PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Along I-40 Between CA and NC?

gtr
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Not sure if I'm gonna do this yet, but I might be driving to NC in about a week and a half. I'll be haulin' arse 'cause I'll just be turning around and coming back (at a slower pace with the fam, not sure what route yet), but I'm gonna need to eat! Anybody know any good spots near 40 anywhere it runs through?

deguerre
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Um...doesn't 40 run through...Memphis?

gtr
08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Last I checked it did! :thumb:

Gore
08-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Last I checked it did! :thumb:

Guerry always tells us the BBQ sucks in Memphis, so I'd try to bypass. I'm currently in Raleigh-Durham, but who knows where I'll be when you're driving. I could be in Oklahoma, or back here, who knows.

Incidentally, Black Bart's in Flagstaff doesn't have the best food in the world, but I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner there. The waitstaff is primarily drama students at university and there are continual musical performances throughout the night by the servers. I stopped there with a number of friends from Europe and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I could've easily spent the several hours enjoying the performances and gone back the next night. The kids loved it. My youngest at the time just stared in awe every time our server ran to get up on stage and sing. Again, you're paying more for the entertainment than for the food, but I give it highest recommendation.

http://www.blackbartssteakhouse.com/

It's been 20 years or so, but in Amarillo, you should stop at the Big Texan. They're giving steaks away there, for free!

http://www.bigtexan.com/

I should also add that NAU (Flagstaff) has a college devoted to hotel and food services. They have a university guest house that is run by students as part of their training, along with a restaurant. The restaurant used to serve extremely gourmet meals at extremely reasonable cost -- it is for training purposes. You do need to book hotel and restaurant ahead of time though.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Dyer's in Amarillo, Texas. The spare ribs and sides.

Dyer's Bar B Que
Wellington Square, Amarillo, TX 79102

gtr
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Guerry always tells us the BBQ sucks in Memphis, so I'd try to bypass. I'm currently in Raleigh-Durham, but who knows where I'll be when you're driving. I could be in Oklahoma, or back here, who knows.

Incidentally, Black Bart's in Flagstaff doesn't have the best food in the world, but I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner there. The waitstaff is primarily drama students at university and there are continual musical performances throughout the night by the servers. I stopped there with a number of friends from Europe and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I could've easily spent the several hours enjoying the performances and gone back the next night. The kids loved it. My youngest at the time just stared in awe every time our server ran to get up on stage and sing. Again, you're paying more for the entertainment than for the food, but I give it highest recommendation.

http://www.blackbartssteakhouse.com/

It's been 20 years or so, but in Amarillo, you should stop at the Big Texan. They're giving steaks away there, for free!

http://www.bigtexan.com/

^^^I think there might be one good place to get bbq in Memphis.

Gore
08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
^^^I think there might be one good place to get bbq in Memphis.

I hope they serve likker. :shock:

1MoreFord
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
From west to east in Arkansas.

Not Que, but the Whatta-Burger in Russellville does have good burgers. Not to be confused with the Whataburger chain. It's <5 minutes south of 40 on Hwy 7. Can't miss it on the left at a stop light. Been eating there for 40+ years. Family run all the time. When I first ate there you could get the large drink for $0.30 and the large malt/shake for $0.40 . You'll understand if you stop there. When in college at Tech I could get a medium drink, single Whatta cheese and fries for $2.00 . Again you'll understand if ya stop there.

The Whole Hog Cafe in Little Rock. The same one mentioned in Peace, Love, and BBQ. Take the I-430 exit and then take the first exit after the river. Cantrell Rd. / Hwy 10. Head east on Cantrell. After going down a long winding hill start looking for the Cafe in a shopping center on the left. When leaving head east as Cantrell will take you to I-30 and then quickly to I-40.

Finally. Craig Brother's BBQ in DeValls Bluff. AKA Craig's.

You need to know how to go past Craig's anyway as there is construction on I-40 in this area in both directions. Take the Carlisle exit (183). Turn left at the end of the exit ramp. Then turn left at the next stop sign. You're now on Hwy 70 and will be on it until you get to Brinkley in about 35-40 miles. Remember to exit at Brinkley on your return trip too. Take the detour both ways as the frequent wrecks in the construction zone tie up traffic for hours at a time.

Craig's is one of the BBQ joints mentioned in almost every book about BBQ where they tell the tale of a BBQ joint owned by blacks that kept BBQ from dieing. It's been owned and run by the same family since 1947. They have a unique sauce that's available in mild, medium, and hot varieties. I used to think the hot really was hot but now I find it to be the perfect nice warmth:mrgreen: To put it in prospective I like Srirachi. Pretty basic menu. Sammies, ribs, sausage, platters and pretty much the usual sides. Forgot to mention pork, beef, and chicken all on the menu for some items.

I've been eating there since 1978-79 and had my favorite hot pork sandwich on the way back from Memphis today on the way back to work in Carlisle.:biggrin1:

Here's a little article about Craig's.

http://www.southernbbqtrail.com/arkansas/craigs-bar-b-q.shtml

1MoreFord
08-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Gore,

Thanks for the thanks, but, if ya don't mind, what caused ya ta like 'bout my little tale of over indulgence:oops: I mean food joints?

lcbateman3
08-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Well...I'm close....but I think I'll be in Ca then.....

Gore
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Gore,

Thanks for the thanks, but, if ya don't mind, what caused ya ta like 'bout my little tale of over indulgence:oops: I mean food joints?

Joe, these are exactly the types of places I like to visit when I travel. I'd drive an extra 50 miles each way to visit. The personal additions make it extra nice: it helps that I like the way you write. It makes me really want to see some pictures. If I were making my trip, you bet I'd go out of my way to visit. I have no business in the foreseeable future, but this'll be in the back of my mind if I do. I'd love it if the Brethren had a restaurant review section.

1MoreFord
08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, a restaurant review section would be a nice addition to the forum.

gtr
08-03-2012, 09:19 AM
^^^Great idea!

deguerre
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
BBQ Grail had started a one a couple years ago (Blog format I think) but I don't know if it went past testing...

gtr
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Looks like I won't be doing the drive east. Just gonna be flying there and driving back west. Was looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm guessing sitting in a car for 4 days at 47 is probably different from what it was like in my 20's. :twitch:

Thanks for the info y'all!

I'll be putting up a couple other threads as we figure our route back. :hungry:

gtr
08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
...Finally. Craig Brother's BBQ in DeValls Bluff. AKA Craig's.

You need to know how to go past Craig's anyway as there is construction on I-40 in this area in both directions. Take the Carlisle exit (183). Turn left at the end of the exit ramp. Then turn left at the next stop sign. You're now on Hwy 70 and will be on it until you get to Brinkley in about 35-40 miles. Remember to exit at Brinkley on your return trip too. Take the detour both ways as the frequent wrecks in the construction zone tie up traffic for hours at a time.

Craig's is one of the BBQ joints mentioned in almost every book about BBQ where they tell the tale of a BBQ joint owned by blacks that kept BBQ from dieing. It's been owned and run by the same family since 1947. They have a unique sauce that's available in mild, medium, and hot varieties. I used to think the hot really was hot but now I find it to be the perfect nice warmth:mrgreen: To put it in prospective I like Srirachi. Pretty basic menu. Sammies, ribs, sausage, platters and pretty much the usual sides. Forgot to mention pork, beef, and chicken all on the menu for some items.

I've been eating there since 1978-79 and had my favorite hot pork sandwich on the way back from Memphis today on the way back to work in Carlisle.:biggrin1:

Here's a little article about Craig's.

http://www.southernbbqtrail.com/arkansas/craigs-bar-b-q.shtml

Brother - thanks for that! Just had an awesome meal there. I had the sausage, the pork sandwich, and the ribs (the missus and I were sharing). The boys each at 1 1/2 cheeseburgers - I had a bite and that was great as well. I bought 6 bottles of the sauce & I'm not even much of a sauce guy. Anytime I'm in the area I'll be hitting that spot for sure - damn good food and a classic hole in the wall joint with friendly people, toothless old men, etc. :thumb: I'm glad to be showing my kids that the best food doesn't necessarily come from national chains or big places.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/photo-72.jpg

I think we'll be eating dinner at the Big Texan in Amaraillo tomorrow nite per Gore's recommend. :hungry:

If anybody knows where to get good grub for lunch in OK lemme know!

Gore
08-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I am soooooo jealous! That place is just begging for me to visit. I'm afraid you'll find the Big Texan is not in that category at all. Bring your appetite though!

gtr
08-19-2012, 08:37 PM
You gotta go if you ever get the chance - it's not too far off of the 40 and it's a nice drive through a sleepy little farming community. Most definitely some po folks living around there.

The Big Texan should be fun just for the experience of it plus my kids know it from "Man vs Food" so they're excited about that.

As for Craig's, I don't think I've been to a better bbq joint in recent memory.

We also stopped at Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis for a little appetizer on the way to Craig's. Farking excellent fried green tomatoes and fried chicken. If you don't want fried chicken, don't go there. That's all they have besides side dishes. :whoo:

Gore
08-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, I'll be looking forward to your next reviews ... and especially your review of Black Bart's in Flagstaff. Take more pictures!

gtr
08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Will do!

1MoreFord
08-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed my favorite hole in the wall.:grin: If you followed my directions and came on over thru Carlisle you also passed a legendary Arkie catfish house named Murray's. Once, and maybe still, a place for the movers and shakers to meet. :crazy: (Much like the Gillette BBQ Coon supper) Sadly, I've never eaten there since back when I was around there on weekends, and evenings, and they were in their original digs in DeVall's Bluff made out of old train cars, they only did catfish steaks and I'm been paranoid of fish bones since I was a kid. Kinda traumatized me 'bout fish till I met fillets.:thumb:

I passed by Craig's twice today on the run. First time they weren't open yet but the pit master (or attendant maybe) was out back at the pit house. On the way back the smoke looked a tad thick but that may be the way their ancient pit likes to run. Unfortunately it was just a little early to stop for a sammy for lunch.:mmph::mad:

BTW, be careful with that sauce. It's potent, in a hard to explain kinda way, when not thinned down with cole slaw sauce.:wink:

And if you came thru Carlisle and passed Nick's BBQ, their catfish is better'n their Q.:roll:

ETA one more time. In the old days another family member had a pie shop across the highway that is sadly no longer there. Back in those days you could have lunch or dinner on the south side of the highway and dessert on the north side.

1MoreFord
08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
And thank you Gore, I wish I had a few more jewels to share.:wink:

4uweque
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Dang, now I HAVE to try Craig's. It's only 100 miles and Gtr you sure give it high praise!

1MoreFord
08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Dang, now I HAVE to try Craig's. It's only 100 miles and Gtr you sure give it high praise!

Just do it! You will not regret it.:mrgreen:

gtr
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
4uweque - just go there. Period. We really liked everything we had. The pork sandwich was kind of a revelation. Somewhere along the way I developed a bias against sandwiches that came already sauced, and my visit to Craig's has me rethinking that. There is both pulled and chopped pork on the sandwich and it seems like they sear it a little on a griddle 'cause there was a little unexpected crunch in the sandwich that was really nice.

1MoreFord - we were headed from East to West, so my lovely wife and her iPad navigated us there - I'm gonna have to hit that catfish spot one day though - love that stuff! Again - thanks so much for the info - I hope to eat there again one day and I will go through a lot of effort to do so.

gtr
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Yesterday we hit Leo's in OKC.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/photo-73.jpg

Another enjoyable meal, but Craig's is a tough act to follow. The ribs were good, the bologna was good, the links were good. I'll try the brisket another time before passing judgement on it - they may have been having an off day on the beef. The folks were really nice and you get free banana strawberry cake with your order - that was some great stuff!

We were hoping to eat at the Big Texan in Amarillo for dinner, but there was an utterly hellacious storm and the power was knocked out so we had a chitty dinner at the Iron Skillet instead. We did go to the Big Texan for breakfast today though. I had the steak and biscuits and gravy. I thought the steak would be decent, and it was better than I expected. Good char flavor and reasonably tender. This isn't some rhapsodic steak experience, but really enjoyable nonetheless.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Photo1-63.jpg

A cooker out in the parking lot

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Photo1-64.jpg

Some guy took the 72 oz. free steak challenge!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/photo-74.jpg

They butterfly it and cook it

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Photo1-66.jpg

And serve it with a jalapeno. You also have to eat a baked potato, a dinner roll, and another thing or 2 to qualify for the free steak.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Photo1-65.jpg

Not sure if he made it within the hour time limit or not - we had to get moving!

The Big Texan is a tourist trap extraordinaire - but totally fun and I would definitely go back there. Again, super nice people working here as well. :thumb:

Anybody know of good grub in or around Santa Fe? :hungry: (yeah, we strayed a little off of 40)

1MoreFord
08-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, believe it or not I have a couple of suggestions there too.:mrgreen:

There's a Whole Hog Cafe franchise there that was good when we were there in 2010.

http://www.wholehogcafe.com/locations/

There's also a New Mexican restaurant we ate at down in the plaza area. Very good representation of New Mexican cuisine. Gets good reviews and is usually busy. Expect to wait for a table. Recommended to us by locals.

http://www.sfshed.com/Restaurant.html

gtr
08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Whole Hog has either moved or is closed - I drove by an abandoned building that had that sign on it. I heard about another place named Josh's, but it either moved or closed as well. My wife says The Shed is great, but we farked around too long and it got too late so we got chitty room service instead. I had a brownie sundae for dinner :thumb:. We had breakfast at a place called "Tecolote" that was pretty dang good. I had a carne adovada burrito - very tasty!

Gore
08-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Twenty years ago I loved the Ore House on the main plaza. They used to make a chile-paste-encrusted prime rib that was completely unique and delicious. I would strongly recommend eating THAT. Of course, I don't know if that prime rib still exists. It was a nice restaurant, but that dish was amazing.

gtr
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Home now. Didn't go through Flagstaff - Black Bart's is gonna have to stay on the to-do list.

Great great great farking trip all in all!

Now...where to get some good grub in Utrecht next week? :heh:

fingerlickin'
08-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Man I love a good road trip, sounds like you guys had a great time.

Now how are you planning to loose the 10lbs you put on? :)

gtr
08-26-2012, 11:40 PM
As quickly as farking possible. I'm off work tomorrow, so maybe eggs & country ham for breakfast, or maybe just straight back to the raw green smoothies. :shocked:

I actually didn't gain all that much - when there wasn't great food, I didn't eat a lot - at all. When there was, I went for it, but not to a crazy extent. One night we were staying in a pretty nice hotel and I didn't like what they offered for room service, so I just got the brownie sundae dessert for dinner. :thumb:

And yes, we had such a great time - this was one for the books! :clap2:

jaronmssc
09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
We recently happened upon a place right off of 40 in Albuquerque, Nm. It is called Rudy's. It is a small chain, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. 2321 Carlisle NE, Albuquerque, NM.