PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Burner Review

Squeal Appeal
08-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Just to let anyone interested,,,,This thing is awesome....The cooker i installed it on is way to big for the burner (I Thought),, after initial start up, and heating my pretty burner up so HOT, it Blued the sides,and blowed fire and smoke out the top, I shut her down,,,,,after contacting Wang, and got informed on proper installation, I got a big suprise, it took a whole 5 minutes to heat a 5 ft wide, 4 ft high, 2 1/2 ft deep cooker, none insulated, single thin wall,to 250 deg...with 0 smoke or fire coming out the top and the sides that got blued you could touch....I ran this on manual for about 10 minutes,,, then set up controller and set 1 stage, just to see what was going to take place....well the controller took over, started settling down an in about 30 minutes total time ,had the temps steady at almost perfect 250,,,Pit prob temps varied 5 to 6 deg,,Only noticed about a 1 to 2 deg variance in thermometer temp...Thanks Wang

IbrahimSS
08-02-2012, 09:57 AM
excuse my ignorance here but what is a gravity burner? maybe a link would be helpful

woodpelletsmoker
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
excuse my ignorance here but what is a gravity burner? maybe a link would be helpful
can be found from www.allchinas.com
http://allchinas.com/burner/sketch-burner.jpg
http://allchinas.com/burner-single2ebay.jpg

Teamfour
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I wonder if I could bolt this thing to an offset in place of the fire box.

woodpelletsmoker
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I wonder if I could bolt this thing to an offset in place of the fire box.
It is designed to upgrade an offset to an automatic pit

deguerre
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Excellent review. I was already curious and now I'm more than interested.

Teamfour
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Where does the ash fall? It looks like the fire box sits in the bottom of the chute like a normal gravity feed, but it doesn't look like a lot of room under the grate for ash to fall.

woodpelletsmoker
08-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Where does the ash fall? It looks like the fire box sits in the bottom of the chute like a normal gravity feed, but it doesn't look like a lot of room under the grate for ash to fall.
I am using pellet and charcoal.
There is enough space to hold ash for smoking 20 hours.
If you want, I can simply enlarge the space of ash

woodpelletsmoker
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Yes it looks "like a normal gravity feed", but it is different in reality. It is Reverse flow. It adds a burning element which makes the charcoal BURNING much less

Squeal Appeal
08-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Here is a couple of photos of cooker....New fire Box is installed... The Slot was where a ash pan was, i Put the charcoal burner in that slot and filled in Temp. the sides (Just to Try)....I have built a new fire box ,, Will be putting the Burner on the side ....

The Slot will be filled in,,http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified009.jpg

Squeal Appeal
08-04-2012, 10:36 PM
This is a photo with patch tacked in New Fire Box Installed

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified011.jpg
Photo of front view of cooker
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified007.jpg
Back Draft Damper installed
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified012.jpg

Pitmaster T
08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice Mod Squeal... If your stacks come up missing... well, lets just say I have a tank just like that and am looking for ideas.

woodpelletsmoker
08-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Here is link of my brine injector. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140633819795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_842wt_699

Your mail box is full.

Squeal Appeal
08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Here are the Flat Doors,,, When I got this thing , doors were just cut out and motorcycle chain was used for hinges :doh:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified004.jpg
Here is the new water pan i built going in tomorrow,,,3 inch deep24x 50
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/Squealappeal/bbqmodified005.jpg....

Pitmaster T
08-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Your door is stout!!!!!

Squeal Appeal
08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Actually there are 2 doors... And Thanks T

Dr_KY
08-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Go careful using that burner.

There was a review on the internet several months ago from someone that was using it and literally blew the door off his cooker. I think the actual thread has sadly been wiped but I will gave a little Google search and email the author and perhaps he can shed some light on what the issue was.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Go careful using that burner.

There was a review on the internet several months ago from someone that was using it and literally blew the door off his cooker. I think the actual thread has sadly been wiped but I will gave a little Google search and email the author and perhaps he can shed some light on what the issue was.

DR_KY, I first met you at www.bbbqs.com, and we met at aussiebbq.info often too. You are occassionally here.
You asked for a few times a free sample, and I never answered you before.
Do I tell all Brethren the truth.
This is the second time that you post fake story.
WHERE do you read "blew the door off his cooker."
No, you simply write a fake story by yourself.
Do you really think the burner is a bomb.
My burn burns charcoal, and pellet, NOT any gas.
Before you fake a story, please think by your brain if you have any knowledge of science. But I doubt your IQ

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 05:41 AM
There is a post in www.thesmokering.com.
A man was making a grill by himself. When He cut the tank by torch, the tank exploded.
He killed himself and badly injuried his daughter.
There must be flamble gas inside the tank.
Does anyone every hear that charcoal or wood pellet explodes.

Dr_KY
08-05-2012, 08:27 AM
DR_KY, I first met you at www.bbbqs.com (http://www.bbbqs.com), and we met at aussiebbq.info often too. You are occassionally here.
This is the second time that you post fake story.
No, you simply write a fake story by yourself.
Before you fake a story, please think by your brain if you have any knowledge of science. But I doubt your IQ

I will not do this here with you as you have done with others.

Robert from Berties BBQ in the UK wrote the warning while he was using your product. I will email him as see if it is still available. It was posted on the British BBQ forum if you remember correctly. I will say no more until I get a reply from him as I am only posting of this issue as a matter of concern for safety. It could have very well be an issue of user error and not the product hence my " Go careful using that burner" opening statement.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I will not do this here with you as you have done with others.

Robert from Berties BBQ in the UK wrote the warning while he was using your product. I will email him as see if it is still available. It was posted on the British BBQ forum if you remember correctly. I will say no more until I get a reply from him as I am only posting of this issue as a matter of concern for safety. It could have very well be an issue of user error and not the product hence my " Go careful using that burner" opening statement.
One UK metal works made two burners by themself.
I personally do not see any of them.
Look this post, even you use my burner, you need my instruction to use it correctly, nothing to say the one I have never seen.
If charcoal and wood pellet could explode, territorists would have blown London to heaven.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Dr_KY:
I am clear. You are misleading BBQ brethren here.
I find "Chinese pellet burner WARNING" posted by " British BBQ Society » 06 Jan 2012, 08:25" link http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1640

I was asked by bbbqs.com to pay advertisement fee. As there are very few people there, I refused to waste my money there. Then I was banned.
Dear BBQ Brethren, please do visit that link, nothing but nosense.
Also I sold my smoker, grill and burner to American, Canada and Australia.
I never sell any smoker, grill, and burner to British BBQ Society, and not any UK people.
All UK have no right to judge my burner.
Your "Warning" is nothing but wasting opportunity of real BBQ men.
You can destroy my name, but at same time you are destroying new option or new technology to BBQ Brethren here.

Ron_L
08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Mod Note:

Personal attacks are not allowed. A civil discussion of the product is fine, but leave the personal attacks out of it.

bobbyp
08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes I did post a warning on BBBQS relating to the use this gravity fed "pellet" burner.
I have checked the link Wang has just posted, but it does not contain my post. It had been removed from the website (along with my identity and all my other posts) because I was found guilty of causing embarasment through excessive and repeated use of truth, but thats a whole other story..........

2 of these pellet burners were built under license in the uk for testing with a view to production. they were identical to those manufactured in china, built from design drawings puchased from Wang.

During testing (with various types of fuel) the following was determined;
The device ran fairly well running on small pieces (1/2-3/4") of charcoal, but even when the pieces were broken down that small, there were chute jam issues. pieces any larger than that it wouldnt run very well at all.

It was then tested with hardwood pellets.
During the initial tests, the pellets that were immediately above the burn pot got very, very hot. As they did so they got very resinous and sticky.
When they reached the burn pot they gummed up and blocked the burn pot and the burner extinguished.

During the following trial, the burner was fitted with a "stoker" type fan and pid controller.
This worked well for about the first half hour, then the burnpot choked up.
Problem was that instead of just going out, the fan just keeps blowing trying to raise the chamber temperature, but instead is blowing air through super-heated wood pellets filling the chamber with lots of air and very hot natural gas.
I think we can all understand what happened next and why!!
A big blue flame puffed out of the back of the fan (electrical sparks) and the 30lb lid of the test bed smoker ended up on the other side of the carpark.#

Further tests were carried out using combination's of charcoal pieces and various types and ratios of wood pellets, and although we achieved some level of success, it would never have proved reliable and safe enough for commercial use in the uk (and do I want to spend the rest of my life breaking charcoal into 3/4" pieces!).

The "warning" I posted as a result of this incident recommended being "very carefull" with it, and selecting an appropriate fuel, which in my opinion did not then, and does not yet exist, small round (3/4") pure charcoal balls.

If you are already using one, the best of luck to you and please bear in mind the above.
I must stress that this incident was caused by a combination of factors including the particular type of pellets that we were using, I cannot comment on the safety and reliability of the product under differing circumstances.
All this information and data was relayed back to Wang, he is fully aware of its potencial shortcomings.

I bear no ill to Wang, but I cannot recommend his product due to the problems detailed above. I am however very offended by his very stupid and offensive terrorism jokes.
I dont think this was a considered part of his sales stratergy.

Rob

Ron_L
08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting the explanation, Rob.

In all fairness, as Wang pointed out, these were not burners built by him, and even though they were built using his plans there could have been a difference. I'm not saying that there was, but it is possible. The caution is appreciated but this does not mean that the burners being built by Wang will have this same issue.

Dr_KY
08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
DR_KY, I first met you at www.bbbqs.com (http://www.bbbqs.com), and we met at aussiebbq.info often too. You are occassionally here.
This is the second time that you post *fake story.
*No, you simply write a fake story by yourself.
*Before you fake a story, please think by your brain if you have any knowledge of science. But I doubt your IQ

*Look this post, even you use my burner, you need my instruction to use it correctly, nothing to say the one I have never seen.

If charcoal and wood pellet could explode, territorists would have blown London to heaven.

Dr_KY:
I am clear. You are misleading BBQ brethren here.
I find "Chinese pellet burner WARNING" posted by " British BBQ Society » 06 Jan 2012, 08:25" link http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1640

Dear BBQ Brethren, please do visit that link, nothing but nosense.
Also I sold my smoker, grill and burner to American, Canada and Australia.
I never sell any smoker, grill, and burner to British BBQ Society, and not any UK people.

*Rob ( bobbyp) has posted the reference on the internet I was referring to.
*I do not and have never used your product(s). ( remember you said none ever came to the UK)

I will wait and graciously accept you apology Wang as soon as you offer it...

deguerre
08-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Excellent review. I was already curious and now I'm more than interested.

Suddenly I seem to be no longer interested. Not because of the product mind you.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
My reply to UK:
1."The device ran fairly well running on small pieces (1/2-3/4") of charcoal",
Thank you very much for your testimonial.
At worest result, why do not you burn small pieces (1/2-3/4") of charcoal

2."there were chute jam issues"
Please remember you American have Stumps, Backwoods, Viking, ect. Gravity Feed is very popular in American already.
There may be a jamming too, but the jamming will be burnt down shortly. Leave it as it is. It will cure itsself.

3."It was then tested with hardwood pellets.
During the initial tests, the pellets that were immediately above the burn pot got very, very hot. As they did so they got very resinous and sticky.
When they reached the burn pot they gummed up and blocked the burn pot and the burner extinguished."

There may be too much additives in your pellet. If you use pure WOOD pellet, all will be burnt to ASH.

4."During the following trial, the burner was fitted with a "stoker" type fan and pid controller. This worked well for about the first half hour, then the burnpot choked up......"

Again it is due to your BAD PELLET.
Residue or additives in pellet forms a kind of clanker and blocks the grate.
The heat and air then are forced to go up to fuel bin and flamble gases are released from pellet and may expolde. The "explode" is also contributed to your PID controller and
fan.
Thanks GOD, you did not fill in the burner with gun powder, it would be more powerful.

5." do I want to spend the rest of my life breaking charcoal into 3/4" pieces!"
It takes me LESS THAN 10 minutes to break charcoal of full fuel bin.
If you use a common fire box, if you do low and slow smoking which will last 10 hours, You need to care your fire a few times during the 10 hours. 10 minutes are much worh of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion:

1. My burner works fine with 3/4" charcoal. It is worth of you spending 10 minutes to break your charcoal down to 3/4" size.

2.My burner does NOT work with LOW GRADE pellet, or pellet with additives.

3.You need my PID controller and fan designed for my burner

Squeal Appeal
08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the warning !!
I do my own testing, and make my own judgement...When i first used this device, i only temp. mounted it just to test, fire and smoke blew from the lid.. BUT,,, after finding out how to seal it up, it worked perfectly. I also used FULL size Charcoal, I also mixed apple wood chuncks, and pellets. ( all mixed together) still had no problems.....As you can see from my photos, the burner is on a very large Smooker, Cooker......I have also used a Trager pellet hopper, but it often would go out and pour all the pellets into then burner pot....This burner can be used along with my fire box,,,,
1 To add smoke from pellets
2 Smoke from wood chunks
3 To assist in contolling pit temps
I also am Modifing my Smoker,Cooker just for this devise, to be helpful to consumers. ( To Help in determing ) if this burner should be used on there cooker....
5 There are several Things that must be correct, before this burner will work BETTER for you....Air ,intake,exhaust,draft control,etc...
6. When i am throughly finished with the modification,and installations, and ran all test, and Cooked at Competitions with it, i will post all of my findings and recomendations for others....
NOW GET OFF MY THREAD !!!! Please :grin:

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
A true story:

A man in Beijing asked for SIEMENS compensation as his SIMENS refri exploded.
SIEMENS answered no, it is not possible.
The man got very angry and reported to many news media.
Later the media found that the man put hair gel inside his refri, and the hair gel exploded

WOOD pellet stove is very popular in American.
But there is not enough saw dust to make WOOD pellet.
Someone tried to make pellet by straw and grass.
Then WOOD pellet stove does not work any more with straw/grass pellet.
The sugar content of Straw /grass is much higher than WOOD.
The sugar will result in clanker other than ash.
Ash will be blown away from burning pot.
Clanker simply blocks burning pot.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I have sold burner, and grill/smoker built from this smoker to American, Canada, and Australia.

A BBQ trader in Australia BOUGHT my smoker. I am sure that DR-KY knows whom he is.

I NEVER receive negative feedback from ANY buyer.

Mr.Uk made his own burner according to my sketch.
There may be some misunderstanding.
I am not sure whether Mr.UK understand me fully or not. I doubt.

Squeal Appeal
08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I used Trager Smoker Pellets, NOT fuel pellets for heat..... Some say the is no difference, but i can tell a BIG difference.......
I also used FULL size Charcoal Bricketts, not broken into small pieces
I also used wood chunks, not saw dust,or wood shavings....

I will post what i see, and find after all is done, good and or bad.....

Woodpelletsmoker, i am disappointed in some of your actions, comments, on this thread.

NUFF SAID

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I will wait and graciously accept you apology Dr.K_Y as soon as you offer it...

Do you realise that you are using a false result/conclusion to mislead BBQ Brethren here.

woodpelletsmoker
08-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I used Trager Smoker Pellets, NOT fuel pellets for heat..... Some say the is no difference, but i can tell a BIG difference.......
I also used FULL size Charcoal Bricketts, not broken into small pieces
I also used wood chunks, not saw dust,or wood shavings....

I will post what i see, and find after all is done, good and or bad.....

Woodpelletsmoker, i am disappointed in some of your actions, comments, on this thread.

NUFF SAID

Apology!

I am told that a better business man will close his mouth under such circumstance.
But I am more an Inventer, designer, and manufacturer than a business man. When I saw someone mislead pople by false facts, I can not help to fight.
I will try my best to calm down .

Squeal Appeal
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Let the ones that are using your products, help you. Remember (Word of Mouth), can be good and bad...
I also am an Inventer,Designer,and make some of my own products. If and when i see something that is wrong in your design I will let YOU know, and give you my ideas on making necessary changes
I also, being that i own this burner, will make the necessary modifications to it that i see fit.....To improve it , if it can be done........
Now Man-Up and apologise .....

Pitmaster T
08-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I am going to make an attempt to actually DEFEND woodpellet and he said something that has me thinking. Perhaps he will become wiser in this. He says correctly he needs to "calm down." He also says he is an inventor. I believe he has passion in his product... people that make things tend to defend to the death. That passion to create something is essentially why the damn thing got made in the first place.

They typically are not good at selling the product and handling the questions. I remind you all of the adage of your corporate IT guy that insists the problem with your computer or program is you and not the program, meanwhile they end up correcting the very syntax that caused the issue. It is the nature of what makes an inventor great!

Lately, due to whatever, Wood has been pretty hard on those who question him... and that does NOT mean he sells a bad product I guess.

NOW I HAVE to mention the Stoker because all this sort of happened before when the Stoker rolled out in 2006 and 2007. Now its a great product... but it took time. It also took John Jackson a bit to get his bearings on how to handle the success of his product. I am not mentioning the Stoker because I work for him either... or even because I am a Stoker benefactor. I mention it because the history is the same.

John initially was so busy he could not handle the volume when the Stoker came out. He lived in Cali and and initailly there are things you just don't know are going to happen until you sell the units. The first thing was the stoker got screwy when it was cold. He FIXED that but the legend went on. Here is me telling everyone it was fixed.

Cold
STOKER TEST III -b - COLD ENVIRONMENT TEST - YouTube

Then I had problems....at first I was blamed for the problem... then it wqas apparent there was a glitch because the power supply. I later proved the unit could handle 41 pounds of charcoal and about half a cord face of wood.

Again its NOT an endorsement of Stoker... I am relating start-up problems here with a similar product.

3rd Rocks BBQ Stoker Failure - Lost 2007 Video - Part 1 - YouTube

3rd Rocks BBQ Stoker Failure - Lost 2007 Video - Part 2 - YouTube

Then there was another problem John could never foresee. Core out.
Core out
Answer to jxhopper's Query - Stoker - YouTube

POINT

I think we need to understand that this forum is FAMOUS for diddling with **** until we make it work. I did so with the Stoker, heck, we all dickered with the frailties of the New Branfels Smoker, The UDS all sort of things and we are going to get passionate about things. The mentioning of the Stoker is really to show we have been here before. Wang, yes, the best way to handle adversity (and mind you I say this as a seller... not as Pitmaster) is to calm down and NOT assassinate someone's character just because they question or mention a problem that is known or even rumored.

I Know KY and know him to be honest. People know me and know I would not ask you for money. They say in sales "if you are arguing your not selling" and the ABCs of selling are ALWAYS BE SELLING.

Explain yourself with no insults. I say that as a seller, not the character I play here in this forum.

It will work out fine I swear if you do this. John I think eventually had to hire someone to speak for him while he worked on making his product better... and it is. I know you love and are dedicated to your invention (well.... its a modification on an existing product thats been on the marfket for at least 6 years) and take it personally when someone talks about it... it is like a child. I understand, but take your advice and "calm down."

Pitmaster T
08-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Also, a fact is not false to the possessor of the fact until another credible explanation is offered. Just because someone says "I heard the Stoker freaks out under 20 degrees" did not mean that those who repeated it were trying to malign the product... It meant that the product once had that limitation, was fixed and the person saying he head it had dated info.

Not everyone is out to get you that has questions or offers evidence about what they heard.

bobbyp
08-06-2012, 05:06 AM
So what have I said that is incorrect or misleading?
Residue or additives in pellet forms a kind of clanker and blocks the grate.
The heat and air then are forced to go up to fuel bin and flamble gases are released from pellet and may expolde. The "explode" is also contributed to your PID controller and
fan.

This is exactly what I said in my post??????????
I warned of potencial problems relating to the type of fuel used in the burner.
I would be interested to know (from an engineering point of view) why you feel that the use of a different type of thermostat and fan system could prevent the risk as detailed above?
If you are already aware of this potencial design/use flaw, what steps have you taken to stop it happening? What warnings are you giving to purchasers to avoid the circumstances occuring?
Maybe you should withdraw the unit from sale until this issue is fully resolved and/or stop refering to it as a "pellet burner" and suggest it only be used for charcoal.

Product safety.
When you buy something over the internet, the "sale" is made in the country of origin, and your "property" is then shipped to you by the company envolved.
You would not be able to certificate it for sale in the uk, and probably not in the US.
The designer has just admitted that there is a particular design flaw, that if used with highly calorific resinous hardwood pellets, it may explode, or more likely, cause an explosion within the cooking chamber.
Due to the fact that the "sale" was made outside the US or UK, there would be little or no comeback should a serious incident occur (international court proceedings are very longwinded and rarely succesful).

In essence the design is very, very clever.
in practicality, it is with full admission of the designer, flawed and potencialy dangerous.

Every time we fire up a an offset/pellet burner even a UDS, we are filling the cooking chamber with a combination of air, water vapour and flammable gases. All you have to do is get those in the wrong proportions and bang.

Play safely kids.

Rob

Teamfour
08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Suddenly I seem to be no longer interested. Not because of the product mind you.

Ditto. Even realizing what Pitmaster T said about inventor passion as true, something about all threads involving Wang's products make me uneasy.

Squeal Appeal
08-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I mounted (TEMP) to my Backwoods Competitor Pro Jr. Just to do futher testing, No controller hooked up.....and using Traeger pellets.....put 2 pieces of lite charcol in burner,turned on fan,filled fuel bin 1/2 full of pellets.....Put on lid......33 minutes later the temp in Smoker was 277 deg.....turned of blower....checked 1 hour later temps fell to 238 deg...turned fan back on ran for 3 minutes.....temps rose back to 272.... i kept doing this hoping to run out of pellets... All of this started at 3:05 PM and the Smoker at this time is at 249 deg and it is 7:47 PM ......4 3/4 hours on less than 2 lbs of pellets.... (fuel bin is still almost 1/4 full,and there has not been a back burn in Fuel Bin) When i get my new controller,i'll get it hooked up and see what happens.....also i"ll need to make an adapter to mount the burner correctly....JFYI

BBQchef33
08-08-2012, 12:25 AM
To Wang, and All others...

i was going to send this privately to Wang, but it IS something all should know.

As stated in the titles to the vendor section. The section is for sales, advertising, testimonials, etc.. it also states the good AND the BAD. It falls under our charter of free flow of information. We cannot protect vendors from bad reviews as long as they are factual.

Not all testimonials and reviews will be glowing ..... in fact some may be very harsh. They will be left here to allow vendors to clarify the problems. however, this is not a place to bring up alternative products(as seen in colonels thread). Thats just bad form. if anyone wants to compare or offer alternatives, please do that in qtalk or woodpile.

That being said, wang, please stop taking the reviews and discussion of the products as negative. No one here is trying to malign you, disrespect your product, or smear your name. They are posting factual information they discovered about your product. Instead of becoming defensive, clarify the situation, or take it as constructive criticism and address the issues brought forth. But to accuse folks of lying, working for competitords or trying to smear your name or product is not helping peoples views of your customer service. Whether you are an inventor, or investor, you need the customers to be comfortable with you and your product. Take these conversations as positive opportunities to improve things. Nothing more, nothing less.

dave2012bbq
08-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Wang, Even harsh reviews can be useful to improve a product. A warning on what not to do is also useful. I'm getting into Kamado and one of the big warning is not to open the lid quickly or a flashback can occur. It's a nature of slow cooking with charcoal using hot charcoal and air depletion to control the temp. There are lots of warning on what type of woods not to use for smoking (from flare ups, to bad taste and poisons, etc.) Some kamado comes with many warning and explanations and some don't. The ones that don't will likely get complains when someone blows the lid off when open it quickly. The blow off the lid can happen with any Kamado but will occur more for those mfg that don't give a warning. For customers' satisfaction and safety, it's best to include the warning and instructions on how to properly use the product.

There no perfect product, especially on earlier models. Each revision allows for improvements. The worse review may be a non-review where issues can not be address (for example "I don't or I like it." -- It may be true that the reviewer doesn't like it or like it, but there's no indication on what is wrong, what right and what can be improved or fixed.)

I would like to know, for preventing flashbacks, it's it best to open the fuel lid with the fan on, off or turn it on then off? If you open the lid with the fan on, will ash be blown out of the top of the bin?

SA, How many pound of charcoal per hour are you using? For that amount of charcoal, how much can be cooked (x Ibs of briskets, y Ibs of roast, # of pork butts)? Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished products (bbq and food) and your assessment on taste using Wang's burner vs traditional smoking.

woodpelletsmoker
08-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Low and Long smoking is NOT accepted in China. I can say NONE does it.
When I introduce it to Chinese, our chinese people reply that I am idoit.
Even some chinese living in Texas do not know this low and long smoking.
I guess these chinese never enter social life of native American.
Usually we eat Hot and Fast BBQ.
Picture can not show taste, which shall be No.1 concern.
But I do make bark and smoke ring,looks great.
and My brisket is very tender as I smoke at 140 F for 10+ hours usually.
My smoker is 280 square inches grill size, quite small. Also I add 1" thickness fire cement inside wall. Usually I use about 3 to 4 lbs of charcoal.
Be honest, I still do not understand flashbacks yet.
My burner is REVERSE flow. When you turn off the fan, the flame will come out of air inlet. In earlier design, the flame entered to fan through air inlet and melt the fan rotator. In new design I add shutter on the air inlet to prevent flame entering into fan.
Before I open cover of BURNER, I always turn off fan first.
Just to prevent blowing ash up to my eyes

dave2012bbq
08-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Low and Long smoking is NOT accepted in China. I can say NONE does it.
When I introduce it to Chinese, our chinese people reply that I am idoit.
Even some chinese living in Texas do not know this low and long smoking.
I guess these chinese never enter social life of native American.
Usually we eat Hot and Fast BBQ.
Picture can not show taste, which shall be No.1 concern.
But I do make bark and smoke ring,looks great.
and My brisket is very tender as I smoke at 140 F for 10+ hours usually.
My smoker is 280 square inches grill size, quite small. Also I add 1" thickness fire cement inside wall. Usually I use about 3 to 4 lbs of charcoal.
Be honest, I still do not understand flashbacks yet.
My burner is REVERSE flow. When you turn off the fan, the flame will come out of air inlet. In earlier design, the flame entered to fan through air inlet and melt the fan rotator. In new design I add shutter on the air inlet to prevent flame entering into fan.
Before I open cover of BURNER, I always turn off fan first.
Just to prevent blowing ash up to my eyes

The "flashbacks" or "backdraft" is when there is very hot fuel that is oxygen depleted and when air/oxygen is introduced, the fuel essentially explodes. These conditions occurs in building with fires that have the windows and door closed. Fuel off gases saturates the air. The someone open the door, the room explodes with fire from the gases and solid fuel. Arsonist and the military do it with flour, charcoal or other fuel that can be dispersed in fine particulates. There's a movie "Back Draft" that has an arsonist using it with a factious liquid fuel. With the kamado, the off gasses from the charcoal builds up and there a burst of fire that can shoot out then the lid is opened. Some recommend opening the vents before opening the lid.

Holding the meat at 140 F for 10 hours is long and slow. Most of my bbq has been with a hot fire in the old days with tender well marbled meats steaks or rotessier cooking. With the super lean tough meats in the US now for choice and below grades, long slow cook or tenderizing solution are needed for all but the primal cuts.

woodpelletsmoker
08-09-2012, 06:36 AM
My burning pot is 4"x4"x1"
If sealed correctly and with my fan, the pellet "being burnt" is no more than 4"x4"x1.5"
It is a much small quantity compared with fire box in an average size offset.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
08-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Woodpelletsmoker, are you saying that your smoker is reverse flow due to the the flame flowing out of the air inlet once the fan stops? Actually that's flashback or backdraft, as the heated fuel seeks out air to burn in. Smoke has unburnt fuel in it and an (air) starved fire is a whole lot of unburnt fuel looking for air. In the right ratios the heat, fuel and air = explosion!

First let clear up reverse flow -
For most of us reverse flow is the smoke is made to follow a longer path through the smoker. Smoke flows from the firebox to the far end of the smoker and back exiting near the fire box. See below

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oNYSV6UnT1I/TXcSI2sGN5I/AAAAAAAAFsQ/ytNo9QD8Lo0/s1600/reverse%2Bflow%2Bdiagram.png

Then let's look and flashback / backdraft -
This happens when hot fuel finds air, the fuel catches fire. The fire makes the air and fuel mix more as the heat makes the air more turbulent. This makes the flame hotter, etc it can reach a point where it explodes.

here is a flashback / backdraft you can try for yourself it won't blow up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hG7Mbkj2AQ

woodpelletsmoker
08-10-2012, 02:21 AM
My BURNER is reverse flow, You mention the revese flow of SMOKER.
I just made a reverse flow SMOKER, please check
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140804

Squeal Appeal
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
This Thread is for Charcoal burner ,,, not for smoker..Your Burner is not reverse flow. There is only one direction of flow of heat and smoke coming from burner . It is for burning of Pellets, wood chunks, and small pieces of charcoal. If you wish you can also burn sawdust, for (heat and smoke),,,,,,,,,Also when doing my test (again) without controller, i have to manually turn blower on and off. When doing so i have waited as long as 30 minutes before turning on blower.. Never have i had to re-light the burner, seems like the pellets keep burning so slow without a blower.. Temps only dropped about 10 degrees, in a 30 minute time frame.(Backwoods Competitor Pro Jr)....I am adding a seal, and latches for the lid.... As soon as i get my controller i will do a test run and provide either video or photos.......

Squeal Appeal
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Burn has not occured up in Bin with proper seal (so far)......

dave2012bbq
08-14-2012, 02:56 AM
If the fan is always running, very slow to maintain the temperature, the risk of flashback or backdraft should be reduced, but I'm not a pyro expert. Even pyro experts make mistakes (e.g., prior US requirement for fan on flour silo to reduce explosions). It seem like the main risk is when a sealed container is opened and introduces air to super heated fuel (like on a Kamado). Possible turning on the fan to have a controlled burn of the gases for a few minutes, turn off the fan and open the door. I think only time and experience will tell. The kamado is thousands of years old and we still finding things out today.
I think Pellet's fan is a brushless DC computer blower. So sparks from the fan should be minimal from static or friction. A fixed steel screens can be added to less the chances of a spark from the fan to ignite the gases in the firepot.

Is the reverse flow for Pellet's firepot is the air flow goes down instead of up?

woodpelletsmoker
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Your mail box is full
1.Please try a NEW battery
2.Please exchange "+" and "-" poles

woodpelletsmoker
08-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Following shall be an PM, but other buyers may meet same puzzle, I post here for all your reference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Receive returned WOLF.
I test it and it works perfectly.

I find you set P1=0,T=0 and P2=0 and P3=0
When you turn on, the meat probe immediately is above "0", and the meat probe takes over control of fire immediately. As the meat probe is above target value of P1, it will not turn on the fan. Your fan will never run.

Whatever the reason is, I thank you very much for your patient and trust.
I will return you a TIGER instead of WOLF.

Please make sure your power source is 12 VDC and 2+ amps.
Please make sure the low battery light of "batt" will not blink.

woodpelletsmoker
08-15-2012, 02:30 AM
If you want to control your smoker by pit probe, and use meat probe just as monitoring but not as controlling, you can simply set P1=550. Usually your meat will never reach to 550F, and your fire will be controlled by pit probe

Chocolatesoupcan
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Your mail box is full
1.Please try a NEW battery
2.Please exchange "+" and "-" poles

Is the black wire positive or negative?
I don't think I have seen this information anywhere.

woodpelletsmoker
08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
usually black is "-"

Squeal Appeal
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
71472 Perfect Scores all 10s ....using charcoal burner and Tiger, adapted to Backwoods Smoker,,,, used Traeger apple Pellets,
Outside temps went from 75 to 45, north winds at 20+ mph and rain.....Temps varied 3 degs. used 20lbs bag of pellets, cooked for 11 hours at 250 deg..... Thanks Wang

woodpelletsmoker
10-07-2012, 10:28 PM
WOW!
May we have more pictures and detailed story.