PDA

View Full Version : To comp teams, Is BBQ getting too big?

Anchors Smokeshop
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I competed this past weekend at the 6th Annual Battle of the BBQ Brethren, along with 42 other teams, a lot of them being new teams. This was the third year in a row that my team competed in this event. At some point during the competition I asked myself if BBQ is getting too big?
For so long, competing teams always wanted the media to pay attention to BBQ competitions because they wanted the sport to grow. Well, the media has finally caught on by putting BBQ all over TV. And because it is all over TV this has lead to many new teams being formed and jumping into the competition BBQ circuit. I feel this is the third generation of bbq'ers. Let me go over the 3 generations of bbq'ers.
The first generation of bbq'ers is the group that has been around for more than 5 years. They are the ones that were at competitions struggling to get the media involved. They are the ones that welcome new teams to the BBQ circuit. They make friends with the new members of this forum. They help new members of this forum at their competitions. They are winning the GC's. These are the OG's of BBQ.
The second generation of bbq'ers is the group that has been around for 2 to 5 years. This is the group that I feel like I fall into. This group has gotten into the competition BBQ circuit for either the love of BBQ & grilling, they love to cook, they saw an actual BBQ competition or they were talked into it by some veteran on this site. They go to competitions and introduce themselves to the friends that they've made on the forum as well as other new competitive teams. This group very much respects and admires the teams from the first generation.
Then there's the third generation of bbq'ers that make up most of the new teams that were at this competition. This generation is a direct by product of the media attention that the first generation so badly wanted. Because of the shows like BBQ Pitmasters, Best In Smoke and Chopped: Grillmasters, anyone with a tv and a grill thinks they can be the best bbq'ers in the world. Every douchey chef that thinks they're better than everyone on Top Chef, some group of tailgating drunks that saw a commercial for BBQ Pitmasters on a Sunday morning and had the genius idea to form a competition BBQ team or some frat house jerk-offs who watched Grilling with Bobby Flay and think it will be cool to stand in front of a BBQ all weekend while your site looks like a scene from Animal House. This is the group that doesn't introduce themselves to anyone a BBQ competition. This is the group that is not a member of this forum. This is the group that doesn't know BBQ etiquette. This is the group that doesnt understand the bbq camraderie. This is the group that you might see their team at 1 or 2 competitions but will never see them again.
This is the group that concerns me. There are a lot of teams from the first and second generation but what happens when the number of new teams from the 3rd generation outweighs the teams from the first and second generations combined? We will have competitions where the third generation bbq'ers will have more teams than the older generations. Eventually there will be more third generations teams than older generation teams.
If this happens, the douchey chefs, the tailgating drunks and the frat house jerk-offs will be what's become of competition BBQ. This is who we will be competiting against at every bbq competition. Do we want that?
I actually felt uncomfortable at this competition. There were so many new people at this competition and whereas I would normally say hi to someone I don't know and expect to get a response, I didnt do it at this competition because I felt like everyone I didn't know from this new third generation was mean-mugging me and was taking this competition way too serious. They don't understand that brethren say hi to, help out, root for and cheer for other teams. They dont know the etiquette. They don't understand the camaraderie.
Is this who you want to be competing against? I know I don't!

Diva Q
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't care what generation BBQ'ers are from. Good people are good people. Jackasses are still going to be jackasses no matter what generation.

I think the best thing to do is to show the camaraderie, be polite and considerate and just be a good human. If you don't get the response you were looking for move on and get over it.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't care what generation BBQ'ers are from. Good people are good people. Jackasses are still going to be jackasses no matter what generation.

I think the best thing to do is to show the camaraderie, be polite and considerate and just be a good human. If you don't get the response you were looking for move on and get over it.

agreed. I started cooking comps because of bbq pitmasters. I am a huge jerky d-bag though so the OP may be onto something.

fnbish
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm a "3rd generation" who started competing directly because of pitmasters, so should I go ahead and stop competing (granted I'm on the forum)? I don't feel douchey or fratastic :becky:, but I have been wrong before......

Sauced!
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
The 3rd gen teams you talk about that are the douchey chefs, asses, drunks or fratboys well i look at them as field fillers who may get a random call but otherwise are not a threat. lol

Anchors Smokeshop
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
If you are reading this thread, you are NOT 3rd generation!

Sledneck
08-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Maybe they ignored you because they thought you were the douche? Possibility

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
If you are reading this thread, you are NOT 3rd generation!

IMO I think who cares. More people means possibly more comps close to home or prize money at existing comps. As long as quiet hours are respected they can be as douchey and unfriendly as they want. They will hang around till they are out of money or talent.

Anchors Smokeshop
08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I have nothing against the 3rd generation. I myself am a drunken, tailgating, frat house jerk off chef. I just wish they would be more like us. I want them to understand the etiquette and get the camraderie.

Meat & Heat
08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
IMO I think who cares. More people means possibly more comps close to home or prize money at existing comps. As long as quiet hours are respected they can be as douchey and unfriendly as they want. They will hang around till they are out of money or talent.

Agreed. I think more people competing will bring more sponsorship and possibly more prize money at new and existing comps, and how is that a bad thing. We just did a comp last weekend and met some great people that will be at a local comp for me in a month and we can't wait to see them again, pick the gutair and have some beers. Guess that must make me a d-bag cooker but im fine with it. I have been Q n for years but just recently started competing. I love to compete even though sometimes we get beat by the d-bag teams. I think you have to go into it with the attitude that you are going to have fun and do your best and if other take that away you might need to get into a differen't sport.

jbrink01
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Really, I wasted time reading this? Ugh.

INmitch
08-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I have nothing against the 3rd generation. I myself am a drunken, tailgating, frat house jerk off chef. I just wish they would be more like us. I want them to understand the etiquette and get the camraderie.

Actually I see us as a 3rd gen kinda team......except we started befor all the TV hipe. H3ll Johnny Trigg was getting his RV worked on in my little home town and I saw his smoker and stopped n shot the sh!t with him. I had no idea who I was talking to until I got home and looked up the Smokin Triggers(Duhh:wacko:). As far as etiquette and camaraderie that comes with experiance and from your character. If your an a hole you won't be around long!! Good people are good people New Gen or old school!!

And I've met a few from the old school that could use a little work on their attitude!:shock:

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I guess I fall into that 3rd generation as well. I have always loved to cook BBQ and when Pitmasters hit tv it made me want to compete. I agree with earlier posts, as long as you respect others, quiet when its time then all is well. Personally, even though I only get to compete in maybe 4 to 5 comps a yr my main reason for being there is to win. I like all the meeting new people and talking to the guys and gals that you see regularly on the circuit but when it comes down to it, id say 99% of the real BBQer's are there to win. Concentration and focus is what is to be taken care of. I like what Bourbon Barrel said, more teams = more money = more comps close by.

JazzyBadger
08-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Lmao, why didn't you talk to THEM?! That's what I'm left with after this.

CarolinaQue
08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I was always taught to treat others the way you want to be treated. The only way people learn is to be shown. So, let's be the example instead of the finger pointer...just a thought.

rwill99
08-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Like others have said the bigger it gets the more sponsors and prize money. I would say I am a 2nd gen that was forced to be a 3rd gen. I have wanted to compete for years but my funds never allowed me to do so, however I was fortunate to meet a team that can go to comps and has the funds to do it. I am sure alot of the "3rd gens" will not be around long. Just enjoy there prize money when you get a call!

Lake Dogs
08-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Actually, the one thing that has been consistent in most any cooking competition, whether BBQ, or chili, or other is new teams coming in with one attitude or another and not understanding that it's a comraderie thing. Most drink/party too much; many end up defining a new low in DAL; most dont come back. It's been this way since at least 2000. TV didnt change it much, IMHO. Every once in a while a new team comes in and they've prepared, tested their recipes, probably met a few folks already, some even have judged a little (wise, learning the mark to hit), and you can bet they'll be back. This too hasn't changed.

HawgNationBBQ
08-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Well said. I could not agree more.

eap0510
08-07-2012, 07:56 AM
It was mentioned that some of the first and second generation cookers are more receptive to talking with people. This is my second year being a judge and have judged about 15 competitions to date. It has been my experience that some teams are very receptive and are willing to take the time to talk to people.

Unfortunately it has also been my experience that these older teams are willing to talk to you up to a certain point. To become a master judge one needs to compete with a team to see exactly what a team goes through for a competition. I have to issue with this I think it is a great idea. When one starts to talk to the teams about possibly working with them at a competition they start to clam up and begin to ignore you by doing other things such as clean up. Another big one is that they want you to pay them to learn from them. What is that all about? Is not my free labor good enough to help them out, now they want my money as well?

I believe it goes both ways. Teams are starting to become less receptive to people and judges. They are afraid that someone is shigging them or they they will be DQed for talking with a judge. Because teams are not as friendly people are thinking they are pre-madonna's and just mean mug them. It is a vicious cycle.

-Eric

SmokinOkie
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Competition is Competition.

Years ago, I was at a competition and this guy and his brother came to a comp in Stillwater. Asked me and Mike Hays a bunch of questions, ate our food and we welcomed him.

You might know him. David, Butcher BBQ. Just got his Automatic qual for this years Jack.

How do you think us first generation felt when you 2nd generation came around?

We welcomed you.

Teach them the sport. The wannabees will disappear soon enough when they find it's not fun or don't have the drive or spirit to compete.

early mornin' smokin'
08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
We fall right into the "second generation" this was our 5th year competing. Ever since our first comp(the battle of the brethren in sayville) the brethren spirit has been overflowing. Teams taught us how to build our boxes, how to cook our meat, how to present it. And that spirit is still there, alive and well. When the comps get as big as they are, with advertising on radio stations, social media sites, the www.bbqbattleli.com site. We're going to get teams that are brand new, some may be great, some may not understand what we're all about. And will come and go as they please. We may seem like the frat boy team, we do like to party, we do like to stay up late. We enjoy our alcoholic bevarages as much as the next guy. We try to keep it controlled, not make a mess or disgrace, and each year we get invited back. We always say hello to everyone we recognize, welcome the new guys(even if they are douchey) and respect our neighbors. If there's questions, we answer!

Podge
08-07-2012, 08:54 AM
That'd put me in the 1st generation per your definition. I kinda considered myself more of a second generation. 1st generation being the 'founding fathers' of BBQ... the slow, consistent growth thru the 1990's up to about 2003. 2004 to about 2008 being 2nd generation and 2009 to present being 3rd generation. But this is what I think...

There've been d-bags in all generations I think.. they don't last long, as the money it takes to do this either makes you become serious, or find something else.

ique
08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
If this happens, the douchey chefs, the tailgating drunks and the frat house jerk-offs will be what's become of competition BBQ. This is who we will be competiting against at every bbq competition. Do we want that?
I actually felt uncomfortable at this competition. There were so many new people at this competition and whereas I would normally say hi to someone I don't know and expect to get a response, I didnt do it at this competition because I felt like everyone I didn't know from this new third generation was mean-mugging me and was taking this competition way too serious. They don't understand that brethren say hi to, help out, root for and cheer for other teams. They dont know the etiquette. They don't understand the camaraderie.
Is this who you want to be competing against? I know I don't!

You were on Long Island. What do you expect?

:: runs and hides ::

Balls Casten
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I was thinking it Chris but didn’t want to say it. :wink:

I think the analogy is wrong. You can argue that the wrong kind of people are being brought into the sport. But it has nothing to do with the size of the contests or a person’s tenure in the sport.

Scottie
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Man i couldn't care what category folks fall in. I have friends across the board. Am i a douche? Probably i am because i wont let a CBJ cook with me for their Master's. Come to my class if you want to cook. Some folks need to understand that cooks have secrets that we aren't willing to divulge so someone can be a Master. As for new teams. Come and talk with folks. i always volunteer or offer to mentor. Folks either ask me or they don't. But I am there for the helping. I think people shy away because of my demand for those teams to bring a bottle of Jack.... ;)

Comp cooking is what you make of it. Learn when and where you can approach a team and not be getting in their way. Most of all have fun and make new friends.

djqualls
08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
You're reading too much into it. My first posts on The BBQ Forum date back to 1998 or 1999. Yet this is the first year for us to do more than one (Home Town Comp) and we just finished our 13th this year.

We sure have enjoyed all but one of the contests we've been to this year and made friends at every one of them. I honestly can't say there hasn't been one Veteran Team that hasn't wrapped their arms around us and our passion to do good.

Beacause of this support from our mentors, as of this week we are ranked #75 Overall and top 100 in all 4 catagories with a 47th spot in Ribs!

I do believe in the friendly part and understand your emotions however you've forgot one important thing. If they can't cook, the judges will take care of their interest in the sport. People like that won't pay the money it takes just to party and lose every weekend.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I met a douche this weekend and I think he falls into the 1st Generation.

Smokin J
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
You were on Long Island. What do you expect?

:: runs and hides ::

Your just jealous of our strip malls and high taxes aren't you! :laugh:

Stoke&Smoke
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I guess we fall into that middle group. This is our fifth year competing, although we haven't competed as much as we'd like this season.

I think, as others have said, the "tools" will see quickly that it isn't as easy as they think, and fall by the wayside. In the meantime, hopefully their entry feels make our calls more profitible.

I can honestly says that I have met more good folks at these disfunctional family reunions we call BBQ comps, than I have in most any other setting. There are D-bags in most anything you do, but looking past them, to the real folks, the camraderie, etc. is what makes it worthwhile, and keeps us coming back! Doing the "shot fairy" rounds has become one of the things we love, as we not only get to see those we know, but meet lots of new folks as well. Yes, there are some that decline, due to a myriad of reasons, but most are still freindly, and realize we're not out to shig, or satisfy any other ulterior motive, other than to be freindly with our neighbors.

One need only look at things like OBR to see that BBQ folks are the best!

wingpirate
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I welcome the new teams. It seems a few years ago, people were worried about what would happen to the BBQ circuit when the old timers quit and whether there would be a "changing of the guard" or if the sport would fizzle out.

I think we have our answer. So what if some of the new teams don't make it to year 2 or beyond. Some of the new teams now, will probably be some of the elite later. You just gotta look past those who are not serious, to see the ones that are truly interested.

deepsouth
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
with growth comes pains.

Candy Sue
08-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I feel like I got a promotion! I've been cooking since the fall of 2003, but no way am I a Founder of BBQ Competition. But I know several Founders who are still out there doing it one way or another.

Whatever the future brings, it's bright for the world of BBQ competition, IMO.

Wampus
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I was always taught to treat others the way you want to be treated. The only way people learn is to be shown. So, let's be the example instead of the finger pointer...just a thought.

^^^THIS^^^ policy really does (and should) work in so much more than BBQ Competitions. If you want to change things (Comp BBQ, your work environment, your church, your environment, the country, the WORLD)? Then it starts by checking yourself and your actions. Is it a hard thing to do? Yep. Is it necessary? YEP.

Now, is there a need to change Comp BBQ? Dunno. I'm a partner on a team that has competed for 3 years now (I just joined this year). Do we have secrets? Sure, but we also will pretty much answer any questions anyone asks us. Do we run into D-Bags? Yep. Older and younger teams have proven themselves to be both A-holes and stand up crews.

To the original question.....Has BBQ gotten too big? Naaa.....it's just what it is supposed to be right now. As Jason said above.....with growth comes pains. It's bound to happen.

JD McGee
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
2nd Gen here...I blame it all on swamprb! :twisted:

YankeeBBQ
08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Someone whose been cooking in comps for 5 years is not 1st generation. I've been doing it for 15 and I'm not 1st generation. Anyway the point should be you can't judge a book by it's cover. I met some fratboy bbqr's at an event that even brought a wide screen tv with them a few years back. My team spent the weekend rolling our eyes at them wondering what the hell became of bbq......fast forward a few years. I'm now in business with the fratboy. It took a few comps but we got to know each other and are now friends and business partners.

Don't just make assumptions about people because they are having some fun blowing off some steam. Yes it's a competition but there's still room in there to have some fun. It takes a few times out for anyone to "Get it". Cut the people some slack and the more the better !

Bentley
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I feel like I got a promotion! I've been cooking since the fall of 2003, but no way am I a Founder of BBQ Competition. But I know several Founders who are still out there doing it one way or another.

Whatever the future brings, it's bright for the world of BBQ competition, IMO.

That was the year of my 1st competition May 2003 and American Royal too. I am definity not a 1st generation, you would have to go back about 15 years before that. Would seem we are the 2nd generation...

deepsouth
08-07-2012, 03:56 PM
to claim generations of bbq'ers occuring within the past decade is just ridiculous to me. even the "old school" people aren't really old school.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/ancient_barbecue.jpg

rookiedad
08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
maybe what you interpreted as mean mugging was just nerves. a new team coming in has to feel a little out of place and awkward. i know we did. thankfully most teams were real nice to us. i think that the best we can do is lead by example.

Contracted Cookers
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
2 guys move in to a new town. first guy says these people are all *******s. 2nd guy says these people are all good people nice town . which person are you

NS Mike D
08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
My first exposure to competition BBQ was at manorville last year as an extra hand. I came away with two thoughts,

1. This was the best food I had ever tasted.

2. The competitors exuded pay it forward and were some of the friendliest wackos I met.

I wanted more, so in a why not moment, I signed up for a rib cook off and received priceless help from a number of brethren, along with the same open arms.

We did well and in the spirit of the brethren, we received clear instructions we needed to prove it was not a fuke and enter willie palooza in the spring.

Again, the spirit of the brethren was noticeable with a number of teams offering to help.

So this year's BOTB completed the cycle from attendee to competitor. It did appear bigger and intimidating to me, but support from the brethren during the past year including this comp helped me from buckling under the intensity, and self doubt.

I am not aware of another sport where a rookie can walk into such a fiercely competitive event and be so welcomed.

And yet there were teams that I did not approach out of respect. If they didn't make eye contact, I took that as a sign to not bother them.

It wasn't untill the late Sunday after most teams were gone, and Scott was helping me load the Big John into my trailer that I had the nerve to bust Gotham City's balz when he teed up a straight line (the first place in ribs was also fueling some bravado).

Anchor, some of us third generation folks might be intimidated and if you are judging us negatively, don't confuse our leaving you alone for having lack of respect. We might be hoping for an invite to say hello.

Fornia
08-08-2012, 01:20 AM
"Wiping the spit off my '3rd generation' face"....or 1-2 years of competing to be more specific.

First off, I think its crazy to think someone could be so arrogant as to 'define' the generations of competition barbecue based off a time-frame of involvement.

As a team who just completed our first full year of bbq contests, and our 6th contest in that year, I'm quite proud to be the new blood.....if you will. Because for anything to be successful over time, there needs to be generational change and progress. The key for me, is the melding of those within the community.

We watch BBQ Pitmasters, and even keep the episodes on DVR for future reference. We read and search tons of posts on this and the other bbq forums available via the web. We took the CBJ class and helped out a 10+ year mentor cook before ever thinking of sending in a contest application. Due to monetary restraints, we built 2 drum smokers just to be able to pull off our very first 'backyard' contest. We then saved up money and took a competition class taught by a highly successful cook, and then practiced and applied what we've seen, heard, and watched from the bounty of sources available in this thriving community of people sharing a common, growing passion.

This past May, following awards in Green Lane, PA..... I sought out Chris Hart, who came down to our neck of the woods to compete. I wanted to introduce myself, applaud him on his book that I'd recently read, and pay the 'respects' I thought were due. In Washington, DC this past June, we walked up and talked to Myron, Tuffy, and Johnny Trigg to say hello, grab a photo with them...but most importantly to pay our respect to those we've appreciated in this short period of our common interest.

I told all three that day, they're a big reason why we were even in the field. An hour later, Tuffy was congratulating us on our efforts during the awards ceremony. That's respect from person to person, regardless of it being a world champ to a nobody.

The key thing in this to me, is it's certainly not just us.....it's many, many people and teams just like us. They're watching the same shows, reading the same posts, taking the same class, and practicing just as hard or harder. Some of these folks have 1 year of experience, and some have 10 years of experience. It makes no difference.....this is just how it works in all walks of life.

It may be quite sad to think, but barbecue likely doesn't owe anything to anyone, whether you're new and trying hard to beat the learning curve or have 100's of contests under your bbq belt.

It's really what you make of it, of how you respect others and represent yourself while you're doing it.......that defines who you are within it all.

frankH
08-08-2012, 08:55 AM
We've been in 1 comp so far. So i guess we are in your "3rd generation". But i've been cooking bbq for 20 years, since i was 11.

We met a couple of other teams. But time to chat? Are you kidding? Between the guests on friday, and the comp on saturday, and two 12+ hour cooks, who has time to mingle?

Maybe once we get everything locked down and have some experience we can have more time to say hi to everyone.

nukenight
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Right now, I think BBQ is the TV "flavor of the month". I cannot deny that BBQ has been helped by TV and all the exposure and money that it brings. But we all know that BBQ will still be here when TV goes on to the next flavor of the month. Someone above said it best, good people are good people. From my experience since 2003, BBQ has lots of good people! We will turn out fine!

Blind Pig BBQ
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I must chime in. I came up from Philly to do the Maples comp last minute. I've been competing over 7 years... not new. I have to tell ya - I felt like an outcast. I take BBQ very seriously but also like meeting new folks and having a good time. We were left to fend for ourselves to get our spot to setup, no help from reps or other teams... but we made do. I'm glad the sport is growing and I hope it continues to do so, that only makes it better for the serious cooks, more practices and stronger competition. This will also help to weed out one time cookers and those just there to see old friends.

I don't think it has to do with how long someone has been competing - there are good and bad folks regardless.

Cheers!

Sledneck
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I must chime in. I came up from Philly to do the Maples comp last minute. I've been competing over 7 years... not new. I have to tell ya - I felt like an outcast. I take BBQ very seriously but also like meeting new folks and having a good time. We were left to fend for ourselves to get our spot to setup, no help from reps or other teams... but we made do. I'm glad the sport is growing and I hope it continues to do so, that only makes it better for the serious cooks, more practices and stronger competition. This will also help to weed out one time cookers and those just there to see old friends.

I don't think it has to do with how long someone has been competing - there are good and bad folks regardless.

Cheers! confused, I've never relied on the reps or other teams to help me set up my site at any contest . Am I missing something?

Nordy
08-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Being a 3rd generation-er... by the OP's definition... at my first comp I got a lot of funny looks from some of the teams I didn't know. Like "who is that new guy" etc. As a matter of fact I offered to help the guy next to me unload his pit... he said "no thanks." Then promptly walked over to the team on the other side of me and asked for help... I laughed it off, but it did put up a wall when interacting with this "1st generation-er."

It wasn't until after awards on Saturday (two calls) and really after awards my second comp (1st ribs, 2 calls). That some of the more seasoned vets started to interact more with me... I respect that... I took it as I earned a little respect by cooking several comps and I was obviously not a "traditional third generation-er" as I'd put in some hard work to learn the craft and was seeing some results.

That being said... for the most part 99% of the people (1st -3rd generation) I've come in contact with in our first 5 comps have been fantastic people. Honestly if there were only a bunch of jerks out there, it wouldn't be worth it. Overall BBQ cook teams are a diverse crowd who all come together with a common interest, and that creates an excellent environment of camaraderie and an overall FUN time at comps.

Thanks to all I've competed with this year so far... hope to meet more of you down the road. More importantly thanks to all the teams who have helped fuel my addiction to this "hobby."

Nordy

CBQ
08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
BBQ is kind of self filtering. It's hard work. New teams, whether they saw BBQ on TV or not, often have unrealistic expections. I know we did. I think the posers will get spanked and leave. The non-posers will also get spanked, get stubborn, learn how to compete, and become part of the BBQ community in the process.

I think the northeast probably has more teams with unreasonable expectations because it's pretty easy to make better BBQ at home than what you can find in a restaurant. Let's face it, the bar is not that high around here. That doesn't apply to competition BBQ. In a New England or NY contest you could easily find yourself up against 2 or 3 world champions and a bunch of teams heading to the AR or The Jack.

pahutchens
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I guess with luck I might be 4th or 5th generation. :cry:
I'll get there eventually, having a few more backyard events in the area would help my confidence.
Sidebar:
Right now I'm a CBJ working towards Master (slowly) Good to know about some cooks/ teams take on the Master shadow requirement as akin to sanctioned shigging or free cooking classes. I guess I'm naive' that people would use that motivation to pick a cook team.
Cooking with a team is supposed to add and improve the quality of Judging
Surprised it would be a NIMBY issue

sdbbq1234
08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Geez. Where do I fit in.

Generation A and B;

Gen A - Analog - Love the Analog CRT projectors, analog music, etc...

Gen B - BBQ - Never been in a comp, but that will soon end as we are entered in 2 here in VA in Sept and Oct.

Going on 60 years old, BBQ is a staple for me. Wifey and me are KCBS CBJs and worked that for about 5 comps. Visited about 15 comps in the past 4 years. Spoke with a few teams and everyone was really great!

Like others have mentioned, growing pains are painful.

wallace

Blind Pig BBQ
08-08-2012, 08:20 PM
confused, I've never relied on the reps or other teams to help me set up my site at any contest . Am I missing something?

... It was getting late, around 6pm on Sat. and I still was waiting to be issued a spot in which to setup. There were car show folks still setup and drinking in the spot I was told we could have. I had to ask them to make room and move their cars (on my own) so we could setup, get meat checked and start cooking. I don't feel it is the teams responsibility to have potental confrontation when attending a comp. Never had that happen before, but it all ended up well, just a frustrating situation.

GreenDrake
08-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I wish we had that problem here in the more rural pacific northwest. We have a hard enough time getting qualifiers together. As much as we try, the last three comps I did this year were all short of the Jack required team count. Matter of fact out of the five I am doing this year, I doubt any of them will get the needed team count. Being geographically isolated has hurt us. I wish there was an easier way to get teams into bbq comps, it seems friends just feel intimidated by the concept and cost.

Stoke&Smoke
08-09-2012, 07:41 AM
... It was getting late, around 6pm on Sat. and I still was waiting to be issued a spot in which to setup. There were car show folks still setup and drinking in the spot I was told we could have. I had to ask them to make room and move their cars (on my own) so we could setup, get meat checked and start cooking. I don't feel it is the teams responsibility to have potental confrontation when attending a comp. Never had that happen before, but it all ended up well, just a frustrating situation.

Sound like it should have been the organizers job to explain the situation to the car show folks. Not really a reps job? But unless they were d-bags, I wouldn't think that should be too tough?

Another reason we like to arrive early

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Sledneck
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Sound like it should have been the organizers job to explain the situation to the car show folks. Not really a reps job? But unless they were d-bags, I wouldn't think that should be too tough?

Another reason we like to arrive early

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Ok now I understand. The situation was unique to the event . Every year the contest gets filled but after the car show Phil opens the event up to teams that agree to be late arrivals once the car show leaves. I spent all of Saturday checking teams in and making sure they got meat inspection. Unfortunately I had to leave late Saturday afternoon to pick up my family at the airport. A bit of miscommunication on my part for not alerting the other members of the crew of the length of my absence .(round trip to JFK 1.5 hours each way :twisted:) It's no excuse and I apologize for the mishap. If you ask the other teams the last 6 years an incident like that has never occurred and we are very willing and have accommodated all requests. If you had found Phil I'm sure the issue would of been resolved much quicker. we really hope you return next year and give us a chance to make I t up to you.

BBQchef33
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Philly, im at fault also. You arrived during the Ultimate Grilling Challenge Awards and I was not able to tend to you immediately. Another team came to me to let me know you were there and I sent someone(i think it was cues your daddy) out to get you seated. The car show awards are scheduled to go off at 4, and car show folks were suppose to be out by 5, and i believe they were running late also. Thats why we tell late arrivals after 5. Sorry for the delay. At that particular time, there was alot going on and i thought it was covered.

PS, i called u a few hours ago to get your new medals to you.

DawgPhan
08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
BBQ wont be too big until someone there is a million dollar contests and someone can change their life significantly by winning a bbq contest...everything until then is just the upward grind.

Frog
08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I consider my self "Generation Newbie". i've always loved bbq so that's when my challenge to my self started.. I went to about 15 different bbq places in the bay area to learn different textures,sauces, rubs etc.. some were good some were bleh.. This is when i started experimenting.. ALOT of reading, Note taking, and alot of supplies burned and used.. thanks to this forum and Google Im able to make my own Sauce, rub, and know a few different techniques to use while cooking.

AS of right now i have entered 0 Comps.. But its on my List, First on that list is to buy my GMG Daniel B... Once that's purchased... Guess who you will see at comps.. ME! Ill be the guy who is happy to be competing.. I just want to learn and succeed. I'll be the guy that invites you in, then starts picking your brain asking questions like what type of rubs do you use, what temps are you using, ask about sauces etc. Then offer you a beer as a thank you for all the knowledge you shared with me :-P. I hope to meet a lot of great people and taste great food at every comp! at least that's the goal.