smokin' aces
Chubby hubby BBQ
Purple Pork Masters
Mommapajama's BBQ
Can't Stop Grillin'
NICE RACK II

Sledneck
08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
For those coming on from out of the area, this pizza joint is nearby and not to bad http://www.medfordpastaria.com the place in the shopping center behind the sams club called pizza corner sucks

Sledneck
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Bbqbrethren is out

timzcardz
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Dang!

Looking at the competition here I should have gone to New Paltz!

Nah, Too many good people here to see again . . . and Sledneck too. :wink:

MAsQue
08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Looking at the competition here I should have gone to New Paltz!

I didn't want to drive to Virginia anyway...

Westexbbq
08-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I have rels in Va, tidewater area and down there they sell Shiner!!

Bringing the A game.

(but that's a given....)

CBQ
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Since poobah says he isn't going, that's 26 teams. (or is the Brethen team in?) Anyone know how many will advance?

MAsQue
08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Since poobah says he isn't going, that's 26 teams. (or is the Brethen team in?) Anyone know how many will advance?

Six.

Sledneck
08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Sledcast

Sunny 82 fri
Sunny 80 sat

Clear upper 60 at night slight chance of small thunderstorm overnite.

Jaskew82
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't think SMO' Q will be there either. Dylan cannot make it and I don't have a tent or tables.

Mornin' Wood
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Sledcast rules!
Especially this one.

Sledneck
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't think SMO' Q will be there either. Dylan cannot make it and I don't have a tent or tables.

Im sure you can be accommodated

scm1226
08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I think it will be great not sweating my Arse this weekend.
BTW- Sams club manager had no idea what was happening this weekend. He thought we were selling our BBQ. My father told him electric, water, and beer. hopefully KCBS will be coming in to tell them what they need before Friday afternoon.

MAsQue
08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
BTW- Sams club manager had no idea what was happening this weekend. He thought we were selling our BBQ. My father told him electric, water, and beer. hopefully KCBS will be coming in to tell them what they need before Friday afternoon.

This does not bode well.

Sledneck
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Could care less about the manager oR the water electric as long as the checkbook is there

timzcardz
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
This does not bode well.

Why?

The store manager is there to manage the store, and shold have nothing to do with the competiton.

But if your concerned, then it's probably best that you stay home.:wink:

MAsQue
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
But if your concerned, then it's probably best that you stay home.:wink:

Nice try there, Tim. But you're probably right, there is probably some person or group that goes from place to place running the contests for the chain. Hadn't thought it through.

bbqdavarrow
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
what is the earliest we can set-up?

Jaskew82
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
So if the pitmaster of the team signing up is not at the event, how does that work? I should have been on the entry form with Dylan (Smo' Q) but he won't be able to make it. Can I still compete under SMO' Q or would a new entry be required?

Sledneck
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
So if the pitmaster of the team signing up is not at the event, how does that work? I should have been on the entry form with Dylan (Smo' Q) but he won't be able to make it. Can I still compete under SMO' Q or would a new entry be required?

Just have dylan email kcbs that your taking the entry and to list you as the pitmaster, you can change team name if you wish

Jaskew82
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Well they didn't want me changing the team name but they put me as pitmaster.

Heads up Medford, looks like you got a rookie gunning for DAL this weekend!

Westexbbq
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
what is the earliest we can set-up?

Per the rules link, "official load in time is 8am on Friday.
Meat inspection 9am to 4pm.
official power time, friday noon to Sat.5pm/
Mandatory cooks meeting Friday at 5pm.
Judges meeting 10:30 am Sat.
Film at eleven.

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
HOW DOES the wing competition work at SAMS? I IMAGINE TYSON supplies the wings? or do we supply our own wings...

Westexbbq
08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
HOW DOES the wing competition work at SAMS? I IMAGINE TYSON supplies the wings? or do we supply our own wings...

Here is an email I got, looks like it goes on the same time around turn ins.
Kind of a conflict for us.

To: Administrator <ctaylor@mmacreative.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 12, 2012 4:14 pm
Subject: Need BBQ Team for PAID Cooking/Sampling Opportunity in Medford, NY this Saturday, August 18th

Hello New York BBQ Team,

I am sending this email to your BBQ Team to see if you would be interested in cooking for Tyson with your team at the 24th stop on the Samís National BBQ Tour in Medford, NY this Saturday, August 18, 2012. If you are already competing at this event (Samís Club National BBQ Tour), you can still help out (depending on how many people are on your team/etc.)

As you may or may not know, Tyson is hosting a competition this year- Tysonís Best Chicken Wing on the Planet- at all the Samís Tour Local, Regional and National Tour stops which will include a fully branded 10íx20í sampling tent area where we will have a BBQ team grill up Tyson pre-flavored chicken wings. It is very simple activation, as you will just be cooking frozen, pre-cooked Tyson chicken wings (2 or 3 different flavors). This will be outside in the Samís parking lot area near the BBQ Competition going on. We have found from previous teams that the best cooking set up is (1-2) large 6ft. commercial grills- (like the ones sold @ Samís Club). Smokers do not work well on these wings and are not recommended. I can send you a few pictures of good grill examples if needed. We have the tent, tables, aprons and signage already.

*We will pay you with a generous compensationfor your efforts, as well as take care of the meat, supplies and expenses (You will just need to supply your grilling/cooking apparatus /cambro/manpower to cook/sample meat) The teams we have hired for the last few events to help with this had a great time and are eager to participate again in their respective markets.

I would love to touch base with you soon since the event is this weekend. Please email me back with a good contact number for you and time to call about this opportunity since event is this weekend!

A few other details:
Setup: Friday afternoon, August 17th- will discuss time with interested teams over phone. Area needs to be completely set up by 8am on Saturday so you can start cooking wings and putting in cambros/etc.
Official Sampling Time: Saturday: August 18th, 10:30- 3:30pm

I will email more details/pictures/diagrams if you are interested in this opportunity. I make a goal to replay back to everyone within 24 hours. We only need one team for this job so it is a first come, first serve opportunity- please respond via email and give best contact phone number for me to follow up with you-

Thank you!
Casey

Casey Taylor Johns
Account Executive

cell | 901.240.7286
fax | 615.297.6286

timzcardz
08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Wes, that email is not about the wing competition.

Fatback Joe
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
The sampling is different from the wing contest.

Wing contest you supply your own wings. In Pittsburgh, they inspected them the same time as the KCBS meats. KCBS scoring, but no garnish allowed. Turn in time was 2:30 for the wings.........not much info was given until the cook's meeting.

Good luck!

scm1226
08-15-2012, 11:19 AM
The sampling is different from the wing contest.

Wing contest you supply your own wings. In Pittsburgh, they inspected them the same time as the KCBS meats. KCBS scoring, but no garnish allowed. Turn in time was 2:30 for the wings.........not much info was given until the cook's meeting.

Good luck!

Can they be fried? Or do they need to be cooked as per KCBS rules? Not much info on this. Guess we will see friday night.

Fatback Joe
08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Can they be fried? Or do they need to be cooked as per KCBS rules? Not much info on this. Guess we will see friday night.

I can't find it now, but I had read somewhere that they can be cooked any way you like, but don't hold me to that. I know I was considering frying then changed my mind and just did them in the smoker.

I don't recall now what they said at the meeting since I had already abandoned my fry plan.

You definitely supply your own wings, KCBS judging, and no garnish allowed.

Westexbbq
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I must be having a blonde sixties moment, :tumbleweed:
sorry for the confusion.:noidea:

Sledneck
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
No electric or gas for wings

Mornin' Wood
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Make sure you stop by Mornin' Wood and say hi. It is our first year competing.... We are still getting the hang of things. We can compete for DAL.

motoeric
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey,

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but if any competitor would like a CBJ available for their opinions prior to turn-ins, let me know.

I'm sure that I can get a local, experienced judge who would be happy to help with tastings, thoughts on turn-in boxes, etc.

It may be worth it, it may not but it probably wouldn't hurt to have someone who could have easily been judging the event offering you their opinions prior to it hitting the turn-in table.

I have a pretty large list of judges and I'd be happy to reach out to them if you think it would help.

Eric

Mornin' Wood
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey,

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but if any competitor would like a CBJ available for their opinions prior to turn-ins, let me know.

I'm sure that I can get a local, experienced judge who would be happy to help with tastings, thoughts on turn-in boxes, etc.

It may be worth it, it may not but it probably wouldn't hurt to have someone who could have easily been judging the event offering you their opinions prior to it hitting the turn-in table.

I have a pretty large list of judges and I'd be happy to reach out to them if you think it would help.

Eric

Sounds great to me! We can use all the help we can get. Feel free to send them my way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

motoeric
08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Ok, I have a judge for Morning Wood (that just sounds wrong).

If any other teams would like a stand-by CBJ, please let me know.

Eric

MilitantSquatter
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
sounds like a nice idea on the surface but I'd be careful.

you need to be in control...having an additional body, especially a stranger with a judge # in your tent can easily throw off your gameplan... Last thing you want is a stranger at the last minute looking over your shoulder telling you "too salty, too sweet, too spicy, need more sauce, missed a spot with the parsely, don't put your ribs like that"...

Sledneck
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Thoughtful but simply a bad idea

motoeric
08-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Thoughtful but simply a bad idea

Yawn

scm1226
08-16-2012, 07:19 AM
I think we need an updated Sledcast. Well unless those guys that are always wrong are still wrong.

Sledneck
08-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Sledcast
Friday

Clear in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 88F. Winds from the SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. Low of 72F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the NW after midnight. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Saturday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 81F. Winds from the NW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the WSW in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40% with rainfall amounts near 0.3 in. possible.
Saturday Night

Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 61F. Winds from the West at 5 to 15 mph shifting to the North after midnight.

Jaskew82
08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I love the idea of the judge but wouldn't want them tasting anything until after turn ins because it might throw me off.

boogiesnap
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
either way, at that point there isn't much could be done anyway. might as well just hand it to the event judges and let them score for real.

nice thought though.

Jaskew82
08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
For what it's worth, don't use google maps for the address. It drops you at someone's house! Looks like its a bit farther down the road next to a target!

TheJackal
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
either way, at that point there isn't much could be done anyway. might as well just hand it to the event judges and let them score for real.

nice thought though.

I agree that it's probably not the best idea but at least you could get some honest feedback from someone other than friends, family, or the team next to you who always says 'It's good'. In 4 years of competing we've only ever received 2 comment cards. I've heard of some teams never getting any and others that get 3 in a weekend! We got a 555 in brisket at BOTBB with no comment card! I don't think the idea would even be considered if judges gave comment cards on a more consistent basis.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey,

Eric

Nice Gesture, but a real bad idea at a qualifying event that people have invested their time and money into getting too. As far as the teams go that might accept this offer, if the judge gives you bad advice or has no taste for bbq and is the one people always refer to as judge number 6, you wasted your morning. Take a class from known winners. This idea is cool at a small event but not a qualifier where there are real things at stake.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm gonna be honest with you. I am not sure they will even go for that at the Sams event. they were pretty strict about who you had on your team.

CBQ
08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Sledcast

Hot, humid, and uncomfortable. Whee. My RV with the blown engine will be ready on Friday...not in time for Medford. Just in time for the 1 month gap when I have no contests, having just cooked 5 in a row.

Hey, at least I saved money on my first oil change by replacing the engine instead. (Only 4k miles on it.) :becky:

boogiesnap
08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
I agree that it's probably not the best idea but at least you could get some honest feedback from someone other than friends, family, or the team next to you who always says 'It's good'. In 4 years of competing we've only ever received 2 comment cards. I've heard of some teams never getting any and others that get 3 in a weekend! We got a 555 in brisket at BOTBB with no comment card! I don't think the idea would even be considered if judges gave comment cards on a more consistent basis.

i'm on board with that approach.

timzcardz
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
For what it's worth, don't use google maps for the address. It drops you at someone's house! Looks like its a bit farther down the road next to a target!

Huh?

I just dropped the addreess into google maps and it shows up at the front door of Sam's.

MikeR
08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow- I can't wait to show you guys my new apron! :behindsofa:

Jaskew82
08-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Huh?

I just dropped the addreess into google maps and it shows up at the front door of Sam's.

Well, google doesn't like me I guess.

Frank Sacco
08-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, good doesn't like me I guess.

Once you get on the LIE, take Exit 64 (Rt 112 North) to Horseblock Rd (turn right). Drive approx 1500ft and turn right into the parking lot of Sams. Very accessible from the LIE. In moderate traffic, You're looking at an hours drive from NYC and also the same from the Orient PT Ferry.

In one of Sleds earlier posts he mentioned the Medford Pastaria as an option for dinner. I would also like to add Cafe' Gia, a five minute drive around the corner from the event. By far a hidden gem on the local restaurant scene.

scm1226
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
What time is everyone showing up tomorrow? We gonna get there around noon :

Sledneck
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm here set up already

Anchors Smokeshop
08-16-2012, 05:06 PM
:hand:I'm here set up already

Are there any douchey teams there yet?
(It will be weak if you refer to my team in your response)

BlazinSS934
08-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Just curious when are turn ins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwy hawk
08-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Just wondering Is This open to the public and is there any venders serving food. I'd like to come check it out.

Thanks
Tony
Road Runner BBQ

MikeR
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Turn in times

CHICKEN NOON
PORK RIBS 12:30 pm
PORK 1:00 pm
BEEF BRISKET 1:30 pm

No vendors but I believe Tyson may have samples of chicken wings available.

Frank Sacco
08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I've already made two trips to the event with equipment! My meats been inspected, I ran electricity to my site and Sleds. Between the two of us we have enough hose to run from the spigot to the sites. No bucket parades for us, just be sure to bring your "Y" connector.

Early bird gets the worm!

ique
08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I've already made two trips to the event with equipment! My meats been inspected, I ran electricity to my site and Sleds. Between the two of us we have enough hose to run from the spigot to the sites. No bucket parades for us, just be sure to bring your "Y" connector.

Early bird gets the worm!

Do they have prize money for best situated site?

Frank Sacco
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Do they have prize money for best situated site?

Checks already written my friend... :bow:

Red Valley BBQ
08-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Just wondering Is This open to the public and is there any venders serving food. I'd like to come check it out.

The events are always open to the public with no admission. There are a few companies there handing out samples. Tyson (wings), Grillmaster Experience (steak), KC Masterpiece (pork loin and pork sliders) and Coke were in Pittsburgh hand out samples. There was one more company there handing out samples (bacon-pineapple sausage or maybe kielbasa), but I'm not sure who it was. I didn't get to walk around much.

Westexbbq
08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Guess I'll load up now and get next to Sled and Frank.

Frank Sacco
08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Seriously, we'll see you all sometime before noon.

Sledneck
08-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Seriously, we'll see you all sometime before noon.

Can you scope out the store when you get there for chicken , ribs, pork butts and briskets? Brisket flats are fine. This way i don't have to stop,also parsley

Bob S
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Can you scope out the store when you get there for chicken , ribs, pork butts and briskets? Brisket flats are fine. This way i don't have to stop,also parsley

Will you need any paper towels, aluminum foil, half pans, toilet paper, saran wrap, beer, fish sticks, A-1, ketchup, mustard, or a big screen TV? Just give us your shopping list. :blah:

motoeric
08-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Some pretty serious rain and wind just blew through my neighborhood heading east.

I hope everyone's ok in Medford. Not WilliePallooza bad, but certainly not good. Not what you want to wake up to at 3:30 in the morning.

Eric

timzcardz
08-18-2012, 07:40 AM
everyone's fine. We,ve been having some pretty good rain for the last several hours.

boogiesnap
08-18-2012, 08:40 AM
great to hear everyone is OK. it was pretty nasty up here for a while.

can anybody swing by jaskew's site for me? it's his first time and he's solo i think.

biggs98
08-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Its not a LI comp if rain isn't involved

motoeric
08-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have the results for the chicken wings?

Eric

CBQ
08-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Not exactly. 3rd was it? Congrats!

CBQ
08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have the results for the chicken wings?

Eric

1) Fire & Spice
2) Gotham City Grillers
3) Smokin' Irish

boogiesnap
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Not exactly. 3rd was it? Congrats!

i know right!

and BTW, that was justin's program 100%, not mine. i know we cook for pride as much as other reasons so it's worth mentioning.

Jaskew82
08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. I had a blast - even though the rain was horrible. I need to thank the guys from Purple Pork Master's though. They gave me pointers and even helped me unload/reload my Backwoods from the pick up truck! Tons of visitors to the site welcoming me to competition. It's amazing how many great people are at these events!

Sledneck
08-19-2012, 09:44 AM
i know right!

and BTW, that was justin's program 100%, not mine. i know we cook for pride as much as other reasons so it's worth mentioning.
Basically, you're fired!

boogiesnap
08-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Basically, you're fired!

if i could quote from another thread....

looks like you were too. :razz:

maybe we could start a team, "two fired butts".:mrgreen:

Sledneck
08-19-2012, 09:56 AM
if i could quote from another thread....

looks like you were too. :razz:

maybe we could start a team, "two fired butts".:mrgreen:

Matt said i wasnt fired but he gets to kick me in the nuts

boogiesnap
08-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Matt said i wasnt fired but he gets to kick me in the nuts

fair enough, but check the new london roll call. :twisted:

it's all good, i'm done anyway.

my sincerest congrats to all who are moving on a cooked through the storm!

CBQ
08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. I had a blast

Yeah, at 6AM you were sticking with "This sucks!", but maybe got a little better at 3:45PM. :mrgreen:

Just get some walls for that tent.

Jaskew82
08-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah, at 6AM you were sticking with "This sucks!", but maybe got a little better at 3:45PM. :mrgreen:

Just get some walls for that tent.

Chris, you are right. That tent isn't even mine - I borrowed it from I guy I do business with. Maybe I can just come over and hang with you in the RV at Chesapeake!

boogiesnap
08-19-2012, 12:54 PM
OMG, you didn't even have walls??? fark, that's hardcore fella.

i've got equipment available, including the stoker. PM if you're interested, you know what it all is.

CBQ
08-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Chris, you are right. That tent isn't even mine - I borrowed it from I guy I do business with. Maybe I can just come over and hang with you in the RV at Chesapeake!

Yeah, the RV couldn't handle Vermont, let's see if it makes it to Virgina first. :doh: