PDA

View Full Version : Had ribs from Texas Roadhouse today.

Shadowdog500
08-18-2012, 04:51 PM
My wife and I had lunch at Texas Roadhouse today. I wasn't that hungry so my wife ordered a meal and I just used an e-coupon to get a free side of their legendary ribs. The ribs seemed like they were cooked in a crock pot, then glazed, then charred, you couldn't even pick up a rib without the bone falling out. They were mushy tender, had no smoke at all, and were covered with a charred sweet sticky sauce. They were free so I wasn't going to complain.

What really surprised me was the group of guys eating lunch at the next table were talking about how great their ribs were because the bones were falling out. Guess that is the target flavor profile for the average consumer?!

Chris

tish
08-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I think until you've been introduced to smoking your own at home, what else do you have to compare them to? That's what most folks are raised on... the Texas Roadhouse, Smokey Bones, Famous Dave's spots of the world. People don't know any better. :noidea:

El Ropo
08-18-2012, 05:03 PM
When you're used to eating fast food all the time, a nice mushy beef rib is pretty darn good. :twitch::mmph:

Bludawg
08-18-2012, 05:07 PM
They braise them in the oven I'm not a fan of bland meat Jello.

I like Bigbutts
08-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Because of the wonderful site I strive for that "bite through" rib....but when I tell most of my friends they look at me funny cause fall of the bone is the majority standard.....

CarlWayne
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM
After I started Qing at home I don't go out and eat anything that I can't cook myself. I'm not saying mine is better but it's what it should taste like instead of what you said "mush" even when I go to steak houses I'm disappointed because I always feel like I could have done it better. I sound pretty cocky which I'm not I guess it's just the way it is or I am.

CarlWayne
08-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Also I put in time and effort to make my family a good meal. Those people probably get paid 10 bucks or so an hour to make food all day. They prolly don't give a rats ass what it taste like. Haha

Q-Dat
08-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Now I'm not sure what they use it for, but I'm pretty sure that our Texas Roadhouse has a Southern Pride smoker.

caseydog
08-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Texas Roadhouse offers a pretty darn good steak for the money. I like their ribeyes. They have good sides, salads and cold beer, too.

I've never tried their ribs, and can't imagine ordering them. They are not a BBQ restaurant.

CD

Wesman61
08-18-2012, 08:56 PM
I have had ribs at Daves that weren't falling off the bone but those mushy ribs at Texas Roadhouse are for the birds. I have tried to get a Buddy to see it this way but he is set on his ribs being mushy.

Gore
08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Dang, I see these all the time and never been. I guess I better put this on my list of new places I gotta try ... along with Applebees, Cracker Barrel, and a bunch of others I see lining the highways. Hope I make it before these places go out of business.

Shadowdog500
08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Dang, I see these all the time and never been. I guess I better put this on my list of new places I gotta try ... along with Applebees, Cracker Barrel, and a bunch of others I see lining the highways. Hope I make it before these places go out of business.

Texas roadhouse isn't going out of business anytime soon. I may not like their ribs, but IMHO they have one of the best value and tasting ribeyes that I know of, and the complete ribeye dinner ranges from 12 to 20 something depending how thick a cut you want. Whenever I go to a steak place, in my mind I compare the steak to Texas roadhouse. I even did this in Ruth Chris, the palm, and Morton steak house.!

My wife and I can have two steak dinners with loaded baked potatoes, and a 22 oz draft beer split between us(not big drinkers) for between $40 to $50 including a 20% tip. We usually eat there once a month.

Chris

Ye Olde Party Palace
08-18-2012, 10:08 PM
My lady and I ate at a local chain bbq rest. earlier this spring called Bandanas. We had both ordered the brisket and pork plates. When we took our first bites, we both looked at each other and agreed "Not as good as mine". We are so used to the good meats off of my smoker, that the rest just don't equal up. :shock: :-o

caseydog
08-19-2012, 12:30 AM

I am in agreement with you on Applebees and, even worse, Outback farking Steakhouse. But, Texas Roadhouse really does do a pretty good ribeye steak. I've had it several times in several cities, and have not had a bad steak yet.

When you travel like we do, you look for places that you can count on to deliver a consistently decent product at the end of a long, hard day, and so far, I have been satisfied with Texas Roadhouse.

But, again, they are not a BBQ joint. Go for a salad, a steak, and a baked potato dinner, and I think you will feel you got a darned good meal for your money. Just pretend they don't have ribs on the menu.

CD

fingerlickin'
08-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I ordered a filet done medium at Texas Roadhouse once. It was moo'ing like a mofo. So I sent it back of course. Which I really, really, really hate to do. They butterflied that mother and sent it back farking black. You got to be chitting me. I thought this place was a steakhouse? The manager comped us desert. I wanted to punch him, I was so angry. One time, last time.

Dallas Dan
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Texas Roadkill. They give the word "Texas" a bad name. :roll:

Bill-Chicago
08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
What really surprised me was the group of guys eating lunch at the next table were talking about how great their ribs were because the bones were falling out. Guess that is the target flavor profile for the average consumer?!

Sounds like authentic Texas barbecue to me!