PDA

View Full Version : Can I compete with an Ole Hickory SSE? or is it too big to heat up?

KentuckyLandSales
07-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I just had an oh shoot moment. I have been fretting doing a KCBS comp with my SSE without gas - the fan and rotiseerie I'm cool with - but I figured lump and briquettes would be cool.

Then in the shower this morning (yes, some dream of long legged girls in the shower, I dream of BBQ), I realized I don't think there's enough charcoal on earth to EVER heat up that monster up.

Does anyone have any experience with heating up an Ole Hickory Pit SSE (it's one of the bigger ones) with charcoal?

indianagriller
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I used to compete on a CTO and i would keep the gas hooked up and bring it up to temp that way and then the charcoal and wood didnt have as much work to do.

speers90
07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I just had an oh shoot moment. I have been fretting doing a KCBS comp with my SSE without gas - the fan and rotiseerie I'm cool with - but I figured lump and briquettes would be cool.

Then in the shower this morning (yes, some dream of long legged girls in the shower, I dream of BBQ), I realized I don't think there's enough charcoal on earth to EVER heat up that monster up.

Does anyone have any experience with heating up an Ole Hickory Pit SSE (it's one of the bigger ones) with charcoal?

Brad,

Heat it up with gas but disconnect before any meat goes on. Works extremely well with my CTO, so I doubt you will have any issues.

KentuckyLandSales
07-22-2012, 04:12 PM
am I gonna be able to do that? KCBS rules?

indianagriller
07-22-2012, 04:43 PM
yes, perfectly legal in kcbs

speers90
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
yep, just get used to having the competition rep stop by and say something like "you are going to disconnect that propane tank before any meat goes on, right?"

Ford
07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Talk to the rep Friday early and tell them you'll disconnect before putting meat on.