PDA

View Full Version : What Does"In Contention" Mean to You??

big matt
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I just want to get the opinion of my fellow competitors here..to be in contention to me means multiple walks(3-4)or a few high calls(a couple of 1st's or 2nd's)and knowing before the top ten is called that you have a shot at winning or being top 5..what does it mean to you?

Scottie
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Really depends on the contest. If you are cooking a 15 team contest, you better have 4 top 10 and more than likely 3 top 5. But if you! are cooking a @00 team contest. 1 top 10 call could get it done...

Podge
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
In contention to me means the calls you get versus the number of teams in a contest, versus how many good calls your fellow competitors have.

In a 50 team contest, if I got 3 calls, and there were just 2 or 3 other people get two calls, then I feel I have a decent shot at winning. If I get 3 calls, and 4-5 others get 3 calls, then anything can happen.

big matt
07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I should have factored in team count like Scottie stated..let's say a 35-45 team contest and you only have 1 call but others have multiple calls would you still feel like you were in there I wouldn't at all.

Alexa RnQ
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Honestly, Matt, the calls/placings don't correlate as closely as you'd think they would. We just got another GC without a single first-place call. One great call *can* make the day, one missed category (if it's a spectacular tank) can blow it, and you'll never know until you see how the numbers shook out.

Pappy Q
07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't know, I'm never "in contention"

The_Kapn
07-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Every team at every competition is "in contention".

Just that some are more skilled or luckier than others.

TIM

Red Valley BBQ
This really depends of your definition of "in contention.". Any team that pays the entry fee is technically "in contention" because any team has a chance of winning on any given weekend. If you define it as having a shot to win, then you have to look at the number of quality calls a team gets.

big matt
A good example was the Jack winner this past year..if I remember right he won with 1 9th place call..that's where contest size and calls all over the place come in..here is the other end of the spectrum..if you only had 1 call but others had 3 and 4 would you still feel like you were still in contention?..my answer is hell no I wouldn't feel like I had it.

Paul I.A.B.30 BBQ
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't show up if I didn't feel we were "in contention". I feel we have a shot at it every contest. I believe most teams feel that way. So I guess my answer is I always feel I'm "in contention"

big matt
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I feel the same way Paul(looking forward to Vista)..I guess I should have stated at award time when the calls are handed out...everybody is in contention before awards but when the calls come down we all know he who has the most calls usually wins..not always but most of the time..and when you only have 1 and others have 3-4 you should expect you won't be winning that day..or aren't in contention.

didisea
07-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I saw a guy get 2 1st place calls and third place call and wound up 11th overall. The one category killed it for him. It all depends on the spread of points inside each category as well. It's never over until the last team is called.

Podge
07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
The year I won the jack, a good buddy didn't get a single call and ended up 6th overall.

boogiesnap
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
at my last event i was max(except chicken:wacko:)within 6 points of either 1st or 5th in every category.

i finished middle of the pack, not 1 call.

i knew i wasn't in contention for GC/RGC but dayum after getting the scores you really see how fine a line it is.

big matt
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your responses guys..I value everyones opinion..and it's why I love the brethren!

BBQ Grail
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Serious question.

Why does it matter? I'm really curious about why you asked.

Fornia
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Being a rather new competitor, I can understand that perhaps he's curious (like us) on what it takes to achieve GC status.

I think I've got a good grasp on it....as it seems like you need to put ALL categories together, without a 'bomb' on any single one. But as also said, the points will of course play into it. Let's face it....a 1st in chicken, isn't the same as 1st in ribs. The scoring is really what it comes down to.

As an example....our team's last contest in DC. In a scattered announcement of the awards (brisket called 1st, etc.)...we had a 5th in brisket, 2nd in ribs, 10th in pork. Our chicken has been our best entry in our few events. But....it was 20th (of 39 teams).

For a glimpse of a millisecond....we thought, "oh shoot, we've got a chance to beat Myron, Triggers, and Tuffy.

Back to earth boys.... 6th overall....but proudly, we did beat out 1 of the 'big boys'.

I guess it's that moment when your team thinks...."hey, we've got a shot here". It's a cool feeling. Even if you end up 6th, or 12th.

fnbish
07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Serious question.

Why does it matter? I'm really curious about why you asked.

I think he asked because after stating what "in contention" meant to him he then wanted to know what it means to other individuals just to see what people think. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things many of the questions on here don't really matter, but he was just interested in other opinions, which is what a lot of this forum is about.

big matt
07-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I think he asked because after stating what "in contention" meant to him he then wanted to know what it means to other individuals just to see what people think. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things many of the questions on here don't really matter, but he was just interested in other opinions, which is what a lot of this forum is about.

Took the words out of my mouth..just wanted to see the difference of opnions here..some people think one way some another..does it matter?..not really but I was curious..again thanks for all of the input.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
We know if we have a shot before we go to awards. Rarely are we surprised if we do bad. We've never won without at least 3 calls so if we get past brisket and we have three and nobody has 4 my heart is beating pretty fast. Obviously at a big contest 50+ this goes out the window.

jbrink01
07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Rogers AR, I had 2 - 180's and a 9th. I thought I had it. Total of 695. Ended up 4th. 700, 697 and 696 (I think) beat me. Great job Caveman ;-).

big matt
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Rogers AR, I had 2 - 180's and a 9th. I thought I had it. Total of 695. Ended up 4th. 700, 697 and 696 (I think) beat me. Great job Caveman ;-).

Jeff Smokin Clone and I had a conversation about your 2 180's last week..proves once again you never know ill the end.

Big Poppa
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
You dont know until brisket is called....I remember dana point last year...hehehehehe

big matt
07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
You dont know until brisket is called....I remember dana point last year...hehehehehe

Or until you see the score sheet and realize you lost GC by 25..oh I mean 15..bad at math..hahaha..love ya!

Pigs on Fire
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
In Georgia, it means you get 3 calls, one of them a top 5 in brisket or 4 top-10 calls.

It's really about doing well in all four categories. Until you do that, you don't have a chance, at least not around here.

BBQ Grail
07-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Ahhh....yeah you're right. In the grand scheme of things it don't really matter. But just as the OP was interested in other opinions I'm interested in why he wanted to know. I wasn't implying any opinion on his asking the question. I'm just curious...

So, the OP was curious about what other people's opinions were about what 'in contention" means and I'm just curious why he wanted to know. I'm not sure why my asking is such an issue with you. I don't do a lot of competition BBQ so my question was really to learn something. Learning things is a lot of what this forum is all about.

There isn't any negative to my asking. It certainly isn't a criticism of his asking.

I was just interested in his opinion of why the question was asked, which is what a lot of what this forum is all about.

If my question is a bone of contention then I will gladly withdraw the request...

Paul I.A.B.30 BBQ
07-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Let's be honest Matt. You know I love u but u asked because u r busting someone's balls from another thread. At least own it

big matt
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Let's be honest Matt. You know I love u but u asked because u r busting someone's balls from another thread. At least own it

Yes it started in the other thread but I didn't want to be off topic there so I started my own..honestly I got to thinking..are there more people out there that are that arrogant to think they are "in contention" everytime out even when they only have one low call and many others have multiple calls and high ones too..seems to me he's the only one so far..nobody is that dam good.

fnbish
07-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Ahhh....yeah you're right. In the grand scheme of things it don't really matter. But just as the OP was interested in other opinions I'm interested in why he wanted to know. I wasn't implying any opinion on his asking the question. I'm just curious...

So, the OP was curious about what other people's opinions were about what 'in contention" means and I'm just curious why he wanted to know. I'm not sure why my asking is such an issue with you. I don't do a lot of competition BBQ so my question was really to learn something. Learning things is a lot of what this forum is all about.

There isn't any negative to my asking. It certainly isn't a criticism of his asking.

I was just interested in his opinion of why the question was asked, which is what a lot of what this forum is all about.

If my question is a bone of contention then I will gladly withdraw the request...

Not an issue with me at all. People read too much into posts. Just as his original post made you curious as why does it matter I am curious why "what it matters" matters to you in this specific thread. Such a simple question you wanted to know, but that questions could literally be applied to any thread in here where people are looking for other people's opinions. So I am curious why this one stuck out to you out of all the other posts? There isn't anything negative in my asking, just wanting to know.

And come on. "I was just interested in the opinion of why the question was asked, which is a lot of what this forum is all about"? So a large portion of this forum is about questioning the motive(s) of the questions/threads on the forum? I thought it was about bbq, sharing bbq knowledge and getting people's opinions on bbq, etc.

timzcardz
07-11-2012, 06:39 AM
For us, "in contention" refers to the portion of competition before we start cooking.

Once we've started cooking, we are no longer in contention! :mrgreen:

Mister Bob
07-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Any given Sunday...

Lake Dogs
07-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I feel the same way Paul(looking forward to Vista)..I guess I should have stated at award time when the calls are handed out...everybody is in contention before awards but when the calls come down we all know he who has the most calls usually wins..not always but most of the time..and when you only have 1 and others have 3-4 you should expect you won't be winning that day..or aren't in contention.

Contention, in KCBS? for GC? yes? If so, Scottie hit it right off...

In some others you have only to compete in 1 of the events. Where KCBS is an accumulation of points, some other sanctioning bodies (ala. MBN and GBA to name a few) it's highest point in any one event for GC. As long as you're 1st place in any of the events you have a shot (ie. are in contention) at GC.

big matt
07-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Contention, in KCBS? for GC? yes? If so, Scottie hit it right off...

In some others you have only to compete in 1 of the events. Where KCBS is an accumulation of points, some other sanctioning bodies (ala. MBN and GBA to name a few) it's highest point in any one event for GC. As long as you're 1st place in any of the events you have a shot (ie. are in contention) at GC.

Hance,yes I meant KCBS sorry I should have been more clear..you make a good point as the rest you mentioned are best in show..which in that case you'd be in there.

bigabyte
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I think for a single contest, Kapn was right, everyone is in contention until judging is done. For TOY or something like that, then you're in contention based off of your remaining schedule and points so far.

RangerJ
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
for me... in contention equates to consistency.. of which I have none.

So, while its cool to think I'm going to run with the big dogs, the results over the last year have shown that I'm not in contention to win it all because I can't consistently produce the same 4 ( or 3 in IBCA) products at each competition.

Alexa RnQ
07-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I could have been a contender - YouTube