PDA

View Full Version : Parsley box prep before the contest (Diva Q?)

fweck
08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I saw a thread/post within the last month by, I think, Diva Q, where she shows how to prep a parsley box the day or two before the contest. I had saved it as a favorite but my computer crashed. Ever tried to search "Parsley box" in the Competition Forum? 900+ threads later...
Anyone know which one I am talking about?

Buckshot Malone
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
http://divaq.ca/tag/bbq-parsley-box

Jeff

djqualls
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
+1

On Buckshot

Pig Headed
08-22-2012, 05:07 AM
My wife has been doing this method this year and it works out great. Buying parsley today for this weeks comp.

swamprb
08-22-2012, 05:22 AM
I've always done this method, but I used parchment paper as shown by Paul Ostrom on the Pickled Pig site, it has always worked for me. Then I attended a Smoke on Wheels class and Kim Groneman showed us how she pre makes the boxes and does "the flip" into the event turn in clamshells. BRILLIANT!!

New Pal Frank
08-22-2012, 05:38 AM
We have been doing the FLIP. Works great and very little touch up. We have passed it on to several teams and they like the idea of doing parsley at home. We keep the temp. boxes in a cooler with a little ice in zipper bags then FLIP on turn in day.

bbqdavarrow
08-22-2012, 06:21 AM
I've always done this method, but I used parchment paper as shown by Paul Ostrom on the Pickled Pig site, it has always worked for me. Then I attended a Smoke on Wheels class and Kim Groneman showed us how she pre makes the boxes and does "the flip" into the event turn in clamshells. BRILLIANT!!
I competed alone this past weekend and I tried this method. My daughter built the boxes for me, put them in the cooler and did the transfer and flip, works great :clap:

Shiz-Nit
08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
The flip?
Would you be so kind to give us some details? It would greatly be appreciated.

Sauced!
08-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Yep. We started this last year and it is the deal! Not nearly as much of a pain in the butt to make boxes when you can do them at home while watching tv. They dont seem nearly as tedious doing them at home as they do when doing them on site at a comp.

cpw
08-22-2012, 08:02 AM
The flip?
Would you be so kind to give us some details? It would greatly be appreciated.

Google "pickled pig putting green flip" and it'll come up.

mcbrew13
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
We have been doing this all year also. Way easier. We build in a temp styro box on plastic wrap and transfer to a tupperware that is about the same size. Put a moist paper towel between the layers. Little touch up.

Thanks Diva Q!

fweck
08-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks Buckshot Malone, that's the one, and boy were you quick :thumb:

Rich Parker
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I use DivaQ's method and will make my boxes the weekend before and they turn out great.

swamprb
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
My routine is to pick up my greens Wednesday or Thursday. I have a styrofoam Salmon shipping box and just leave the leaves exposed. Friday evening I'll tune in my favorite Rockabilly show http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shake-the-Shack-on-KEXP/48699667862
and get down to the boxes at the kitchen table.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Jack10/IMG_2586.jpg

@ an hour and the boxes are good until Sunday. All 4 boxes fit in the cooler and have never had any problem with wilting or drying out. I may toss a couple frozen gel paks in if the weather is going to be hot.

Alexa from RnQ has a very sweet way of doing boxes ahead of time and they take up way less space than my setup, and the only reason I haven't gone down that road is old habits are hard to break. You'll have to take their class to find that one out.

Pappy Q
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
What's next.....prepping meat at home?:wink:

swamprb
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
What's next.....prepping meat at home?:wink:

Anti-Parsley

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/PNWBA/McLendons/IMG_3769.jpg

fweck
08-23-2012, 11:00 AM
swamprb, what kind of green is that? Looks pretty :thumb:
I already bought my parsley last night, but the thing that I don't like about parsley during judging is the little pieces that come off with the meat that I have to pick off so I am not changing the flavor of what was submitted.