PDA

View Full Version : first time in a comp need advice

davefan360
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
hello, I am thinking about signing up for my first cookoff. I have never cooked in a comp before so any advice would be good. My team myself and 2 other guys. We will be cooking on a UDS and a smokey mt. We have been practicing to get our times down right but what else should we know? Also what are some of the things that we should bring for the weekend to make life eaiser?

thank you

Mexi "Q" Tioner
07-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Great post. I'm in the same boat as yourself and entering my 1st cook-off this sept and entered the rib & tri-tip categories. Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link to the competition I entered.
http://www.blazinhog.com/

rooftop bbq
07-23-2012, 06:16 PM
hot water is always a plus. makes cleaning up alot eaiser. get an igloo and fill with hot water

mobow
07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Go disposable for as much as you can. Have a time line written down. Don't bring it if you don't need it. Ask for help from a neighbor if something goes wrong. Ask before entering someone elses site. Know the rules. Ask questions at cooks meeting or talk with rep one on one after meeting. Have fun but stay focused. Get some sleep. Keith

Outnumbered
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Get your entire system written down, create a checklist and follow it. I went to a comp and forgot my brisket rub. Didn't have it all laid out and checked off as it went into the tub.

Assuming it's a KCBS contest, make sure you know the rules, but don't panic over them. They are pretty simplistic and easy to follow, but there are lots of people who don't bother to read them.

Ask the reps at the contest about anything. Let them know what you're planning to do and see if they have tips for you. They've been around the block a time or two and they should know the rules inside and out.

Drink, have fun. Just don't drink too much.

Ron_L
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Here are a couple of competition checklists. You may not need all of this, or it may be missing something particular to you, but they are a good starting point.

The best advice I can give you guys, besides have fun, is to do a mock competition in your driveway or back yard. Set up exactly as you plan at the comp and run a full cook with the same timing. Then, whenever you have to go into the house for something add it to your list.

NorthwestBBQ
07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Here are a couple of competition checklists. You may not need all of this, or it may be missing something particular to you, but they are a good starting point.

The best advice I can give you guys, besides have fun, is to do a mock competition in your driveway or back yard. Set up exactly as you plan at the comp and run a full cook with the same timing. Then, whenever you have to go into the house for something add it to your list.

Did you forget to link to some checklists?

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
practice at home. have back up plans/adaptability/what if's in place.

it will be hot, it will be cold, it will be dry, and it will rain. prepare for all of them.

if something doesn't seem right, sit back and take 5 minutes to think about it. unless it's a blzing fire that could cause harm 5 minutes ain't gonna hurt nuthin'.

Ron_L
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Did you forget to link to some checklists?

Maybe :rolleyes:

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.cfm

:oops:

beerguy
07-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Get the book " Startin the fire" from WATG team . They are brethren. And don't forget the Gold Bond powder!

Amazon.com: Startin' the Fire (9781890689148): George W. Hensler: Books

majorlee69
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
hot water is always a plus. makes cleaning up alot eaiser. get an igloo and fill with hot water

We used a 4qt coffee maker (buffet/resturant style) without the filter and coffee. Hot water every 15mins!! With three bus tubs, wash, rinse, sanatize. With a practice run the weekend before we placed 23rd (I think) outta 34 in our first comp last weekend in Kettering, OH. Couldn't be happier!!

Jeremy
Dirty Birds BBQ

pwa
07-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I just finish my first comp (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15&order=desc&page=2) last weekend, the biggest mistake I made and I'm sure it cost me was not spending the time to learn to build a better turn in box's. As has already been said make a time line working backwards from turn in times and stick to them. Have fun. If you using those plastic folding tables build leg extension get it up to 36" or something comfortable, my back is still sore :oops: I wish I brought a reclining folding chair, but with 3 people you can take turns getting good sleep. It was just me and my 2 kids. so sleeping comfortable within ear shot of pit would have been nice. Have fun. Bring a notepad to write down everything you wish you brought or wish you hadn't. And most important Have fun!!

Just my random thoughts on the subject.
pwa

davefan360
07-24-2012, 07:23 PM
thanks for all the advice. i will let you know how it all goes.

GreenDrake
07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Get a good cooler or a Cambro, finish the big meats early, sometimes they stall for too long when trying to time them. DO NOT make last minute changes because you think you found something wonderful, you didn't. Stick with what you know and go from there, it's a ton of fun.

BBQ Church
07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
... DO NOT make last minute changes because you think you found something wonderful, you didn't. Stick with what you know and go from there, it's a ton of fun.

That sounds like good advice

K-Train
07-25-2012, 07:52 AM
take notes. if you can trim your meat at home (don't do anything else to it though). saves time once you arrive. i trim chicken thursday night, saves a ton of time.

Pack-A-Smokes
07-25-2012, 09:25 AM
The biggest mistake we made at first was packing everything in the house. We were so worried we would need something we took it all with us. After about 2-3 comps we figured out that if we didn't have it with us we could find a store that did.
This forum is really great. This thread reminded me of the advice I received from a pretty well known team when I asked them if they had any they could offer. They told me to withdraw my application and not show up and if I did go to pack up and go home before awards because I probably would be disappointed to the point of disgust. And, if I did win anything then I would waste tons of money trying to do it again. I still don't talk to these guys.

BoneDaddy's
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Couple of tips

1. Don't pack everything, mix your rubs/injections ahead of time
2. Make your tables taller
3. Trim meat, esp chx ahead of time
4. Practice your box, it takes a while...we have a cooler just for parsley/boxes
5. Have a timeline
6. Relax, it gets easier
7. Careful with vending, it is a ton of work

-Frank

Basted moral support guy
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
One of the best things I can tell you is to make sure your prep table is tall enough that you're not hunching over. We (and most other teams that I've seen) just cut some lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe and put them over the legs of the table. Sooooo much better.

I like to have a spouted water jug for easy hand washing. We just put a bus tub under it to catch the water. Hand sanitizer is a plus too.