PDA

View Full Version : People's Choice pork

SCSmoke
08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
We are doing people's choice pork for the first time this weekend. I know its a bit last minute to be looking for advice but..... What if anything do you do different to your people's choice pork entry?

Coz
08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
For the folks who are reading this we will be turning it in for blind judging. I say give it your best pork in the pan. pays more then the category win !

Q-Dat
08-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Won two out of two people's choice events that we entered. We gave them a good coat of Tony Chachere's, and threw them on the UdS at 225* at about six or seven o clock in the evening and let them cook all night. In the morning when we weren't busy tending to the rest of the comp, we would wrap them in foil and crank the heat up to about 325 degrees and bring them up to 205 internal. Then we pulled them after a rest and mixed the meat with ALL of the liquid from the foil and enough sauce to give it a reddish color. Then we used yeast rolls from the bakery at Sam's which are cheap and good, and cut them to make mini sandwiches. They were a hit, and I know for a fact that nobody was even close to us in both People's Choice events. The fact that some others did not cook enough food also probably helped. :D

The high heat finish is HIGHLY recommended for this because it will render ALOT of fat into the foil. Don't seperate the juice from the fat, just mix it all in there. These are small sandwiches, so I don't think cholesterol is a concern here, and if it is then what the heck are these people doing sampling at a bbq cookoff!? You want all the flavor you can get from the pork, and you want it moist and almost but not quite, cooked to mush.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

RangerJ
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
@q-dat.. you were able to put a pork butt on your UDS at 7 PM and not hit 205 until sometime the next day?

I'd be serving pork briquettes....

Q-Dat
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Well I had six 8-9 lb butts in there. Three on each grate so it was crowded in there. Also I started a small minion fire and let the drum come up to temp with the meat in it so now that I think about it, it was probably 2-3 hours before the lid temp reached 225. When we foiled them at about 6:00 am they were all around 170* internal. It only took another couple of hours to finish them foiled in higher heat.

We just did it this way because it was the best way we had of getting a good end product with as little attention as possible because we were really trying to focus on ribs and chicken for the judges.

Untraceable
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
make sure you add liquid of your choice to your turn in pan. Those chaffin pan enviroments will dry out moist pork in a heartbeat. make sure your pork pops. add in some of your rub into the finished product to have that flavor come out.