PDA

View Full Version : Lets Coin A Competition BBQ Term.....

Q-Dat
07-15-2012, 10:36 PM
We all know that when you walk into another teams area with the intentions of gaining knowledge of their process that its called "Shigging"

I think there ought to be a word for those times when a cook lies or otherwise makes stuff up about their methods in an attempt to mislead. An example would be an experienced cook telling a rookie that he does something unusual like smearing his ribs with a mixture of potted meat, and Mountain Dew syrup before applying the rub, when he actually puts nothing on but the rub.

What should we call this?

Pelkster
07-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Shagging...lol.

stevenw106
07-15-2012, 10:47 PM
spining

landarc
07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
We all know that when you walk into another teams area with the intentions of gaining knowledge of their process that its called "Shigging"

I think there ought to be a word for those times when a cook lies or otherwise makes stuff up about their methods in an attempt to mislead. An example would be an experienced cook telling a rookie that he does something unusual like smearing his ribs with a mixture of potted meat, and Mountain Dew syrup before applying the rub, when he actually puts nothing on but the rub.

Dude, not cool! I told you about the potted meat and you said you wouldn't tell. :becky:

BBQ Grail
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Never mind...

Q-Dat
07-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Dude, not cool! I told you about the potted meat and you said you wouldn't tell. :becky:

True, but the Mountain Dew syrup was all my idea :p

Fat Woody
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
D-bagging

Dr_KY
07-16-2012, 02:50 AM
http://www.seekingbazinga.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/bazinga.png

arrowhead
07-16-2012, 05:55 AM
dew-dew

Dr_KY
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
giving out the "Kool-aid"

ModelMaker
07-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Gamesmanship?
Ed

Ford
07-16-2012, 07:19 AM
I find the idea of an experienced cook intentionally lying to a rookie to be poor sportsmanship.

Now bs'ing with experienced cooks, that's ok.

Ron_L
07-16-2012, 07:22 AM

We refer to that as smack talk :)

Lake Dogs
07-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Old school word: lying

Most experienced BBQ cooks dont, especially to newer cooks. Refer to Ford's post up there.

timzcardz
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
I'd go with "douchebagging".

Dr_KY
07-16-2012, 08:29 AM
I took the word 'rookie' loosely meaning someone that can cook but not overly experienced yet already competes and is in a competitive environment.

Agreed, A new person wanting to learn... it's dam un-sportsman like and a poor showing of the individuals character and nasty to roll them a turd.

Hey that's it!
Rolling Turds

Balls Casten
07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
In our camp we call that a "Harmeyer"

musicmanryann
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
In our camp we call that a "Harmeyer"You know, for having that mug, he is pretty damn photogenic! :caked:

Rookie'48
07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
In our camp we call that a "Harmeyer"

And I thought that getting "Harmeyered" meant something else . . . :rolleyes:

Balls Casten
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
You know, for having that mug, he is pretty damn photogenic! :caked:
Stop that! You're just going to make his head bigger, we can barely get him in the trailer as it is.

Balls Casten
07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
And I thought that getting "Harmeyered" meant something else . . . :rolleyes:

Yes but he does the catching, not the pitching.

fnbish
07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I think there could be multiple scenarios for this. So if a newer or less experienced team was looking for knowledge and an experienced cook team they met said to let them know if they have any questions then feeds them lines of garbage to mess with them then that the term already exists.......I agree that "douchebag" is that term.

If it is a team with no common sense asking for direct recipes with out really seeming that they care about making friends or an ongoing competitive relationship then some fibbing would be appropriate to a certain extent. Using "certain extent" loosely there.

There are other scenarios too of course.

I had the first scenario happen last year during my rookie season and the stuff they made up sounded so absurd that I was amazed. They offered to help then fed a lot of nonsense. And I didn't ask anything specific when they asked what questions I had, just some general "what kind of tips would you have for a new team....blah blah" kind of stuff.

hogzgonewild
07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I've heard of this happening also....

Situation #1: Heard a seasoned cook tell another team he was going to turn in pulled Ribs, and put 6 rib bones in the bottom of the box....

Situation #2: Had a seasoned cook tell me he likes to pull out his electric knife and hit it a few times a couple hours before turn in so that the teams around him might hear it and think, "So and So is already cutting their meat, maybe we should be doing that too!"

Q-Dat
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I guess what I mean, is just the BS'ing in general.

I agree that if you intentionally try to mislead a team that is still learning the ropes, that would indeed qualify as blatent douchebaggery.

riblette
07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Smoke-screening
:gossip:

landarc
07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
If someone doesn't want to share or teach, the proper thing is to simply decline the discussion and explain that you do not wish to help the person out.

But, purposely misleading someone, for any reason, that is just being mean and honestly shows a lack of character.

Podge
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Words for something just kind of happen. Fortunately, Scottie and I were around for the birth of Shigging.

ttwoods
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd go with "douchebagging".

This one has my vote! lol :clap2:

JD McGee
07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Definitely not cool...:tsk: I like "DoucheBaggin'"! Got that chicken on yet? :becky:

Q-Dat
07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Words for something just kind of happen. Fortunately, Scottie and I were around for the birth of Shigging.

Now thats a story I'd like to hear!

Harbormaster
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I've been thinking about this and have a word that fits well:

Glossing.

Podge
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe Randy Twyford will respond to this. He was the very first to be shigged upon, and the word was made up by Alex Cothel. Madison, In. contest, 2007.

didisea
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I would use "Leg Pullin'" to describe the people who purposfully mislead someone.

I reserve "Douche-Bag" for people who are poor sports after the contest who don't congratulate the teams who walked, or thank the people who were their neighbors after the cook is over.

Brew-B-Q
07-16-2012, 03:27 PM
I think d-bag is a bit harsh, depending on the scenario. I think of it more like hazing and just bullsh!tting. After a new competitor cooks a couple of times, they should have a pretty good nose for what is BS. If someone told me, for example, that they cook their chicken low and slow overnight so it can develop a great smoke ring, I would probably not believe it. If I did believe it, and decided to try it at the comp, and subsequently bombed chicken....I probably wasn't in the running for much to begin with.

Dr_KY
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I reserve "Douche-Bag" for people who are poor sports after the contest who don't congratulate the teams who walked, or thank the people who were their neighbors after the cook is over.

As a team for the last three years we make a point of getting to all the teams after the awards (if they are still on site) and have them all sign a cutting board that we proudly display. This give us a chance to congratulate, chit chat and just carry the BBQ vibe. Contest here are not nearly as huge as in the US but we find it a cool thing to do and have more memory's of the event.

And I'm still stick with 'rolling turds' lol

Chenernator
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Slying!

jbrink01
07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I think it's just part of the rite of passage. No different then sending the new kid in shop class to all the other Vo-Tech classes looking for the "board stretcher" and each teacher sending him to the next room.....just part of the deal.

early mornin' smokin'
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
someone asks, ill tell them. Will i be specific and give percentages or exact amounts. HECK NO! honestly, i barely know, I'm not a measurer, More of a dash of that, handful of this, couple squirts of that kinda guy.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Shiggin' = Obtaining info or techniques while being sneaky

Shaggin' = Supplying info or techniques while being sneaky ( LYING )

Bigmista
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Turding - Spitting a bunch of BS.

que_dawg
07-17-2012, 06:17 AM
I think bullshigging fits the bill here, it kind of like reverse shigging...

CBQ
07-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I am always tempted to leave a big stack of McDonald's McNuggets BBQ sauce packets on the prep table, just to make people wonder, but I think the proper thing to do is to just tell people you can't answer a question if you don't want to disclose something.

As experienced cooks know, there is not a "big secret" that will make you win. Wnning BBQ is a series of many small steps and processes that make the difference, so there is no real reason not to be helpful to new teams.

The Virginian
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
How about "mis-cue"?
Or maybe "sniping" (for all you former boy scouts out there).

deez butts
07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Sniping, snipe hunt, snipe hunting or some form of that gets my vote.

deez butts
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
For reference to Snipe Hunt:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snipe+Hunt