PDA

View Full Version : FEC's for comp. cooking

Smokin' Hicks
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I just got my FEC and want ot say I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!!
but one problem i have noticed with it is when you load it down with meat it seems like the cup that the pellets fall into is so small that it is constantly feeding pellets and, since it is so full of meat it needs to constantly feed pellets to keep the Temp. steady....while it is doing this is I have noticed that it does not get nearly the smoke flavor that it does when it has just 2 or 3 piece of meat in it....does anyone run into this issue with a FEC?...at a comp do you stagger your meats as much as possible so as to not load the cooker down as much therefore producing more smoke? Just seems like the smoke flavor should be a little bit stronger....any suggestions to help this issue would be appreciated....Got the first comp. with the FEC coming up and wanted to try to avoid this issue

Nordy
07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Most will modify their cook by two staging temps... meaning starting off at 180 degrees for 6-8 hours then bumping the temp up to 250-275 to finish. The lower temp seems to generate more smoke etc... AND... always start off on a preheated pit.

jbrink01
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
At a comp it should be a non-issue with 2 butts and a brisket.

Shake'nBake
07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Congrats or your FEC100!

early mornin' smokin'
07-27-2012, 08:24 AM
congrats on the FEC, i saw a mod where someone took expanded metal, made a box directly above and to the right of the pellet hopper and placed a chunk of wood in there to burn along with the pellets.

Svenmac
07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I usually let me FEC run about an hour to get the internal metal hot and the temp swings to calm down before i put meat on it. When I load my comp meats (like jbrink01 said) I am putting 2 butts and a brisket in the FEC.

Thats only 30 lbs or so of meat. How much are you stuffing in there for comps?

Smokin' Hicks
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
2 butts and a brisket is what I use for a comp. Guess it was more of a here's what happens when I load the FEC down with meat kinda question

The_Kapn
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I really never paid any attention to it.
The temp drops when I load cold meat into it and open the door a bunch doing it.
Then it recovers just fine.

Never thought the meat really cared as long as the cooker temp was higher than the meat temp so it would cook. :oops:

TIM

trucky9754
07-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I've cooked competition with FEC 100's for 3 years now and have never had a problem. If you start your cook at a lower temp you will get good smoke. I cater also and have loaded the pit with 16 butts and still didn't have a problem with not enough smoke. Trust your pit, it will smoke great for you.

Kosmo's Q
07-27-2012, 11:47 PM
One of the best cookers ever made IMO. Love'em!

Nordy
07-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Here's my startup procedure for starting off at low temp...

Set to 180 degrees and start.
Once fire is started and burning well, open pellet hopper lid (thus stopping feed of pellets)
Open the door and allow the fire to burn down to a small flame/smolder.
Close the door.
Temp should gradually increase, once it hits about 160 Shut the pellet hopper door

This is a much faster startup as the temps will stabilize low (180 deg) within a few min vs much longer if you allow it to start up normally due to the initial overshoot from the initial flow of pellets.

Nordy

djqualls
07-28-2012, 03:17 AM
And best of all, I'm at a Comp as I write this laying in bed reading while the FEC is tending to the fire! I use a remote thermometer to monitor the temp for added peace of mind.

It's a rough way to cook but I like the challenge.....:grin: