PDA

View Full Version : Communication from the Organizer?

tdwalker
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Our first competition will be the Sam's Club in Pleasantville, NJ, upcoming later this month. We have not heard from the organizers at all.

What sort of communication do you expect or normally get in advance of a competition? Is it just show up on the day and attend the cook's meeting?

dmprantz
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
For a normal competition, I expect to receive eMail or USPS confirmation soon after my application is received, and there are usually 2-3 eMails that precede the event.

For the Sam's club series this year, communication is minimal. The week of the event, Maybe Monday or Tuesday, expect to get a form letter eMail from the series coordinator with a little information.

dmp

Ford
08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
You'll get an email a week or 2 before with details. Most of the info is on the site now. It's the same for each contest. Setup starts at 8, power is available at noon. Leave right after awards. Can usually park a trailer Thursday night but have to move to contest site Friday morning. Bring your water with you. It's usually a long walk to their tap.

Wrench_H
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
For the Sam's Club contest in Greensboro, we got an email with a bunch of generic stuff on Wednesday of the week of the event. Once we got there, we realized that most of the stuff in the email wasn't accurate anyway. As Ford said, bring water. Also try to minimize your dishes as washing them can be a PITA when you have to walk 300 yards everytime you want water. The email said you couldn't have a car in your area, then they said that you could when we got there only to later come around and tell everyone to move their cars. Luckily it rained for about an hour and everyone involved in organizing left for the night so we were able to setup about however we wanted to. Not to be too critical, but it is the most unorganized setup I've ever seen. This Troy fella seemed far more interested in impressing every middle aged woman within 200 yards than actually running a bbq contest.

DawgPhan
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
For the Sam's Club contest in Greensboro, we got an email with a bunch of generic stuff on Wednesday of the week of the event. Once we got there, we realized that most of the stuff in the email wasn't accurate anyway. As Ford said, bring water. Also try to minimize your dishes as washing them can be a PITA when you have to walk 300 yards everytime you want water. The email said you couldn't have a car in your area, then they said that you could when we got there only to later come around and tell everyone to move their cars. Luckily it rained for about an hour and everyone involved in organizing left for the night so we were able to setup about however we wanted to. Not to be too critical, but it is the most unorganized setup I've ever seen. This Troy fella seemed far more interested in impressing every middle aged woman within 200 yards than actually running a bbq contest.

:shocked: