PDA

View Full Version : Cooking alone, any tips?

bbqdavarrow
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
First time I will doing a comp by myself, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

jaestar
07-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I compete alone. The biggest thing for me is to keep everything organized. Not only your site, but also you timelines. Once I am done using something I put it back and I don't get things out until I need them. I have a set time when I do all of my meat prep, rubs, injections, etc. and when thing need to go on the smoker. If you have a smart phone, download a kitchen timer app or use multiple alarms on your phone. Try to prep as much as possible at home. I trim all my meat and have all my rubs, injections & sauces done Thursday night.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Don't forget that you put the brisket back into the smoker at 11am because you didn't think it had enough bark and then realize at 1:06 pm it is in the smoker instead of the Cambro.

Not that it happened to me. :icon_blush:

Just sayin'

Podge
07-28-2012, 07:27 PM
don't get drunk

Tack
07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
have a timeline and FOLOW it. And do as much prep work at home as you can.

BigDaddyJT
07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
have a timeline and FOLOW it. And do as much prep work at home as you can.

x2 Also remember to get sleep/rest. Enjoy the experience and don't stress.

JT

fnbish
07-29-2012, 05:51 AM
don't get drunk

Awesomely funny and very wise words at the same time :clap2:.

Having the butt and brisket done and holding a few hours before turn ins makes for less scrambling when turns ins happen and I'm messing with chicken and ribs.

TomB
07-29-2012, 06:05 AM
A timeline is crucial. Make a spreadsheet (or in my case a table) of each meat and what needs to be done and at what time from injection to turn-in. I keep the timeline and a summary of the cooking process for each meat in plastic sleeves in a plastic binder near my prep table (plastic protects against my spilling and ruining my notes).

bbqdavarrow
07-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I told my wife I am learning that the key is a timeline and stay organized, she said "than your screwed!" :cry:

TomB
07-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Enlist her or someone else to help make boxes and turn them in. My wife a and daugher have helped me in the past (only two previous comps under my belt). My next comp is in August. Have a buddy joining me to help.

bbqdavarrow
07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Enlist her or someone else to help make boxes and turn them in. My wife a and daugher have helped me in the past (only two previous comps under my belt). My next comp is in August. Have a buddy joining me to help.

My wife and daughter quit the team last year! and all friends and buddies are busy hmmmm??? So I am looking forward to the new challenge

boogiesnap
07-29-2012, 09:25 AM
dave, which event?

bbqdavarrow
07-29-2012, 10:08 AM
dave, which event?

Sam's Club - Long Island Aug. 18th

boogiesnap
07-29-2012, 10:11 AM
i see. i should be there too, if you need something holler. but you probably don't want me running your boxes. :-P

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
The key thing is know your cooker. Make a few practice runs at home to see how long you can go without adding fuel to the cooker so you know how long you can sleep. Unless you have a fancy cooker that will go all day on one load of coal. I did some test runs with no meat on the smoker to learn mine. Get a cot or lounge chair to sleep on. If not the ants will love you. I slept on air matress on ground and woke up with 100 ant bites. Good luck and happy smoking!

JimmyDAL
07-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Where's Sledneck?

crd26a
07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Here's the keys for me.

1. Write down your times. Read them.
2. Read your times again.
3. Prep as much as possible ahead of time, esp. chicken on Thursday if you can. Have sauces and injections mixed, making sure all sauces / injections are labeled.
4. Organize yourself. Always have things in the same place each time you cook.
5. Read your times.
6. Walk to the turn-in location on Friday and time it there and back. Adjust cooking & prep times as needed, especially if you're used to a box runner.
7. Read your revised times.
8. Look at your setup for preparing turn-in boxes. Where will the meat be? Where is your cutting board? Where are knives / brushes / trash cans / paper towels located? Where is the turn-in box at? Is everything easy at hand or do you typically need to ask someone to hand you something? If so, move it. have it ready at hand
9. Read the revised times
10. Prep and cook
11.Play liars dice with Mo-Kan Meatheads and remind Wayne he's a prick

Sledneck
07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Where's Sledneck?

Trade deadline was approaching. I was dealt to jacked up for a first round pitch bitch and a brisket.

Gowan
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
If you can't get somebody to run boxes for you, tell the organizer you will be cooking solo and ask for a space as close as possible to turn-ins. Most organizers will be happy to work with you - possibly even provide you with a volunteer to run your boxes if they have some extra people available.

Muzzlebrake
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Trade deadline was approaching. I was dealt to jacked up for a first round pitch bitch and a brisket.

I'm waiting for you to clear waivers, word has it you can't pass the trade physical......

didisea
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
A couple of weeks before - find a brisket and put it to nap in the BBQ refrig.
Monday - Chicken prep - freeze the thighs
Tuesday night- Clean all the gear - go through the packing checklist and make sure you have all the supplies
Wednesday - Get the butts and ribs from supplier, get any missing supplies
Wednesday night - prep the ribs, trim the brisky and butts, make the parsley boxes up if you can.
Thursday night - Pack everything except meat/sauce/refrig items

I have a knife and cutting board for each meat (except chicken) so when I'm prepping boxes I just go put the knife and cutting board in the dish pan. I don't do many if any dishes at the comp. I just just put the dirty dishes in the bus pans and tote them home and run everything except knives through the dishwasher. Keep it simple, remember less is more.

columbia1
07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Pre-build your boxes as soon as they issue them to you, you can place a damp paper towel on top of the garnish and they will hold fine for a day in the cooler.

Gowan
07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Bring lots of water, and keep some handy at all times. It's terribly easy to dehydrate at a contest, especially when you are engaged in a solo effort. Nothing ruins an event like heatstroke.

bbqdavarrow
07-31-2012, 01:43 PM
thanks for all the useful info I have been receiving! I appreciate it!

Sledneck
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm waiting for you to clear waivers, word has it you can't pass the trade physical......

Damn liver