PDA

View Full Version : What determines a "State Champion" and qualifies you for The Jack?

snyper77
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
What's the process of determining a "State Champion" and qualifying for The Jack? Is it just one comp that you win or a series of comps that you have to accumulate the highest points or what??

If it's a series of comps, shouldn't all the comps be IN THE SAME STATE?

Thanks in advance for educating me. :biggrin1:

dmprantz
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I think Danny tried to answer this, but I'll try to explain in a more detailed answer below:

A "state championship" means virtually nothing. It implies that the executive or legislative branch of the state's government has declared through written proclamation "This competition is a state championship." Beyond that written proclaimation it has no weight. The winner of any such competition is not considered to be the actual champion of that state. It's only purpose as far as I know is to help that competition be a qualifier for The Jack or The Royal.

Getting into The Jack is a fairly complicated process with several ways to succeed it. There was a great post about it on the CBBQA forum a few years ago, and I'd recommend you read that because I won't try to enumerate all of the rules, especially since they aren't published. A team who received the rules once posted them on their Blog, but I couldn't find that entry last time I looked.

Essentially you have to win one of four competitions (MIM, HLSRS, ARO, or previous year's Jack) or at least one "Jack qualifier" and then have something else happen such as be the only person from the state to win or get drawn in a lottery system. That's the complicated part that I won't even try to explain because besides being complicated, the rules can change at BF's discretion.

To be a Jack qualifier, one of three conditions must be met by the competition:

Be a first year competition with a State Championship proclaimation and have at least 15 teams.

Be a second year or later competition with a State Championship proclaimation and have at least 25 teams.

Be any year competition and have at least 50 teams, regardless of State Championship status.

I think there's also a requirement that the competition must cook chicken, pork, and beef, and there may be an exhaustive list of sanctioning bodies whose competitions are allowed.

Anyway, that's the basics. Maybe some one else will give more details, or maybe you'll find the CBBQA post I mentioned. In the mean time, enjoy.

dmp

snyper77
07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Daniel, thanks for the info. Yes, I was still very confused after reading Danny's answer on FB and thought I'd try to get another "view" here.

Ok, so, you CAN be considered "State Champ" from winning only ONE comp and get into the Jack........that's what I wanted to confirm. Thanks again.

dmprantz
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes and no. You are never considered "The state champ" by winning a single competition, unless maybe it is the only state championship in that state. If you win one qualifier, state champ or non, it is possible to get into The Jack based on the draw or other criteria you may meet. In the end, the more qualifiers you win, the better your odds of getting in.

dmp

Slamdunkpro
07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I think there's also a requirement that the competition must cook chicken, pork, and beef, and there may be an exhaustive list of sanctioning bodies whose competitions are allowed.
dmp

You are correct in that it must be a 4 meat event, but unlike The American Royal The Jack does not require a sanctioning body (as of this writing)

dmprantz
07-06-2012, 04:05 PM
You are correct in that it must be a 4 meat event

My contention was that it must be a three meat event, with chicken, pork, and beef being required. This allows any cut of pork, including ribs. I mentioned this on here not to long ago, and some one confirmed it. It's always possible that I am confusing The Jack with The Royal with regard to this requirement.

dmp

Muzzlebrake
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
The Jack qualifying criteria are currently published in the July 2012 Bullsheet on page 18

Crash
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Hawaii and Alaska have been granted an exception to the team count for an Automatic Jack invite. Events that are sanctioned, have a Governor's Proclamation and have more than 10 teams competing will allow the GC to receive an automatic Jack invite.

This was explained to us by the IBCA reps this week at the Hilo Bay event.

Smoke'n Ice
07-06-2012, 06:44 PM
You must cook at least chicken , pork and beef; it must have a state championship proc (maybe); it must have 15 teams the first year and 25 thereafter; if 50 or over teams, the state proc is waived; all contest in a state that meet this criteria have their GC names placed in a draw; if only one contest in a state that meets the criteria (ie. Hawaii), then it is an automatic; if a team wins 7 gc that meet the criteria, then that is an automatic; after each state is drawn, then if a state is not represented by a state (meaning local wthin the boundaries of the state) team, then a selection is made from all of the GC qualified state teams using the lottery draw. There are also automatice: ie. HLSR, MIM, AR and others. If that is not confusing enough, then they can also make exceptions based on ? and allow or ban teams from the competition. It is the Jack and they make the rules. It is conducted under the competitor series guidelines of KCBS and they have additional rules. As an example you must cook pork, brisket, ribs and chicken (both white and dark meat must be turned in) to be in contention for the GC. If I missed any, please chime in.

dhuffjr
07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Ban teams? That is interesting. They have done that?