PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Samís Club -- Pittsburgh, PA., August 10th & 11th

HawgNationBBQ
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
This is our first Samís Club competition. Who else is in?

FlavorSavor
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
We'll be there.

Anyone know if we'll be cooking on asphalt or grass?

smokeworker
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
We'll be there....bunch of rookies hoping for miracles , trying not to have too many cocktails around open flames. If I stay out of DAL I'm freaken tickled. Look for the black SWAT looking van with blues coming out the rear!

see yinz all there!

White Dog BBQ
07-15-2012, 07:47 PM
We'll be there. Last year the contest was on asphalt, in the Sam's parking lot.

Note that as with most Sam's contests, there is only one hose bib (in this case on the store). They put the teams at the far end of the parking lot, so expect to have to walk to get water (no, you won't be able to run a hose to your site). On the plus side, there are plenty of shopping carts around, which we found are very useful at a comp.

smokeworker
07-15-2012, 08:18 PM
We'll be there. Last year the contest was on asphalt, in the Sam's parking lot.

Note that as with most Sam's contests, there is only one hose bib (in this case on the store). They put the teams at the far end of the parking lot, so expect to have to walk to get water (no, you won't be able to run a hose to your site). On the plus side, there are plenty of shopping carts around, which we found are very useful at a comp.

Was the electricity at least close to the contest?

Bentley
07-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Coming to judge...Will be State #5 that I have gotten to try KCBS entries...curious to see if any regional nuances in Steel Country!

Have not been any major differences in CA, NV, AZ or NC so I doubt to find any here...

White Dog BBQ
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Was the electricity at least close to the contest?

They use generators so power is pretty close to individual sites.

smokeworker
07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
They use generators so power is pretty close to individual sites.

thanks for the info....do they care if your powering a full size fridge with a little meat and a lotta beer in it?.....:-P

Fatback Joe
07-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I'll be there.

White Dog BBQ
07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
thanks for the info....do they care if your powering a full size fridge with a little meat and a lotta beer in it?.....:-P

No as long as you have some red cups and share some with me!

FlavorSavor
07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Will there be a chicken wing contest in Pittsburg?

HawgNationBBQ
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Will there be a chicken wing contest in Pittsburg?

Yes. I believe so.

Fatback Joe
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Yep, just make sure to sign up prior if you plan on entering.

http://www.kcbs.us/tyson-best-wing.php

Red Valley BBQ
07-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Red Valley will be there as well. It's as close as I get to a "home" contest.

smokeworker
07-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Red Valley will be there as well. It's as close as I get to a "home" contest.

Was wondering if you guys would be there. Look for the black van with the confused people walking around. That would be us!.....stop and have a cold one...:clap2:

Red Valley BBQ
07-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Coming to judge...Will be State #5 that I have gotten to try KCBS entries...curious to see if any regional nuances in Steel Country!

Have not been any major differences in CA, NV, AZ or NC so I doubt to find any here...

Most likely not, but be sure to stop by and say hi anyway.

HawgNationBBQ
08-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Heading out now to get there early and relax. See you all there. Good luck!

Bentley
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Leaving in the morning, going to be judging. Gonna look up an old Fresno friend that move home to Pittsburgh Friday evening, and if I can get on site before midnight, will try and see if I can introduce myself to a few teams!

Never been to western Pennsylvania, where cable TV was born I am told. From the photos I have seen of the 3 Rivers area it looks very pretty!

White Dog BBQ
08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Leaving in the morning, going to be judging. Gonna look up an old Fresno friend that move home to Pittsburgh Friday evening, and if I can get on site before midnight, will try and see if I can introduce myself to a few teams!

Never been to western Pennsylvania, where cable TV was born I am told. From the photos I have seen of the 3 Rivers area it looks very pretty!

Cable TV was actually born in Eastern PA, but it is a pretty area. Please stop by!

Erik

Bentley
08-11-2012, 01:10 PM
For the most part, above average BBQ today at my table, 6 very well cooked briskets and some very good chicken.