PDA

View Full Version : Comp Trailer or Camper?

Outnumbered
08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I've been looking for a camper that I can use at comps, in addition to some occasional camping trips with the family.

But I ran across this yesterday on Craig's List and it looks pretty cool. The price is right in the ballpark, too.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/3202945268.html

What do you think? This or a camper? How would you customize it if you had something like this?

I'm thinking we'd add bunks for sure, and probably make the enclosed section a little bigger than the 12' area now and reduce the 10' open space.

ThomEmery
08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I would look very closely at the construction of it
Seems like it would work but.....
Homemade only as good as the chef ;0)

4uweque
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
The axles appear to be house trailer axles, limits the wheel and tire choices pretty severely. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you're 300 miles from home and accidentally ruin 2 wheels and tires, they aren't as easy to find as regular wheels.

Teamfour
08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
That looks like regular pressure treated lumber. I would check the weight of that rig closely.

crd26a
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd check the weight as well then think of what you're going to be loading on there for each comp - and remember, meat weight, water weight, ice, etc. And I'd estimate over what I really think it weights. If you're okay with that and that you're rig can pull it (plus the tires & home made issue above is okay....

rksylves
08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
It looks like he uses #2 spruce for contruction. Lightweight, but doesn't hold a nail worth a carp. If he used nails, I would be very concerned about nails working loose as it rools down the highways and byways. House construction was never intended for speed bumps and potholes. If he didn't use screws, then I would pass.

Russ

CivilWarBBQ
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Any cook trailer is an execise in compromise, even more so if you try to multi-task as a family camper. I'd suggest that you concede that and concentrate on finding a dedicated trailer for comps and come up with another solution for family camping trips. Think of using a cook trailer for familiy camping like sleeping on the fold-out sofa in your in-laws living room: you can make it work for a night or two, but it is far from the ideal recipe for a fun vacation.

Many campers are only used for a couple weeks each year, so you can probably find a source that will loan/rent you theirs for those occasional trips.

Crawgator
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd prefer commercial built. Check out work and play type campers. They are essentially cargo trailers with living quarters in front and storage in back. Heavy duty that can handle the weight of cookers easily.

Kenny Rogers
08-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I did 'em both... but if I had to choose, I'd get the camper, and make it a good one you could use year round... the wife will be happier, and as they say... happy wife! Happy life!

This Is How We Que It
08-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Check out work and plays by play-mor. Just remember always go bigger then what you think you will need. The trailer above I don't have a good feeling about.

Goddahavit
08-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I haven't seen a nice toy hauler in that price range, but you might find one.

For comps i would love a porch trailer like an extreem or such, but we wound up with a small toyhauler, and like everyone says happy wife, is a happy family...

gooose53
08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I have been looking for the best of both worlds as well. I have two ideas that work for both. A toyhauler (5th wheel) and a Keystone Outback (23krs & 28krs) - fits both the comp cooks and allows you to take a vacation in comfort.

The Cosmic Pig
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
You can get a bare - bones 20' BBQ porch trailer for around $7K. As someone else said, 2 x 4 construction is not really suited to road travel. I would be very leary, my friend.

Divemaster
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
We started out with a simple 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. Used it for close to 5 years and we made it work.

This year we picked up a 32 foot 5th wheel toy hauler and what a difference! Real beds, shower, refrigerator, sink, HOT WATER. Ours has a 10 foot garage so it's more than enough space to load and unload every thing for a comp. In fact, the garage also has a queen size bed that lowers down from the roof.

If I had know it would be this nice, I would have picked it up 4 years ago!

DocStl
08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I used a 2009 Ourback 230rs for the last 3 years. garage in front for all my cookers. when unloaded I setup a prep table for meats. move prep table and you have a queen size bed, the other end slides out a king size bed. then you have couch and table sleepers. worked well for us

porkingINpublic
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as you... Can't decide which route to go... The luxury of a camper would be great but I'm also trying to get Health Dept certified to cater events. From what Ive seen it's easier to set up catering in an enclosed trailer...

Pitmaster T
08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Pitmaster T Build Series - Funkotorium Project Part 1 (Intro) - YouTube

Some of you might remember I bought the Funkotrium for 500. I spent more than a year ripping it to shreds and trying to make it a vendor trailer. I did bu7t had to leav eit when I moved. Here's what I would do. Essentially, as I had done many, many comps and fairs before I wanted a few things in addition to a kitchen.

One was a place to nap in total comfort, get drunk, use the computer, look out the window, watch TV or movies or put the kids down. Okay thats not hard to do with a toy hauler.... next I wanted... and this was a biggy, a place to **** and shower and shave. The Camper has both of these. Many RV places have leaky or wrecked ones for cheap... after all, its the parts you need.

However..... go out and buy a toy hauler.... and a partially wrecked camper. Gut the camper of its decorative elements in the bedroom, waterpumps, shower stall, water heater, water and waste tanks, 12 volt power supply, lav.... shower head and build you some nice walls in your toy hauler and fill it with all the stuff ripped from the camper.

If I had it all to do over again this is what I'd do... plus... I would not have to worry about it falling apart because as I worked on converting that camper... those damn things are put together cheap!

Outnumbered
08-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the insight. You've given me lots to think about here. One other factor I need to consider is that one of our teammates has a camper, too. We have been using that, so maybe I really don't need one. I can get by with a toyhauler or trailer, and then we can usually find a campsite nearby where we're competing.