PDA

View Full Version : Please rate my boxes

daninnewjersey
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
First time we've ever made boxes...and there's no better time to practice than 15 mins. before our first-ever turn in while incredibly hungover, right?? :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Pork took 41, ribs took 39, and brisket took 37. Can't seem to find the chicken....

Ron_L
07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Remember... You asked :)

First, the garnish in all three is sloppy and takes away from the meat. Assuming this was a KCBS competition (you didn't say), the judges aren't supposed to judge the garnish,, but it it distracts from the meat that's not a good thing.

Brisket... The meat looks like you sliced through the point and flat. I've seen that in boxes from the NE before, so maybe that's normal in that region, but around here folks turn in flat slices and possibly burnt ends or chunks from the point. The meat looks dry and there are knife marks visible on the slices. The arrangement is sloppy. If I were at the table I'd give it a 5.

Ribs... Again, the meat looks dry. The color is strange and unappetizing. The cuts look OK except for the top rib in the center group. I don't like the arrangement in three groups like that. I think it would look better if the ribs were next to each other and you could have gotten more ribs in the box. A full box always looks better. Again, a 5.

Pork... Is that sausage? Or Money Muscle? This also looks dry and the arrangement is haphazard. The cuts on the money muscle are rough and the bark looks very dark. This would also get a 5 from me.

Sorry...

Look at examples of boxes here and using a google image search to get some ideas. Work on slicing more cleanly and use a glaze or spritz of juice to give thereat a nice shine.

Logjammin
07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
I'd give them all 6's. I'll echo a lot of Ron's comments too.

Brisket - We struggled with this for awhile too. A lot of cooks will separate the point from the flat before they cook it due to a variety of reasons - the two biggest being that the pieces finish at different times and for appearance. I highly recommend separating the point and the flat prior to making cuts for the box. Makes for a better presentation. The meat does look dry to me as well.

Ribs - Look very dry. They also look a bit uneven in terms of width.

Pork - Look the driest to me. I would have gone with some juice spray or sauce brushed on top to alleviate the dry look.

daninnewjersey
07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Ouch...thanks for being so honest...:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Seriously, that's the kind of feedback I want....honest and straight from the hip. I do want to improve so I really do appreciate the "constructive criticism"...

bam
07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Too much lawn.

early mornin' smokin'
07-16-2012, 02:18 PM
im gonna be nice here, not quite a seasoned competitor, but I've been around the block a few times. They all look dry, very dry. My opinion, stick with one type of garnish, either parsley or lettuce, but don't use both unless you know how to make it look perfect. you want the pork sitting on a bed of something, not buried in it.

Mister Bob
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Not very good, for all the reasons mentioned above, so there's no need to reiterate. What I will suggest is that if you really are interested in improving your game, you might want to consider judging a few competitions so you can see what some other teams are turning in, and what looks good to you. It would also be very helpful to take a class or two from someone who has been successful in the kind of competitions you are entering.

daninnewjersey
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys...I know they suck which is why I put them on here. I'm seeing a lot more of the problems with them now that I've gotten honest feedback and I appreciate it.