PDA

View Full Version : hosting a competition

rookiedad
10-26-2005, 09:44 AM
has anyone ever been involved with hosting a contest? what is involved? i would lke to hear of anyone's experience with this. thanks.
phil

The_Kapn
10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Phil,

Take a look here:
http://kcbs.us/downloads/sanctioning.pdf

Althought KCBS centric--I would imagine that the general guidance would work for any event.
Place to get started.

Looks like a "whole lotta" work to me http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

TIM

Sawdustguy
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Phil,

Are you thinking about putting one on here in Suffolk? If you are, I would be willing to help a bit. There are alot of great locations here in Suffolk.

wsm
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Fellow here in St Louis wants to bring KCBS Competition BBQ to St L - Last Summer I helped him put on a non-sanctioned contest at his Church - we modeled it on a sanctioned contest - we had 5 teams and everyone had a great time. I had contacted the KCBS and they were extremely helpful.

This Summer they will have a KCBS Sanctioned contest on July 14 '06 - preceeded by a CBJ class on 1/28/06.

you CAN do it

BrooklynQ
10-26-2005, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about putting one together in Brooklyn, but due to the distance rules between contests, it's too close to Grill Kings to qualify as a KCBS sanctioned event.

parrothead
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
I was thinking about putting one together in Brooklyn, but due to the distance rules between contests, it's too close to Grill Kings to qualify as a KCBS sanctioned event.

Only if it is on the same weekend.

BrooklynQ
10-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Not just same weekend - had some time restrictions too. The organization I was working with is set on it's dates so it would have not been accepted for sanction.

Smoker
10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Even if it's not sanctioned it could still be fun and good publicity for the sport of BBQing. I think BBQing as a sport and just for the fun of it is exploding up here in the North East.

spicewine
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Start planning early!!! Keep in mind that you will need a good deal of " Front Money " ( for trophys, advertising, turn in boxes ect. ) because some teams won't pay the entry fee untill day of even though they have given a verbal commitment. If you can get local sponcership, they can help with some of this.

Sawdustguy
10-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Phil,

I don't know what you are thinking of but I think what Patchogue does during the summer on Friday evenings is very cool. I think shutting down Main Street and turning it into a street fair with bands and such is good for the community and the business community. Maybe this could be tied in to BBQ contest.

wsm
10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Excelsior Springs MO shut down main street and had a contest there - Did any of you brethern cook there? The Fragile Flower and I judged there - the Hall of Waters is farken impressive!

Bigdog
10-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Excelsior Springs MO shut down main street and had a contest there - Did any of you brethern cook there? The Fragile Flower and I judged there - the Hall of Waters is farken impressive!
Yes it is. Wifie and I went there a few years ago for a weekend. Did the water treatment/massage thingie. Very nice, and very different.

Sawdustguy
10-27-2005, 06:36 AM
This type of event is good for everyone. It brings people into town where they will spend money at the local merchants and it is a good time for families also. It's win-win.

rookiedad
10-27-2005, 08:18 PM
i know they have that bbq block party in manhatten, but has there ever been a competition there?
phil

jminion
10-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Phil
We do 6 to 8 competitions a year, start now and if you like I can get you a timeline that spells out what you need in place and when. Let me know if i can help.

wsm
10-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Go for it Rookie!!

Jim Minion offered to help, you can request help from the KCBS and I will do what little I can - but YOU gotta go for it!!

Sawdustguy
10-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Phil,

I believe that is where OLN had their $25,000 BBQ Challenge.

ThomEmery
10-28-2005, 07:56 AM
I am looking at doing a Comp. here with my Lions Club .
The State Organization and experienced cooks have been
very helpful