PDA

View Full Version : Wet Aging Brisket Question Please

Shiz-Nit
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Okay I am doing my 1st wet aging brisket and it is at 21 days and the factory pack is still tight.
I REALLY want to get this RIGHT so I do not KILL my family... Yes I have looked up past post... BUT I want to know I am spot on correct on this.

Any advice?

Red Valley BBQ
07-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Is that 21 days since the kill date or the date you bought it?

Muzzlebrake
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
What's your question?
What are you worried about?

Shiz-Nit
07-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Is that 21 days since the kill date or the date you bought it?

I have read from the kill date is best... if that is correct?

I got this brisket from Sam's Club.... it is 21 days from sell date

The fridge is a spare and has only been open a few times since stored... Temp set at 36*

Next would a SRF Brisket benifet any by doing this?

Thanks for any advice in adanced!!

Shiz-Nit
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
What's your question?
What are you worried about?

Just the general process
I will be smoking a aged brisket along side a fresh from Sam's Club to see which we like better...
I just want to get it right so know one gets sick... more less and if it is worth the time?

indianagriller
07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
i would only wet age if i knew the kill or pack date, not the sell by. I bought a brisket a few weeks ago at Sams that already had wet aged in their meat room for about 3 weeks. Only reason i knew that is because i had them bring out more packers as they didnt have any out so i looked at the box. SRF briskets are already aged out about 30days i believe. You should be ok with this one, when you pop the cryo you will know if its bad.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I can mail you some toilet paper!

Red Valley BBQ
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM

The fridge is a spare and has only been open a few times since stored... Temp set at 36*

The consensus of what I've read over the last couple of years is that 42-45 days of aging from the kill date is going to yield the best results. Of course, I'm going to bet that there will be some brethren that disagree with that.

Although, there is no guarantee that when you open the package after 42 days that it won't be spoiled. If it is spoiled when you open the package, you will know it. No doubt about that. The odor will jump up and slap you in the face. A properly aged brisket might have a slight pungent odor to it, but it won't be a rotten meat smell.

Any cut of beef will benefit from aging, either wet or dry. During the aging process the fiber of the muscles start to break down resulting in a more tender piece of meat. So yes, a SRF brisket will benefit from aging, but I would recommend becoming comfortable with the aging process before spending big bucks on a brisket.

bmanMA
07-25-2012, 08:44 PM

You need to know the kill date. I think you have chosen the wrong piece of meat to test this out with if you are looking to dial in the wet aging process.
I'll leave it to the more experienced folks here to correct me...

Get a case of something... or at least find somewhere you can pick through a case with the kill date known. Once they come out of the case I don't think you usually have any way to track the kill date.

Pack-A-Smokes
07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Although, there is no guarantee that when you open the package after 42 days that it won't be spoiled. If it is spoiled when you open the package, you will know it. No doubt about that. The odor will jump up and slap you in the face. A properly aged brisket might have a slight pungent odor to it, but it won't be a rotten meat smell.

Oh yeah, you will know! Pretty sure that was the last time I tossed my cookies. I didn't age it, but my butcher did. After I took it back, my wife came home an hour later and got sick from the smell still in the house.

Shiz-Nit
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah, you will know! Pretty sure that was the last time I tossed my cookies. I didn't age it, but my butcher did. After I took it back, my wife came home an hour later and got sick from the smell still in the house.

This weekend is the due date for the smoker... This is why I said i have a back up brisket...

I hope to make a box for a comp test coming up but the greens around here look sick (as not good... sick). this dry summer has really taken a hit on everthing huh?

Pack-A-Smokes
07-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Not sure why that posted twice. We had a storm last night that destroyed everything that we were trying to grow. If not dryness, storms destroy everything!

indianagriller
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
When / where is your first comp?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Shiz-Nit
07-25-2012, 09:49 PM
When / where is your first comp?

This is not my 1st comp... this is for my family just a test, review or what not that I what to try...

indianagriller
07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Yea, I saw it was for family, I thought you said something about an up coming comp...

DawgPhan
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
If you are going to do it, do it right. No sense in messing around with it. Buy a case of briskets with the packed date on the case, get a chest freezer and a PID controller and set the temp for 34 degrees. Only open the freezer just to check and rotate the briskets every couple of days/week.

Leaving a sam's club brisket in your fridge is pushing it safety wise and wont really give you the results you need to make an honest decision about if wet aging can help your comp bbq.

Smoke'n Ice
07-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Ask the person at the meat counter at Sam's to bring you a case of briskets so you can pick out the one you want as none on display meet your requirements or as a favor if you get to know him. He will bring a case out. Note the kill date marked on the end of the case, open it, pick out your briskets and he will then weigh and price them for you. The date on the case is the date you need for wet aging. I go a maximum of 45 days and watch for the formation of bubbles. If I see bubbles, it becomes dog food and I start over.

DawgPhan
07-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Ask the person at the meat counter at Sam's to bring you a case of briskets so you can pick out the one you want as none on display meet your requirements or as a favor if you get to know him. He will bring a case out. Note the kill date marked on the end of the case, open it, pick out your briskets and he will then weigh and price them for you. The date on the case is the date you need for wet aging. I go a maximum of 45 days and watch for the formation of bubbles. If I see bubbles, it becomes dog food and I start over.

I always have heard that you need to wait to see dime to quarter sized bubbles in the cryo. I definitely dont toss at the first sign of bubbles.

DawgPhan
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Someone asked so I will elaborate on the chest freezer to wet aging fridge conversion.

Pretty simple. Buy one of these.

http://cookingplanets.com/johnson-controls-digital-thermostat-control-unit

Plug the controller into the wall and the freezer into the controller. Put the temp probe in the freezer and set the temp to the desired temp(34-36).

The controller will turn the freezer on and off to control the temp. Kinda like a guru/stoker for your freezer.

Once things have settled in and I like to get it a day or so to settle, you can add your briskets.

But that is about it. The controller controls the temps, and the freezer is very efficient on energy and well insulated. Keep the lid closed and temps are going to be very solid. Just remember to put the probe towards the bottom of the freezer and you should have any worries.

QTEX
07-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I have wet aged them in the fridge for as long as six weeks not even knowing the kill date and have now learned something new here. Guess its no problem at least buying the briskets at Sams. My local Sams sells the brisket by the boxes to at least three high volume bbq joints down here so I am sure the ones I have bought just came out of the box too. A couple of times I put them in the freezer since I was not able to go to the comps I had planned, thawed before the next comp and all has been good.