View Full Version : Equipment questions

08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
What size cambro would be acceptable for use? I can't really tell in pictures how big the trays are so choosing the right size is kinda difficult. Also, any reccomendations on a good brand of knives, cleavers, ect.:help:

08-09-2012, 09:48 PM
We use a 300 that holds three pans unless you are using the extra deep ones, but at the most we have only needed to hold 2 butts and 2 briskets.

08-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a friend that has 2-300's. He uses one for keeping his meat cold enroute to comps. He has a second one for keeping his meats warm during comps.

I have a 400 and it is too big for comps, works well for bigger cooks though.

08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I bought my cambro 400 and used it for the first time at my last comp and it is probably a little overkill as a 300 would have worked, but seems like a lot of what we do is overkill :becky:. Works awesome by the way.

08-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Check out the Carlisle slide n seal / XT300R03. Many teams are using these and they were highly recommended to us.

Instawares.com has about the cheapest delivery fee I have seen I believe.

08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I have two Cambro 300's that I stack, small footprint on a table, lots of space. I use the top one as a cooler, bottom holds the pork & beef, when the top one is empty it serves as the leftover container. Cambro's are two years old and still look & work like brand new.

08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
We have "Carlisle" brand. Don't know the model, but it holds full hotel pans and we can get all of our meats in there in 4 pans, but it's tight.

08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Where does everyone go to get their supplies like knives, tongs, ect. from.. is everyone just going to walmart or is there a brethern site that we support, or do we just wing it at the dollar store

08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I bought some nice cheap knives fro the Wok Shop. Certainly not chef quality, but for $4.95 for large knives and $2.95 for paring knife, can't beat them.

early mornin' smokin'
08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I use 2 300's but i cook a lot of meat at comps, usually 4 butts, 2 brisket and 6 racks of ribs, it's nice to have the extra room. I own one, and borrow another from a friend who owns a restaurant

08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I bought the Mundial knives from http://www.madcowcutlery.com/ when they had them on sale. Good knives for the money.

08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
second mundial knives from madcow. can't help on cambro. keith

08-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I highly recommend the Cambro 400. It's perfect for us. On Friday we have a half pan of ice at the top, then starting from the bottom we have: half pan brisket #1, half pan brisket #2, full pan with 2 butts, half pan with 3 racks of ribs. A 300 won't hold that much. Then Saturday morning our briskets and butts go back in to rest.

It might be our best purchase for comps. I have no idea why we waited until our 3rd year competing to purchase one. We bought ours on sale at Restaurant Depot for $225.

08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Two Cambro 300s which is more than I will ever need.

Starting Thursday afternoon I chill down at least one of them with a full pan of ice. to hold the trimmed meats. Then they will hold the meats after injection/rub until time to put them in the cooker.

Saturday morning after the ribs go in, I change them over to holding the meats coming out of the cooker until time to process. I put a pan of boiling hot water in the Cambro to get the internal temp up somewhat. I'm not looking to get the Cambros very hot, I'm just looking to take the chill out. I do make sure to take the pan of hot water out before putting the meat in. Don't want there to be ANY question of how the temps are maintained.

New Pal Frank
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
We have a 300. It's perfect for us. one packer brisket in full hotel pan and two butts in a full hotel pan.
After each turn in, left overs go in foil half pans and back in to hlod until we leave that afternoon or have time to bag up and ice down.
No problems.

08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I use the MPC300 Cambr0, perfect size for me. Easily holds everything you will need to hold.

08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
For traveling to a comp to keep meats cold, would a Cambro 300 hold 2 packer briskets, 2 butts, 2-3 racks of spare ribs and ~ 12 chicken thighs? That is usually how much we cook.

We use the Cambro now just to hold the briskets/butts after cooking, wondering if we could also get the ribs, chicken and a bag of ice in there for keeping everything cold to transport to the event.

08-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I bought my cambro 400 and used it for the first time at my last comp and it is probably a little overkill as a 300 would have worked, but seems like a lot of what we do is overkill :becky:. Works awesome by the way.

:clap2: We are all about overkill. :becky: 2 300s on a Cam-dolly. Meat hardly ever makes it into the second 300 unless we are doing people's choice, but it makes the top one table height without taking up table space, it's on wheels, and we can store most of our foil pans in the bottom one for transport.

Captain P.J.
08-11-2012, 08:30 PM
As for knives (Dexter), Cambro 300 and tongs I got them from Resturant Depot (entry by way of my KCBS membership). Thermapen (Blue and Red the fastest two colors available) from Thermo works.

JD McGee
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
We use a Cambro 400...slides under the prep table out of the way...holds 2 packers...2 butts...and 6 racks of ribs with a pan of ice on top. During comps we rest the butts and briskets in it before turn in then hot hold for a few hours if sampling or before icing down for transport home.

As far as knives...I use Montana Knife Works from Costco...cheap...and sharp!

08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I got a nice flexible boning knife called The Fishermans Solution from Cutco. Got a nice slicing knife from them as well. Really, they are the only two knives I use anymore. Guaranteed for life, and you can send them back to the factory for free sharpening. I got a cutting board with the same lifetime guarantee with it. When it gets too chewed up I send it in and they replace it for nothing. http://www.cutco.com/home.jsp

08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
We have used Carlisle cold/hot boxes for a few years, they have worked fine, and each has about the same capacity as a Cambro MPC300. They work very well, and cost less than the Cambros (side note: A freind who does some restaurant resale just dropped off a 400 and a 300 a few days back, free!:-D Ca-ching! 400 looks like it might need a new door, but even with the cost of the new door and hinge pins it's a steal! Also, both need the little vent caps, but also not an expensive fix. )

For knives, I leave most of my expensive knives at home. Forshner fibrox line has a decent Granton edge slicer, and I also tote the 8 and 10" chef knives from Sams, and an assortment of boning and filet knives I do most trimming with. The rapala filet knives are cheap, razor sharp, and very flexible! The Forshner/Victorinox line, with fibrox handles are all reasonably priced, and hold an edge pretty well. Dexter/Russel are also a good quality for the price point, as others have said. Whatever you pick, try to see how it feels in your hand, and make sure it's comfortable before plunking down much change

With all that said, there is a Wustof brisket slicer, designed by one of the brethren (aporkolypse now I believe) that I might have to cave in and buy!