PDA

View Full Version : Sanctioned Contest Near Harrisonville, Missouri?

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Has anyone heard of a contest that's been sanctioned near Harrisonville, MO? I got home from work today and had a message from someone claiming to have a KCBS sanctioned event this coming weekend "near Harrisonville". I checked the Bullsheet and the KCBS Web site and found nothing indicating a new contest had been sanctioned. Anyway, this person found my name and number somehow and called to see if my team would consider entering. I called back but got a voice message. Not sure if I'm up for three in four weeks but some of you MOFOs might be itching to get out again one more time.

Solidkick
10-18-2005, 06:34 PM
I think you need to come to Columbia and get in this contest for the Brain Injury Association of Missouri, very low pressure, good people, and a good cause.

The_Kapn
10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Since it is so hard to find (and I looked also), it might be a "turkey shoot" with real low attendance.
Or, a mess.

Interesting.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Kick, I have no way of getting my stuff down to Columbia this weekend... been borrowing/bartering trailers and pulling with my RAV4... NOT good on the tranny! Just had to get by this season til better arrangements can be made for next year. I am not going to participate this wekeend at whatever this one is up here as I already promised myself as a park board member to assist in set up of a local event here. Just thought someone might know about it or would be interested. If my schedule allows next year, I'll be a tentative "yes" for the Brain Injury Association of Missouri as I agree that we need to give back to our communities. In fact, I'm thinking of offering to do a cook for the local Meals on Wheels program as they are operating on a really tight budget. Anyone have any experience with this to offer advice?

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it kinda concerns me, too, Tim. I don't want to criticize anyone, though, for making an effort to organize a contest unless I see bad motives for organizing it in the first place. I'll pass it along if I find out anything worthwhile.

Ron_L
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
They've been posting on the BBQ Forum, looking for participants, too. The latest message says that they have 8 or 9 teams signed up. prizes seem low... $500 for GC, $100 for each meat categroy 1st place.

The_Kapn
10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it kinda concerns me, too, Tim. I don't want to criticize anyone, though, for making an effort to organize a contest unless I see bad motives for organizing it in the first place. I'll pass it along if I find out anything worthwhile.
I really was not saying anything negative at all.
It is just nice (and rare) to find an event that has been under-promoted or, for some other reason, does not draw a huge field!
I would jump on those in a heartbeat if we ever found one down here.
"Turkey Shoot" means--easy to win compared to hunting a turkey in the wild.

And, 1st year events are sometimes a mess as the organizers learn how to do it!

TIM

The_Kapn
10-18-2005, 07:21 PM
They've been posting on the BBQ Forum, looking for participants, too. The latest message says that they have 8 or 9 teams signed up. prizes seem low... $500 for GC, $100 for each meat categroy 1st place.
Thanks Ron--found it.
I am always curious about these little mysteries.

Hundred bucks to play.
Paying 1/3 of the current field.
Low $$-- but good odds of getting some of your $$ back or making a nickle or two (depending on who shows up) http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

They do not say sanctioned there--just using KCBS rules and Reps.
Sounds like a practice event-- hoping to be sanctioned next year to me.

Arthur, Il was a "7 team" event last year. This year, drew 47 teams including about 12-15 heavy hitters. Reported to be a good event last year and even better this year with the practice.

I would jump on that "in a Florida minute" if someone did it down here--for sure!

Should be fun.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Can't myself, although Tim, you're making me WANT to! I already have a commitment this Saturday to my community and to my daughter.

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh wait a second! Just saw that it is a Sat/Sun event... I MIGHT be able to make it afterall if the wife doesn't flip out over the cash! I will have to call this Jessica person tomorrow and follow up...

Update - OK... just checked and she did indeed "flip out" but I told her entry is cheaper than other contests and I could probably get by with a single brisket, two butts, three slabs and a dozen thighs. I still have a little birthday cash I could apply towards all that. Do I have a problem that needs the 12 step program or what? :oops:

The_Kapn
10-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh wait a second! Just saw that it is a Sat/Sun event... I MIGHT be able to make it afterall if the wife doesn't flip out over the cash! I will have to call this Jessica person tomorrow and follow up...

Update - OK... just checked and she did indeed "flip out" but I told her entry is cheaper than other contests and I could probably get by with a single brisket, two butts, three slabs and a dozen thighs. I still have a little birthday cash I could apply towards all that. Do I have a problem that needs the 12 step program or what? :oops:

12 step--YUP!

Welcome to the Dark Side:grin:
Go for it if (and only if) it is right for you

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
12 step--YUP!

Welcome to the Dark Side:grin:
Go for it if (and only if) it is right for you

TIM

I thought I was ready for a break... when I thought there was nothing else to do this season! :roll: I emailed Scott... maybe he can hook up with me to do this... seeing that it's right there in his hometown! I suppose I could swing this myself if I HAD to. Afterall, there was a guy at the Royal from Oklahoma (Bodacious BBQ) that I believe cooked by himself. At least I never saw another person there. But it would definitely be more fun with two people and I'm pretty sure my buddy from Olathe won't be available. I imagine this could be done pretty inexpensively and with very little fuss.

kcquer
10-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Just to clarify, this is a revival of an old event. Harrisonville used to hold a sanctioned event the week (maybe 2) prior to the Royal. I have no idea if these are the same organizers as the old event or a new effort altogether.
Either way, I wish I'd known about it sooner.

Jeff_in_KC
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Scott, it must be different people. I just talked to this girl and she is completely new to this. She was told by KCBS that they'd send a person down to help. She was also told that if they can get 15 teams entered this year that they would automatically be sanctioned by KCBS next year. I hadn't heard this was possible but I don't know for sure. The contest is in ther parking lot at Kurzweil's meat SW of Harrisonville a few miles. They aren't allowing set up until 10am, which would work for me. I think I could get set up, rub briskets and butts and be back to Pleasant Hill in time for my daughter's soccer game at 12:30 and then back to the contest by 1:30 or so... if I even wanted to go back for awhile. Not much need as far as I can tell unless there are rules about not physically occupying your site for periods of time.

Since this is only 15 or so miles from my house, I'm giving serious consideration, especially given that it's Sat/Sun and I won't have to take a day off work.

Jeff_in_KC
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Final update... I'm IN on the new Harrisonville event. In the words of our illustrious PooBah there's no reason in hell for me NOT to do this event (cheap and close to home) because it gets me another contest under my belt before next season. Since they're playing by all KCBS rules, it should be valuable. I actually had my wife suggest that she and our daughter both go down there on Saturday afternoon, set up the family tent and just a small canopy and make an overnight trip out of it and have my wife available to help out. So... just when I thought we were done for the season... :roll: I'll let ya know Sunday night how we do.

MrSmoker
10-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Good luck Jeff.

wsm
10-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Good luck to you Jeff.

Should be quite a change from the monster big Royal :biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
10-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Good luck to you Jeff.

Should be quite a change from the monster big Royal :biggrin:

DeSoto already was...

Solidkick
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
This one will be fun.......have fun........and be safe!

Jeff_in_KC
10-19-2005, 07:01 PM
This one will be fun.......have fun........and be safe!

I think so. Seems there'll be a couple of pretty good teams there such as Ribs 4U (48th at the AR) and Smokin Salmons. I'm familiar with the area at least and this has the potential to grow into a pretty decent event if they do it right. I have a concern that the organizers admitted they don't really know much about it but as long as they learn and listen to the KCBS rep, it ought to be OK.

kcpellethead
10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Interest in this event is picking up steam fast. As for "being an automatic if they get to 15 this year," that information is inaccurate. Nothing is an automatic for sanctioning by KCBS. They applied for sanctioning this year, but the deadline had passed. However, this year's event will be run by KCBS rules and scoring.

Good luck to all that participate.

Jeff_in_KC
10-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Interest in this event is picking up steam fast. As for "being an automatic if they get to 15 this year," that information is inaccurate. Nothing is an automatic for sanctioning by KCBS. They applied for sanctioning this year, but the deadline had passed. However, this year's event will be run by KCBS rules and scoring.

Good luck to all that participate.

That's kinda what I thought too, Rod but wasn't sure. Are you going to be here or are you cooking at Texarkana? Thought I heard you were headed sound this weekend. Whichever way, good luck to you also.

kcpellethead
10-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Jeff,

We're headed to Texarkana this weekend. Don't ask me why. With fuel prices at $3.59 per gallon, it's going to cost about $350 just to get there and back.

Look up Rick Salmon at your contest this weekend. Rick is a wealth of great information and very willing to share. I blame him for getting me involved in competition barbecue.

Jeff_in_KC
10-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Jeff,

We're headed to Texarkana this weekend. Don't ask me why. With fuel prices at $3.59 per gallon, it's going to cost about $350 just to get there and back.

Look up Rick Salmon at your contest this weekend. Rick is a wealth of great information and very willing to share. I blame him for getting me involved in competition barbecue.

Thanks... I'll do that. And I blame Jay for getting ME involved! The nerve of these farkers! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
10-22-2005, 01:38 PM
It ain't starting off too well... already set up the new cheapo Easy-Up knock off from the Evil Empire and the farker broker in two places! Plus it's cold and windy with a chance of rain. Also short a GoodOne Smoker and have to make do with one WSM, a BSKD and a Weber kettle! Funny being so close to home that I cam leave for me daughter's soccer game and head back. Later!

voodoobbqIL
10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time Jeff, maybe this is the contest that will test your patience. Sometimes the easy close to home events are the ones that make you add to the swear jar a 20 at a time

Sawdustguy
10-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Good luck Jeff! Sounds like you have your hands full. Just take a deep breath and keep smiling......:wink: :biggrin:

The_Kapn
10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, "breathe", for sure http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

"That which does not kill you only makes you stronger".

You will do fine--
Mother nature screws with everyone the same.

TIM

River City Smokehouse
10-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Chin up Jeff, I've brought home some nice trophies at contests that have tested my patience before. I usually do better when I am under a lot of pressure.

Sawdustguy
10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I can't wait to see how he did. He should be commended for going it alone.

Jeff_in_KC
10-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I have to start off with the bright spot for the weekend... my 4 year old (almost five) daughter walked! She finished 3rd in the under 11 age group (out of seven kids) and got the first plaque of the day! I was about as proud of her as I could be! And she loves that award too! She did a small pork tenderloin stuffed with bacon and apple, rolled up, tied, given a pork rub and wrapped in bacon. Smoked in cherry (no apple at the contest). It was a LITTLE dry and not as tender as we would have liked. She had to be coaxed to go up and get the award. She was embarrassed! hehehe!

As for me, not good, guys... There were only ten teams in this. Finished 4th in ribs, 7th in brisket and 7th in chicken. And DAL in pork which shocked the living crap outta both myself and Wayne! Wayne came down to help out give me some pointers and assist at turn-in time. We both though we had NAILED the pork in all three areas and ended up getting HAMMERED by two judges! I'll have to get pictures posted as soon as I can find my cable to download from my camera (daughter lost it at the contest). When I hadn't gotten my name called after the got to the money places (1st through 3rd), Wayne said I had it. We both got pretty excited when 2nd place wasn't me... and when they called someone else for first, I think I was visably unhappy (hope not too bad). Overall, a hugely disappointing 7th place. I felt like I was on an uphill battle with little concentration all weekend. Maybe lack of time to prepare? Maybe 3 contests in 4 weeks? Who the heck knows? Anyway, a definite step backwards. But a learning experience just the same. One thing that was fun... they gave plaques to I believe 7th place and up with money to the top three in each category so even though I didn't finish very well overall, I still got to see how it feels to hear your team name called, walk up and accept an award. I don't HAVE to tell my family and friends around town there was only ten teams! LOL! So I got a 4th and two 7th plaques. Hey, hardware is hardware, right?

To top things off, had a heck of a time getting home. First, I about lost my WSM but got pulled over and secured it. Second, the cover and lid to my Weber Kettle flew off the trailer. My wife was following and was able to retrieve it before it got hit (only a small dent in the rim). Then, my $50 cover to my BSKD started to tear in the wind and before I got home, it had farking shredded and had pieces of vinyl and that nasty cottony stuff it's lined with flying out the back for miles!

Anyway, thanks Wayne for driving all the way down to Harrisonville to support and help me! Your help at turn-in time was awesome! Sharing my Newcastle and sending you home with some Q was a small price to pay for your expertice and experience! You're a great friend!

Aeynghus
10-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Congrats to your girl!

You will be better in the future because of this weekend. It sucks now. Have a couple of brews.

chad
10-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Congrats to your daughter!

Sounds like you had an educational weekend. Ponder it and continue planning for next season.

The_Kapn
10-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Congrats to the whole "Jeff family".

Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want???
Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
And--"walking" is addictive--right?????

Congrats on a fun and educational weekend, and that is what it is all about!

Post the full results when ya get them--OK????

TIM

ps--tie your chit down on the way home--a whole lot cheaper http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff_in_KC
10-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Oh I have the sad stuff...

Overall:
1. Sticky Fingers (guy used to cook with Grillas)
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Smokin Salmons
5. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Big D Smokin Pit
9. Husker Fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Chicken:
1. Midwest Scuba Q
2. Smokin Salmons
3. Smokin Roy's
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Pork Patrol
6. Big D Smokin Pit
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
9. Husker fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Ribs:
1. Smokin Roy's
2. Midwest Scuba Que
3. Gators Git R dun BBQ
4. BIG CREEK BBQ
5. Sticky Fingers
6. Pork Patrol
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Big D Smokin Pit

Pork:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Big D Smokin Pit
5. Pork Patrol
6. Husker Fanatics
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Gators git R Dun BBQ
9. BIG CREEK BBQ (this was the joke we thought)
10. Butt Busters

Brisket:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Smokin Salmons
4. Gators Git R dun BBQ
5. Big D Smokin Pit
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Midwest Scuba Que
10. Butt Busters

My Scores:

CK 877 775 677 799 787 776 (it wasn't any better than those scores either)
RI 979 889 879 899 889 889 (perfect 9's on tenderness)
PK 887 567 568 687 878 787 (WTH?? I'm stunned)
BR 967 878 877 757 768 877 (to be honest, the 877 was probably closest - a bit dry but good looks and very tender)

Missed first pay day by 1.2 points in ribs.

spicewine
10-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Please realize that these are the conditions that make you a good competetor!!!

There will come a time when you say " I rember the Harrisonville Contest "

You are on the road to learning competion Q!! It is a curvey road with many a pot hole, but---

Learn from every cook

Don't make drastic adjustments

Keep a good log of times, temps. weather conditons ect.

Relax and know that everyones tastes are not the same and that you are cooking for not what you think is great Q, but what the majority of the people who are judging want to taste.

And hope to get your Q to the right table.

JMO & .02 worth

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want??? Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

And--"walking" is addictive--right?????

Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
10-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Jay. Good points. And I did learn a bit from the guy next to me, Rick Salmon (Smokin Salmons). He has been in well over 100 contests he said and used to cook for the Oklahome Joe's Team. He still works in their restaurant in Olathe, KS. The man knows his chit and he's a chicken Q'in machine!

I think I've been fortunate at all three of my contests to have had some good teams next door (VooDoo at the Royal, Steve - Denver Cajun BBQ Crewe - at DeSoto and now Rick Salmon).

The_Kapn
10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year! http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Sawdustguy
10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Jeff,

Keep your chin up. Very few of us would have tried it on our own. Even though Wayne came to help you have my vote for sheer courage. Kudos to Wayne for helping you out also. Sometimes, not all great efforts are rewarded. Feel good about what you learned and your efforts. It will make you a better chef.:cool:

Solidkick
10-24-2005, 06:47 AM
As I told Chick'N'Pig after he finished 63rd at Laurie, "Your time will come." I'm sure that there's some things that you learned this weekend, both on your own and from others. Take it, try it, use what you can, throw out what you don't like, and make it your way of cooking. As BellyBro always says, "any given cookoff", your time will come.

Congrats on a fun weekend.....see you on the cookoff curcuit next year!

MoKanMeathead
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Jeff - sorry to hear about your trip home. I saw you and Tammy along the road but it looked like you were just tying something down.

We had some of your pork for dinner last night - my wife and daughter loved the pork - said it was tastey and moist (even after reheating). Definately didn't merit last place. Just shows that everyone's taste in Q is different and you never know how the judges will recieve your turn-in. I was shocked when they didn't call your name for pork - thought you had a pay day for sure!!

Jeff_in_KC
10-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks Wayne! You're a good friend to come down and help me like you did! It was greatly appreciated!

Jeff_in_KC
10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Here's a few photos... thanks to Wayne for the box help!!! I learned yet more useful tidbits of contest stuff! And in checking out the photos closer, thanks to Ray for your "contribution" to the brisket! :mrgreen: Even though it's in the pork picture, we used it on the brisket and Blues Hog regular on the pork.

Sawdustguy
10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Jeff,

I can tell you now that your pork presentation didn't deserve 5's and 6's. It's funny and sometimes makes you wonder. I wonder if those three judges sat next to each other and looked at each other's score card before giving your mark.