PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Lump Charcoal

Drh7003
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
A buddy of mine gave me half a bag of this stuff. He switched to a gasser so dropped this off for me for 4th of July. So I figured I would use it up, because of what everyone has said on here about it...

It burned nice (hey it was free!). Today I went out to clean out my Masterbuilt 7 in one that I did the pit beef on and it was still hot. Digging through the ash, I found a 3 x 6" piece of steel gusset plate. I guess it was made from old trusses or something. I am gonna dig through the rest of it and see if there are any nails!

DaChief
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
But remember....it was free.

Gore
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Those of us who've used Cowboy lump refer to these as the "Free prizes in every bag!"

I'm getting them in RO now too! :thumb:

1FUNVET
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Cowboy=Cracker Jacks.
A prize in every bag

Bamabuzzard
07-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Personally I've never had any "luck" with Cowboy Lump. In my opinion it is about a cheap of a lump charcoal as I've seen on the market.

NRA4Life
07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
If somebody tried to give me a free bag of Cowboy Lump I'd refuse it.

likeadeere
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I used Cowboy lump once, and found a bunch of baseboard scraps that were partially charred. Not that they aren't hardwood and won't work, it just left a weird feeling like something is wrong. So I don't use it.

plethoraofpinatas
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
There are lots of posts on here about the poor quality of Cowboy Lump. Personally I stopped using it after finding bits of steel wool, fiber insulation, and nails. It makes me sick to think I've served BBQ to friends that was cooked on smoldering insulation!

Kullas
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I dont use charcoal anymore

Ole Man Dan
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I found a great use for Cowboy Lump.
I throw it in the fire pit when we camp and it helps catch wood on fire.
(Sometimes it doesn't do that well either)

PS: I've found a lot of burnt nails after using that stuff.
Must have been pallet wood. The burnt concrete I throw in my driveway.
I call it recycling... NOT. :idea:

KingofTheCoals
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Found some steel strapping in my last bag of royal oak. That was a first.

thaberberger
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I've always hated lump myself. Never was a fan on the non uniform shape for slow burning. I use all natural briq's. About once a month though there's usually a post on the Brethren that gets me thinking maybe I should give lump a try again. This post, however, has not done that :-o

Timmohre
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Long time reader, first time poster. Here in Michigan at a store called Meijer I have gotten nothing but good size range, hi quality pieces. Geography thing, I.e proximity to packaging source or the inverse? This year's has been stellar. I even switched back to it from royal oak.....

nucornhusker
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I have been finding rocks in RO now too. I haven't used cowboy in years.

If "The Good One" is available in your area, give it a try. I love it.

El Ropo
07-06-2012, 09:49 PM
If you can find it in your area, I've never found a foreign object in B&B oak lump, and it burns longer and at higher temps than RO and other brands.

As far as different sizes in lump. I use a hammer and cold chisel to chop up larger logs in to closer to briquette sized pieces, always have.. it seemed like the right thing to do, plus you can pack'em in better for less air space in the basket.

MoyMch
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
There are lots of posts on here about the poor quality of Cowboy Lump. Personally I stopped using it after finding bits of steel wool, fiber insulation, and nails. It makes me sick to think I've served BBQ to friends that was cooked on smoldering insulation!

That would bother me as well. I wonder if anyone has ever complained to the company? It seems like that would be a health hazard.

jacksedona
07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
very strange all this stuff showing up in coal bags-whats the reason?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net