PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea - Help me price this please

snyper77
08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I've got a Lang 60 Deluxe w/40" Chargrill. I'm thinking about doing (local) on-location cooks where the HOST will supply everything. I will just supply the cooker and my cooking skills to prepare the food they supply.

Please give me an idea of what you would charge for such. If you are concerned about how many hours of my time - lets say 10-12.

Thanks all!

toadhunter911
08-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Depends on what you think your time is worth. Also, not sure I'd put my reputation on the line with someone else buying the supplies.

bbqbull
08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
When I did some catering jobs I always purchased the meat and it was iced down within 20 minutes. I trust nobody.
Also you need to check on health dept regulations and I would beg you to get caterer's insurance to protect you. This is a must.

snyper77
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I agree - I'll make sure I manage the purchase/handling of the meat. Just for my labor and my Lang, would you say it's worth $300/day? $500/day?

42BBQ
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Just for your time and expertise, cooking a full Lang 60 worth of que, I'd say no lower than $200 and that doesn't include meat costs. Probably no lower than $250 you gotta figure time, plus travel, wear and tear on your vehicle etc. if I leave my family for a whole day, and get up at 0 dark thirty to bust my arse smoking meat for 12 hours, my arse needs to get paid!

snyper77
08-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna go with $300. I'm breaking it down as follows:

10 hours of time for $300 = $30/hr.

$30/hr. for a $5000 cooker and an experienced BBQ cook = $15/hr. per item

I figure $15/hr. for Lang rental and for a cook's time is very fair. ;)

MAP
08-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Are you providing the wood or are you going to have them provide it?

HBMTN
08-19-2012, 05:27 PM
In Virginia what you are doing would be considered catering and would not be legal without a HD Inspected Kitchen. Check with your state to make sure it is legal.

snyper77
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
MAP - yes, I'm providing wood - but wood is VERY abundant and free in Alabama. Oak, hickory, pecan, etc. I just take my trailer and Stihl saw and get all I want. ;)
HBMTN - yes, I need to call the HD and check local laws. Thanks!

PorkQPine
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
You are walking into trouble when you say you are 'thinking' of doing cooks with the host providing all the meat. I don't really understand why you would think about this business plan unless you plan on only doing charity cooks. Once you start charging you are a caterer or at the very least a Chef for Hire and need insurance and control of the meats from purchase to service. The wood is not free, you have to drive over to the logs, cut them up to size and bring them back. If purchasing the meat is an issue then have the client pay the catering bill up front. I never cater and chase the client around the party trying to get paid. I get the final count 10 days prior to the event and the bill is due then or no cater. Simple, I am not a restaurant who can pull product from inventory and once I cook it there is nothing I can do with it except call the kids to come over and pick up food. Everyone has to decide if they are a business or good 'ol uncle Joe the BBQ dude.

Terrible Tom
09-09-2012, 07:19 AM
MAP - yes, I'm providing wood - but wood is VERY abundant and free in Alabama. Oak, hickory, pecan, etc. I just take my trailer and Stihl saw and get all I want. ;)
HBMTN - yes, I need to call the HD and check local laws. Thanks!

Snyper77

I charge $50.00/hr from the time I leave my house until I return. I do work for a local caterer and it seems to work out fine for her. As far as the HD I work under her permit. She claims me as an employee for HD purposes. I supply the smoker and fuel and the general supplies I need and she supplies the items to be smoked. At times I do a little extra prep work but we work out a price in advance for that.

Hope this helps!