PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Smithfield Ribs

Pack-A-Smokes
08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
We have been confounded by Sam's ribs for a while now. We really liked the IBP ribs that our Sam's here in East TN had then they changed them to Smithfield. They were OK for a while and then the quality went down hill fast. We would buy 6-9 racks and it would take that many to get enough to turn in.
Last year we were in Greensboro, NC Sam's Local and we had used the Smithfield. The Sam's Club General Manager came by and gave me a hard time because I had Kirkland's (Costco) cooking spray sitting on my smoker. I then proceeded to give him down the road about Smithfield ribs. We took a top five in ribs and GC overall so I told him I had no problem eating my words.
This year when we have used the Sam's Smithfield ribs, we usually get one good rack and two not so good racks. This past weekend the middle rack of each pack had a cut straight down the middle of the top or the rack. That was two racks we could not use!
We complained to the local Sam's and the "Fresh Manager" contacted us and said he was trying to change but needed ammunition. We told him our story about how we could not use such ribs and also our problem of actually getting ribs at our local Sam's. So far this has not helped our cause.
Has anyone else had this problem with Smithfield ribs? I personally hate them, but at this point there is not another place local that I can buy ribs that are not frozen or already injected with "enhancing juices".

Pappy Q
08-16-2012, 07:05 AM
My local SAMs in east Louisville hasn't had ANY ribs all summer long. 1 or 2 packs of butts and 1 or 2 whole packers. The last several years they had good supply and quality, don't know what happened this year.

Sledneck
08-16-2012, 07:13 AM
All of my local clubs up until last week had prairie fresh,i loved them. they dropped them and now they have ibp. I hate them. I July i used the smith fields in Troy ny, I thought they sucked

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
+1 smithfield ribs suck

Rich Parker
08-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Last two years my local Sam's Club had nice consistent IBP spares and pork butts. This year it has been hit or miss with whatever they can buy the cheapest. Lately they have been putting their label on Farmland ribs and they look awful.

Trucky1008
08-16-2012, 11:46 AM
All of my local clubs up until last week had prairie fresh,i loved them. they dropped them and now they have ibp. I hate them. I July i used the smith fields in Troy ny, I thought they sucked

My Sam's Club normally carries IBP but last year for a few weeks all they had was Prairie Fresh. I used the Prairie Fresh in 2 comps and finished 1st and 2nd in ribs. They've since gone back to IBP. I want Prairie Fresh back!!

Pack-A-Smokes
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
The Prairie Fresh is what we have been begging them to carry. They have been telling us that it is only a back up when they can't get Smithfield. Told them it needs to be the other way around. I am at the point of considering from an online company.

Buckscent
08-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Real stupid question.... What does IBP mean...

Teamfour
08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
IBP was formerly known as Iowa Beef Processors but is now Tyson Fresh Meats. This could be the reason that Sam's doesn't carry them anymore.

smokeworker
08-16-2012, 07:34 PM
last week in pittsburgh I settled for the crap at the sam's comp event site. I honestly didnt think We had a chance to advance in our first major competition. I have used Sam's ribs from youngstown plenty of times for catering, and just figured they would be fine. We got a call in chicken and brisket and totally tanked in ribs! the baby backs were amazingly small, and the spares had no meat on them with every bone bent to one side or the other. My fault for not giving myself a chance by getting my ribs at my butcher.........

Sledneck
08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
My Sam's Club normally carries IBP but last year for a few weeks all they had was Prairie Fresh. I used the Prairie Fresh in 2 comps and finished 1st and 2nd in ribs. They've since gone back to IBP. I want Prairie Fresh back!!

Prairie fresh told me today that stores will be carrying the prairie fresh in September . I did manage to find some today for this weekend contest at a supermarket chain. They were individually wrapped which I ve never seen before. I liked that.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I liked Excel brand better than IBP, and Prairie Fresh is OK too! Our local Sams used to carry Excel exclusively and now it's hit and miss.

Rub
08-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I usually try to avoid Smithfield ribs but had to use them in Franklin. Was fortunate to get some good ones and pull a 2nd.

Captain P.J.
08-17-2012, 07:01 PM
My local Sam's has been carrying "FarmLand" ribs which are really hit or miss (more miss really)! Luckily, I can get "Swift" brand ribs if I order them a few days before I need them.

Ashmont
08-17-2012, 07:33 PM
As a partime famer I can tell you that farmers are dumping everything due to the midwest dought. Two things are going to happen... Hit or miss meat and high prices starting Nov Dec. Pork and beef! Until we get some good rain it will take some time to recover.

Q-Dat
08-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Question for the folks that are liking the Prairie Fresh.

Do you guys not have the same trouble with the bones being cut too short on them? All of the ones that I have used or just looked at in the case are very short. So short that you could actually place two seperate rows in a box if you wanted to. And this is definitely not my imagination or isolated instances. I look at them quite often, and they have short bones every time. Every.....single.....time!

Pack-A-Smokes
08-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Question for the folks that are liking the Prairie Fresh.

Do you guys not have the same trouble with the bones being cut too short on them? All of the ones that I have used or just looked at in the case are very short. So short that you could actually place two seperate rows in a box if you wanted to. And this is definitely not my imagination or isolated instances. I look at them quite often, and they have short bones every time. Every.....single.....time!

What few Prairie Fresh I have used, I did notice some racks that looked cut short. That being said, I would rather have ribs cut a bit short than to have something that looked like it has already been chewed up.

dhuffjr
08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Real stupid question.... What does IBP mean...

I'm bullet proof...... holy crap those cryo's for IBP are thick and tough. Toughest cryobag I've encountered.

landarc
08-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Smithfields really are bad, and I agree that almost every three pack I have bought, the middle rack is mangled or has a unfortunate slice, I consider it dishonest on their part. I think they package them that way to sell miscuts at full price. For me, Farmer John's are in the same boat, terrible product.

I do like Excel and Prairie Fresh when I see them.

Q-Dat
08-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Save A Lot here sells Excel ribs. They are next on my list to try.