PDA

View Full Version : need so help on pre prepping meats

Smokin' Aces
07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
For a kcbs event or the sans club evemt, how much can I prep at home with out not being able to uese themeat in a comp

Anchors Smokeshop
07-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Are you competing at BOTB this weekend?

Smokin' Aces
07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
No sir I will be in north carolina

mobow
07-29-2012, 07:07 PM
you can trim all you want. no seasoning, marinating or injecting till after inspection. keiyh

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-29-2012, 07:18 PM
I just do everything at the comp to be on the safe side.

cbagby64
07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
We also trim before we go....trying to trim chicken at comps is miserable IMO.

Bubba Gup
07-29-2012, 08:06 PM
The rule of thumb I follow is you can take away from the meat, but you can't add to it. Is there something specific you're looking to do?

Pack-A-Smokes
07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
We trim chicken and brisket before hand because those are the meats that causes most time to be used in trimming. We have been doing it for 3 years and have never had a problem.

porkingINpublic
07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
If I can do it at home in my AC with running water than I will! Lol

Smokin' Aces
07-30-2012, 07:26 AM
thank you everyone i do normally trim at the comp but this time i have double booked myself and i have a wedding the night of the cook so i kinda have to prep earlier

GreenDrake
07-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I generally trim in the pit the day of. This next weekend will be a hot one, so I think I am going to at least do my chicken prep ahead of time and bring the same number of thighs fresh as well. Never know what can happen between here and there, so I am doubling the chicken for this one, maybe save some time, maybe not.

The trim ahead idea is in my mind because last event two weeks ago I had some gorgeous butts with beautiful money muscles, once I opened the cryovac my heart sank...they were rancid. Wrecked my game for the butts totally. Got murdered in pork that comp.

So a question on pre trimmed chicken. How do you guys transport it if you do not brine but scrape. I scrape my skins and don't want to lose moisture or pre-season, so do you just re-wrap it on the trimmed thigh, bag it and keep it on ice? Silly question maybe but begs asking since I am going to try it out.

bbqfun
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Don't want to lose pre-season????

Bubba Gup
07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
So a question on pre trimmed chicken. How do you guys transport it if you do not brine but scrape. I scrape my skins and don't want to lose moisture or pre-season, so do you just re-wrap it on the trimmed thigh, bag it and keep it on ice? Silly question maybe but begs asking since I am going to try it out.

After I scrape and drape (re-wrap the skin around the thigh) they go back in the orignal styrofoam tray with the original plastic laid over top. Try to leave the original sticker in view for meat inspection. These trays happen to fit perfectly inside a Food Saver bag. Seal it up and off to the comp. Never had a problem.

Contracted Cookers
07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I generally trim in the pit the day of. This next weekend will be a hot one, so I think I am going to at least do my chicken prep ahead of time and bring the same number of thighs fresh as well. Never know what can happen between here and there, so I am doubling the chicken for this one, maybe save some time, maybe not.

The trim ahead idea is in my mind because last event two weeks ago I had some gorgeous butts with beautiful money muscles, once I opened the cryovac my heart sank...they were rancid. Wrecked my game for the butts totally. Got murdered in pork that comp.

vaccum seal

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-30-2012, 09:51 AM
+1 on the vac seal. Thighs in one bag and skins in another. I vac because if you ever fail to keep the ice water drained and a zip lock opens on ya...there is nothing worst than raw chicken water sloshing around a cooler.

Not that this has ever happened to me! :icon_blush:

Just sayin'

GreenDrake
07-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Hmmm, got me thinking about the vac bag, I can lay them out nicely and vac it up to keep their form like that too. Bueno tip, thanks guys.

SmokinOkie
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I like to inspect the meat at home. Ever hear of anyone opening up their rib 3 pack on site and they're spoiled.

Chicken (trim at home so I can inspect and match sizes and buy more if needed)
Ribs (trim at home and work for consistent sizes/weight)
Pork (open at home, check for smell, no prep)
Brisket (open at home, trim/prep then seal)

I vacu seal the chicken and ribs but not the other two. Just use large zip locks. I do the last two on the Thursday before the contest.

Smokin' Aces
07-31-2012, 09:37 AM
i was just always thought they needed to see the store tag on the meats

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
i was just always thought they needed to see the store tag on the meats
Not required for KCBS. I believe other organizations do.

didisea
07-31-2012, 04:12 PM
I always to the chicken before I go to the contest. I start on Monday and vac seal and freeze them. If I need more then I can go find some. I trim the ribs and pork the day before, and if there are any bad racks of ribs I can replace them. I even had a 2 pack of pork butts labeled "bone in" but when I opened them up they were bonless. I have bought a 3 pack of ribs where the top rack was nice, but the other two were really fatty. So, never hurts to inspect things before you get to where you are going, so that you can fix the problem before you get to the contest and are miles away from your meat sources.

bam
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
We prep all meats at home so after meat inspection season,inject place in cooler. More time to say hello to friends check out who has new toys and drink some beers.

Smokin' Aces
08-14-2012, 08:03 AM
what is the absolute earliest you can cut the meeat and be safe without having to worry about gonig bad

K-Train
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I do chicken Weds night, and pork and ribs Thurs. This past Thursday I discovered one of our butts was rancid. Another reason to prep at home, I had time to replace it.

Muzzlebrake
08-14-2012, 08:58 AM
what is the absolute earliest you can cut the meeat and be safe without having to worry about gonig bad

There are too many variables to give an absolute answer for that. It is going to depend on the freshness of your meats and how your storage capabilities.

This Is How We Que It
08-15-2012, 06:15 AM
I go to a store that specializes in meats so I never have to worry about messed up ribs, pork, etc. Find one in your area, tell them what you need and for what.

Ford
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM

As long as the sell by date is after the contest date you should be ok trimming up to 3 days in advance. If you don't have a vacuum sealer the ziplock bags and get as much air out as possible. Lots of ice in the cooler!

JerryA
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Chicken I always trim at home, and it is the one that gets the most attention to the "sell by date" I try to buy chicken that has a sell by date past the contest date. I keep ice packs on the table as I trim and keep the chicken sandwiched between the ice packs as it takes me over an hour to trim chicken. After trimming I vacuum seal and put on ice or in the coldest part of the fridge.
I also try to trim the bigger meats at home and vacuum seal, but those bags are expensive, so depending on what time I will arrive to the contest I may just do it on-site.
One good thing about doing it at home, like others have mentioned, is being able to inspect your meat. I once opened up a pork butt 2-pack and it had a ton of tiny bone chards embedded in the fat cap and throughout the meat. It took a few minutes to dig them out and being able to run it under the sink at home is great.
One tip about holding in ice is to add water as the air space between the ice can be higher than the temp you want your meats in, and adding water gets you down to 32°
I've kept trimmed pork in a cooler from one weekend to the next without any problem, just keep checking the ice. (Also, my meat supplier knows I won't use for a week or so, so he supplies me with the freshest available)