PDA

View Full Version : IBCA.......Why The Knife And Fork???

Q-Dat
08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I'm asking this here.

Does anybody know why the heck they require the judges to sample with a knife and fork? I guess I kinda get it for chicken because its turned in whole, and I sorta understand with brisket.

My main reason for asking is this. I have never, and I do mean NEVER seen anyone eat ribs using utensils. I figure there is probably a valid reason, but I have no clue what it would be. It really doesn't bother me, I'm just curious.

ATXBBQ
08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Simple answer is that more than seven people will be sampling your food. Extended answer has more to do with the different stages of judging in IBCA that involves going through multiple tables meaning the judges will need to cut a sample from the rib leaving enough for future judging. You wouldn't want to eat off a rib that someone else has picked up and bit off of.

Q-Dat
08-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh OK! See I did not know that there were more than seven judges! Now it makes perfect sense!

I just always thought that seven portions meant seven judges. Thanks for clearing that up :thumbup:

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
It's only happened once, but I did a cook off and they wanted nine bite sized pieces of rib meat and no whole ribs. WTF!?! It's never happened since, but it almost caused a riot at the head cook's meeting.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Q-Dat,

To elaborate a bit on the plastic knife and fork, Here are a couple IBCA Rules/Guidelines:

12. JUDGES — IBCA recommends that a minimum of five (5) judges per table be utilized during the initial judging. Subsequent levels of judging should utilize a minimum of seven (7) and a maximum of nine (9) judges per table. Head Cooks are prohibited to participate as judges. (No Smoking in the Judges Area)
13. JUDGING QUANTITY — Judges will assign a score from 1 to 10 for each tray sampled. A maximum of twenty (20) trays or containers should be assigned to each judging table. Judges should not be required to sample and judge in excess of this number during any event. It is recommended that a predetermined number of top results from each preliminary judging table be sent on to the subsequent levels of judging.

deguerre
08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I'm asking this here.

Does anybody know why the heck they require the judges to sample with a knife and fork? I guess I kinda get it for chicken because its turned in whole, and I sorta understand with brisket.

My main reason for asking is this. I have never, and I do mean NEVER seen anyone eat ribs using utensils. I figure there is probably a valid reason, but I have no clue what it would be. It really doesn't bother me, I'm just curious.

Extreme facal hair comes to mind...

Pigs on Fire
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Maybe it's because they (IBCA) has taken into account the respect for the judges and the finger-licking that goes on....along with all sort of other unsanitary habits the general population has.

Stand at a bathroom door and count how many people wash their hands...

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's because they (IBCA) has taken into account the respect for the judges and the finger-licking that goes on....along with all sort of other unsanitary habits the general population has.

Stand at a bathroom door and count how many people wash their hands...

Interesting Theory....of course, having good head judges and table captains standing over the IBCA off the street judges helps keep it sanitary by telling them repeatedly to not use the same fork that was just put into their mouth on the next entry before passing it to the next judge. Just sayin...it happens. Some people just don't catch on to the new fork for every sample and have to be told repeatedly.:doh: