PDA

View Full Version : Holding chicken in (and out of) the bath

Chenernator
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I've been using a butter, apple juice, and BBQ sauce bath to good effect when it comes to bite-through skin. My question is: how long can you hold chicken in that bath? Or what are the drawbacks to holding it in there longer?

Somewhat related: how well does chicken do when held in a cooler or Cambro?

Pelkster
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I cooked some chicken for a party yesterday. Pulled it out of my cooker and went directly into half pans covered with foil placed into my Cambro. It sat for about 2 hours until dinner time. The chicken was still piping hot, and much to my amazement, the skin was still bite through! I don't know about the bath question...I don't cook mine that way ;)

BoneDaddy's
07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Are you talking for comp or catering?

Chenernator
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you talking for comp or catering?

Comp mainly, but I'd be curious how caterers manage.

Fatback Joe
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Have you had trouble with chicken being done too early at comps?

Chicken shouldn't realy need to be held IMO (just speaking of comps), pretty easy to dial in the finish time to the point where there should not be a need to hold.

Will be interested to see what other feedback you get and what your results are if you experiment with it at all.

Chenernator
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Have you had trouble with chicken being done too early at comps?

Chicken shouldn't realy need to be held IMO (just speaking of comps), pretty easy to dial in the finish time to the point where there should not be a need to hold.

Will be interested to see what other feedback you get and what your results are if you experiment with it at all.

Not at comps, just practicing and trying to dial things in. The question was really inspired by a run that was for dinner and the guests were late, leading me to try and hold the chicken until they arrived.