 - HomeBBQ.com
4 - Squeels on Wheels
5 - Firefly's Bodacious BBQ
6 - Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q
7 - Lunchmeat
8 - Kick The Tire, Light The Fire
9 - Smokers Wild
10 - Smokin Triggers

Pork
1 - HomeBBQ.com
2 - City Hogs
3 - Oink Cackle & Moo
4 - Big Bob Gibsons Bar-B-Que
5 - Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
6 - Jack's Old South
7 - Lunchmeat
8 - Tower Rock BBQ
9 - Firefly's Bodacious BBQ
10 - The Purple Turtle

Brisket
1 - Bar-B-Quau
2 - Swamp Water Boys
3 - Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
4 - Kick The Tire, Light The Fire
5 - Smokin Triggers
6 - Smokers Wild
7 - Oink Cackle & Moo
9 - Big Bob Gibson BBQ
10 - Rib Ticklers

Whole Hog
1 - Oink Cackle & Moo
2 - Jack's Old South
3 - Beavor Castors
4 - Big Daddy's Butt Rub
5 - Tower Rock BBQ
6 - The Dixie Boys

Overall
1 - Bar-B-Quau
2 - Smokin Triggers
3 - Oink Cackle & Moo
4 - Jack's Old South
5 - Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
6 - Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q
7 - Firefly's Bodacious BBQ
8 - Lunchmeat
9 - HomeBBQ.com
10 - Smokers Wild
--------------------------------------

TIM

Arlin_MacRae
11-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Right ON, Kevin!

homebbq
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys... I understand congrats are due back to you on your finish in Key Largo... Did I see a 3rd overall finish?

chad
11-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys... I understand congrats are due back to you on your finish in Key Largo... Did I see a 3rd overall finish?

Yes sir, you did! :razz:

We're not quite sure how to act.

We feel good picking up 3rd in that field - especially that small a field since there's not any wiggle room. :biggrin:

homebbq
11-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Wow... congrats back to you and Tim... Great job

I wish I could have been down there, but I had to go to Douglas... And I will have to go next year. Its really a one of a kind contest on how its run, judged, and scored.. Its too bad the entry fees are so high, and that hurt them this year, and will hurt even worse next year if they don't lower them, at least for the Invitational... But all in all, there were dramatic improvements over last year.

qman
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Congrats, Kevin, on a nice showing.

nmayeux
11-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Congrats!

chad
11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
.... but I had to go to Douglas... And I will have to go next year. Its really a one of a kind contest on how its run, judged, and scored.. Its too bad the entry fees are so high, and that hurt them this year, and will hurt even worse next year if they don't lower them, at least for the Invitational... But all in all, there were dramatic improvements over last year.

I understand that - I don't know that we'll ever go to compete but I could be convinced to go up and judge! The format is great - really spreads the categories and gives all the players a shot at their best product.

However, we really liked Key Largo and would definately like to go again - they indicated they are definately willing to grow and have the space for 40 or so teams.

drbbq
11-08-2005, 07:16 PM
The folks in Key Largo now understand a little more and will consider changing their date. They have to contend with the race in Homestead though, so they may not ne able too.

Congrats Kevin on a really good showing up there. It doesn't get any tougher than Douglas.

Sawdustguy
11-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Congratulations! Boy, the bro's have been hot lately. It's gonna be tuff for a couple of fat polocks to live up to the expectations being set by you guys but we are proud of you none the less. :biggrin:

homebbq
11-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks everyone... And good to hear from you Ray... And yes, Douglas is a tough one... If it wasn't tough enough, then Chris Lilly shows up... Man he is impressive, its amazing that he can walk into a contest like this after competing very little, and not only be competitive but in the mix at the top. And what can be said about Bar-B-Quau, accept, awesome, and it was definately his weekend.. Next year, I will be cooking chicken instead of brisket, they just don't like my brisket for whatever reason the invitational.

Solidkick
11-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Congrats Kevin!

Wow, Quau was just hotter than a 2 dollar pistol the last 3-4 months of the season. Makes me wonder if he has a shot at overall KCBS champ.