PDA

View Full Version : that was fun, may i have another? box pic.

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
here's our brisket box from R.I. this week-end. have fun!

hamiltont
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I dunno man. The saucy look isn't working for me. Prolly a 7-8?? Cheers!!!

rooftop bbq
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
arangment and meat looks great, thin the sauce out and make sure theres no chunks in it

Sledneck
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Strain that sauce jeeeeez

Bigmista
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
9. I want it.

SDAR
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I do mostly IBCA. We only cooked one KCBS and one to go on the schedule this year. I really don't understand the sauce on brisket. ?? I am not anything close to a CBJ, but that seems like a lot of sauce to me. Probably a 6 or 7.

Don't want to steal, but is there a thickness max in KCBS? Those would get sent back in Texas for being too thick I bet.

Thanks,

Ford
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
If the parsley was a little higher or more tightly packed the meat would sit up just a bit more and there would be more focus on meat. It's a little thing but it can make a difference.

At the back it looks like the last 2 slices are not fanned out. Otherwise that looks like a real thick slice vs the others. Both of these things are small but can impact scores.

I agree with the sauce comments.

Overall probably an 8 but I could see folks scoring from 6 to 9 depending on how picky they are.

And in the immortal words of a celebrity tv star judge "i expect to see burnt ends". I know we judge as presented but at the same time many judges expect them and will score down if not there.

hamiltont
07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
And in the immortal words of a celebrity tv star judge "i expect to see burnt ends". I know we judge as presented but at the same time many judges expect them and will score down if not there.

Not this judge! I only judge what's in the box, not what I expect to be in the box. This message can't be hammered home often enough.

I know you're just saying because it's sadly the reality...

Cheers!!!

cpw
07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
If the parsley was a little higher or more tightly packed the meat would sit up just a bit more and there would be more focus on meat. It's a little thing but it can make a difference.

At the back it looks like the last 2 slices are not fanned out. Otherwise that looks like a real thick slice vs the others. Both of these things are small but can impact scores.

I agree with the sauce comments.

Overall probably an 8 but I could see folks scoring from 6 to 9 depending on how picky they are.

I think what you're mistaking for 2 slices stuck together are the burnt ends.

dmprantz
07-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Depends on a few things. As it looks in the picture, probably an 8. Maybe IRL a 9. If the delay causes the sauce to get absorbed into the meat more it might look better, but as is, it looks wetter than the "perfect box" to me. This is nitpicky, but there's also sauce on the garnish. I wouldn't score down for that per se, but I can't help but notice it in the picture.

dmp

Lake Dogs
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
eight

"Holy Smokes"
07-23-2012, 01:55 PM
8 because it seems dark but that could be the camera. Maybe a 7 if I pick out that there is a lot of BBQ sauce where the bark is, can't tell in the pic.

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I think what you're mistaking for 2 slices stuck together are the burnt ends.

correct.

thanks guys.

Jaskew82
07-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Dylan, your pics came out so much better than mine! Damn iPhone 4!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
5 looks like sloppy meat and crap all over it,

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 02:13 PM
I do mostly IBCA. We only cooked one KCBS and one to go on the schedule this year. I really don't understand the sauce on brisket. ?? I am not anything close to a CBJ, but that seems like a lot of sauce to me. Probably a 6 or 7.

Don't want to steal, but is there a thickness max in KCBS? Those would get sent back in Texas for being too thick I bet.

Thanks,

no, but there is a guideline. they are in fact thicker than pencil width, but not by too too much.

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
5 looks like sloppy meat and crap all over it,

matt, elaborate on sloppy meat? i can understand the crap all over it reaction.

Lion Bout The Q
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Looks good to me..I would eat that..9

Ford
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I stand corrected on the burnt ends. I'd have a full row then from side to side.

mobow
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd give it a 8. As stated clean the sauce up a little. The thickness may get involved in your tenderness score. A thick slice forces a judge to try and decide if you are just being generous or trying to hide overcooked. It is best if you don't make us think too much. keith

walrus79
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd go 7/8 on these. Parsley could be touched up a bit. The sauce (or au jus) is heavy and distracting from great looking slices. I typically put burnt ends in the front not in the back behind the slices. They look almost hidden. But, they also look really good from what is able to be seen. As with the chicken box, slices are consistent, nice ring (and yes, we all look for it and consider it though we shouldn't), parsley is very close...couple of spots hanging out on the right side. Very close to being a 9 with a few nit picky things cleaned up. Again, nice job here too.

nthole
07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I also would suggest making the burnt ends stand out a bit more. That said, I don't get all the hate on the sauce. Your supposed to try it how served and judge it based on whether or not it was well done based on how it was served, not your particular desire for sauced or not sauced or corn fed or alien fed.

I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake... 9.

boogiesnap
07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
thanks again everyone.

this box came in at 19 out of 41

887 976 888 777 989 889 157.7142

Shiz-Nit
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Layout to me is real nice and FULL!!! I am digging that.

I say a solid 7-8