View Full Version : Need help with Pork Box

08-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey Brethren!

I posted my pics earlier and received some very good feedback. One thing that I am having trouble with (might just be in my head) is assembling a good pork box. I have looked everywhere (Youtube, google, etc...) and can't really come up with much.

I googled "Rate my Box" and came across a great site with box pictures. Awesome tool for noobs such as myself to show presentations skills and to see what CBJ's like and dislike.

I see people talk about chopped, pulled, and sliced. I think I know where most of each category comes from, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Sliced - Money Muscle. Opposite end of the bone.
Pulled - I take it from the meat around the bone.
Chopped - Not sure to be honest

Most everything I see on Youtube, pitmasters are discarding the "middle portion" of the butt.

Please shed some light on this for me. Here is my most recent entry.

08-15-2012, 04:37 PM
clean up the parsley, meat looks dry, pulled should have some order to it if you use hunks that large

08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Check out my video on www.bbqsuperstars.com bkbbq should be on home page.

08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't use meat around the bone. I think it tastes funny and has a dark appearance. Do others use bone meat?

Eggspert BBQ

08-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I put my slices in the back, and what I call "chunky pulled" in the front. Your box and selection look pretty excellent. I try and use mostly pulled that includes bark. I try and stay away from stringy looking pieces. You might add a little sauce or jous from the pan/foil into a pan and mix with the chunks. I use a gravy separator to keep the fat out. I usually try and mound it kind of an oval when I put it in the box. The size and shapes you have in your box look excellent, just need more barky pieces showing. You slices look good. They need to be centered in your box better. And the slices should have equal or symmetrical showing of the "face" of the slice when you lay them in the box. It's hard to tell how thick your slices are, but they kind of look a little thick. I try and keep mine 1/2", but that sometimes depends on how the meat comes out. Your parsley is a litte sparse on the left middle side. You might try using a lettuce base. See instructions on DivaQ's website. One trick I use is to take a picture of the box before I turn it in. Somehow, I can spot flaws in layout, symmetry, and parsley eveness better in a still picture. Best of luck my friend!

08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
If you want to see LOTS of photos of turn-in boxes check out the following site:
http://www.bbqcritic.com/index.html (http://www.bbqcritic.com/index.html)

Good luck!