PDA

View Full Version : Smart Chicken

big matt
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
What do you guys think of it?..I love it and it was some of the quickest trimming I've done yet..now we just need it on the grocery store shelf out here.

"Holy Smokes"
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
We have it here in NE and I will be using it next weekend at my first comp. We will let you know how it goes.

Smokin' Joe
07-12-2012, 10:35 AM
They ship Matt - It comes very fresh and the shipping cost isnt bad. I've had it shipped and it arrived quickly and very cold!

Outnumbered
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Is it that much better than the Tyson you get from Sam's? Just curious as I'm preparing my battle plan to get ready for Weston this weekend.

big matt
07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
They ship Matt - It comes very fresh and the shipping cost isnt bad. I've had it shipped and it arrived quickly and very cold!
Thx Joe we got more coming..I had been hearing about it before we got to Iowa..go into hy-vee and there it is on the shelf lucky to have it in the store there..I just like to dig through the packs but it seems it's really not needed with this stuff..I think I only had one or two little ones out of two family packs

big matt
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Is it that much better than the Tyson you get from Sam's? Just curious as I'm preparing my battle plan to get ready for Weston this weekend.

If by better than Tyson you mean nice even pieces,good skin,not slimy and real fresh(no smell at all)..then yes is my answer..all kidding aside it's great stuff no doubt about it

morgantm
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
If I have to purchase from the grocery store thats what I always go with. High quality, consistent product.

Rich Parker
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Not bad stuff. The 4-packs in stores up here sell it for just over $5 so it is pricey.

dosvans
07-12-2012, 12:10 PM

How big are the pieces in the 4-packs that they ship? I'm asking only because the 4-packs on their website show the weight as 1lb. Since I'm usually looking for 4-packs closer to 2lbs, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of small pieces.

dmprantz
07-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm in Des Moines for the day with the Hy-Vee a block from my Hotel. I would love to buy a pack and see how easy it is to prep, but I have no way to cook it or get it home....Thanks for the heads up!

dmp

pat
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
dmp....you need a wsm for the night?? :becky:

G$
07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't think that anything with the name "smart" in it would mesh very well with my team's style.

Seriously though, I'd try it if there were a local retailer.

gmholler
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't care for it. Those always come with the wing-tip cut off (I've heard that's a delicacy in China?).

Lynn H.

Andrews
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Thx Joe we got more coming..I had been hearing about it before we got to Iowa..go into hy-vee and there it is on the shelf lucky to have it in the store there..I just like to dig through the packs but it seems it's really not needed with this stuff..I think I only had one or two little ones out of two family packs

Matt, their website shows two places in Palm Springs that carries that brand.
I have a couple of places by me that I'm going to hit up...

Candy Sue
07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Smart has organic and veg-fed. The veg-fed is cheaper than the organic. Main difference is in the treatment method during processing. I like it, for comps and for eating at home. I hate that they cut the wing tip off the whole chickens. You can't use it in IBCA because of that.

dmprantz
07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
you need a wsm for the night??

Park it at the Drury on Mills Civic and I'll take care of the rest. I'll also need a cutting board, kitchen shears, santoku, and pairing knife please. I'll get started as soon as I get back from Altoona ;-)

dmp

SmokinOkie
07-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I quit using it some time ago as I kept getting bones in the thighs that were basically fractured/broken. I liked the taste, but for the cost, I didn't like having that much waste.

I say give it a shot, but check the bones closely.

big matt
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I quit using it some time ago as I kept getting bones in the thighs that were basically fractured/broken. I liked the taste, but for the cost, I didn't like having that much waste.

I say give it a shot, but check the bones closely.

Your the 3rd person I've heard that from..but lately the problem seems to have been fixed.

Smokin' Joe
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
How big are the pieces in the 4-packs that they ship? I'm asking only because the 4-packs on their website show the weight as 1lb. Since I'm usually looking for 4-packs closer to 2lbs, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of small pieces.

When I have gotten them in the past they were generally about the same size as what is in the store that week - here that usually means betweek 1.6-2.0 pounds per. I think the 1 LB is a cover their butt number

djqualls
07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Bell & Evans is a good product as well.

JD McGee
07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Haven't seen it up here yet...but if it's "smart chicken" can you teach it to prep itself? Yeah...yeah...I know...off to the penalty box! Lol!

Smitty250
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Matt - I just had this same conversation with another team this past weekend in Holbrook. He said he orders it and it has been doing well for him. I asked my buddy about it who lives in Bellevue, NE and he went and checked and they sell it locally in the supermarket. I will be using it next weekend for the Riverfest comp. I will let you know how it goes - just remember chicken is my worst category!

big brother smoke
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Chicken is the "Devil"

Just thought I would share!

big brother smoke
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Seriously, I am finding it at Ralph's for you CALFOs

big matt
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Matt - I just had this same conversation with another team this past weekend in Holbrook. He said he orders it and it has been doing well for him. I asked my buddy about it who lives in Bellevue, NE and he went and checked and they sell it locally in the supermarket. I will be using it next weekend for the Riverfest comp. I will let you know how it goes - just remember chicken is my worst category!I'll be watching those results buddy..we wish you the best out there..and by the way I trimmed 14 pieces in 20 min or less..if anything less time trimming is worth the little price increase alone..I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

Smitty250
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks Matt. I'll be repping my LCQ shirt - at least for half of the day on Friday!

JerryA
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I'll be watching those results buddy..we wish you the best out there..and by the way I trimmed 14 pieces in 20 min or less..if anything less time trimming is worth the little price increase alone..I'm sure you'll see what I mean.
20 minutes or less?!?!?! I'm doing something wrong 'cuz I take hours!

Eggspert
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Many grocery stores can order in products they don't normally carry for you. Typically you have to order a case, but they will get it in. We use smart chicken and have had good luck with better size and shaped pieces. I think the flavor and moisture is better too. I will say I have some issues with blood around the bones, I think it has to do with the air cooled process, so be careful for that. The chicken will be fully cooked, but still blood red on the bone. I have never had issues with broken bones. Skins are usually big enough to manage/handle. Overall a great product.

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange Thermapen

pat
07-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Park it at the Drury on Mills Civic and I'll take care of the rest. I'll also need a cutting board, kitchen shears, santoku, and pairing knife please. I'll get started as soon as I get back from Altoona ;-)

dmp

I don't have any kitchen shears, but the rest is in the lobby :thumb:

big matt
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
20 minutes or less?!?!?! I'm doing something wrong 'cuz I take hours!

Yeah it was my fastest yet..actually some of the pieces almost could have been cooked straight out of the pack.

mwert
07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
The only thing we use. Tastes great and the skin is far easier to achieve bite through than any other we have tried. Don't remember getting fractured bones in the last year .

matthew burt
07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I drive to the factory and pick mine out of the coolers before its packaged! Excellent chicken, I guess that's the advantage of being 2 miles from the plant!

big matt
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I drive to the factory and pick mine out of the coolers before its packaged! Excellent chicken, I guess that's the advantage of being 2 miles from the plant!

So lucky!

JerryA
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Matt, have you ever tried Rosie's Chicken that they sell at Sprouts/Henry's. If you have, how does the Smart Chicken compare to the Rosie's?
Because to me it sounds like a similar product, both are air chilled and packaged very neatly and require little trimming (and skins don't have much fat on them)
Rosie's is organic and kinda expensive but may even out with the Smart Chicken when you consider the cost of shipping.

"Holy Smokes"
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Phat Jacks, Is there a plant in Lincoln? I'd like to give that a try for Riverfest or do you have to "know" somebody. I am cooking with Smitty250 next weekend and I was going to get them from Baker's already but straight from the plant would be ideal.

moocow
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
We use it! When you do meat inspections around here you see it in about half of the coolers.

K-Train
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Gonna order some for our next comp. I'm a little nervous though because the grocery store brand family pack has been very kind to us of late.

rooftop bbq
07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I'll be watching those results buddy..we wish you the best out there..and by the way I trimmed 14 pieces in 20 min or less..if anything less time trimming is worth the little price increase alone..I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

you must not scrape

big matt
07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Matt, have you ever tried Rosie's Chicken that they sell at Sprouts/Henry's. If you have, how does the Smart Chicken compare to the Rosie's?
Because to me it sounds like a similar product, both are air chilled and packaged very neatly and require little trimming (and skins don't have much fat on them)
Rosie's is organic and kinda expensive but may even out with the Smart Chicken when you consider the cost of shipping.

Jerry I've never tried it..I'll check it out next time I see it.

big matt
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
you must not scrape
Sure don't..unnecessary with our process.

txschutte
07-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Love the smart chicken. Wings come pre trimmed, the fat content is low, and the thighs are nearly the same size. I'll keep paying a bit more for this product.

sunrise
07-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Am I not "smart enough"? what the heck are you talking about "smart chicken"

mjl
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM

I will help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Smart+Chicken

Just having a little fun.

ML

rooftop bbq
07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
who cares how expensive it it your talking about 20 bucks at the most, 1 brisket starts at 20 and goes way up from there. Im looking forward to trying some looks like they have it about 1 mile from me

big matt
07-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Ron it's just the brand name..it's high quality air chilled,with nice skin and unifom size.

"Holy Smokes"
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Apparently it works, tied for first this weekend at Riverfest. First time using it, chicken has always been a tough one for my partner, Smitty250.

JerryA
07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Good job, congrats!